Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't really see how it adds to the conversation. Unless we're talking motive, as in his religion somehow motivated him. Other than that I just see comments like daily attendants to Mass are "fanatical", somehow the Priest had a motive in his words which were probably just observations, and speculation on Confession and Sacrement. Again, not trying to be rude at all. And this is just my opinion.

At this point we don't know any motivations. We know he was of a devout Catholic family, he seemed to be getting involved with an anti-homosexuality group(s) according to his social media and from first and second accounts of school friends he was either homosexual or fighting those tendencies.

So I honestly think since there is very little facts except above everything is speculation at this point.

Could his religion motivate him to not only reject his own tendencies but that of others? I think the answer is yes, the Church as many other religions reject homosexuality. So I imagine if one had those tendencies and were told they were wrong by Church and devout family members that yeah that could be a motive. We don't know. It could be and it may not be. This is a sleuthing site so I can see others coming up with those thoughts just as much as any other speculation I guess. Until the facts come out at trial we don't know much other than above.

Your opinion is just a valid as the next persons. I often have different opinions as well and have to agree to disagree many times:). I also have to admit when I'm wrong too:).

ETA: I don't read this as anti Catholics as many Catholics are on here. I think its a discussion about how religion (any religion) may have an influence on how someone behaves. Discussions go back and forth and that's how we learn about each other.

I think his religious upbringing probably had a lot to do with how hateful he felt about his same sex attractions and contributed to his anger. Stabbing someone 22 times is intense hatred and rage. It speaks towards motive imo.

A Catholic upbringing would not and does not teach one to feel hateful and angry about same sex attraction.

Is the suspect in this murder gay ? Does anyone know?

I am all for other theories.

Mine is his upbringing and budding homosexuality caused him to lash out at BB when SW feared he would be exposed further as a homosexual. Living in a family that is so devout and going years preaching anti-homosexuality himself put him in a place where he would panic.

Divisive subject? It literally states it in the catholic.com description. Its a fact that christianity historically has not been kind to homosexuals. Conversion camps exist for that sole purpose

doesnt say or encourage to stab a homosexual over 20 times. IF Religion contributed to the motive, it was a warped and sick interpretation. IMO

Is the suspect in this murder gay ? Does anyone know?

I was gonna type it all out but dont want to bring rumor in, but if you google it there are a number of first hand accounts to him being openly anti-gay, but still hooking up and sexting classmates who were out.

doesnt say or encourage to stab a homosexual over 20 times. IF Religion contributed to the motive, it was a warped and sick interpretation. IMO

That part is on him 100% but the pressure to be what his religion says he should be when he isnt can make him panic imo.

A Catholic upbringing would not and does not teach one to feel hateful and angry about same sex attraction.

From catholic.com

Every human being is called to receive a gift of divine sonship, to become a child of God by grace. However, to receive this gift, we must reject sin, including homosexual behavior—that is, acts intended to arouse or stimulate a sexual response regarding a person of the same sex. The Catholic Church teaches that such acts are always violations of divine and natural law.

I was gonna type it all out but dont want to bring rumor in, but if you google it there are a number of first hand accounts to him being openly anti-gay, but still hooking up and sexting classmates who were out.

Wow, it sounds a bit weird. I bet it will be an interesting trial as far as motive is concerned.

Wow, it sounds a bit weird. I bet it will be an interesting trial as far as motive is concerned.

Definitly look up those accounts, adds a different perspective to this whole thing

Any actual theories based on what we know on what actually happened that night? Other than speculation on Catholicism, Confession, Sacrament, and the Priest? Not trying to sound rude at all.

I don't think that what SW said about meeting to catch up is true. I think that it was more of a meeting to hook up and something happened during.....an argument of some sort. Blaze said something that set SW off maybe. I know when I was that age and would be with a friend who hadn't come out yet the conversations about coming out could get intense really quickly. Feelings got hurt easily. I think years of denying what he is took its toll on SW. It sounds like he grew up in a super religious family too. That would make things even worse if he felt like being gay was going against the church in some way. If all those posts on SW's social media were really his he's definitely overcompensating. It's almost like he thought he could force himself to be straight.
Just my opinion of course.

Before the inquisition flames me I also want to make clear I am not blaming Blaze for what happened. I'm just giving my opinion using what we know and filtering it through my own personal experience with how hard it can be to admit you're gay when you're a teenager. It can mess you up especially if you don't have much of a support network and it sounds like SW didn't have much that...at least from what I've read.

I don't think that what SW said about meeting to catch up is true. I think that it was more of a meeting to hook up and something happened during.....an argument of some sort. Blaze said something that set SW off maybe. I know when I was that age and would be with a friend who hadn't come out yet the conversations about coming out could get intense really quickly. Feelings got hurt easily. I think years of denying what he is took its toll on SW. It sounds like he grew up in a super religious family too. That would make things even worse if he felt like being gay was going against the church in some way. If all those posts on SW's social media were really his he's definitely overcompensating. It's almost like he thought he could force himself to be straight.

Before the inquisition flames me I also want to make clear I am not blaming Blaze for what happened. I'm just giving my opinion using what we know and filtering it through my own personal experience with how hard it can be to admit you're gay when you're a teenager. It can mess you up especially if you don't have much of a support network and it sounds like SW didn't have much that...at least from what I've read.

Very well put. I agree.

No religion at its core teaches hate. My religion I was raised in taught "love the person, hate the act" regarding homosexuality. A gay person if acted on their desires were excommunicated and no longer allowed to talk to their own family members still in the religion.

Can you imagine not being able to talk to your family member just because you are attracted to or love a consenting adult? Can you imagine what its like to hate your own body because you think you are rejected by God (taught that in many religions)?

This isn't about Catholics at all. It's about a person who for reasons we don't know was seemly confused sexually and for some reason went off the deep end. We don't know why. We are speculating at this point could his certain people in his life taken things to an extreme and applied religious doctrines to the extreme? We know this happens in all religions:( Could it have happened here? Maybe but also maybe not!

Mods I hope you keep these posts and threads up because this is an important discussion that leads to people of all different types of background begin to understand each other. Extreme people in all walks of life.

I don't think one person here is blaming Catholic religion. But perhaps some skewed beliefs based upon religion. Does that make sense?

No religion at its core teaches hate. My religion I was raised in taught "love the person, hate the act" regarding homosexuality. A gay person if acted on their desires were excommunicated and no longer allowed to talk to their own family members still in the religion.

Can you imagine not being able to talk to your family member just because you are attracted to or love a consenting adult? Can you imagine what its like to hate your own body because you think you are rejected by God (taught that in many religions)?

This isn't about Catholics at all. It's about a person who for reasons we don't know was seemly confused sexually and for some reason went off the deep end. We don't know why. We are speculating at this point could his certain people in his life taken things to an extreme and applied religious doctrines to the extreme? We know this happens in all religions:( Could it have happened here? Maybe but also maybe not!

Mods I hope you keep these posts and threads up because this is an important discussion that leads to people of all different types of background begin to understand each other. Extreme people in all walks of life.

I don't think one person here is blaming Catholic religion. But perhaps some skewed beliefs based upon religion. Does that make sense?

:drumroll:

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

No worries to those who have just expressed the concern for discussing religion. What we are discussing here is not from that angle at all so please hang tight. It’s not doctrine, this view or that view, etc. This is purely about the peculiarities of the comments made by SW, the attorney and the priest.

Why are we sleuthing the priest?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We aren’t, we are discussing the comments and the nature of his friendship with the family, as per the reports.

I've been thinking about your post quite a bit since my initial response to it, and I think I owe you an apology. You worded this well, and it really DOES make a lot of sense.

The comments made to the media by SW's mother probably did irritate Blaze's parents for the very reason you described here.

I'm still thinking that SW's mother didn't think of her remarks from that angle at all, but it would have been best if she had.

This kind of stress though may have shut down much of her intuitive thought processes.

Just wanted you to know that I did change my mind about your post, and I'm sorry for disregarding it so quickly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

JMO

No need to apologize Jazz, you look at things from a different perspective. I'm putting myself in Blaze's family's position here (because I have a gay brother.) So I know *I* would be infuriated if the killer's mother (who I had zero relationship with) spoke for my family.

However, we don't know if the Bernsteins really care that much. Maybe it doesn't bother them. It more bothered me that Sam's Mom thought she had the right to say it at all. It just struck me as so presumptuous and pompous. That's just my prior experiences shaping my opinion though and it's probably unfair to Sam's family to assign that to them.

Sam's Mom strikes me as quite angry. Understandable of course. I can't imagine being upright and coherent in her situation. So I have no room to judge her.

Personally, I think that if SW didn't seem to have a problem stabbing someone else to death and hiding the body, he wouldn't have a problem taking communion without going to confession first, regardless of how it's suppose to work.

Absolutely true. Once you've committed murder I don't think you are too worried about breaking other laws or rules of society or religion.

No need to apologize Jazz, you look at things from a different perspective. I'm putting myself in Blaze's family's position here (because I have a gay brother.) So I know *I* would be infuriated if the killer's mother (who I had zero relationship with) spoke for my family.

However, we don't know if the Bernsteins really care that much. Maybe it doesn't bother them. It more bothered me that Sam's Mom thought she had the right to say it at all. It just struck me as so presumptuous and pompous. That's just my prior experiences shaping my opinion though and it's probably unfair to Sam's family to assign that to them.

Sam's Mom strikes me as quite angry. Understandable of course. I can't imagine being upright and coherent in her situation. So I have no room to judge her.

Absolutely true. Once you've committed murder I don't think you are too worried about breaking other laws or rules of society or religion.

Thank you for explaining this so well. I hear what you're saying, and it really has made an impact on me.

I was so keyed in and focused on my own view of it that I really wasn't listening very well the first time you replied.

You've given me a different perspective though, and I've learned from what you've written.

Thank you again for taking the time to do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner