Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #2

From the article

The pair met while they were both serving jail sentences.
Mutten was in prison for the crime of dangerous driving occasioning death, the court was told.

BBM : Did we know this??

They must have taken awhile seating a jury - not one I'd like to be on IMO
Hard to find, but eventually did find this…..

“My daughter comes on the 21st, so I'm looking forward to that,' she wrote on December 5, the Herald reported.

Ms M met S while she was serving a three-year-prison sentence after getting behind the wheel while high on ice and causing a car crash that killed her passenger in 2017.

The couple exchanged letters until Ms M was released from prison and the pair became engaged shortly afterwards. They had been making plans to move to Far North Queensland to start their lives together.

Ms M has been in drug rehab previously for treatment for a methamphetamine addiction.

She served more than two years in prison for killing her 53-year-old friend Karen 'Kaz' Bunch after driving off road and into the Tweed River while high on ice.

She was convicted at Lismore Court on November 24, 2017 of dangerous driving occasioning death and driving with an illicit substance in her system.”
CM's mother sent friends FB messages about fiance before arrest

<mod note - sub judice - names redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:
“She suffered two gunshot wounds, entering the right side of her face with a projectile in her head, and a shot to the left lower back,” Mr McKay told the panel.

The court was told photographic evidence would be tendered to the court during the trial showing C “partially appearing in” the barrel in some “outer plastic items”.

Alleged murderer of schoolgirl CM claims her mother is responsible for shooting death

<mod note - sub judice - please use initials only>

“She suffered two gunshot wounds, entering the right side of her face with a projectile in her head, and a shot to the left lower back,” Mr McKay told the panel.

The court was told photographic evidence would be tendered to the court during the trial showing C “partially appearing in” the barrel in some “outer plastic items”.

Alleged murderer of schoolgirl CM claims her mother is responsible for shooting death

<mod note - sub judice - please use initials only>
Do you think that means CM was placed in a bag, before being put in the barrel? Or am I misinterpreting that statement?

Good article in the Sydney Morning Herald … by good, I mean more details …

From the Defence ….

Opening the defence case on Monday, JS’s barrister Carolyn Davenport, SC, said there were two main issues in dispute: when CM was killed, and who killed her.

Davenport said JS had told various stories “to protect KM ”, and the girl was killed “by her mother” near a chicken pen on the Mount Wilson property on the night of January 12.

She said JS heard a gunshot, went outside, and “saw KM firing the second shot at the child”.

He doest’t deny that he disposed of her body,” Davenport said.

Snip

From the Prosecution

The prosecutor alleged JS “was the last person with CM ” and had the opportunity to kill the schoolgirl between 7.16pm on January 11 and 10.06am on January 12, while her mother was at the Riviera Ski Gardens caravan park in Lower Portland, about a one-and-a-half hour drive away.

And more here …..

Man accused of killing CM claims girl’s mother shot her, jury told

Davenport said JS had told various stories “to protect KM ”, and the girl was killed “by her mother” near a chicken pen on the Mount Wilson property on the night of January 12.

I find it hard to believe that LE haven't verified that KM was at the caravan park IMO. Interesting way for the defence to spin it

I find it hard to believe that LE haven't verified that KM was at the caravan park IMO. Interesting way for the defence to spin it
And throwing it out there, to the jury, right from Day 1 …..
The Defence is not going to die wondering …… IMO

Then I looked up the meaning of the interfering with a corpse…..

“What does interfering with a body mean?

These are offensive conduct involving human remains, sexual activity with the corpse of a human being and removal of body parts from the corpse of a human being.”
The definition of this charge is actually quite broad.

In NSW it means "(1) you indecently interfered with any dead human body, or (2) you improperly interfered with, or offered any indignity to, any dead human body or human remains. ‘Indecent’ has been defined as: 'Contrary to the ordinary standards of respectable people in this community'. ‘Interfere’ has been defined as including: 'Altering, defacing, removing, obliterating, concealing or adding anything to'. An ‘indignity’ may be caused where the appropriate respect is not afforded to the body or remains."

In other words, the way in which CS remains were disposed of would in itself be enough to charge the perpetrator with this offence. As far as I can tell the prosecution hasn't alleged anything further, but I'm only basing that on the scant news articles I've read today (in addition to older news).

I'm actually pretty stunned that the defense has taken the tack it has. I don't know why it never occurred to me that JS might suggest KS carried out the murder - maybe just because they were keeping their defense strategy under wraps - but I think they'll have a pretty hard time proving that JS didn't do it. Maybe they know that, and they're just planting reasonable doubt.

Hi everyone,

Some posts have been removed due to sub judice which remains in effect throughout this entire judicial process.

Unrelated to sub judice however, members are no longer required to use initials. That is a policy in place at Websleuths to respect the identity/privacy of living victims. As Charlise was located deceased, her name and Stein's full names may now be used.

JS Trial just finished for the day. This afternoon a few witnesses were questioned. These were people who stayed at Riviera Ski Gardens and got to meet KM, and saw CM and JS on occasions. The main gist was that KM was trying to obtain cigarettes and Coke (drink) from people she came across. It was also stated by a witness that both KM and JS looked very much under the influence of drugs, the male looked unkept and the female was hyperactive.

The housekeeper was questioned and she had little to do with KM, JS and CM. The housekeeper did state that she had seen the plastic barrell at the property and verified a photo of the drum, being and orangey red colour with a black lid.

The landscaper was questioned and he too had little contact with JS, KM and CM.

JS had 2 barristers, a Mr Kent and Ms Davenport.

This is from my attending the court today.

IMO

(I must add that I only arrived at court in the afternoon)

Last edited:
JS Trial just finished for the day. This afternoon a few witnesses were questioned. These were people who stayed at Riviera Ski Gardens and got to meet KM, and saw CM and JS on occasions. The main gist was that KM was trying to obtain cigarettes and Coke (drink) from people she came across. It was also stated by a witness that both KM and JS looked very much under the influence of drugs, the male looked unkept and the female was hyperactive.

The housekeeper was questioned and she had little to do with KM, JS and CM. The housekeeper did state that she had seen the plastic barrell at the property and verified a photo of the drum, being and orangey red colour with a black lid.

The landscaper was questioned and he too had little contact with JS, KM and CM.

JS had 2 barristers, a Mr Kent and Ms Davenport.

This is from my attending the court today.

IMO

(I must add that I only arrived at court in the afternoon)
Thank you for going to the effort to attend and updating us!!

I am trying to work out the significance of the previous stealing of the shotgun and rifle from the neighbours???

Was it a vendetta against those neighbours from long standing feud?? IMO

Appears its not the firearm used in the death of CM.

So what was the plan for those firearms was JS going to do something else ???? JMO

A man accused of killing his fiance's daughter while on a family holiday in the Blue Mountains stole a shotgun and a rifle from a neighbouring property months before she was killed, court documents allege.

Police do not believe the shotgun and rifle were used to kill the Tweed Heads schoolgirl, despite confirming she died from a single gunshot wound.

But it appears it was 2 wounds from the gun.

Could one shot have been aimed at CM in the back from further away - possibly CM had tried to run away??? some kind of disruption leading to this awful outcome?? and then a second shot much closer to her head??? MOO

I just don't know what to believe???

I hope that her mother KM was not involved in her death, but I wonder if she knew of something was going on before she was notified by the police??? MOO

I am trying to work out the significance of the previous stealing of the shotgun and rifle from the neighbours???

Was it a vendetta against those neighbours from long standing feud?? IMO

Appears its not the firearm used in the death of CM.

So what was the plan for those firearms was JS going to do something else ???? JMO

A man accused of killing his fiance's daughter while on a family holiday in the Blue Mountains stole a shotgun and a rifle from a neighbouring property months before she was killed, court documents allege.

Police do not believe the shotgun and rifle were used to kill the Tweed Heads schoolgirl, despite confirming she died from a single gunshot wound.

But it appears it was 2 wounds from the gun.

Could one shot have been aimed at CM in the back from further away - possibly CM had tried to run away??? some kind of disruption leading to this awful outcome?? and then a second shot much closer to her head??? MOO

I just don't know what to believe???

I hope that her mother KM was not involved in her death, but I wonder if she knew of something was going on before she was notified by the police??? MOO
The news article you are quoting from is from 2022. Things seem to have changed since then. Not only the idea that the gun was not the one that killed CM, but also the fact that CM was shot twice and not just once, as the media reported back then.

There seems to be a link with the stolen rifle to CM’s shooting from this news report from yesterday……

“Mr McKay also told the jury he would present evidence the accused and his fiancée had broken into a house at Mount Wilson and stolen two firearms some time prior to the death, one of which he said was "of importance" to the Crown case in the current trial.

He said a hunting rifle scope, purchased online by Mr Stein, "made its way onto the stolen .22 bolt action rifle" and that CCTV cameras had captured the accused purchasing bags of sand, later allegedly used to fill the barrel Charlise's body was found in.”

“The officer asks where CM went two nights ago.

“She was here (the Mount Wilson property)...I wasn’t here my partner was here and during the morning she was really...she was sort of sick, lethargic, and I was two-and-a-half hours away,” Ms M said.”

No wonder she was sick….. with having his schizophrenia medication in her!! Poor little thing!!

“A toxicology report showed CM had tested positive for JS’s schizophrenia medication.”

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trotski24
Back