FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, I guess the research part.....

Has anyone independently verified that Somer was actually at school on Monday?

We have Mom's story that Somer felt sick Monday morning but Mom sent her to school anyways with instructions to call if she felt worse. Then, isn't the story about after school a bit convoluted? Didn't brother and sister wait around awhile, then start walking home without Somer, then Somer caught up with them , only to then run ahead....and disappear????

Has LE or news reporters CONFIRMED that Somer really attended school that day???????

And WHY did Mom feel compelled to tell the entire world that she can't remember if she told Somer "I love You" Monday morning?????????Something is eerriely wrong with this picture.

IMO Only, I think it is bothering her that maybe she did not tell her she loved her, I know I usually end visits or phone calls with my boys "I love you" but sometimes I forget and have called back when I remember because it bothers me. Did I make sense?

If you google Somer's address and go to streetview there are empty garbage pails strewn along the streets.

Ironically it was a garbage day when the goggle streetview unit did Orange Park neighbourhood.

Quoting myself to add:

If you google Orange Park and go to streetview you will see two children walking home from school....alone together along Debarry Avenue around #1226.

Ironically, it might even be Somer. Look for yourself.

As a mother, the answer to this seems very simple to me. If something were to ever, God forbid, happen to one of my children, I'd want one of the last things I said to them to have been "I love you." It's completely natural when a loved one dies unexpectedly to wonder how your last interaction with that person went -- especially your own child.

Sorry chicana- your post seemed like a good one to quote. No reflection on you.

Come on now people. Don't make me pull teeth or hairs....HOW many cases have went down where YOU ALL were ALL OVER the parents for not "reacting correctly". Casey A cried without tears, you all tore her a new b***. Remember?

What is the difference here??? My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Her baby girl has only been dead for 5 friggin days now? Shouldn't her attention be on her surviving children? She acts like she as all the time the world to devote to press conference and appearances. When she does appear on TV , shouldn't her loud, squeaky sobs be accomanied by WET TEARS?????????????????? And WHAT'S UP with that slight constant smirk on her face???? I cannot be the only person here who notices it?

You all know, that IF, come Monday morning, you turn on the news and learn that the focus is now on her own home, 100's will suddenly come out of the woodwork and say, gee, I thought it strange that she cried and sobbed with DRY EYES!

I just happen to have the balls to say what some might be thinking ALOUD. As stated, I HOPE that I am wrong. But, I can't explain to myself why this woman unnerves me the way she does.

I have little doubt that I would react in the same manner as Somer's mother.....no medication needed. It is a matter of control and avoidance for the sake of survival during a crisis.

Most likely, her judgment of herself is far more damning than any other......tears mean its over and she failed Somer......steely-eyes means there is a to get for the sake of Somer.

Maybe you just have to know the personality to understand it......I feel for her as in the long run she will hold herself accountable for Somer's death even though she did nothing different that day then thousands of other working mothers had to do.

I agree. Since day 1 I have thought something wasn't quite right w/ the mom's demeanor. I hope I am wrong. Didn't want to say anything because it didn't seem like a popular opinion so I just left it alone. Again, hope I am wrong. I'll just watch it play out and say no more. On the record.

I will add my thoughts that I am wary. But I am just a skeptical person in general. I'm continuing to keep an open mind that this case could go any direction. I find her media interviews following the discovery of the body unusual, but I can not judge because my heart just breaks for her. I am always suspicious of the boyfriends in situations such as these, and will continue to be so until an actual suspect is apprehended. However, it doesn't appear that the evidence is pointing in either of their directions. The fact that the abandoned house seems to be so much of a focus to me rules out family. The fact that the police seem to be telling the neighborhood to "be on the look out a dangerous killer is on the loose" tells me they don't believe it is domestic either.

I think without any significant evidence pointing to the mom other than "unusual behavior" at press conferences she should be given all the support she needs for this terrible loss.

Years ago our city had "safe houses" where a child could run to if a problem arose. The signs given out by the city are no more, and the program has been discontinued. First, the "safe houses" were self-proclaimed. Second, although the home owners may have been honorable, who was visiting? Next, although the home may have been child safe, what else might have been going on? (drugs) Finally, many people worked during the day.

