JLM: 2002 Rape Allegations at Liberty University

I agree with you that this sort of thing happens way too often, not just at big football schools but in a number of scenarios. However, info in a blog or article with the intent to push a view is not the most accurate place to find out exactly what happened. In a number of cases, a good writer with a good story, makes things look quite different than the reality. I've seen this a number of time in a number of situations when I 100% knew the story.

If there was truly injustice done here, more should be done. Pressure from MSM for a start. Even if there is truly insufficient evidence to press charges, and that often is a huge stumbling block in rape cases, there should be a record fo charges filed, something that is there if in the future, any of those involved have other similar issues arise.

As to phone calls threatening the victim if she reports a case, every single one of them should be traced and the owner of the phones who sent them should be put on notice, so again there is a record. If it's many team member phones, there should be a public shaming.

In most cases of reported rape, it's very difficult to get anything even close to charges to be filed. Unlike with an assault where visible injury is evidence, unless the girl has physically evidence of assault, and unless it's something that is reported right away as in the one rape case that is linked to MH's, it simply does not meet burden of proof. To change that burden leads into a lot of other problems in the way our justice system works.

In JM"s cases, the schools did what they could. That LE could not procede any further, that the victims maybe didn't want it to go any further, is not something the schools could or should get involved in. Many people feel that the accused for anything should be convicted by LE before a school takes sanction for anything when it comes to serious accusations. Other wise a school is opening itself up to law suits. If I were accused of something that happened to be frivolous, and wrong, a lie, I certainly want my day in court to defend myself, and a school, a job, anything should not presume guilt until it is so determined in a court of law. So there is that gray area as to what sanctions a school can impose before a court verdict is received. Many schools just have rules in there that they use to flush someone rather than wait that long. I know in the case of Liberty U, it doesn't take a whole lot to get expelled for moral turpitude.

I find your posts very interesting and informed, jamicat, but will have to disagree with you in that it seems you feel the majority of schools are doing a fair job of handling the sexual assault and rape allegations that come before their staff. I believe there is enough historic proof (Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and, more recently the Penn State scandals) to demonstrate that there needs to be a complete examination of each and every public and private place of higher education. I believe this neglect is a national crime that is raging just below the surface of realization of parents and aspiring students.

I find your posts very interesting and informed, jamicat, but will have to disagree with you in that it seems you feel the majority of schools are doing a fair job of handling the sexual assault and rape allegations that come before their staff. I believe there is enough historic proof (Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and, more recently the Penn State scandals) to demonstrate that there needs to be a complete examination of each and every public and private place of higher education. I believe this neglect is a national crime that is raging just below the surface of realization of parents and aspiring students.

100% agree!

It's very easy to say that LU did what they could by turning it over to LE and expelling JLM. But LU had a significant vested interest in not being embarrassed by one of their "star" football players going on trial for rape. Why did a victim who originally came forward and even went to the hospital suddenly not want to move forward with pressing charges? Did LU pressure her or make a deal with her? I don't believe for 2 seconds that a school who has covered up these things in the past didn't have any weight on this victim (who was a current student) when she decided not to proceed. But as I said in my first post today - it needs to be investigated further. If LU expelled him in exchange for her agreeing not to move forward with charges in order to keep it all from going public, then there are serious serious concerns.

I'm confused about something. I keep reading about universities not dealing with rape, but I'm confused about why the university is involved in the beginning. Wouldn't you go to LE immediately? Does LE toss it back to the school or something? If a crime was committed on me in a grocery store for instance I wouldn't contact the manager of the store. I'd contact LE.

I'm not excusing a university of its responsibility to its students, I'm just not understanding why they're given the authority that IMO belongs to LE when it comes to crimes.

The priests example above is a good one. I never understood why people expected the church to deal with crime. That certainly didn't work out well.

