GUILTY Australia - Terence Darrell Kelly, charged w/ abduction of 4 y.o., WA, 16 Oct 2021 #2

They have revealed the mitigating circumstances ...

However, Kelly received a discount due to his early guilty plea and a diagnosis of “complex personality dysfunction” due to a myriad of mental health problems stemming from a troubled childhood.

“No child in Western Australia … should have suffered what you did as a child,” said Judge Wager in her sentencing remarks, detailing the trauma Kelly suffered growing up with a violent father and both parents abusing substances.

‘Evil crime’: WA’s top cop on the sentencing of Terence Kelly

A bit more detail about TK's disorders .....

In a WAtoday article it says that, as an infant, CPS found alcohol in his baby bottles, and he suffered neurodevelopmental impairment.

He needed to wearing hearing aids, but then he was bullied, so he wouldn't wear them. This made him socially isolated.
He was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, and medicated. His ADHD, bed wetting, and bulky appearance contributed to his alienation at school.

He visited his parents when he was 12 (he was removed from them at 2 years old) and when he returned he was suicidal, and hospitalised.
At that time he was diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder, ADHD, nocturnal enuresis, and bilateral conductive hearing loss.

The court was told that his deficits are due to alcohol spectrum disorder.
One doctor said that “It’s likely that this fantasy world [collecting dolls, wanting to dress CS up and play with her] developed in the context of his early neglect and trauma in childhood as a self-protective mechanism.”

The article I posted in my previous post says he was on meth the night he took CS.

‘Alcohol in his baby bottles’: Terence Kelly’s childhood of ‘chronic, severe and complex’ trauma

I pray they didn't just leave out any SA charges because of her being identified and knowing they had him on the kidnapping. Please please.
I did think this myself too. But given the sentence for child taking, I imagine additional SA charges may have would have bumped that time up and not something to just let go of. Also the judges comment “no truly comparable cases” leads me to believe SA was not involved. And I've just realised how sad is that, MO I'm more likely to believe a child would be taken and SA'd then just taken.

I did think this myself too. But given the sentence for child taking, I imagine additional SA charges may have would have bumped that time up and not something to just let go of. Also the judges comment “no truly comparable cases” leads me to believe SA was not involved. And I've just realised how sad is that, MO I'm more likely to believe a child would be taken and SA'd then just taken.
It is sad but it’s the way of the world; there is usually a nasty motive. It sounds like this man wanted to recreate a childhood playmate. Still sinister, but I wish all kidnappings ended like this one did.

CS's kidnapper Terence Darrell Kelly lodges appeal against jail term

Terence Kelly was jailed last month for 13 years and six months for kidnapping the little girl in a case that made worldwide headlines.

In the appeal documentation, Kelly's lawyer Kate Turtley-Chappel argues Judge Wager "failed to give appropriate weight to the applicant's childhood disadvantage and trauma".

Now, given TK already got a significant reduction in sentence for making an early guilty plea AND for said hard early life, I don't know what he's expecting to achieve, here. I don't know if the court can actually upgrade his sentence back up to the full term for this kind of nonsense, but I wouldn't blame them if they could - and did. The whole point of sentence reduction for early pleas is to reduce the stresses on the victim and their family and the courts. This is the opposite of that.

MOO

Last edited:
Does anyone have an update on Cameron Blaine? I tried to look at an Australian article which appeared to give an update but it was behind a paywall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed a quick advert for ACA advertising an upcoming story as an update on CS complete with photos of CS. Nothing on line yet. I hope whoever is pushing for this has CS interests at heart. For her best interests going forward I would have thought she would have been more protected so as to grow up without the stigma attached to her name and photo. So much is already out there. Why add more now that TK has been convicted

Clearly there was so much about Terence Darrell Kelly’s childhood that was just so awful and wrong. I accept that.

Kelly was removed from his drug-addicted mother at age two and placed with his maternal aunty Penny Walker, who was like a grandmother.

His “brother” or step-brother whom he grew up alongside (they were cared for by the same woman, Penny Walker) went on to kidnap a child also. He was charged and convicted, with both kidnapping and assault. The ‘brother’ died in prison in early March 2023. It was alleged the brother was murdered by another inmate.

Here is a bit about the brother’s offending:

A nine-year-old girl was allegedly kidnapped from a park and assaulted at a nearby home in Perth's northern suburbs on Tuesday.

9News can reveal the accused abductor is Ashley James Bropho, the step-brother of Terence Kelly, who is awaiting punishment for snatching Cleo Smith.