Although we've lived on our cul-de-sac of 9 houses for 22 years, I can honestly say I hardly know my neighbors, and most families have lived here over 15 years! Our contact is mostly limited to waving hello. I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

I totally get what you are saying. Like I said families on the PTA or PTO - something like that, well all in well that really doesn't mean the world. And with only seeing one home I have to wonder if that is a REALLY old sign. I hardly know anyone in our new neighborhood, where in our old neighborhood everyone knew everyone. Plus our kids all played behind gates and even in that case I didn't let them out by themselves.

I need to comment on the possible prior abduction in this neighborhood. UGH :furious: Trying NOT to get super angry. But WHY was the school not alerted?? A letter sent out??? IF this is legit and actually happend. SOMEONE dropped a BIG BALL. I am not saying it would have prevented what happend here, it could or could not have. I think when these sick SOBS get it in their minds that they want to take a child and then have a failure it makes them more willfull the next time around. Makes you wonder since they tried to lure the last little girl in - (if it is same person(s)) did they just SNATCH Somer and run?? Did she have no chance to even run or scream??? (like Jacycee case) -- I am impressed that the school district where this attemped abduction occurred did send out letters and alerts, but it took a whole week to get them out to the surrounding school. I just happen to be a busy body and make it a priority to know about all crimes in the neighboring towns, which aren't that far away from me. In my opinion whoever is trying to snatch kids in my area is far from done since they have clearly failed.

America needs to wake up- okay. Now what?? What are we suspossed to do about it? I heard someone say the other day re: this case- that we've reached the point where it's NOT ACCEPTABLE to allow young girls to walk around alone. OK.

Little Samantha(?) from Calif. was abducted while playing in her front yard with a playmate!

YEARS ago, Jacob Wetterling was abducted while riding his bike with his brother and a friend.....

So , the buddy system doesn't seem to work in all cases.....

America cannot resort to keep kids locked up in the house.

And where are convicted child molesters suppossed to live? Should we build a commune for them out in the dessert somewhere??????[/QUOTE]

IMO the Death Penalty, I do not think they can be rehabilited, if we take them totally out of the population it is one less we have to watch. Many convicted child molesters continue although supervised.

Thank You so much for your responce!! You mention that in the past few days others have mentioned this? This "case" is only 5 days old and on this thread alone it's up to page 20! Haven't read all, but in the bits I have went through, I haven't found another posters thread that mentioned Somer T's Mom making them feel uneasy. If you know where I might find more like-minded posts can you help direct me there? Earlier threads on this post, or another thread?

Wow, you had alot placed on your shoulders at a young age! It made you strong and you can relate better than someone like me with no frame of reference.

Maybe she went on camera after being cried out like you suggest. Maybe her shock affects her tears. I personally don't know. I just know that whenever she comes onto the TV screen, I HAVE to change the channel, because she angers me in a deep place, and makes me very uneasy and uncomfortable. I also see a slight smirk on her face at all times (maybe just a misperception on my part!!!!!!) I feel very bad for saying that, but the TRUTH is I do, and that's what I see. I hope I am way off base.....

But, you know how peeps are...IF my uneasy feelings turn out to have a basis of fact behind them, you know at that very moment that EVERYONE finds out, they will come out of the woodwork and say, "Yeah, didn't it bug the Heck out of you how she sobbed without producing tears????"

Anyway, I sure hope I am wrong in this case. I don't often say that, if ever, but this time, I really mean it.

I'm sure she's on some type of sedatives - not to mention she is probably still in shock. I feel nothing but sympathy for this poor woman & wish I could give her a hug & express how sorry I am for her loss.

America needs to wake up- okay. Now what?? What are we suspossed to do about it? I heard someone say the other day re: this case- that we've reached the point where it's NOT ACCEPTABLE to allow young girls to walk around alone. OK.

Little Samantha(?) from Calif. was abducted while playing in her front yard with a playmate!

YEARS ago, Jacob Wetterling was abducted while riding his bike with his brother and a friend.....

So , the buddy system doesn't seem to work in all cases.....

America cannot resort to keep kids locked up in the house.

And where are convicted child molesters suppossed to live? Should we build a commune for them out in the dessert somewhere??????[/QUOTE]

IMO the Death Penalty, I do not think they can be rehabilited, if we take them totally out of the population it is one less we have to watch. Many convicted child molesters continue although supervised.