UVA is also one of those Universities that has their own campus police department. To make matters worse, UVA has a program of "student self governance" which means that when students violate the Code of Conduct or the Honor Code, they go before a panel of their peers - no faculty or staff are involved other than to file complaints and to testify at trials. UVA has NEVER expelled a male student accused of rape/sexual assault. Their peers are often too concerned that it's a "he said/she said" situation and put the burden of proof on the accuser to prove that an assault happened. They don't want to expel a fellow student without absolute proof. When you take into consideration that 1 in 4 college women will be the victim of sexual assault while attending college, it's inconceivable that UVA has never thrown a student out for rape. As a UVA alum, when I discovered that little tidbit, I was livid. I hope that this case, so close to home will cause UVA to really reevaluate their stance on investigating/reporting/punishing sexual assaults. As someone else has mentioned, UVA is also part of a Title IX violation investigation.

Here is an interesting tidbit for you. LU was practically bankrupt when Jerry Sr. died. In fact, it is likely that LU would not be around today if he had not died. See, LU was able to pay off all of their debt with his life insurance. Since he died, the school has grown by leaps and bounds and the culture has changed incredibly! Democrats (they are allowed to vote for democrats) and homosexuals (they can't practice their homosexuality) are even allowed to be students now.

Actually, the school was well on it's way with it's expansion and growth several years prior to Jerry Sr's death due to the explosion of their online school in the early 2000's. Also I don't believe anyone was told who they had to vote for in elections before or after his death.

But back on subject, like all schools, I think the administration wants to keep unwanted statics regarding rape and other on-campus criminal activity out of the news as much as possible. Being a Christian school I have no doubt that attitude was even more prevalent at Liberty.

I don't know the details surrounding the '02 rape incident but it's a shame charges weren't filed which could have kept JM's crimes in the last dozen years from having occurred.

That was an excellent and worthwhile post, Traveling Bug.
While I have almost no experience or knowledge of religious colleges, I thought that there could have been perhaps an exaggeration of what happen with respect to the rape. We are not getting very much information about it. We don't know if a rape actually took place (I mean penetration).

I don't think the college tried to sweep this under the rug at all. I think a religious college like this would do precisely what they did and expel anyone that they even suspected of doing anything immoral under their beliefs.

I become more and more alone in my belief in innocent until proven guilty. This news about Jesse coming at this time is really bad for him. Me, I still am keeping this college ordeal when he was only 20 years old separate from the HG disappearance. I am nothing like the person I was when I was 20.

Detective Klimpt, my views differ from yours so I hope you don't mind if I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Why would you even suspect that this young woman would "exaggerate" (lie about?) a rape allegation?
2. What difference would it make if there was "penetration" or not? I'm not clear how much more serious sexual assault is than rape but I do believe either one should be prosecuted.
3. Under what protection do these offenders stand, that they are only expelled from their academic institute rather than facing legal charges?
4. And on the comment about "belief in 'innocent until proven guilty,'" seems to me quite single minded. Are you then saying the accuser is guilty of a false charge? Shouldn't the accusers be given the benefit of the doubt as equally?
TIA for your consideration.

I want to commend this young lady, back in 02, for having been brave enough to report her rape. Often, even when survivors are willing to press charges, the DA's office (or school law enforcement or OSI), refuses to bring charges for one reason or another. My daughter wanted her case to be prosecuted but the OSI/JAG at the Academy refused, saying they didn't have enough evidence. (Ha, he had confessed!) True, the accuser does have the option of refusing to press charges but it is also very often that they are not permitted to.
I am not confident exactly why this case was not prosecuted at this time.

Detective Klimpt, my views differ from yours so I hope you don't mind if I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Why would you even suspect that this young woman would "exaggerate" (lie about?) a rape allegation?
2. What difference would it make if there was "penetration" or not? I'm not clear how much more serious sexual assault is than rape but I do believe either one should be prosecuted.
3. Under what protection do these offenders stand, that they are only expelled from their academic institute rather than facing legal charges?
4. And on the comment about "belief in 'innocent until proven guilty,'" seems to me quite single minded. Are you then saying the accuser is guilty of a false charge? Shouldn't the accusers be given the benefit of the doubt as equally?
TIA for your consideration.

