April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

Last edited:
Well, that was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. Seeing all the solar lights & street lights come on then seeing stars in the sky at 3pm is just bonkers! :D It didn't get as dark as I thought it might, but it was still amazing.

Oh my goodness, that must have been exhilarating. Our skies cleared in time to see a lovely partial eclipse and eerie lighting. I see that it would have been worth the drive into SE Ontario.

Oh my goodness, that must have been exhilarating. Our skies cleared in time to see a lovely partial eclipse and eerie lighting. I see that it would have been worth the drive into SE Ontario.
I had seen many people posting pics on twitter and also saying "the pics do NOT do it justice!" and didn't realize until I also tried to take pics, what they meant. I think our phones were trying to compensate for the lack of light, because my pics also didn't do it justice at all. Just such a cool thing to see.

It’s done here. It got so cool outside and was really surreal. What was really amazing is that the off and on clouds parted just in time to see the whole thing. And @anneg , you were right, I couldn’t see it at all through the glasses, it was totally black. I HAD to remove them to see it in totality.
I'm thrilled that you got to see it!

DH and I went to UNC's Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill to view the partial eclipse here. It was a beautiful day, sunny and and in the low 70s. The Planetarium ran out of eclipse glasses for sale, but we had ours from the 2017 total eclipse and were able to see the peak with about 80% of the sun obscured by the moon. We ran into some friends and sat outside on the steps.
Morehead Planetarium:
1712613493731.jpeg
Eclipsed sun images through the leaves on the sidewalk:
1712613577694.jpeg

It’s done here. It got so cool outside and was really surreal. What was really amazing is that the off and on clouds parted just in time to see the whole thing. And @anneg , you were right, I couldn’t see it at all through the glasses, it was totally black. I HAD to remove them to see it in totality.
Surreal is the best description I have heard so far that describes my experience today.

When I took off the eclipse glasses to look around, when I looked up again it was jolting. Then saw the diamond ring effect, was amazed. Then looked around some more at the twilight, dusk-like sky, felt the cold as the temperature had dropped significantly, and the whole thing was surreal. I'm glad I had three full minutes to take it all in.

I also saw Venus to the lower right of the eclipsed sun.

All through hazy wispy clouds, but still good visibility of the total eclipse.

Last edited:
Well, that was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. Seeing all the solar lights & street lights come on then seeing stars in the sky at 3pm is just bonkers! :D It didn't get as dark as I thought it might, but it was still amazing.
Yes! I had forgotten that part, but seeing the street lights come on just added to the surreal experience of it all.

It was mostly cloudy today in Erie, but the clouds moved enough for us to see the phases of totality and also full totality including the diamond ring. The kids loved seeing the stars come out. The birds were moving, seemingly confused. Here are a few Google Pixel photos. Not NASA quality, but they give the idea. Great time!

image000003.jpegimage000001.jpegimage000005.jpeg

Donate your UNDAMAGED / unused eclipse glasses.MAIL TO Eclipse Glasses USA, LLC, P.O. Box 50571, Provo, Utah, 84605. The glasses will be recycled and donated to school-aged children in South America to enjoy the upcoming annual eclipse in October.

I was rushing to get home to watch the eclipse earlier today and the car in front of me had an out-of-state plate that read UNICORN. I thought at the time that this was somehow fitting given the rarity of the day's events.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back