CONVICTION OVERTURNED AK - Kent Leppink, 36, murdered, Hope, 2 May 1996

Getting around the thirty day limit may be one of the legal issues State prosecutor Paul Miovas mentioned he has to work through before asking for another indictment. He also said that he intends to go to the Grand Jury again in the next few weeks. We'll see.

Individuals have the right to entertain whatever prejudice they prefer, but government does not have that privilege. Individuals acting for the government have their own opinions, but when acting for the government are constrained by the Constitution to treat people with equality. If the State of Alaska cannot indict and convict Mechele Linehan for the death of Kent Leppink, that government should not be able to hold her in suspicion forever. The State of Alaska should put up or shut up. Mechele deserves to be exonerated by the State of Alaska since it brought charges against her that were unsustainable.

www.othercircumstances.blogspot.com

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Social Networks
Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

<snip> and BBM

Flourish: You wrote:

" And Mechele's supporter(s) have the audacity to criticize him for wanting to hold the state accountable??? "

I am part of those who are Mechele's supporters. You didn't state you were excluding anyone. Also, I have searched the Wall at the Free Mechele Facebook Page, and I cannot find the comments you refer to.

<snipped facebook copy and paste> RBBM

Please see above for the mod, Imamaze's post re: quoting from social networking sites.

Note my use of the word "supporter(s)." The (s) at the end indicates that I am referring to one or more supporters in my statement. I deliberately used that format because I did not want to assume nor imply that I was assuming that all of Mechele's supporters felt that way.

I am not currently at a location where I have access to facebook to check and see if the comment was removed or not, but I do recall that it was a comment made in response to a wall posting...possibly even the posting you refer to above.

You seem to be bothered by the idea of being generalized into a group. I can certainly relate to that.

Some might view this as a wonderful opportunity for self-examination and consideration of how one themselves treats and refers to people.

Individuals have the right to entertain whatever prejudice they prefer, but government does not have that privilege. Individuals acting for the government have their own opinions, but when acting for the government are constrained by the Constitution to treat people with equality. If the State of Alaska cannot indict and convict Mechele Linehan for the death of Kent Leppink, that government should not be able to hold her in suspicion forever. The State of Alaska should put up or shut up. Mechele deserves to be exonerated by the State of Alaska since it brought charges against her that were unsustainable.

www.othercircumstances.blogspot.com

Getting around the thirty day limit may be one of the legal issues State prosecutor Paul Miovas mentioned he has to work through before asking for another indictment. He also said that he intends to go to the Grand Jury again in the next few weeks. We'll see.

Seems like you may have answered your own question there.

Flourish: I'm not sure what question you think I had or how you think I've answered it. You questioned whether there was any truth in the thirty day limit keeping the prosecutor from seeking another indictment. I pointed out how it could be one of what the prosecutor called "legal issues" he must overcome. When he prosecutor still fails to re-indict and convict her, Mechele is due amends from the State of Alaska.

Flourish: I'm not sure what question you think I had or how you think I've answered it. You questioned whether there was any truth in the thirty day limit keeping the prosecutor from seeking another indictment. I pointed out how it could be one of what the prosecutor called "legal issues" he must overcome. When he prosecutor still fails to re-indict and convict her, Mechele is due amends from the State of Alaska.

Ah, it seems I misunderstood and may still not understand your question, and probably don't know the answer to it anyway, if there is an answer.

But does Mechele have legal standing to sue to State of Alaska if they don't re-indict her? How does that work? Do you know more about that?

Flourish: Are you criticizing me for not providing a link from site you provided the link to, or are you criticizing me from quoting a comment on a blog that would not be considered fact but opinion? I wasn't trying to prove a point by quoting it. I was trying to find the comment you alluded to yourself. But if it is just the use of a quote from a blog, how is it alright for Nancy Botwin to put a comment from Free Mechele into Photobucket herself and then link to it?

The ADN article says there is no date set for trial, however, court records indicate the court has set a tentative date for the trial to begin on Sept 13, 2010. I imagine that this will be pushed back and my guess would be that the trial won't actually start until early 2011, but that's just a guess :)

Also I noted a perhaps interesting new development on the Free Mechele FB page. As previously noted, the defense and Mechele's supporters have publicly insisted Mechele only worked as an exotic dancer for a brief period while she was in Alaska. However, as I recall, Mechele's mother indicated in the early press coverage that Mechele did indeed dance in New Orleans before and after her time in Alaska. Early press coverage indicated Mechele did indeed strip on Bourbon Street until she became engaged to Dr. Linehan.

In addition, lots of internet comments have indicated some of her former coworkers in New Orleans had a very unfavorable opinion of Linehan that comports with the prosecution's narrative/assessment of her character and propensity to commit illegal acts. Some of those comments contain specific allegations of illegal acts and the accusation that Mechele was again using her sister's identity while working during that period. Personally, I don't care if Mechele worked as an exotic dancer in 43 states for 20+ years. But I do think it's suspect and disturbing that Mechele and her defenders LIE about the issue. It makes me more inclined to believe all the online allegations re: illegal behavior in New Orleans before and after her time in Alaska. Why is it so important to conceal the fact that Mechele worked as a dancer on Bourbon street? Would this revelation bring forth new witnesses and allegations of prior of bad acts? It seems to me that if a person is going to have a knee-jerk bias to an exotic dancer, they are going to have that bias whether the dancer worked for 18 months or 30 months?

So anyway, this morning a former Big Daddy's (strip club on Bourbon Street where Mechele allegedly worked) employee joined the Free Mechele FB site, identified herself as a former co-worker of Mechele's and wrote Mechele a kind note of support. The former co-worker's kind note of support was mysteriously deleted soon after. I find this suspicious. One could say Mechele is simply trying to completely distance herself from the "stripper issue" because being associated in any way with the exotic dance industry has caused unfair bias against her. Why then did Mechele consent to a bond agreement secured by a local strip club? Why do her defense attorneys & supporters continue to lean on the favorable testimony of her former coworkers from the Bush Company in Alaska (Honi Martin and Tina Brady)?

My theory is that Mechele has a vested interest in hiding whatever she was up to when she was stripping on Bourbon Street after Leppink's murder and after she left Alaska. It's interesting and I hope the prosecution is looking into this period of Ms. Linehan's life.

Here is the deleted comment. I have whited out the commenter's face and last name, but made no other modifications.
Picture1-1.jpg

Does anyone else think it's weird this woman's comment was deleted? Do you have theories or opinions about why Mechele & Co. are untruthful in their assertions that Mechele only worked as a dancer for 18 months while she was in Alaska?

I think Mechele would have to show misconduct on the part of the prosecution before she can sue. I'm not even sure she can sue for that. That's why I think the amends of at least a letter of exoneration should be forthcoming if the prosecution cannot re-indict and convict.

Flourish: Are you criticizing me for not providing a link from site you provided the link to, or are you criticizing me from quoting a comment on a blog that would not be considered fact but opinion? I wasn't trying to prove a point by quoting it. I was trying to find the comment you alluded to yourself. But if it is just the use of a quote from a blog, how is it alright for Nancy Botwin to put a comment from Free Mechele into Photobucket herself and then link to it?

I'm not criticizing you. I was just reminding everyone of the rules as Imamaze told us a couple of pages ago. We can provide links to facebook pages, but we aren't supposed to copy and paste comments from there over to here. As for Nancy Botwyn's post, that post was made by Nancy Botwyn, not me, and was also posted a while ago and perhaps the rules have been fine-tuned since then. Or perhaps a moderator never saw that post...there's only so many mods to go around so it's helpful for them if posters alert posts they find questionable.

Posts can be alerted for a mod to look at by clicking on the red triangle at the top right of the post. If you're concerned about a post not following a rule, then the best thing to do is alert the post so a mod can take a look at it, and edit or delete if they see fit. I hope that helps.

I think Mechele would have to show misconduct on the part of the prosecution before she can sue. I'm not even sure she can sue for that. That's why I think the amends of at least a letter of exoneration should be forthcoming if the prosecution cannot re-indict and convict.

One would think the DA will at the very least have to file a motion or some such document which states that they are not seeking a re-indictment. Are they required to write a letter of exoneration for people they didn't have enough evidence to convict? Are these letters written to everyone whose been arrested but not convicted?

The freedictionary defines "exoneration" as:
1. To free from blame.
2. To free from a responsibility, obligation, or task.

link to definition
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Exoneration

Not having enough evidence to feel confident enough to try for a re-indictment does not mean that Mechele is exonerated. No one is ever declared by a court to be innocent, or "free from blame."

If letters of exoneration are not required or routine, then why should Mechele get one?

Just a reminder that a new season of the ID channel is airing a show on this case tonight at, I believe, 8 CST. The previews look the same as previous episodes though.

Just a reminder that a new season of the ID channel is airing a show on this case tonight at, I believe, 8 CST. The previews look the same as previous episodes though.

I assume it's "48 Hours on ID," which is just old 48 Hours episodes with different announcers and some of the one-hour ones have been expanded to two-hours with more commercials.

There are two versions of Mechele's 48 Hours episode--the original includes an interview with her where she becomes upset and stops the interview. The newer version edited that piece out, but then added a short piece at the end showing Mechele right after she left the prison, and in her new apartment. I suspect she would only agree to filming the new end piece if 48 Hours edited out the part of the interview she didn't like.

I wonder if the episode airing tonight will be the original, the new one, or a new version of the new one.

Nope, I was wrong--it's not a 48 Hours episode at all.
The series is called "Sins and Secrets." This episode is entitled "Anchorage."

I've got my DVR set up! I won't be able to watch tonight but probably this weekend...and you KNOW I'll report back :)

Interesting information from American Pardon Services at http://www.americanpardons.com/clear_your_record/state_by_state_policies/

That site really focuses on pardons and expunging of records, but doesn't necessarily directly address exoneration documentation.

When I googled "letter of exoneration," I noted that many of the linked articles refer to those letters as "rare."

Additionally, I found this information from States who provide compensation for those wrongfully convicted. - Prison Talk

Sixteen states have laws providing compensation for wrongful convictions; All require some proof of "actual innocence," such as DNA test results; many have other restrictions such as requiring a pardon from the governor or prohibiting compensation to an exonerated individual who initially entered a guilty plea.
Alaska is listed as not being one of the sixteen states that does not have a law for that kind of compensation. More at the link.

I do not claim that all sites I link to are accurate or inaccurate--you can use your best judgement.

the facebook post I previously referred to is indeed still on the page, and is a comment to a post which begins with "fly away." HTH

I suspect there are some confused feelings for Carlin IV. The poor kid had just lost his mom, moved clear across the country to Alaska, then he had to live in that obviously dysfunctional household with Mechele and her suitors, then deal with the murder and aftermath and moving across the country again, and all that before his dad was even put in prison and subsequently murdered himself! He is the one I have the most sympathy for in this situation. Michele's daughter, too, of course, but at least Mechele's daughter has had a consistent father and frequent visit and phone calls with her mother. And from the very brief interviews and statements I've seen by Carlin IV, I've wondered if he might have some slight cognitive processing issues. If so, that would have only made all of the above that much more difficult for him.

IMO, FWIW, etc.

This is a very good analysis of Carlin IV and I also have some sympathy for him. His father came across as somewhat dim-witted - 'like father like son'. He does seem to be enjoying the notoriety though, with appearances on E! and ID.

It's difficult to assess where he stands on the issues. Sometimes he's supportive of Mechele and other times he is not. I thought his statement on the Sins and Secrets documentary claiming he was asleep the night Kent was killed and really didn't know whether his father left the house or not was astonishing.

Perhaps one day he'll wake up and realize his father's untimely death was directly related to his relationship with Linehan.

If Mechele had never been charged with conspiracy to murder, there would not have been an action by the State of Alaska casting suspicion on her. The State of Alaska did charge her with conspiracy to murder. How long should the State of Alaska allow her name to be tainted by that charge without doing something about it?

I mentioned a letter of exoneration because I had heard about it being used before. I really don't care what the release is called. If the State of Alaska cannot bring her to trial where she can clear her name, the State of Alaska should acknowledge that and make amends for what it has done to her. Individuals may have their own opinions about whether she's guilty or not, but the State of Alaska should not be allowed to forever hold her name tainted by a charge it cannot prosecute.

This is a very good analysis of Carlin IV and I also have some sympathy for him. His father came across as somewhat dim-witted - 'like father like son'. He does seem to be enjoying the notoriety though, with appearances on E! and ID.

It's difficult to assess where he stands on the issues. Sometimes he's supportive of Mechele and other times he is not. I thought his statement on the Sins and Secrets documentary claiming he was asleep the night Kent was killed and really didn't know whether his father left the house or not was astonishing.

Perhaps one day he'll wake up and realize his father's untimely death was directly related to his relationship with Linehan.

Oh wow, I didn't realize there was even anything about this case aired on E! I'll have to watch for a re-run. I DVRd the Sins and Secrets episode, but haven't watched it yet.
How interesting that Carlin IV was interviewed for those programs, but apparently is unwilling to be cooperative with the DA. How frustrating for justice.

I don't understand why the state of Alaska should write a letter of anything for Mechele. Unless every person who is arrested and then not successfully prosecuted gets a letter of some sort from the state, then why should Mechele get something?

I find it ridiculous to expect the state to write a letter to anyone who has been arrested but ultimately not convicted. Like what would it say? "We're sorry we didn't have enough evidence so you got away with murder?" "Sorry you covered your crime so well?" "We apologize for doing our jobs?" I mean, really.

And would a piece of paper even be meaningful to Mechele and her supporter(s)?

Okay, so the E! show was dramatically entitled "Fatal Beauty: Notorious Women." It features 15 women that E! has deemed the "Most Notorious," and includes the ever-so lovely dames Casey Anthony and Karla Homolka. :puke:
It airs again next Tuesday, the 24th at 6pm PST.

It's on youtube, too, in several parts:

http://youtu.be/f6MN2Ojw2nQ

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieKel