IL IL - Boy, 2-3 yo, wandering alone 1:30am West 107th St, Roseland Dist, no shoes or pants, speaks Spanish, looking for his family, Chicago, 21 Dec 2023

I wonder if his mother is a victim of sex trafficking and her captors did not want the child around.

I do agree that the way the child was found (middle of the night, no shoes, etc) seems to indicate he wandered away from somewhere.

Who was the little girl in Boston who was found washed up on a beach and it took several months to identifier the mother? It reminds me a little bit of that case.

I too had the thought this child might have been transported to the southside neighborhood and abandoned. Given the temperature and lack of warm clothing; that was a death sentence. This tyke defied the odds.

Or, the caregiver left him to go out clubbing, or has met with death whether through drugs or DV. I’m not leaning towards deceased elder caregiver, as I think that would have been discovered by now. The general health of the child suggests a mother who met with a sudden demise, or simply abandoned the child.

I do think LE needs to look beyond the south side to solve this one; I suspect the child might have been cruelly abandoned there, outside of their own neighborhood.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I have a feeling that a combination of factors may be going on here. X-raying the wrist, or looking at their teeth, can very accurately (within a matter of a month or so at this age) give a child's age, much more so than height or weight. (I knew a couple who adopted 3 girls from China, and they didn't know how old one of them was; they were told she was 3 years old but she didn't act or look like a 3-year-old, and this determined that she was more likely 18-20 months old which made more sense. In some parts of China, children are considered to be 1 year old at birth.)

I think this is more likely to be tied back to domestic violence, than anything - MOO. I’m hoping LE finds answers for this child soon. Hopefully he is being well loved in the meantime.

Just curious though- what if no one ever comes forward or is found? What’s the process then?
In Illinois, child custody laws are governed by Chapter 750 of the Illinois Statutes which outlines the legal processes and standards used to determine the allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time. The law prioritizes the best interests of the child, considering factors like parental abilities, child's wishes if old enough to be a factor, and school situation if of school age.. But that law is written assuming the parent(s) are known. If the parents are known but have no contact with a child for 12 months (communication or visit) than the parental right can be petitioned to be severed. But in a case where the parent/guardian is a mystery - that would be a good question for an attorney if any of you can answer that.

I have a feeling that a combination of factors may be going on here. X-raying the wrist, or looking at their teeth, can very accurately (within a matter of a month or so at this age) give a child's age, much more so than height or weight. (I knew a couple who adopted 3 girls from China, and they didn't know how old one of them was; they were told she was 3 years old but she didn't act or look like a 3-year-old, and this determined that she was more likely 18-20 months old which made more sense. In some parts of China, children are considered to be 1 year old at birth.)
More important information to me is where the child was found.
[..]
The boy, estimated to be between 2-3 years old, was observed walking alone with no shoes or pants at 1:30 a.m. in the vicinity of 105 W. 107th Street
[..]

The temperature that night was near freezing (36F). Where the child was found couldn't have been very far from his caregiver was or where he had been left for the night (sheltered). I suspect only one or two buildings away. He was barefoot with no pants. The search should be concentrated in that area.

Someone also must have reported to LE fairly quickly after he was found wandering...at 1:30 am.....

The location looks to be residential with a significantly traveled empty lot next door to 105 w. 107th.

Hoping he is either reunited with family soon or introduced into a good foster care family.

JMO

but don't most people know what their neighbours look like? I certainly always have known their faces and names (I know that's not quite as common for some) but even a face you see.
I don't live in Chicago, but I live in an apartment complex in a major city, and no. People are always moving in and out and everyone has different schedules, so it's rare to see each other often. I've talked to my next door neighbor a grand total of once, and I don't know her name and I don't know if I'd recognize her face if I saw her outside of the building. That's not unusual for where I live.

Also, regarding the possibility that this child and/or his family may be undocumented: I normally wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because he's Spanish-speaking, but given it's been over a week and his family hasn't come forward it's definitely a possibility. I'm reminded of Anjelica Castillo/Baby Hope, where her mother had suspected something bad might had happened to her but never reported her missing due to being undocumented and a language barrier.

Has his story been published in any Spanish media or on Spanish news channels? Chicago Tribune publishes some articles in Spanish, but there aren't any about the boy.

I wonder if his mother is a victim of sex trafficking and her captors did not want the child around.

I do agree that the way the child was found (middle of the night, no shoes, etc) seems to indicate he wandered away from somewhere.

Who was the little girl in Boston who was found washed up on a beach and it took several months to identifier the mother? It reminds me a little bit of that case.
Baby Bella. I thought of her right away.

Sadly, I'm concerned what this means for the boy's mother. That seems most likely to me, given that it sounds like the child was not neglected.

While I understand illegal immigrants' general fear about coming forward, how many mothers really want to stay in the US at the cost of their young child?

As far as age/communication, just based on the photos, I'm not sure I'd conclude he's older than my niece who is less than 2 years old (who can't say her name yet). I think the reliability depends on who made the estimate. If it was a pediatrician at the hospital, then likely reliable. But as others have said, the stress and trauma of the situation can make it irrelevant.

I wonder what "canvassing" the neighborhood consists of. I live in a very tight neighborhood, and I've been introduced to a number of neighbors, but the only neighbors I'd recognize out of context are the ones I share a duplex with. I also never answer my door. I don't even have a working doorbell. And there is no way to access my front door to knock on it. You'd have to succeed in getting my neighbors' attention, and then ask them to knock on my front door or for permission to enter. And then I'll usually answer if I hear it.

You'd have to distribute flyers to every home with the child's picture to have any possible hope of reaching everyone, but then again, this time of year many people are away for the holidays. But hopefully they've done that.

Wonder if any neighborhood cameras show his movement. I also wonder if you take him back to the neighborhood, if he would know his route home, or to a store they frequented, etc. I'm not sure what developmental age you need to be for that, but they do recognize places at that age. I would think they've already tried that.

The temperature that night was near freezing (36F). Where the child was found couldn't have been very far from his caregiver was or where he had been left for the night (sheltered). I suspect only one or two buildings away. He was barefoot with no pants. The search should be concentrated in that area.
No idea if any of that could be relevant, but looking at the map:
  • There are 2 different churches very close by: Greater Revelation MB Church (south from 107th) and International Deliverance Center Church of God in Christ (north from 107th). Both just slightly over ~100m or ~330 ft.
  • Quite close there is a little corner store that has an ATM inside, but they are open 8-20. To the other side, there is a a food & deli with an ATM, that one is open 8-22.
  • Didn't notice any CCTV
  • W 107th street is somewhat larger than I thought, could maybe be taken to reach I-57 or S Halsted st when going south out of town?

Moo..maybe the child's guardian thinks foster care or adoption are in the child's best interest?
Surely they couldn’t have thought letting a toddler wander half dressed in 30 degree weather was the right approach? It’s a miracle he didn’t expire.

Surely they couldn’t have thought letting a toddler wander half dressed in 30 degree weather was the right approach? It’s a miracle he didn’t expire.

That’s so troublesome, the fact the child was not dressed for being outside. For being tucked in bed? Yes. But not outside. So how did he get there?

That’s so troublesome, the fact the child was not dressed for being outside. For being tucked in bed? Yes. But not outside. So how did he get there?
IMO, he was in the care of or sheltering with someone in the immediate neighborhood. Either in one of the residences or in a car parked in the empty lot/parking lot next to where he was found.

He could not have been outside for very long barefoot at 36F. LE has made no statements about hypothermia or frostbite.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler
Back