Bropho allegedly lured a child from the Jackson Wilding Reserve park at 10.30am on Tuesday, before she was taken on a seven-minute walk to her accused abductor's home on Sackville Terrace in Doubleview. Accused Perth kidnapper revealed as step-brother of Cleo Smith abductor

Amongst many things that were appalling about the crime committed by Kelly, I find it disgusting that TDK “friended” the mother of CS Ellie on Facebook whilst the entire State of Western Australia was out searching for her daughter and he had her locked in the room in his house.

Kelly befriended Cleo’s mother Ellie Smith on Facebook after taking the girl. Terence Kelly jailed for abducting Cleo Smith as court told of family’s ‘immeasurable’ distress

What kind of person would think this was ok? He was obviously very aware of how much her family wanted her back and were desperate to find her.

Wager said that Kelly’s had received a 25%, or five-year, sentence reduction from the maximum 20-year penalty for child stealing because of his early guilty plea, which averted a lengthy trial and the family having to relive the ordeal.
As far as I can see, the only decent thing the convicted perpetrator has done is plead guilty, which saved the victim and her family a lengthy and stressful trial.

All IMO.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed for using name of minor child CS>

Wtf what a spin out hey to read about the step-brother kidnapping a girl as well.

Goodness gracious I wonder how thickens the plot?

Just noticed a quick advert for ACA advertising an upcoming story as an update on CS complete with photos of CS. Nothing on line yet. I hope whoever is pushing for this has CS interests at heart. For her best interests going forward I would have thought she would have been more protected so as to grow up without the stigma attached to her name and photo. So much is already out there. Why add more now that TK has been convicted
I was under impression this brave young girl's parents were only doing that one interview for money which I thought was fine by the way and no more. I think it would have been best to not do an update except for maybe a brief statement through lawyer in order to keep things out of public eye for CS and entire family. IMO

I was under impression this brave young girl's parents were only doing that one interview for money which I thought was fine by the way and no more. I think it would have been best to not do an update except for maybe a brief statement through lawyer in order to keep things out of public eye for CS and entire family. IMO
Maybe they are getting on the front foot PR-wise as TDK is appealing his custodial sentence? BTW I don’t think they ever did buy that motorhome they spoke of. Wishing Ellie and her family all the best for their future. All MOO.

Update: CS’s mum and her partner get married in Noosa, Queensland.

from: https://www.couriermail.com.au/life...g/news-story/ff569d2086a0934dd0c2ab2a8cb5e82a

The mother of CS, the four-year-old who was abducted during a family camping trip in WA, has tied the knot with her long-time partner in a stunning destination wedding.
Ellie Smith and Jake Gliddon were wed in a private ceremony in Noosa, in which C and her little sister I were bridesmaids.

“C was just excited to wear a pretty spinning dress and walk down the aisle with her aunty Krystal,” Ms Smith told 60 Minutes.

I feel like we're all being pranked here by this lawyer

Dude only gets 13 years - a very lenient sentence

Lawyer is being paid by the tax payer to APPEAL his lenient sentence

What a shark she must be

Just my opinion

I feel like we're all being pranked here by this lawyer

Dude only gets 13 years - a very lenient sentence

Lawyer is being paid by the tax payer to APPEAL his lenient sentence

What a shark she must be

Just my opinion
What’s to say he’s not going to snatch another little girl when he gets out?

Can the judge extend the sentence on appeal?

What’s to say he’s not going to snatch another little girl when he gets out?

Can the judge extend the sentence on appeal?
Gosh I hope so

Maybe his lawyer is secretly appealing becaus she thinks he got too lenient a sentence too?

I mean didn't he basically win the lottery? At least a small divison

Gosh I hope so

Maybe his lawyer is secretly appealing becaus she thinks he got too lenient a sentence too?

I mean didn't he basically win the lottery? At least a small divison

The real question is whether or not his victim will ever feel safe, knowing her kidnapper will be set free in 13 years. Did he only get 13 years because he didn't kill her? Like a "reward"?

The real question is whether or not his victim will ever feel safe, knowing her kidnapper will be set free in 13 years. Did he only get 13 years because he didn't kill her? Like a "reward"?
Possibly
I mean I guess maybe that could work as a deterrent to killing victims, which I guess would be good?
I dunno

Are some of his crimes secret to protect the victims privacy? Because if he committed sex crimes and only got 13 years that seems really f*#&ed up

I'm concerned about all the arguments the lawyer has made, but im very concerned about this part:

Ms Condon argued that the sentencing judge failed to apply the Bugmy Principles, which mean that social factors such as Aboriginality and social deprivation must be given 'full weight in the determination of the appropriate sentence in every case'.

So if you're aboriginal you should be punished less because you're aboriginal?!

It reminds me of various previous travesties. Just a few of them:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko