JLM: 2002 Rape Allegations at Liberty University

I hope that three things will happen as a result of this story from Liberty U.

1. I hope the victim comes forward--if not to the public, at least to LE. Her description of what happened to her could help shed light on JLM's MO, and could greatly help with the search for Hannah. By this I mean that if JLM tried to romance his victim by taking her to a "lover's lane" type place with a nice view, that implies he might have done the same with Hannah. But if his approach was brutal from the get-go, we might change the priority of those sites in our current search.

2. I hope schools will see that failure to realistically deal with sexual assault can literally lead to a situation where a dangerous person is allowed to fly under the radar for years. Had this incident been charged and JLM convicted, even of some lesser sexual assault, JLM would have had to register as a sex offender and it's far less likely we'd be searching for HG today. Heck, JLM might even have been able to get help, change his ways and go on to lead a far more normal life.

3. Most of all, I hope that everyone on this board will go out into everyday life and share the message that there is no such thing as "implied" consent to sex. This whole grey area business allows for muddying up the distinction between sex and rape, and it's not good for our kids. The standard should be: old enough, sober enough, and most of all, enthusiastic. This whole "she/he didn't say no" or "she/he led me on" stuff needs to go out the window. Teaching girls to walk with a friend and lock their doors is all well and good as far as it goes, but parents need to give their sons the message that if it ain't enthusiastic, it ain't consent.

And now I will get off the soapbox.

I strongly agree with your #1 - Go to LE first. Priest sexual abuse victims who went to police instead of church officials usually (not always) got more justice and results. Church and school officials have usually tended to cover-up and protect their institutions - not the victim.

Tragically, sexual abuse (which is always assault, always trauma) is not always met with sane, reasonable, sympathetic responses by parents, schools, church, friends. Even Freud did not believe his clients/patients.

I'm confused about something. I keep reading about universities not dealing with rape, but I'm confused about why the university is involved in the beginning. Wouldn't you go to LE immediately? Does LE toss it back to the school or something? If a crime was committed on me in a grocery store for instance I wouldn't contact the manager of the store. I'd contact LE.

I'm not excusing a university of its responsibility to its students, I'm just not understanding why they're given the authority that IMO belongs to LE when it comes to crimes.

The priests example above is a good one. I never understood why people expected the church to deal with crime. That certainly didn't work out well.

I 100% agree with this.

I went to Liberty University for 3 semesters (2012-2013) before transferring. The way LU handled their rules & discipline was a main factor of why I left.

At Liberty, my best friend/roommate was sexually assaulted by an athlete as well. 2 of my other close friends had been sexually assaulted within our freshman year also. In October, my roommate had been at a party past curfew (against the rules) and drinking (against the rules) so she did not report her rape to the school at first because she was scared she would get in trouble for drinking and being out past curfew. She finally broke down and reported it in February 4 months later. Lynchburg PD and LUPD were involved. I even had to give a statement. Since so much time had passed, Lynchburg PD could do nothing since there was lack of evidence. However, LU did expel the guy. My other 2 friends never reported their assaults in fear of getting in trouble with student conduct for breaking rules (curfew, etc)

These womens' experiences need to be documented through sworn testimony/deposition with an attorney and stenographer. Even without forensics, if they are willing to swear to tell the truth, it bears weight.

I'm disgusted by the clear number of assaults committed by young men, especially sports figures on campuses.
However, some young women are also sexual aggressors...on and off campus. I had a son and three daughters, so I know. Entrapment through sexual favors and even pregnancy is not uncommon.

Some parents are having talks with sons about serious legal issues and dangers (besides STDs) of sexual activity especially involving drinking, diminished capability, etc. before going off to university. A false rape accusation is the end of a young man's future career as an attorney or athlete. Abstinence is still the best and safest all round choice.

I could be wrong, but the way I've been interpreting things is that she did not want to follow through. Without her testimony against him, they really wouldn't have a case. I'm sure they probably discussed it with the victim beforehand, and decided that if put on the stand, she was not going to be a good witness at that point -- if she had started to back down out of fear or shame or whatever.

I also wonder if DAs often follow the wishes of a victim, when it comes to sex crimes. To someone who doesn't want to take it to trial, to be put on the stand and relive it would be like being victimized all over again. Unfortunately, that's also what is needed to stop a rapist from being on the streets and raping again, and again...

Yes, I think this is true - I think if the victim doesn't press charges, there's not much more that can be done. I know there's a need to protect the wrongfully accused, but I wonder if the law might change in Virginia on this point.

What I'm thinking about though is this: imagine how you'd feel if you were this Liberty U victim. You might feel a terrible guilt, because perhaps if you'd pressed charges, JM would be in jail, or at the very least he'd have a hard time getting a job and might be watched more closely, and maybe these deaths could have been prevented. I hope that she's ok and is getting support where she needs it.

Looks like JLM might have run into trouble at the school he attended after Liberty.

"Christopher Newport University has determined that there is a single file responsive to your inquiry regarding infractions against Matthew issued by University Police..."

The web address of this article indicates that it's about the connection with Morgan Harrington, but it discusses the fact that JLM moved to Christopher Newport U and was on the football team but left after only a month. At first it was thought that there was no info about why, but it turns out that university police did do a file on him. (I think this may explain why his name did not show up in the police database; maybe some of what happens on campus stays on campus.)

http://www.wric.com/story/26661221/...d-be-tied-to-2009-murder-of-morgan-harrington

I'm confused about something. I keep reading about universities not dealing with rape, but I'm confused about why the university is involved in the beginning. Wouldn't you go to LE immediately? Does LE toss it back to the school or something? If a crime was committed on me in a grocery store for instance I wouldn't contact the manager of the store. I'd contact LE.
I'm not excusing a university of its responsibility to its students, I'm just not understanding why they're given the authority that IMO belongs to LE when it comes to crimes.

The priests example above is a good one. I never understood why people expected the church to deal with crime. That certainly didn't work out well.

Some Universities have their own police departments......which Im sure causes no amount of frustration to the actual police.

Some Universities have their own police departments......which Im sure causes no amount of frustration to the actual police.

Yep, quite a few universities and colleges have their own police departments. Occasionally, some of them are very good and invested in justice. But they are also very secretive pretty much across the board (I read studies on this while getting my criminology degree. I can try to dredge them up if any one is interested.)

So you have institutions of higher education with their own police force. And I remember from my own "welcome to college!" week that we were highly encouraged to come to the school's authorities if we had any problem. So you end up with a situation where there's a bunch of teens just out of high school. Away from their parents for the first time, a bit homsick or adrift, and they are told that the university is totally invested in their best interests. Occasionally someone is raped or assaulted and their first instinct would be to get help from the university that promised them they would keep them safe. It's not the police but the police seem intimidating or scary, while the university is, at least, a known quantity. And, hey, they have their police units right? They must know what they're doing! But in most cases that I have heard about from friends, the university would then proceed waffle back and forth, ask them what they had done to provoke the attack, and generally waste time. Presumably in hopes of making the crime go away (particularly if the accusation is against a prominent student.) This can be devastating to a victim's chances for justice, because assault is a very time sensitive issue to report. Some of my friends did end up going to the police after being rejected by their university but, by that time, all evidence beyond testimony would be gone. And they didn't want to go to trial, explain their attack all over again, and then almost certainly watch their rapist get acquitted.

(This kind of powder keg situation goes double for a place like Liberty University. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe trust in authority plays a big role in that strain of christian fundamentalism? And the university's depicts itself as a more godly place than its neighboring secular institutions. So I can see how young adults who deeply respect authority and distrust the community surrounding them might feel disinclined to go to police.)

ETA: Just to shed further light on college student behavior + authority I'll talk a little about my campus's health center. It was notoriously negligent and helpful. We all knew this. It was a common source of gossip and complaint. And yet we returned to it time and time again, even though our campus was just a few blocks away from the hospital! I think this behavior tended to derive from the same sort of underlying instincts and needs. When you're in trouble, you tend to seek out familiar places for help. You also want to believe that this institution you've poured time (and in some cases money) into would care about you deep down.

LU has it's own police dept, just looked it up:
http://www.liberty.edu/administration/lupd/

Yep, quite a few universities and colleges have their own police departments. Occasionally, some of them are very good and invested in justice. But they are also very secretive pretty much across the board (I read studies on this while getting my criminology degree. I can try to dredge them up if any one is interested.)

So you have institutions of higher education with their own police force. And I remember from my own "welcome to college!" week that we were highly encouraged to come to the school's authorities if we had any problem. So you end up with a situation where there's a bunch of teens just out of high school. Away from their parents for the first time, a bit homsick or adrift, and they are told that the university is totally invested in their best interests. Occasionally someone is raped or assaulted and their first instinct would be to get help from the university that promised them they would keep them safe. It's not the police but the police seem intimidating or scary, while the university is, at least, a known quantity. And, hey, they have their police units right? They must know what they're doing! But in most cases that I have heard about from friends, the university would then proceed waffle back and forth, ask them what they had done to provoke the attack, and generally waste time. Presumably in hopes of making the crime go away (particularly if the accusation is against a prominent student.) This can be devastating to a victim's chances for justice, because assault is a very time sensitive issue to report. Some of my friends did end up going to the police after being rejected by their university but, by that time, all evidence beyond testimony would be gone. And they didn't want to go to trial, explain their attack all over again, and then almost certainly watch their rapist get acquitted.

(This kind of powder keg situation goes double for a place like Liberty University. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe trust in authority plays a big role in that strain of christian fundamentalism? And the university's depicts itself as a more godly place than its neighboring secular institutions. So I can see how young adults who deeply respect authority and distrust the community surrounding them might feel disinclined to go to police.)

ETA: Just to shed further light on college student behavior + authority I'll talk a little about my campus's health center. It was notoriously negligent and helpful. We all knew this. It was a common source of gossip and complaint. And yet we returned to it time and time again, even though our campus was just a few blocks away from the hospital! I think this behavior tended to derive from the same sort of underlying instincts and needs. When you're in trouble, you tend to seek out familiar places for help. You also want to believe that this institution you've poured time (and in some cases money) into would care about you deep down.

She did call the police. After it was investigated, she declined to prosecute. The University holds its students to very high moral standards. Just the fact that he admitted having sexual relations with her was enough for him to be booted out. They discourage any romantic attachments, or any physical contact with members of the opposite sex.

Hi folks! I am in my second year at LU. I would like to address a few things.

They discourage any romantic attachments, or any physical contact with members of the opposite sex.

This is not true. Romantic attachments are actually encouraged a great deal. The culture around Liberty is such that if you don't have a significant other then you are an oddball. Even the teachers encourage relationships. That being said, the only physical contact that is allowed, other than at Christmas time, is hand-holding, but very few follow that rule. Jerry Jr. actually hands out mistletoe to the students just before Christmas and allows kissing for a short period of time.

There has been an incredible change in the past two years when it comes to the problem of sexual exploitation. There are significant movements that have been spearheaded by the students and administration alike to crack down on the risk of sexual exploitation. Also, there are several young ladies that have become bright beacons in raising awareness about girls who have been seduced into allowing themselves to be exploited sexually, think *advertiser censored*. Yes, it occasionally happens, but not as much as it used too. In 2011 there were five reports of criminal sexual offenses. In 2012 and 2013 there were only two each year.

That being said, Jerry Sr. really is to blame for what happened in 2002. A former professor at LU is one of my housemates and he has told me that Jerry told the Football staff to recruit on talent, not religion. In the early 1990s there was another case in which a football player raped a girl. In that case Jerry decided to believe the player and not the girl. Why? Because the player's father was rich. The girl quit school because they would not believe her.

Here is an interesting tidbit for you. LU was practically bankrupt when Jerry Sr. died. In fact, it is likely that LU would not be around today if he had not died. See, LU was able to pay off all of their debt with his life insurance. Since he died, the school has grown by leaps and bounds and the culture has changed incredibly! Democrats (they are allowed to vote for democrats) and homosexuals (they can't practice their homosexuality) are even allowed to be students now.

Democrats (they are allowed to vote for democrats) and homosexuals (they can't practice their homosexuality) are even allowed to be students now.

Respectfully snipped.

Thank you for your reply. Very insightful.

Now to address the snipped portion, thank you for reminding me why I'm no longer Southern Baptist. I read "*advertiser censored*-SEXuuuals" in my head the way my preacher use to say it. Ugh.

We wonder why a university with such a mind set at the time, couldn't figure out how to handle a rape case. Growing up around that mindset, I'm surprised they admitted rape existed. At least they kicked him out.

But again, thank you for your reply.

Respectfully snipped.

Thank you for your reply. Very insightful.

Now to address the snipped portion, thank you for reminding me why I'm no longer Southern Baptist. I read "*advertiser censored*-SEXuuuals" in my head the way my preacher use to say it. Ugh.

We wonder why a university with such a mind set at the time, couldn't figure out how to handle a rape case. Growing up around that mindset, I'm surprised they admitted rape existed. At least they kicked him out.

But again, thank you for your reply.

If you get a chance look up a guy named John Wesley Reid. He is one of the most influential students on campus right now and is extremely popular. He has a spoken word video that apologizes to the gay community for how many Christians have treated them.

Funny thing, he got popular on a "crushes" facebook page dedicated to liberty students. He even helps mod my LU Encouragement page.

This is slightly O/T as it is about Oregon University, but I thought the statistics in this article were mind blowing. It just goes to show how many of these incidents are "swept under the rug":

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ten-percent-of-female-university-of-oregon-students-raped-survey/ar-BB6VsaQ

University researchers said 35 percent of students - and 14 percent of men - had at least one forcible sexual encounter and about 90 percent of students assaulted never told of the violence.

Someone asked how sexual assault would be dealt with at a major football school. Here is an article on something that happened at Notre Dame, one of the most storied football schools of all. It's written by an alumna who's pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

Sadly, it's unlikely that this was an isolated incident--imho it's more of an extreme and unfortunate example of an unhealthy culture that exists at many colleges but does the most damage at religious schools, where failure to fight an attacker "to the death" is viewed as proof of sin.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/

Someone asked how sexual assault would be dealt with at a major football school. Here is an article on something that happened at Notre Dame, one of the most storied football schools of all. It's written by an alumna who's pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

Sadly, it's unlikely that this was an isolated incident--imho it's more of an extreme and unfortunate example of an unhealthy culture that exists at many colleges but does the most damage at religious schools, where failure to fight an attacker "to the death" is viewed as proof of sin.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/

BBM

Is the part that I bolded your own personal opinion? Never have I ever in my entire life encountered this viewpoint and I have been raised a Christian in the Bible Belt, as well as lived in other regions of the country. I could see how some small faction might believe this, but not the Christian community as a whole.

I agree with you that this sort of thing happens way too often, not just at big football schools but in a number of scenarios. However, info in a blog or article with the intent to push a view is not the most accurate place to find out exactly what happened. In a number of cases, a good writer with a good story, makes things look quite different than the reality. I've seen this a number of time in a number of situations when I 100% knew the story.

If there was truly injustice done here, more should be done. Pressure from MSM for a start. Even if there is truly insufficient evidence to press charges, and that often is a huge stumbling block in rape cases, there should be a record fo charges filed, something that is there if in the future, any of those involved have other similar issues arise.

As to phone calls threatening the victim if she reports a case, every single one of them should be traced and the owner of the phones who sent them should be put on notice, so again there is a record. If it's many team member phones, there should be a public shaming.

In most cases of reported rape, it's very difficult to get anything even close to charges to be filed. Unlike with an assault where visible injury is evidence, unless the girl has physically evidence of assault, and unless it's something that is reported right away as in the one rape case that is linked to MH's, it simply does not meet burden of proof. To change that burden leads into a lot of other problems in the way our justice system works.

In JM"s cases, the schools did what they could. That LE could not procede any further, that the victims maybe didn't want it to go any further, is not something the schools could or should get involved in. Many people feel that the accused for anything should be convicted by LE before a school takes sanction for anything when it comes to serious accusations. Other wise a school is opening itself up to law suits. If I were accused of something that happened to be frivolous, and wrong, a lie, I certainly want my day in court to defend myself, and a school, a job, anything should not presume guilt until it is so determined in a court of law. So there is that gray area as to what sanctions a school can impose before a court verdict is received. Many schools just have rules in there that they use to flush someone rather than wait that long. I know in the case of Liberty U, it doesn't take a whole lot to get expelled for moral turpitude.

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) released today a list of the higher education institutions under investigation for possible violations of federal law over the handling of sexual violence and harassment complaints.

<snip>

This list reflects investigations open as of May 1, 2014. Schools are listed alphabetically by state.

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...st-higher-education-institutions-open-title-i

Among those on list: Occidental, UCal-Berkeley, U Chicago, Amherst Coll, Boston U, Emerson, Harvard, Princeton, Sarah Lawrence, UVirginia...

Hardly, a problem of predominantly Christian colleges and universities IMO.

Colleges Are Breaking the Law on Sex Crimes, Report Says

http://time.com/2969580/claire-mccaskill-campus-sexual-assault-rape/

Reporting Rape, and Wishing She Hadn&#8217;t

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/us/how-one-college-handled-a-sexual-assault-complaint.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018
Back