April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

Weddings planned in Seneca County, Ohio during the eclipse -

Seneca County is holding “Elope at the Eclipse” and the number of couples signing up “is soaring,” Destination Seneca County Executive Director Bryce Riggs told Fox 8 News Thursday.

“Most of the couples are from Ohio, and Northeast Ohio, but now we have couples singed up from Texas, New York City, and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan,” according to Riggs.

“We have a couple signed up from San Antonio which is about 1,400 miles each way,” Riggs added.

Brian Entin reposted

I just heard an expert say half of people who see the eclipse for the first time will cry - is this true ?!

Anyone traveling for the eclipse tomorrow?Starting to nerd out about it.Next one in the US won’t be for 20 years.We will have great angles on @NewsNation tomorrow all along the path.

Millions across America are anticipating Monday’s total solar eclipse. Follow along on NewsNation as
@BrianEntin and our team of correspondents across the country preview the rare occasion in the U.S.More: https://trib.al/VSIghtg

Calling all umbraphiles (eclipse chasers) - list of locations of total solar eclipses over the next few years. It's never too soon to start planning for the next one . Cruise, vacation . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Solar Eclipse of 12 Aug 2026​

This total eclipse will pass over eastern Greenland, western Iceland, the north coast of Spain, and will end at sunset in the Balearic Islands.
A beautiful eclipse!

Annular Solar Eclipse of 6 Feb 2027​

This annular eclipse visits Chile, Argentina
and the east coast of South America.
It then crosses the Atlantic to end at sunset in western equatorial Africa.

Total Solar Eclipse of 2 Aug 2027​

This spectacular eclipse will pass over Gibraltar, the coast near Tripoli, and then on to Benghazi, Luxor and Mecca. A day to remember, no matter where you're located!

Annular Solar Eclipse of 26 Jan 2028​

This eclipse crosses northern South America, then crosses the Atlantic to end in Gibraltar and Spain at sunset.

Total Solar Eclipse of 22 Jul 2028​

This eclipse crosses the northwestern and central parts of Australia, before passing directly over downtown Sydney! Queenstown and Dunedin on NZ's South Island will see totality at sunset as well.

Total Solar Eclipse of 20 Mar 2034​

This eclipse passes over central Africa, and then crosses the Middle East to end at sunset in western China.

Total Solar Eclipse of 13 Jul 2037​

Another eclipse for Oceania! This one passes over the entire width of Australia, with Uluru firmly in the path and Alice Springs and Brisbane on the edge. This time, it's NZ's North Island that will see totality!

we have clear skies! Eclipse begins at 12:45 pm here and I am stoked. We do have a 1pm appointment that will probably interfere with my ability to view the full lead up but by totality I should be free and outdoors watching. Got my glasses, got my filter for my phone. I am ready for photos!

During totality, look for the "Diamond Ring" effect -

Look for drops of sunlight to form around the moon, known as Baily's beads, as sunlight streams over the craters and valleys of the lunar surface. After about 30 seconds to a minute, some of those drops will appear to merge together, creating a glistening “diamond ring” effect.2 hours

Total solar eclipse: Where and when to watch and what to look out for | CNN​

Calling all umbraphiles (eclipse chasers) - list of locations of total solar eclipses over the next few years. It's never too soon to start planning for the next one . Cruise, vacation . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Solar Eclipse of 12 Aug 2026​

This total eclipse will pass over eastern Greenland, western Iceland, the north coast of Spain, and will end at sunset in the Balearic Islands.
A beautiful eclipse!

Annular Solar Eclipse of 6 Feb 2027​

This annular eclipse visits Chile, Argentina
and the east coast of South America.
It then crosses the Atlantic to end at sunset in western equatorial Africa.

Total Solar Eclipse of 2 Aug 2027​

This spectacular eclipse will pass over Gibraltar, the coast near Tripoli, and then on to Benghazi, Luxor and Mecca. A day to remember, no matter where you're located!

Annular Solar Eclipse of 26 Jan 2028​

This eclipse crosses northern South America, then crosses the Atlantic to end in Gibraltar and Spain at sunset.

Total Solar Eclipse of 22 Jul 2028​

This eclipse crosses the northwestern and central parts of Australia, before passing directly over downtown Sydney! Queenstown and Dunedin on NZ's South Island will see totality at sunset as well.

Total Solar Eclipse of 20 Mar 2034​

This eclipse passes over central Africa, and then crosses the Middle East to end at sunset in western China.

Total Solar Eclipse of 13 Jul 2037​

Another eclipse for Oceania! This one passes over the entire width of Australia, with Uluru firmly in the path and Alice-G Springs and Brisbane on the edge. This time, it's NZ's North Island that will see totality!

Wow, imagine watching a total solar eclipse over Luxor.

That would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Yes, but we will see only a partial eclipse, which is interesting but nothing like a total eclipse (see quote from Annie Dillard below)! We will have about 80% coverage of the sun by the moon here, so I don't expect to see darkening of the sky.

On the Morehead Planetarium (in Chapel Hill, NC) website is this info (red font by me):
If you didn’t know about the eclipse, you might not notice much or any difference in the North Carolina sky. Twenty percent of the Sun’s light is still a lot of light! After experiencing the 1979 Pacific Northwest total solar eclipse, the writer Annie Dillard described the difference between a partial and total solar eclipse as the difference between riding in an airplane and falling out of it. For the full mind-blowing experience, you must travel to the path of totality. Not merely close to it but all the way into it.
I was replying to @Niner in the above post.

During totality, look for the "Diamond Ring" effect -

Look for drops of sunlight to form around the moon, known as Baily's beads, as sunlight streams over the craters and valleys of the lunar surface. After about 30 seconds to a minute, some of those drops will appear to merge together, creating a glistening “diamond ring” effect.2 hours

Total solar eclipse: Where and when to watch and what to look out for | CNN

Ok adding “Lucy in the sky with diamonds “ to the play list.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back