CANADA Canada - Nicole Morin, 8, Toronto, 30 July 1985

Here is a new article I’ve never seen before; 8 Aug 1988, 24 - Calgary Herald at Newspapers.com

Calgary Herald, Aug 8, 1988 p. 24.

According to this one, Jeanette saw a psychic in North Bay, Ontario and didn’t say who she was but told her about Nicole. Apparently the psychic named Nora said the girl was taken by a couple and alive and well on a farm in Calgary and that her name had been changed to Debbie or Deborah and circled a few towns she could be in. The couple was apparently between 40 and 50yrs old and from Toronto.

I wonder if police checked this out? I don’t believe in psychics but I believe a mother might take one seriously.

ETA subsequent articles say RCMP did look for her in Calgary and at various schools but have the name of the psychic listed as someone else. Interesting. Will post a followmup link with this info in a new post shortly.

Last edited:
North Bay Nuggett- Aug 3, 1988 p. 22

This one says Jeanette went to Calgary and asked police to investigate so they did. The Psychic this time is named as Linda McKay who apparently first worked on the case a year prior and whom Jeanette went to again for further help. The search doesn’t seem to have yielded clues.

ETA: further reading of another areticle clarifies the psychic is the same as the Nora mentioned in another article I posted above. Linda McKay also went by 3/4 Nora or Nora the North
link: 3 Aug 1988, 16 - The Sault Star at Newspapers.com
The Sault Stat - Aug 3, 1988 p.16

Last edited:
Red Dear Advocate - April 29, 1986 p. 14
Says police ‘have reason to believe she may be in the area” and is an appeal to the pun]bloc for help. I wonder what made them think she may be in Calgary as early as 1986? Note that Jeanette asked CaLeary RCMP to help after seeing a psychic in Aug, 1988. I wonder whether Jeanette knew they’d been looking for her there back in 1986?

Edmonton Journal, Sept 1, 1985, p. 4
Per this article the search had spread to Edmonton by Sept 1985 which was only a few weeks after she went missing. The article did note they had ‘no reason to believe she is here’ which I found interesting really. Why have an article in the paper that you’re looking there for her if you didn’t think she could be there or had no reason to believe she might be? Did they have a suspect in mind that led them there so soon? Were police pressured for a statement and hoping to throw someone off by saying they didn’t believe she was there? Interesting too how soon the search went out west and how police revisited the Calgary in subsequent years.

The Standard (St. Catherines) July w1, 2014 p. 44
according to this all fam and acquaintances cleared. Also some inflicting reports as to whether she got off the elevator where she was supposed to. Also notes that a few persons of interest were interviewed but doesn’t name any.

13 Aug 1985, 2 - North Bay Nugget at Newspapers.com
‘North Bay Nugget - Aug 13 1985, p 2

Police advise that in her plastic bag she was carrying ‘green velveteen shorts with piping, a white t shirt with a logo, a hairbrush, googles with black and yellow trim and a brown bottle of sunscreen.’ (I can’t screenshot and I put it in quotes but it’s paraphrased, it isnt a direct verbatim quote). I’ve never heard that before about the bi way bag contents. Have you? nothing of it has ever been found that I know of.

11 Dec 1999, 81 - The Windsor Star at Newspapers.com
The Windsor Star - December 11, 1999 p. 81

She never made it to the ground floor. She may not have even made it to the elevator”. Quote is by article author not police but interesting to consider since earlier articles say Jeannette watched Nicole go down the corridor. Did she not have a view of the elevator to see her daughter get on it or had she stopped watching before Nicole reached i?

The Sun Times (Owen Sound) - Aug 6, 1985 p. 9

This one says Jeanette said the green headband that was found did not belong to Nicole. But in the article I posted up above (post 540) she said she couldn’t say if it was her daughter’s or not. Which is it? She wasn’t sure or she ruled it out for some reason? I wish we had the headband to test. I wonder if police ever did?

Whitehorse Daily Star - Nov 9, 1995 - p. 15

Profiler John Douglas (I recall his work on JonBenet Ramsay’s case) profiled Nicole’s abductor. Not every profile is accurate. They point out that Paul Bernardo was profiled as two blue collar men. Interesting I didn’t know this.Apparently his profile of Christine Jessie’s killer lead police to arrest Guy Paul Morin in that case showing again it’s not always spot on. This is a really interesting article to read if you can access it.

Last edited:
That’s it for now. I’d have liked to have given all those in order but I couldn’t get them to sort so it is what it is. I can also confirm, Nicole made the papers in Ireland as well. That’s tomorrows project but I don’t think I’ll find anything new there sadly.

As promised, I'm now looking at newspapers from other parts of the world - I found this interesting article all the way over in Dubling, Ireland. Register | British Newspaper Archive
Evening Herald - Wednesday April 30,1986 p.3

According to this article, both parents had Irish connections and there was a belief that she may have been "abducted to Ireland". The article goes on to note that a security firm in Dublin (called K. Security) had been contacted for help to look for the child as both parents may have Irish connections. An employee of the company was quoted as saying, "We are not sure yet what exactly the family's Irish connections are, but the surname may have changed from either Morrin or Moran...".

The employee was asked why it was felt the child might be in Ireland, she said, "at the time her parents had temporarily separated and members of the family may have felt an unstable home was not the place for a young girl"

I wonder who contacted the security firm in Dublin to look for the girl? Was this done by the Toronto police? By the mother? The father? Did the firm volunteer or were they paid investigators? Its really interesting to me that someone thought this was an actual possibility that they connected with the firm to help them look! I guess nothing came of this idea though sadly.

This case is maddening!! A little girl does not simply vanish never to be seen or heard from again, and yet, here we are and that is precisely what seems to have happened!! Someone knows what happened to Nicole and where she is. If you could ask anyone any questions in this case, who would you look to speak with, and what would you want to ask them?

I'd like to ask the following people the following things:
JEANETTE:
-> did you confirm with JM's parents that the girls were meant to swim that day (not judging, I want to know if any other adults may have heard / learned of the plan who may have then seen an opportunity to take her. THis happened in Christine Jessop's case. Mom told a family friend she was going with the brother to see the father in jail and not taking Christine. The family friend told her husband, or he overheard and *he* took Christine and killed her. It could be something this simple.
-> Was it the usual practice to watch Nicole head to the elevator each time she was to ride it alone?
-> Did you watch her leave the apartment? How far did she get before you went back inside? (did she see the child actually get *on* the elevator? Is it possible Nicole was grabbed before she even boarded the elevator?
-> You had daycare kids in your care and couldn't leave to look for Nicole until 6pm when they were picked up. What did you do with these children when you went to look for Nicole at the pool at 3pm and found she was not there? (This fact is reported in media links I've posted above and which I'll link to here again for ease of reference: SOURCE: Page A6. (1995, Jul 30). Toronto Star, Author: Cal Millar.
-> Who is your third grandchild that is mentioned in your obit? Nicole wasn't mentioned but a third grandchild was, and as far as I know, you only had one other son, also mentioned in your obit.
-> What was the context for Nicole having written that she was going to disappear? When and where was this item found and by whom?
-> What show did you watch that was about kidnapping that prompted you to teach Nicole to dial long distance (could this be why she wrote she was going to disappear? She'd maybe seen that in the show?).

POLICE:
-> Was the roof searched? When and by whom?
-> Was there a trash compactor? Was it searched? When and by whom?
-> Was there a shoe thought to have belonged to Nicole found in the elevator? If so, was it ever DNA tested to confirm it was hers, or investigated forensically for possible evidence such as touch DNA?
-> Who's idea was it to hire the firm in Ireland to help investigate and why?
-> Why were you already looking out West in Edmonton within the weeks after she vanished? What led you to there as a possibility?
-> Was there ever a good viable suspect that you just couldn't charge but believed he likely was responsible? If so, what led you to believe it could be him at all?
-> The headband that was found, was it ever forensically investigated for possible DNA to link it to Nicole? If not, could it be now?
-> The daycare kids, did any of them see Nicole that day? How about their parents at drop off?

Anyone else have questions for anyone they want to add to this list?

This case is maddening!! A little girl does not simply vanish never to be seen or heard from again, and yet, here we are and that is precisely what seems to have happened!! Someone knows what happened to Nicole and where she is. If you could ask anyone any questions in this case, who would you look to speak with, and what would you want to ask them?

I'd like to ask the following people the following things:
JEANETTE:
-> did you confirm with JM's parents that the girls were meant to swim that day (not judging, I want to know if any other adults may have heard / learned of the plan who may have then seen an opportunity to take her. THis happened in Christine Jessop's case. Mom told a family friend she was going with the brother to see the father in jail and not taking Christine. The family friend told her husband, or he overheard and *he* took Christine and killed her. It could be something this simple.
-> Was it the usual practice to watch Nicole head to the elevator each time she was to ride it alone?
-> Did you watch her leave the apartment? How far did she get before you went back inside? (did she see the child actually get *on* the elevator? Is it possible Nicole was grabbed before she even boarded the elevator?
-> You had daycare kids in your care and couldn't leave to look for Nicole until 6pm when they were picked up. What did you do with these children when you went to look for Nicole at the pool at 3pm and found she was not there? (This fact is reported in media links I've posted above and which I'll link to here again for ease of reference: SOURCE: Page A6. (1995, Jul 30). Toronto Star, Author: Cal Millar.
-> Who is your third grandchild that is mentioned in your obit? Nicole wasn't mentioned but a third grandchild was, and as far as I know, you only had one other son, also mentioned in your obit.
-> What was the context for Nicole having written that she was going to disappear? When and where was this item found and by whom?
-> What show did you watch that was about kidnapping that prompted you to teach Nicole to dial long distance (could this be why she wrote she was going to disappear? She'd maybe seen that in the show?).

POLICE:
-> Was the roof searched? When and by whom?
-> Was there a trash compactor? Was it searched? When and by whom?
-> Was there a shoe thought to have belonged to Nicole found in the elevator? If so, was it ever DNA tested to confirm it was hers, or investigated forensically for possible evidence such as touch DNA?
-> Who's idea was it to hire the firm in Ireland to help investigate and why?
-> Why were you already looking out West in Edmonton within the weeks after she vanished? What led you to there as a possibility?
-> Was there ever a good viable suspect that you just couldn't charge but believed he likely was responsible? If so, what led you to believe it could be him at all?
-> The headband that was found, was it ever forensically investigated for possible DNA to link it to Nicole? If not, could it be now?
-> The daycare kids, did any of them see Nicole that day? How about their parents at drop off?

Anyone else have questions for anyone they want to add to this list?
I have several questions around the mothers behaviour and lack of action on that day.

As promised, I'm now looking at newspapers from other parts of the world - I found this interesting article all the way over in Dubling, Ireland. Register | British Newspaper Archive
Evening Herald - Wednesday April 30,1986 p.3

According to this article, both parents had Irish connections and there was a belief that she may have been "abducted to Ireland". The article goes on to note that a security firm in Dublin (called K. Security) had been contacted for help to look for the child as both parents may have Irish connections. An employee of the company was quoted as saying, "We are not sure yet what exactly the family's Irish connections are, but the surname may have changed from either Morrin or Moran...".

The employee was asked why it was felt the child might be in Ireland, she said, "at the time her parents had temporarily separated and members of the family may have felt an unstable home was not the place for a young girl"

I wonder who contacted the security firm in Dublin to look for the girl? Was this done by the Toronto police? By the mother? The father? Did the firm volunteer or were they paid investigators? Its really interesting to me that someone thought this was an actual possibility that they connected with the firm to help them look! I guess nothing came of this idea though sadly.
Thanks for all the posts and keeping Nicole’s thread going. I have been following this thread off and on since it first started. Knowing Toronto really well and knowing of the other girls abducted in TO around that time, I know I would have been concerned if Nicole was my daughter and her friend called asking where Nicole was. I definitely would insist that friend or Nicole buzz me back when she got to the lobby or let me know if Nicole didn’t show up.

This case drives me mad! We have only three options that I can see:
1. Someone made a plan to hide Nicole and was so successful that the child remains hidden to this day (but why?). And who? I don’t think Dad would have done this, and it seems he has spent the rest of his life trying to locate her!! But then who? I read that police cleared both parents and their friends. Did someone miss something??

2. Someone overheard / knew the plan was for the girls to meet in the lobby and they snatched Nicole on a tight timeline somewhere between the penthouse hallway and the lobby. I’d like to know if Mom actually saw Nicole get ON the elevator. Did she see the doors close on the elevator? Is it POSSIBLE someone grabbed Nicole in the hallway whilst she was on route to the elevator? Or did someone slip INTO the elevator with her after mom ducked back inside their unit?? If someone grabbed her in the hallway, they had mere SECONDS to do it and had to ensure Nicole wouldn’t scream or cause a scene. How’d they do this? How many ways are there to do this when you have very little time to plan it?

2b. If it was common for the kids to meet in the lobby and go to the pool from there, then someone may have noticed this was the usual flow of things and may have had some time (even days) to work out that they’d snatch her one day on route to the pool. They may have had an elaborate plan and carried it out well enough that they’ve not been caught yet. This could have been a friend / family member of the kids who would usually meet at the pool, or a random tenant of the building who realized the pattern. But how do you ensure a kid you’ve just snatched is going with you quietly? Do you threaten them with a weapon? That seems most likely because Nicole doesn’t seem to have screamed, she may have gone willingly enough with someone - right down the stair well and out a side door never to be seen again.

3. Totally random, split second opportunity. This seems super unlikely. You’d have to decide on a whim to take the kid, and then sort out where to on the fly. You’d have to ensure she isn’t screaming and you don‘t know who might be waiting for her downstairs unless she tells you. This is just too risky. Someone is likely going to see you and that she looks nervous. She might fight or flight. You’re not sure of the situation and you’re not likely wanting to risk going down for this crime.

Nope. This was some sort of planned and organized in my view. Someone she knew took her, or someone who knew the routine of meeting in the lobby figured it out and planned accordingly.

I just heard about this case. You would think an apt complex with elevators would be pretty secure or at least that no one living in the building would kidnap her. I live in an apt complex. There is a guy that was exposing himself last summer to people swimming. One man that does maintenance is creepy and makes comments to me anytime I’m alone. I’m an adult. If someone working in the building was pedophile they would probably gain trust or groom a child. If people delivered food to her door or even to the building they could be familiar with it enough to seem like a tenant that kid would trust. People sublet or have a relative stay with them. Even without keys people could make them selves familiar with a building. Do they know she didn’t get off the elevator? It’s easy to feel safe when you have friends in an apt building and your kid does and they are going to a pool at the complex.
I hope Nicole’s case is solved.
I don’t think they even know if she got ON the elevator, nevermind OFF of it! It would be good to know at what point mom went back inside her unit, since she said she watched Nicole leave. Did she see her go down the hall? Push the elevator button (could she have been snatched in the time it took for the elevator to arrive on her floor)? We know that her friend JM saw the elevator reach the penthouse level at least TWICE while she was waiting. Was one of those times because Nicole had pressed the button to call it up?

If mom didn’t see her board the elevator, then the timeline gets even smaller. How long was Nicole stood there waiting alone for an elevator to bring her to the lobby? Is it possible someone struck up a conversation with her or snatched her whilst she was waiting?

The only way to rule this out would be if mom saw Nicole board that elevator (or someone else did), and could confirm that the elevator left that floor with only Nicole on board. But because we don’t know if Jeanette saw the doors close on the elevator with her daughter or not, we have a far wider timeline. She left the apt. MOm watched her - at what point did mom go back inside? Was the child out of view because she was down the hallway? Was there a turn so that mom did not see the elevator from her doorway? Could she have been waiting along and grabbed?

Did someone board on another floor and decide this was their chance?

This is maddening. There is more to the story here and I hope police get the answers soon.

I don’t think it was a split second decision either. IMO, someone heard or knew the girls were meeting up for their pool date. Maybe Nicole talked to someone in the lobby when she was getting the mail and mentioned it in general conversation about the weather that day. That same someone could have watched the elevator while Nicole went back to her apartment and knew what floor she lived on. Just one possible scenario.

Thanks for all the posts and keeping Nicole’s thread going. I have been following this thread off and on since it first started. Knowing Toronto really well and knowing of the other girls abducted in TO around that time, I know I would have been concerned if Nicole was my daughter and her friend called asking where Nicole was. I definitely would insist that friend or Nicole buzz me back when she got to the lobby or let me know if Nicole didn’t show up.
I didn’t mean to say I have been watching this thread from the beginning…meant to say, I have been reading this thread off and on since I first started WS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silver_fox
Back