Only hitting the thanks button was not enough for this commendable post. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry for chopping up this excellent post, but have a point to make about this question. I can absolutely see a woman making a false accusation of rape...because he broke her heart and she's a sociopath or narcissist who wants to ruin his life. Um, that's literally the only reason I can come up with.

How often, men of the world, do you think the alleged victims of rape are raging sociopaths? Apparently, universities and owners of professional sports teams thinks this scenario is just as likely, and happens just as often, as men commit rape. WHY do people think this? What is it about the female gender that makes us so untrustworthy vs. males?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for chopping up this excellent post, but have a point to make about this question. I can absolutely see a woman making a false accusation of rape...because he broke her heart and she's a sociopath or narcissist who wants to ruin his life. Um, that's literally the only reason I can come up with.

How often, men of the world, do you think the alleged victims of rape are raging sociopaths? Apparently, universities and owners of professional sports teams thinks this scenario is just as likely, and happens just as often, as men commit rape. WHY do people think this? What is it about the female gender that makes us so untrustworthy vs. males?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent question, Jules. It does seem, doesn't it, that when a female reports a male of sexual assault or rape, the the first thought that comes to many's minds is "what does she have to gain?"

And yet, when a person reports a theft, rarely does anyone first assume that the reporter is out to scam their insurance company.

How can we change this? We need to in order to prevent perverts like JL Matthew from having the upper hand.

http://www.wset.com/story/26692543/...e-case-details-over-to-charlottesville-police

Lynchburg Commonwealth Attorney, Michael Doucette has turned over the twelve year old rape allegations against Jesse Leroy Matthew Junior to investigators in Charlottesville and Albemarle County. The case involves rape allegations at Liberty University in October of 2002. Matthew was never charged in the case. Doucette tells ABC 13 News that there was a "complaint made, (by the alleged victim). It was investigated by the Lynchburg Police Department...a detective was later assigned." However, Doucette says that the prosecutor at the time, dropped the case against Matthew due to a "lack of evidence," and the fact that there were no witnesses to verify the alleged victim's allegations that Matthew raped her at Liberty's Vines Center, the school's sports arena.

One reason the case was dropped was because there were no witnesses? Really??

Incidents Jesse Matthew Jr. has been connected to:
•Oct. 17, 2002 – Alleged sexual assault at Liberty University
•Sept. 7, 2003 – Reported CNU assault
•Sept. 24, 2005 – Northern Virginia rape (forensic evidence linked to Morgan Harrington case)
•Oct. 17, 2009 – Morgan Harrington disappearance
•Sept. 13, 2014 – Hannah Graham disappearance

Law enforcement investigating cases for possible connection to Matthew:
•July 24, 2003 — Autumn Day in Newport News
•Sept. 7, 2003 – Sophia Rivera in Newport News
•August 26, 2009 – Heidi Childs and David Metzler, in Blacksburg
•Oct. 10, 2009 – Cassandra Morton, not far from Lynchburg
•Sept. 13, 2010 – Samantha Clarke, in Orange County

Cases unsolved in the area near Charlottesville
•Jan. 24, 2010 – Joan Cook, Roanoke County
•Nov. 21, 2011 — Lauren Smith, Madison County
•Nov. 20, 2012 — Dashad Sage Smith, Charlottesville
•August 3, 2013 – Alexis Murphy, Shipman (Randy Taylor jailed for this, body never found)

Anyone with info is asked to call the tipline at 434-295-3851

http://wtvr.com/2014/10/02/randy-taylor-lawyer-wants-dna-tests-to-check-for-jesse-matthew-link/

there's a laps there of 4 years between
Sept. 24, 2005 and Oct. 17, 2009
anyone know where he was during those years?

Incidents Jesse Matthew Jr. has been connected to:
•Oct. 17, 2002 – Alleged sexual assault at Liberty University
•Sept. 7, 2003 – Reported CNU assault
•Sept. 24, 2005 – Northern Virginia rape (forensic evidence linked to Morgan Harrington case)
•Oct. 17, 2009 – Morgan Harrington disappearance
•Sept. 13, 2014 – Hannah Graham disappearance

Law enforcement investigating cases for possible connection to Matthew:
•July 24, 2003 — Autumn Day in Newport News
•Sept. 7, 2003 – Sophia Rivera in Newport News
•August 26, 2009 – Heidi Childs and David Metzler, in Blacksburg
•Oct. 10, 2009 – Cassandra Morton, not far from Lynchburg
•Sept. 13, 2010 – Samantha Clarke, in Orange County

•Jan. 24, 2010 – Joan Cook, Roanoke County
•Nov. 21, 2011 — Lauren Smith, Madison County
•Nov. 20, 2012 — Dashad Sage Smith, Charlottesville
•August 3, 2013 – Alexis Murphy, Shipman (Randy Taylor jailed for this, body never found)

Anyone with info is asked to call the tipline at 434-295-3851

http://wtvr.com/2014/10/02/randy-taylor-lawyer-wants-dna-tests-to-check-for-jesse-matthew-link/

As someone from Charlottesville, I find it frustrating that people keep making reference to certain cases with the insinuation that Matthew may be linked to them. And this isn't directed toward you, richandfamous, just an observation of mine.
1. Alexis Murphy - her murderer is in jail. To list this case under the "unsolved" is misleading. There was substantial evidence to convict him even without her body. Frankly, I think it's insulting to her family and to the police to imply that they got the wrong guy.
2. Samantha Clarke - the person who is in jail for murdering Alexis Murphy had contact with Samantha 5 times the night she disappeared (he called her house). I'm sorry, that's just too big of a "coincidence" to overlook.
3. Dashad Smith - "she" was to meet Erik McFadden for a date the day she disappeared. When police questioned McFadden, he claimed Sage never showed. He became a POI in the case and when police wanted to question him further, he skipped town. To this day, McFadden hasn't been located, nor has Sage.

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/23/randy-taylor-sentence/

"Taylor’s lawyer stated in his client maintains his innocence, but knows where Murphy’s body is located.

Taylor’s attorney said that his client claimed a third person was involved and that Taylor would reveal the body’s location in exchange for 20 year sentence."

Thanks for all the info on the other ones.

I wouldn't call this case "unsolved." A jury of Mr. Taylor's peers examined the evidence presented in the trial and concluded that Mr. Taylor murdered Alexis Murphy.

As someone from Charlottesville, I find it frustrating that people keep making reference to certain cases with the insinuation that Matthew may be linked to them. And this isn't directed toward you, richandfamous, just an observation of mine.
1. Alexis Murphy - her murderer is in jail. To list this case under the "unsolved" is misleading. There was substantial evidence to convict him even without her body. Frankly, I think it's insulting to her family and to the police to imply that they got the wrong guy.
2. Samantha Clarke - the person who is in jail for murdering Alexis Murphy had contact with Samantha 5 times the night she disappeared (he called her house). I'm sorry, that's just too big of a "coincidence" to overlook.
3. Dashad Smith - "she" was to meet Erik McFadden for a date the day she disappeared. When police questioned McFadden, he claimed Sage never showed. He became a POI in the case and when police wanted to question him further, he skipped town. To this day, McFadden hasn't been located, nor has Sage.

/agree The temptation by the press and some to make him everyone's boogeyman just strains credulity. While IF he is the perp in the rape, HG, and MH, I am sure there are others. However, to shoehorn him into every missing girl within 100 miles is reaching.

there's a laps there of 4 years between
Sept. 24, 2005 and Oct. 17, 2009
anyone know where he was during those years?

Not sure. Maybe he was in a committed relationship? Serial killers can go dormant, but they never totally age out of it, do they?

Not sure. Maybe he was in a committed relationship? Serial killers can go dormant, but they never totally age out of it, do they?

There has to be a trigger. Could be he was spooked after the Fairfax attack; he clearly tried to kill her but had to flee leaving her alive and able to ID him.

Ugh. Can you even imagine it? I would not be able to sleep for years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back