I would agree with you but as a taxpayer it takes years for these people to be executed. If they were sent off to a desserted Island to gorw their own vegetation and pick berries with one another..if they survive they do if they don't they dont...It wouldn't cost us a dime except to send them there and they are not able to harm our children. I truly think some, not all of these people have mental illness - we don't execute the mentally ill, so I just as figure put them in isolation. I don't just my take but I wouldn't argue either if they did the DP - just thinking aloud :)

This will probably be an unpopular view but, I don't think I've heard enough of anything to decide who did this. LE has been pretty tight lipped about everything regarding this case. At this point, I think everyone is suspect.

I noticed the mother not having tears, but people react differently to situations, but in my mind she hasn't been ruled out for me. She had someone who had never watched the kids before, at the house that day.

The guy at the house- go look real good? I have a 10 yr old, and if he didn't make it home from school, my tail would be outside looking with the other kids. Maybe he had a friend over that we aren't aware of at this point.

SO- LE won't say if this is a sex crime. I understand they want to keep some things close to the investigation, but I haven't heard LE say much of anything honestly.

I think I have gotten more info from the MP report on NG than from any other source. There is so much emotion involved with the murder of a child, it's easy to let anger and sadness overwhelm you, but I don't think anyone can be ruled out or in based on the information I've heard.

The RIGHT person needs to be caught and punished for this crime!!!! and with the little info I have to go on, I think I'll keep my eyes on all the players- it would be a TRAVESTY and an INJUSTICE to Somer to not look at everyone and make sure JUSTICE IS SERVED.

I can't imagine how anyone can say a single bad thing about Diena Thompson in the face of what she is going through. That poor woman has lost her child to an absolutely hideous crime where she is not even allowed to see her baby before she buries her.

She deserves your compassion. And nothing else.

I'll be back when there is news.

IMO Only, I think it is bothering her that maybe she did not tell her she loved her, I know I usually end visits or phone calls with my boys "I love you" but sometimes I forget and have called back when I remember because it bothers me. Did I make sense?

You made PERFECT sense. I'm the same kind of mom. Since my two, now adult children were born, I've always said I love you before they went to bed, to school, to go outside and play....even now, they can send me the most benign text message and i'll respond and then add I luv u. I'm almost (if you asked them) obnoxious about saying it....but, trained them well, cause they in turn feel compelled to tell me I love you all time too.

My point was, that for some reason, it disturbs me that Somer's mom-what's her name?-felt compelled to share with the world that she couldn't remember if she said "i love you" to Somer Monday morning or not. Almost sounds like a guilty concious to me. My feelings about this woman are just that. eerie uncomfortable feelings. No basis in fact, other than there is no denying the woman can sob and wail Very Loudly without producing tears........and she really seems to like attention and cameras.........

I agree. Since day 1 I have thought something wasn't quite right w/ the mom's demeanor. I hope I am wrong. Didn't want to say anything because it didn't seem like a popular opinion so I just left it alone. Again, hope I am wrong. I'll just watch it play out and say no more. On the record.

I have been in lots of book stores in my life and i have never saw one with the title of "How to act when your child is abducted, murdered and thrown in a garbage dump" have you? People react to things differently and it wouldn't matter what she said or did or did not say or do some people would find fault in it. I watched an interview last night of the sister of another child that was abducted and killed in Flordia several years back (sorry can't remember the childs name) and she said she didn't see her parents for a couple weeks after she was with relatives, and even some LE families kept her for awhile due to the media and her own saftey and her parents being so torn up so what she is doing with her own children is not our business maybe she is being advised by LE and I am sure grief conselors on what to do. Until you walk a mile in her shoes(and i hope no one ever has to) don't judge her so harshley

What I find disturbing in this and all cases in the last few years is the media “sensationalism” that seems to pervade now. The media no longer just reports the news. They have discovered that ratings will spike when real people are put on camera to discuss their fear, anger, grief etc. It makes for good
TV apparently when the parents of a missing child go on television to show their fear and grief. To make pleas for their child’s safe return. Not just once but multiple times on different shows and networks. When did this start? Who is telling these people that this is a good idea? What do they accomplish? Has any crime ever been solved by putting the family of the victim on television? Is this the only way that the national media will report a missing child case? The family must go on television for all to see so that people will tune in to hear about the crime? Why can’t an experienced LE press officer go on the Today Show and other “media” outlets and talk about it to get the information out there? And I really don’t understand why a mother would be asked to go on television within hours after their child has been found dead to help further the investigation into catching the perpetrator. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I would like to think that if something like this were to happen to a member of my family I would have the sense to just say no to media interviews. But would someone be there telling me that if I don’t, it will not become a national story? My child or family member would not be important enough for national media coverage then? As has been touched on here, I would assume that when something like this happens, some kind of medication would be offered to the parent and then to put them on television while perhaps on this medication just sets people up for the inevitable questions from the public.

It’s a catch 22 really. If you don’t go on television you’ve got something to hide. If you do and you don’t behave as people expect you should, you’ve also got something to hide. It’s really a sorry situation that we find ourselves in in this era of “reality television”.

What I find disturbing in this and all cases in the last few years is the media “sensationalism” that seems to pervade now. The media no longer just reports the news. They have discovered that ratings will spike when real people are put on camera to discuss their fear, anger, grief etc. It makes for good
TV apparently when the parents of a missing child go on television to show their fear and grief. To make pleas for their child’s safe return. Not just once but multiple times on different shows and networks. When did this start? Who is telling these people that this is a good idea? What do they accomplish? Has any crime ever been solved by putting the family of the victim on television? Is this the only way that the national media will report a missing child case? The family must go on television for all to see so that people will tune in to hear about the crime? Why can’t an experienced LE press officer go on the Today Show and other “media” outlets and talk about it to get the information out there? And I really don’t understand why a mother would be asked to go on television within hours after their child has been found dead to help further the investigation into catching the perpetrator. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I would like to think that if something like this were to happen to a member of my family I would have the sense to just say no to media interviews. But would someone be there telling me that if I don’t, it will not become a national story? My child or family member would not be important enough for national media coverage then? As has been touched on here, I would assume that when something like this happens, some kind of medication would be offered to the parent and then to put them on television while perhaps on this medication just sets people up for the inevitable questions from the public.

It’s a catch 22 really. If you don’t go on television you’ve got something to hide. If you do and you don’t behave as people expect you should, you’ve also got something to hide. It’s really a sorry situation that we find ourselves in in this era of “reality television”.

I doubt anyone twists their arms to do this. When Natalie dissappeared in Aruba I commended Beth for going out and giving a voice to her missing child. Everyone is different some people would never go on and speak to the country but so do and I commend them for it. People are very judgemental to parents of missing children and whichever road they take it will always not be the right way in some peoples eyes. I think Somer's mother is so angry and heartbroke that this is her way to get some of it out of her system. I am certaintly not going to judge her my 25 year old daughter is alive and well and I just spoke with her on the phone so who am I to say how she should act

I in no way believe that Somer's mother had anything to do with this but, playing devils advocate for just a sec, if the mother wasn't really at work, would LE come out and announce that publicly? Or, would they keep it to themselves until the investigation is over?

I think Ms. Thompson is consumed with guilt - Somer said she didn't feel well on Monday morning & Ms. Thompson sent her to school... she's probably feeling that if she would've let Somer stay home, she would still be alive. She feels guilty for allowing the kids to walk to school, doesn't remember if she told her she loved her, etc. This poor woman is beating herself up for what has happened and I for one see nothing more than a mother beating herself up, feeling she has failed her daughter. I am also certain that she is overwhelmed by the support from the community. If she weren't talking to the media, we'd be criticizing her saying she has something to hide; she talks to the media and we criticize her for not producing tears. Come on - give this poor woman a break! How do you want her to react? She just lost her daughter...because she doesn't produce tears in front of the camera each time she appears on television? That makes you suspect she has something to do with her daughter's death? Maybe at that time she was all "cried out". I'm quite sure the police have looked into the family first and verified their whereabouts, etc during the first few hours of Somer's disappearance.

Lets remember here their is a dead 7 year old little girl and some monster running loose that killed her whoever it is needs to be found before another innocent little child meets the same fate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlop