Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #2

I can’t help but feel sorry for the mother. She has to live with her decisions to allow her daughter to go with her partner. And the poor grandmother, who was the primary carer - my heart goes out to her.

I feel for the grandmother.

The mother is an unknown quantity thus far and I'm not convinced she has capacity to give a care. I wonder what her role in gaining a conviction will be.

Probably going to say she accidentally shot herself playing with a gun and so he panicked and tried to hide her body. Or she was shot by an intruder and he panicked and tried to hide her.

I'm not sure how prosecution could argue against it but I hope they have some solid arguments and this guy gets what he deserves.

Good point. Accidentally shot herself, as a criminal he shouldn’t have had any firearms in his possession and so he was scared of going back to prison, panicked and covered it up.

Good point. Accidentally shot herself, as a criminal he shouldn’t have had any firearms in his possession and so he was scared of going back to prison, panicked and covered it up.

Sadly, I imagine that's what he's going to say, why wouldn't he and we have no way of knowing the truth?
I can think of at least five pretty convincing stories off the top of my head and IIRC, LE never found the weapon so he can say whatever he likes :(

Sadly, I imagine that's what he's going to say, why wouldn't he and we have no way of knowing the truth?
I can think of at least five pretty convincing stories off the top of my head and IIRC, LE never found the weapon so he can say whatever he likes :(
The location and angle of the wounds could potentially tell us the truth. Also, if there really were multiple shots as some reports have said, that could be indicative that this was not accidental depending on the type of gun

The location and angle of the wounds could potentially tell us the truth. Also, if there really were multiple shots as some reports have said, that could be indicative that this was not accidental depending on the type of gun

If the firearm used was a rifle, it might be kinda hard for CM to accidently shoot herself with it.
I suspect it was a rifle, because the police tested the stolen rifle they found.

A member of the public alerted police to a “suspicious area of disturbed ground” off a fire trail in Mount Wilson on January 30, where police discovered a buried blue tarp with more camouflage, foliage and dirt.

According to court documents, multiple items were found including a BSA .22 calibre bolt action rifle, Winchester Level Action 3030 shotgun, empty magazine clip from the rifle, ammunition, a bag with spent/unused cartridges, and black garbage bags.

JS’s fingerprints were allegedly found on the rifle, and ballistics examinations of the firearm identified characteristics consistent with the firearm used in the alleged murder, but investigators were unable to make a definitive comparison.

Mother of allegedly murdered CM, pleads guilty over home invasion

Probably going to say she accidentally shot herself playing with a gun and so he panicked and tried to hide her body.

In NSW the Firearms Act states that when any firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in an approved locked receptacle. Ammunition for the firearm must be stored in an approved locked container.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/131178/Safe_Storage_Level_1_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Ammunition must be stored in a locked container, separate from the firearms - sections 40 (1)(d) & 41(1)(c) of the Act. The ammunition storage may be separate altogether, or may be a separate locked compartment or receptacle within the firearms safe storage receptacle or safe.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__dat...1154/Ammunition_Safe_Storage_-_FACT_Sheet.pdf

JMO, but while not impossible, I find it hard to believe that CM would have been "playing" with any firearm.

If a rifle was used, there would be a discrepancy between the length of CM’s arms and the firearm barrel, so I'd be more than interested to learn how her finger was able to reach the trigger. Adults who commit suicide using a rifle frequently attach a string from their hand to the trigger as they can't reach it.

This matter is listed for Mention on 13th October, 2023, at Penrith District Court.

13 Oct10:00 am2022/00144641R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Unassigned
PenrithUnassigned-
13 Oct10:00 am2022/00144639R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Unassigned
PenrithUnassigned-

NSW Online Registry
Courts and Tribunals

The trial date is set for next year.....

"He will now face a trial estimated to last up to seven weeks at the Supreme Court at Parramatta, in Sydney’s West, on May 6, 2024."

Last edited:
This matter is listed for Mention on 13th October, 2023, at Penrith District Court.

13 Oct10:00 am2022/00144641R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Unassigned
PenrithUnassigned-
13 Oct10:00 am2022/00144639R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Unassigned
PenrithUnassigned-

NSW Online Registry
Courts and Tribunals

The trial date is set for next year.....

"He will now face a trial estimated to last up to seven weeks at the Supreme Court at Parramatta, in Sydney’s West, on May 6, 2024."

This case has taken such a long time to come to court, does anyone know why?

The presiding officer is now listed as Her Honour Judge Sophia Beckett....

DateTimeCase no.Case nameJurisdictionCourtListing typePresiding officerLocationCourt roomList no.
13 Oct9:15 am2022/00144641R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Judge S Beckett
PenrithPenrith
Court 1 Penrith
-
13 Oct9:15 am2022/00144639R v JUSTIN STEINCriminalDistrict CourtMention
  • Judge S Beckett
PenrithPenrith
Court 1 Penrith
-

I was just reading up on Judge Sophia Beckett. She has only been a judge since 2019 but she is very esteemed in her background. Well regarded and respected, and has defended and prosecuted some big cases - she was co-defence for The Butcher of Bega (Dr Graeme Reeves) at trial and at appeal.

Has there been any further developements in this case? Anyone local have any updates?

There probably won't be much happening before the trial starts in May next year. Perhaps a court mention or two to ensure that both sides are still on track for the trial .. which is supposed to start on 6th May and go for about 7 weeks.

imo

Update

On Monday, Justice Helen Wilson confirmed that JS would face a seven-week trial in the NSW Supreme Court at Parramatta on May 6.

Prosecutor Ken McKay SC said the Crown would seek to rely on evidence of websites Mr S had accessed in the lead-up to January 12 when C disappeared.

He also foreshadowed an application for the judge to visit the house in Mt Wilson where Mr S allegedly killed C

“We hope to have that done in the next three weeks,” he said.

JS to face trial in May

<mod note - names of both accused and victim redacted - please use initials only>

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

On Monday, Justice Helen Wilson confirmed that JS would face a seven-week trial in the NSW Supreme Court at Parramatta on May 6.

Prosecutor Ken McKay SC said the Crown would seek to rely on evidence of websites Mr S had accessed in the lead-up to January 12 when C disappeared.

He also foreshadowed an application for the judge to visit the house in Mt Wilson where Mr S allegedly killed C.

“We hope to have that done in the next three weeks,” he said.

JS to face trial in May
<mod note - names of both accused and victim redacted - please use initials only>

Websites? This doesn't sound good - I wonder if he was planning something for this poor little girl before he even met her. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back