NH NH - Missing young women in NH

Thanks Peabody!

It is well to remember that the "serial killer" designation is a fairly recent one, only 20 or so years old. If you haven't read about Pierce Brooks (from LAPD) and his role in profiling them, do so. He was the main impetus behind research into these killers- well before John Douglas and the rest of them.

I think we all know (well, except for one posting here) that these cases absolutely do have enough similarities to warrant a closer look. Most serial killers throughout history, in retrospect, have been found to have "evolved" their MO and not just killed one type of victim. Actually, this is considered the norm, not the exception.

It's not rocket science. And while I know they have a tough job to do, I really think the LE in NH and VT are sticking their heads in the sand over this. Too bad these states rely heavily (mainly!) on tourism dollars. I think that affects any progress here.

NHJane
Thanks for the post ;-) I am actually from Madison, WI. I just do not understand that absolutely NO progress has been made in this case, does LE even care? It seems as if they don't to me, why not consider another scenario if they aren't getting ANYWHERE? Ugh so frustrating!

I really wish I had something of value to add to this discussion. I think it's great to see people actively trying to re-open old (cold) cases that would otherwise be forgotten and left to collect dust.

To CyberLaw, if you don't like what you're reading.....step away from the computer, turn it off or go somewhere else. It's obvious that you're trying to detract from positive productivity. Who cares if YOU think these cases are connected or not? If it brings someone even ONE step closer to solving any ONE of these cases.....it's worth the effort.:razz:

Marisa714 said:
NHJane
Thanks for the post ;-) I am actually from Madison, WI. I just do not understand that absolutely NO progress has been made in this case, does LE even care? It seems as if they don't to me, why not consider another scenario if they aren't getting ANYWHERE? Ugh so frustrating!

I'm not sure which case you are referring to Marisa, Louise Chaput who was murdered in Franconia Notch or Maura Murray who went missing Feb. of 2004 from the Haverhill/Swiftwater area. As far as I know, both are open investigations, but no information has been released for a long time reguarding either case. I suppose that doesn't mean that LE is not investigating, in fact, I hope it's just the opposite and they are hot on the trail following leads that they can't disclose at this time. It seems as though NH SP have their hands full investigating quite a few cases ... all I can really do is watch carefully for some results.

BTW I do find it interresting that there are only 3 missing people listed on the NH SP website. Doesn't that wildly contradict the actual number of missing people I have read about on these boards and others?

I was dreaming about these cases all night long. I really feel like one person is responsible for several of these, but not necessarily all of them. I hope they get the ball rolling on re-processing the evidence on some of these. With new advances in technology, they should be able to find SOMETHING to give them more leads.

NhJane

I'm sorry! I was referring to Maura Murray! Whoops!

Marisa

http://www.bringbrihome.org/forums/...p?showtopic=429

This is a link to a newstory about a search by CT divers in a Bershire Pond and also a search with cadaver dogs to find Bri.

The search was described by one news show as being "excercises"

This was of particular interest to me because only a few weeks ago, there were reports of a search for Maura Murray with LE excavating a sand pit in Haverhill NH. In the Haverhill Newspaper, Chief Williams denied the rumor of a search for Maura, but did say that NH LE was participating with the FBI in "exercises".

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Well I find that really interresting, Peabody, quite a coincidence ....
I had heard the rumors about them finding a body in the Haverhill pit and that Chief Williams issued a small release in a very small, local free paper saying that there was nothing found. It was just a rumor. Some local town people I know from Woodsville said that it was quite the to-do with many LE officials and fbi searching and using an excavater in at least 3 locations.
And may I add that I didn't see or hear anything about any "excersises" on my local news (WMUR)
It does seem a bit odd, you would think that the police would want people to know that they are out there "practicing". Would LE need to keep search procedures a secret for some investigative reason? But in any case, I hope it means they are out there looking as the VSP seem to be doing. I'm happy for the Maitlands that they have a new investigator that seems to be doing a thorough job and working together with the family. My thoughts are with them and all the families up here missing their loved ones.

City detectives question woman in Amie Lynn Riley murder
http://unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=54998
Manchester detectives brought a woman back from North Carolina Monday to question her about the unsolved Amie Lynn Riley murder case, police sources said. Detectives Nick Willard and Ryan Grant, lead investigators in the homicide, brought back Carrie Jean Menard, 27, formerly of 4 Maple St., Apt. 3, Derry, on a governor's warrant charging her with welfare fraud.

On Wednesday, investigators were seen at Menard's former home removing some carpeting from the apartment and taking photographs of the exterior of the building.
[...]
Neighbor John Lang said police and an evidence-collection crew in white suits searched the apartment Wednesday, removing a nearly room-sized roll of carpet.
"There was some special unit," he said.

Lang said he climbed the fire escape, looked inside the second-story apartment and saw a dark stain on the floor where the carpet had been cut away.

"It looks like something soaked through," he said.

A layer of the wooden floor had been removed by yesterday.

Police also visited last week with a photographer, Lang said.

Wow! :eek:
Interesting turn of events. A woman beating another to death. :mad: Or,......did she have help? :waitasec:

Wonder if there's more to this story?

This was the only unsolved murder for NH on the list for 2003 (at least the one I have).

Shocking!
fran

fran said:
I'm sure there's a whole lot more to it. I am so glad LE kept this close to them. I wonder if this woman was the person Amie was with at the show before she had to leave.

I know Amiee's mother was heartbroken that she could not get the police to look for her daughter........I am glad that the police have caught her alleged murderer.

fran said:
Wow! :eek:
Interesting turn of events. A woman beating another to death. :mad: Or,......did she have help? :waitasec:

This was the only unsolved murder for NH on the list for 2003 (at least the one I have).

Shocking!
fran
Fran, where did you get your list ?

I found this info regarding 3 other unsolved murders in NH:

Investigators Stalled In Three Cases
POSTED: 5:20 pm EDT May 18, 2005
CONCORD, N.H. -- Three mysterious death cases in Concord may soon be given a jumpstart based on a significant cash reward being offered.
The murder of Judy Lord, the disappearance of Shirley Ann McBride and the suspicious death of David Braley have gone unsolved for years. Concord Regional Crimeline is hoping to change that with a $5,000 reward for information on the cases.
"There's substantial evidence in each one of these cases, but not enough to charge anyone or move forward with a prosecution, and that's why this appeal is being made," Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin said.

McBride, 15, disappeared while on a walk in 1984, leaving behind money, clothing and other personal items. Braley's body was found in the Merrimack River in 1990, four months after he was last seen at a Concord nightclub where witnesses say he was involved in a fight.
Foul play is suspected in both of the cases, but the only one of the three that has been officially ruled a homicide is the 1975 murder of Judy Lord. The mother of a 17-month-old son, Lord was strangled in her Concord apartment 30 years ago.
"I just was on the phone about a half hour ago with the state lab about the Lord case -- the oldest case here -- and they had some promising results in the way of DNA," Detective Todd Flanagan said.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4504831/detail.html

This was in my local paper since Carrie Menard is from Monroe, NC. She had originally been extradited for welfare fraud(to the tune of $10,000.00!). She will be arraigned Monday morning for Amie Riley's murder.

May 27, 2005 AM EDT

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- The House on Thursday passed a bill to speed up the search for missing people aged 18 or over.

The bill requires local police to send a description of a missing adult to a national crime database within 72 hours of receiving the initial missing person report.

The Senate has already passed a similar measure.

Lawmakers crafted the legislation with Charlotte Riley, the mother of Amie Lynn Riley, a Manchester woman who went missing in August, 2003. Police waited more than 72 hours to list Riley in the national database because she was 21.

Police found Riley's body last April in Manchester. A former Derry woman, Carrie Menard, has been charged with her murder.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_XGR_MISSING_ADULT_BILL_NHOL-?SITE=NHMAL&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This is GREAT news-now NH LE must list missing adults names in a national database that all LE agencies will have access to. While this may have come too late for Amie Riley, bless her mother for pushing to get this legislation enacted. And maybe, just maybe, now that LE is required to take this step, it will give them pause to maybe INVESTIGATE a little more instead of blowing off families!

Bring Maura home!

gatetrekker44 said:
This is GREAT news-now NH LE must list missing adults names in a national database that all LE agencies will have access to. While this may have come too late for Amie Riley, bless her mother for pushing to get this legislation enacted. And maybe, just maybe, now that LE is required to take this step, it will give them pause to maybe INVESTIGATE a little more instead of blowing off families!

I couldn't agree more.......I was looking for something unrelated and found this article that appeared on WMUR.....a couple of years ago...apparently I came across it and saved it.........as Boxerz says earlier in these posts this information isn't meant to scare people......but to make them aware.....I saw a story once on 20 20 or one of those shows about listening to your feelings.........it is the first defense in any situation that could put a person in a bad postion. Too often we don't listen to our inner selves.....

Officials Say Assaults Underreported

POSTED: 10:54 a.m. EDT August 20, 2003

UPDATED: 5:10 p.m. EDT August 20, 2003

CONCORD, N.H. -- A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates one in every seven women in New Hampshire has been raped.

………………

The CDC report estimates that 65,000 women in the state have been raped. The CDC applied national data to New Hampshire's population to reach its conclusion.

"In reality, this mirrors my experience as a prosecutor and defense attorney," Attorney General Peter Heed said. "My true-life experience in dealing with these matters over 28 years would indicate sexual assaults are underreported."

Prosecutors said the investigation process and court system have improved to help protect victims, but they said more needs to be done.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/2419005/detail.html

Grassyknoll2 said:

5½ hours of fear in Derry

By PAT GROSSMITH and KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader News

Charles L. Rawlings admitted he abducted a woman from a city street, slit her throat, forced her into his pickup truck, bound her with tape and then drove to Derry where he raped her repeatedly, according to court records.

Manchester police continue to investigate the assault and are also looking into whether Rawlings may be linked to any other similar unsolved crimes, including past homicides, O'Leary said.
Just some news of note on this guy:
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4565046/detail.html

Kidnap, Rape Suspect Stabbed In Jail Attack POSTED: 10:44 am EDT June 3, 2005
MANCHESTER, N.H. -- A Manchester man charged with kidnapping a woman, slitting her throat and raping her last month is recovering from stab wounds suffered in a jailhouse attack.

Charles Rawlings, 35, was stabbed in the chest and side on May 27 at the Hillsborough County Jail by another prisoner armed with a sharpened toothbrush, officials said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back