Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So youcall. mrs Mcall weird also then as she was at the get together

I think he means the place by fordland

Thanks, but not sure where that is. A link to a map location would help. Also, I don't think anyone here is calling Mrs. McCall weird. She had and has good intentions. Things were very confusing for everyone involved when the 3 women went missing, a very unusual crime. Any of us adults may have reacted in similar fashion. Its just helpful to take that confusion into context when trying to figure out what really happened that night and when.

I don’t see the point of confessing and withholding the location of the bodies. Wouldn’t any transfer or sentence reduction be contingent on proof of the person’s guilt? The more I think and read the more I lean towards the idea that SPD knows who but they lack evidence.

I think that it's quite possible SPD knows who, or at least has a solid theory, but don't have enough to convict. It's probably true that a transfer or sentence reduction is contingent on proof, but if that proof would lead to Hall being charged with additional crimes, I don't think he'd be eager to lead LE to evidence like victims' bodies. There was a man who was recruited by LE to go undercover and try to get info about the location of several of Hall's victims' bodies (in prison, after a confession made by Hall), but the key is that this other man would get a sentence reduction when the bodies were found and linked to Hall. I don't know how much Hall could stand to gain by disclosing location. He could confess to ease his conscience, or even with the desire to be recognized for his crimes (and feed off that attention), knowing that the charges wouldn't stick because they didn't have/couldn't find sufficient evidence.

It has a colorful history. Here's the location.

Thanks so much, @the_p0ssum . Yikes, that place looks scary. As an Ozark ex-patriate, I know these kinds of caves, sinkholes, rivers, etc. are all over the area. You're right, its not far from Spgfld. If that's the final burial place, it sure indicates someone with deep knowledge of the area and the ability to access that property.

Others here mentioned the James River & Pierson Creek, which is not far from this location. Wonder why LE never searched Devil's Den?

If the burial site is at any of these above, especially any location on private property, the killers would have to be local. None of these locations are in commonly traveled areas, off a the side of a busy road or even a short drive away from a busy highway.

There were no GPS trackers or navigation gadgets back then, so an out of town serial killer would not have been able to find any of these locations. These would be known to locals who did a lot of hiking, fishing and/or hunting, or who personally owned the property.

ETA: Is Devil's Den located on private property? It looks like it. Here's a link to the street view. Anyone driving by wouldn't know it was there unless they knew of it, JMO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Last edited:
I would like to know how deep the water is also se just what is at the bottom

Hard to know, it could go down for miles.

Here's something similar called Devil's Hole in Death Valley NP in California.

Devils Hole - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Two divers disappeared in Devil's Hole in 1965. Their bodies have never been recovered. : UnresolvedMysteries

Similar also to many of those formations out in Yellowstone NP, except those are hot water.

I'm not an expert, but they're probably above ground openings that go to underground aquifers, which could stretch for many miles.

M.A.D.D. is a non-profit organization separate from any police agencies. Any affiliation with a police department would be more for publicity and community awareness. This link is no reason to assume DR is a member of the police department or had any formal police training. She was a contact, much as a reported from a TC station or newspaper would be.
I didn’t imply nor did I assume DR was a formally trained police officer. I offered as a possibility in response to the question of why people were there that whoever called DR might’ve done so hoping if she didn’t know what to do she might know someone through her affiliation with SPD that could advise them. IMO if DR answered a phone on behalf of MADD at SPD she was affiliated with SPD. I’ve read nothing to indicate DR was a friend of Sherrill’s so to me it’s a possibility that makes sense. Janis said they didn’t call 911 because it wasn’t an emergency. I think Janelle and her parents shared Janis’s mindset and called DR for advice and luckily she had the wherewithal to let Janis know what was going on.

I didn’t imply nor did I assume DR was a formally trained police officer. I offered as a possibility in response to the question of why people were there that whoever called DR might’ve done so hoping if she didn’t know what to do she might know someone through her affiliation with SPD that could advise them. IMO if DR answered a phone on behalf of MADD at SPD she was affiliated with SPD. I’ve read nothing to indicate DR was a friend of Sherrill’s so to me it’s a possibility that makes sense. Janis said they didn’t call 911 because it wasn’t an emergency. I think Janelle and her parents shared Janis’s mindset and called DR for advice and luckily she had the wherewithal to let Janis know what was going on.

Yes, I'm sure they were all confused, but it was a big mistake to let it drag on for so long, JMO. I don't usually make this kinds of comparisons, but I would have called parents and LE hours before they finally did. Like, by early afternoon at the latest. The cars, the purses, the clothing, etc still there....:(

How could someone with an IQ of only 80 kidnap and kill 3 healthy women all by himself? In an area where he didn't live and wasn't familiar with? No offense and I respect all theories, but the more I read about that guy, the less likely it seems.

People in prison often slyly hint they may have committed or know about certain crimes as a way of getting moved to a better place, etc.

Supposedly he said his twin had been stalking one of the women while they were in town for a Civil War reenactment. I read this on another site. If there were 2 men..it would have been easier to subdue the 3. Not saying they were involved at all.

Supposedly he said his twin had been stalking one of the women while they were in town for a Civil War reenactment. I read this on another site. If there were 2 men..it would have been easier to subdue the 3. Not saying they were involved at all.
Here is another strange note:
Dennis Rader ...Wichita serial killer wrote a letter to a television station with a symbol that looks like a shield...In the top quadrant is the letter C....In the bottom..L ...the left middle is another C and right middle "tre" with a missing letter...3? It could be Cheryl with a C and Levitt as L...then see C...3.
He mentions "Cave Land"....Ozarks?
I realize this is way out there..but he was in Springfield that month visiting a cousin.
He has a history of subduing multiple people in one house.

Dennis Rader ...Wichita serial killer wrote a letter to a television station with a symbol that looks like a shield...In the top quadrant is the letter C....In the bottom..L ...the left middle is another C and right middle "tre" with a missing letter...3? It could be Cheryl with a C and Levitt as L...then see C...3.
I realize this is way out there..but he was in Springfield that month visiting a cousin.

Are you doing genealogy research for your novels ? If so , see if you find a link between Dennis and MGR .

Are you doing genealogy research for your novels ? If so , see if you find a link between Dennis and MGR .
MGR?...I did genealogy research on serial killers for my thesis as a side project and found the majority descend from Virginia/West Virginia and still have ties there and Tennessee.

MGR?...I did genealogy research on serial killers for my thesis as a side project and found the majority descend from Virginia/West Virginia and still have ties there and Tennessee.
Identify MGR? Pm?
I am not familiar with most suspects/victim families

I think in 1992 I got detailed phone records with my bill. They need to look at the phone bill again. Maybe Sherrill made outgoing calls or she received incoming calls after she spoke with her friend.
I hope they also checked to see the last time any of them used their credit cards, if they had any. This would help provide an accurate whereabouts timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anon123123