IL IL - Boy, 2-3 yo, wandering alone 1:30am West 107th St, Roseland Dist, no shoes or pants, speaks Spanish, looking for his family, Chicago, 21 Dec 2023

December 29, 2023

Officials in Chicago are continuing their search for the parents of a toddler who was found wandering in the city's Roseland neighborhood early Thursday morning over a week after he was located.

As of Friday afternoon, the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services confirmed that the family of the boy has yet to be identified and that no one has come forward in search of him. He remains in the care of Illinois DCFS.

Perhaps they're canvassing the wrong neighborhoods.

They're may be parents from South or Central America who believe their toddler is safe with relatives in North America and have no idea the child's been abandoned.

JMO

They're may be parents from South or Central America who believe their toddler is safe with relatives in North America and have no idea the child's been abandoned.

JMO
Correcting my own typo. They're=there. Gah.

Do we have a better sense of this child's age? 2-3 spans 22-47 months, plus or minus. A clever examiner might be able to draw information from a young child with crayons and dolls... DNA swab and genetic testing... it'll take time but I truly believe there's an innocent family who doesn't know he's missing...

Jmo

JMO
I too had the thought this child might have been transported to the southside neighborhood and abandoned. Given the temperature and lack of warm clothing; that was a death sentence. This tyke defied the odds.

Or, the caregiver left him to go out clubbing, or has met with death whether through drugs or DV. I’m not leaning towards deceased elder caregiver, as I think that would have been discovered by now. The general health of the child suggests a mother who met with a sudden demise, or simply abandoned the child.

I do think LE needs to look beyond the south side to solve this one; I suspect the child might have been cruelly abandoned there, outside of their own neighborhood.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I fear his primary caregiver is deceased (DV or otherwise) and this child wandered away from the dwelling afterwards. IMHO this is why 'no one is looking for him'.
but don't most people know what their neighbours look like? I certainly always have known their faces and names (I know that's not quite as common for some) but even a face you see.

It is also possible that he was used by the coyotes and they abandoned him for a variety of different reasons. So sad. I am glad that he's being fed and kept warm

Sadly, that makes sense. IMO
A bit of a rush to judgment to think of "coyotes" taking people over the border when Texas - where that news story I believe you are referencing is... - and Illinois - where this thread takes place - are at polar opposite ends of the country, right? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
I’m worried something happened to his Mom and has yet to be discovered. You’re right too much time has passed. Has LE updated recently?
I fear this as well. Would it be within their rights to do a DNA swab and see if anything pops up on GEDmatch for those who opted into police investigations, etc.?

<modsnip: inflammatory>

Last edited by a moderator:
but don't most people know what their neighbours look like? I certainly always have known their faces and names (I know that's not quite as common for some) but even a face you see.
I used to! But we have moved into an unfamiliar-ish area for work, and I couldn't name my neighbors if I tried. Not to sound ancient, but so many people have their faces in their phones 24/7. Many others do not regard children as important/worth greeting (I hated typing this sentence but growing up the way I did, I saw many things).

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is more likely to be tied back to domestic violence, than anything - MOO. I’m hoping LE finds answers for this child soon. Hopefully he is being well loved in the meantime.

Just curious though- what if no one ever comes forward or is found? What’s the process then?

A bit of a rush to judgment to think of "coyotes" taking people over the border when Texas - where that news story I believe you are referencing is... - and Illinois - where this thread takes place - are at polar opposite ends of the country, right? Or am I missing something?
While you are not wrong - Texas and Illinois are pretty far from each, Texas and Chicago, specifically, are safe havens for immigrants.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back