CA - Jahi Turner, 2, San Diego, 25 April 2002

Controversial Evidence in Disappearance of 2-Year-Old Might Be Shown to Jury

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Controversial-Evidence-in-Disappearance-of-2-Year-Old-Might-Be-Shown-to-Jury-465558563.html

At a pre-trial hearing Wednesday, prosecutors revealed that DNA evidence found on Jahi’s pajama bottoms could be consistent with Jones’s semen.

Prosecutors argued that the jury should be informed of that finding, and be allowed to consider the possibility that Jahi was the victim of “some kind of sexual assault” by his step-father, and the possibility that Jones killed the boy to cover-up such an assault.

The defense strongly objected to the possible use of that DNA evidence in the trial, describing it as extremely speculative and inflammatory.

Trial is currently scheduled to begin on January 25th.

From 'missing' to 'murder,' stepfather facing trial in Jahi Turner disappearance

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-jahi-murder-180201-story.html

Investigators believed almost from the start that the boisterous 2-year-old was killed by his stepfather, Tieray Jones, and thrown in the trash. Jones was the one who reported Jahi missing, telling police the toddler had disappeared during a trip to a neighborhood park.

Jahi’s body was never found, but Jones is going on trial, charged with the child’s murder.

Opening statements are expected to begin in San Diego Superior Court on Thursday for the trial that could last until the end of March.

Opening Statements: Prosecutor Hints Missing Toddler’s Body Dumped in Trash Bin by Stepfather

A 2-year-old boy who was reported missing by his stepfather in San Diego in 2002 suffered a fatal injury and died while in the sole custody and care of the stepfather, who disposed of the body, a prosecutor said Thursday, but a defense attorney said her client loved the child and didn’t kill him.

Tieray Jones, 39, told police that Jahi Turner disappeared from a park near the southern end of Balboa Park the afternoon of April 25, 2002.

Deputy District Attorney Bill Mitchell told a jury that Jones married Jahi’s mother — Tameka Jones — after Jahi was born and the couple moved to San Diego from Maryland in February 2002.

The defendant was left to care for Jahi when Tameka Jones — who was in the Navy — went out to sea on April 22, 2002, the prosecutor said.
Three days later, the defendant called 911 and said his stepson disappeared in the park when the defendant walked to a vending machine.
“We will piece together what happened that week,” Mitchell told the jury. “You’re gonna know what happened to Jahi based on the evidence.”
Two days before he reported the child missing, Jones told his wife that Jahi had fallen off the bed and bumped his head, but it was “no big deal,” the prosecutor said. Jones also complained that Jahi had wet the bed, according to Mitchell.
Witnesses at the apartment complex where Jones lived said they saw the defendant carrying three large trash bags to a Dumpster just before the trash was to be picked up the day before the child disappeared, the prosecutor told the jury.
https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...dlers-body-dumped-in-trash-bin-by-stepfather/

Mother takes the stand in trial on toddler’s murder

Prosecutors say that in a recorded phone call with Jahi's mother, Tameka Jones, Tieray admitted that he was responsible for the child's death.

In court, Tameka talked about the moment she decided to work with police to place the call to her ex-husband in 2015. "I was told to kind of ask about that day, but not what to say," she explained.

Neighbor of Tieray Jones Testifies She Saw Him Take Bags to Dumpster

A former neighbor of accused killer Tieray Jones said she saw Jones carry three large black trash bags to a dumpster in the week Jones reported his step-son missing.

Higgins told the jury the trash bags were full. She said she could see Jones walking down the stairs, from his apartment, and that he also saw her.

“He just looked, and glanced and me, and looked away really quickly, almost like an awkward (kind of) eye contact,” Higgins told the jury.

Jahi Turner’s grandma testifies in murder trial

Jahi’s grandmother Penny Thompson testified that Jahi was shy and wasn't good around strangers.

Knowing Jahi, Thompson was asked what the child would have done if he were left at the machine.

“He would cry… he would try to follow," Thompson said adding that he would not have stayed put."He wouldn’t go to them. He wouldn’t be around them."

Jurors learned new evidence in the trial of Tieray Jones Monday, about the disappearance of his step-son more than a decade ago in Golden Hill.

Jones claimed Jahi Turner, then 2 years-old, walked away-–or was taken–-from a Golden Hill playground while he walked to a vending machine.

But several witnesses who were at the playground testified they never saw the toddler and did not see Jones look for him or call out Turner's name.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...-Ongoing-Trial-of-Tieray-Jones-475224443.html

Small Victory For Defense in Trial of Man Accused in Death of Toddler Jahi Turner

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Small-Victory-For-Defense-in-Trial-of-Man-Accused-in-Death-of-Toddler-Jahi-Turner-475715743.html

Judge Joan Weber dismissed a felony child abuse charge against Tieray Jones, who is accused of killing his 2-year-old step-son in 2002, or failing to report a fatal accident that led to his death.

Judge Weber told the prosecution team she has long harbored doubts about the felony child abuse count.

Prosecutors have a "laboring oar" on that issue, said Judge Weber, who noted the lack of "substantial physical evidence" to support the child abuse charge.

Jury deadlocks in murder trial of stepfather accused of killing 2-year-old Jahi Turner

Turner's stepfather, Tieray Jones, 39, was facing second-degree murder charges after the 2-year-old went missing 16 years ago.

A status conference is scheduled for Wednesday to map out the next steps in the case.

http://abc7.com/mistrial-declared-in-jahi-turner-murder-case/3225743/

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2018/03/16/mistrial-declared-in-16-year-old-murder-of-toddler-jahi-turner/

A jury foreman told Judge Joan Weber that jurors were deadlocked 2-10 – – two for guilty and 10 for not guilty — on second-degree murder. Jurors were also deadlocked 10-2 — 10 for guilty and two for not guilty — on a lesser included offense of involuntary manslaughter.

“I’m sorry that the jury couldn’t come to a verdict in this case,” the jury foreman said outside court. “I apologize to Tameka (Jahi’s mother).”

Tramane Sampson, Jahi’s biological father, told reporters he was “frustrated” that the jury couldn’t come to a decision.

Sampson said he was sure Jones was responsible for his son’s death. Sampson said he saw “guilt” when he observed Jones in the courtroom.

No retrial for stepdad in Jahi Turner murder mistrial

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-jones-mistrial-20180321-story.html

Prosecutors cannot try Tieray Jones a second time on a charge of murdering his stepson, Jahi Turner, in 2002, a San Diego Superior Court judge ruled Wednesday.

The judge said there is little likelihood that new evidence or new witnesses could be found that would persuade 12 jurors to convict Jones.

“It saddens me to my core to say this,” Judge Joan Weber said. “I would want nothing more than a definitive answer to what happened to (Jahi) that week of 2002.

“Tragically, the criminal justice system is not always equipped to give an answer. I find there never will be an answer.”

April 2018:

Frederick family comes to terms with mistrial in toddler's killing
Jahi Turner’s family will never have closure.

They will always wonder what kind of man the 2-year-old could have grown to be if he hadn’t been stolen from their lives 16 years ago. They will likely never see anyone convicted of killing him or find his remains. But they will never forget the joy Jahi brought into their lives in his short time with them. They will continue to honor his memory and will keep teaching new generations about the cousin and the uncle they will never meet.

In 2016, the family was handed a glimmer of hope in their quest for justice and closure in the child’s disappearance when his stepfather, Tieray Jones, was charged with murder in Jahi’s death. That hope was shattered last month when a San Diego Superior Court judge declared a mistrial in Jones’ case and told prosecutors they couldn’t retry the charges against him.

“When I found out ... I actually fell on my knees and I prayed to God,” Naylor-Everson said. “Tieray, he thinks it’s over. The judge might of have said it’s over. But God hasn’t said that. It’s not over.”

NOV 15, 2020
Jahi Turner was 2 when he vanished in San Diego in 2002. His mother still searches for answers
For more than a decade, Tameka Jones held onto the idea — a fantasy, really — that her son would come home one day.

[...]

“It wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I felt like I was not going to just implode, fall apart,” said Jones, during an interview at her home in Baltimore, a year after the jury did not reach verdicts in the high-profile case. “And even now it’s a teetering edge. Every day is more of a struggle.

[...]

Jahi Turner, in an undated family photo
(Courtesy of Turner’s grandmother, Penny Thompson)

[...]

“What do you mean you can’t find Jahi? Where is he at?”

Jones’ husband told her he had turned his back on Jahi just briefly, and the boy was gone. He said police were at their Beech Street apartment in the Golden Hill neighborhood of San Diego, and that they had begun a search.

Jones remembers screaming: “Where is my baby? WHERE IS MY BABY?!”

[...]

Tieray Jones, then 23, told her and police that he had walked the toddler to a neighborhood park earlier that day. He told her Jahi asked for his sippy cup, so Jones walked to a vending machine to get the child something to drink. He remembered a woman in the park with children not too far away from them.

“He was like, ‘I just turned my back for a second.’”

[...]

San Diego police officers sift through trash at the Miramar Landfill on Tuesday, April 30, 2002, in search of clues in the disappearance 2-year-old Jahi Turner. (K.C. Alfred / The San Diego Union-Tribune)

Six days after the search began, the couple appeared at a news conference in San Diego, pleading for Jahi’s safe return. Meantime, officers were combing through tons of trash in a city landfill.

[...]

In July 2015, the investigators flew Jones to San Diego to introduce her to Mitchell and the others working on the case, and to show her some of the evidence.

[...]

Parga took Jones back to the apartment complex on Beech Street, where police had gone back recently to dig in the canyons behind it for clues. They took her to the police station where Mitchell told her unequivocally that investigators believed Jahi was dead and that her ex-husband was responsible.

[...]

This was a turning point for Jones. She had been holding on to the belief that Jahi was alive somewhere. And now that belief was shattered.

[...]

For the first time in 13 years, Jones read a journal she and Tieray had kept in those early months of their marriage. There were entries she had never seen, written after she had deployed on the Rushmore.

Some talked about Jahi wetting the bed and getting a bump on his head. One entry, dated April 23, 2002, read:

Today for some reason he hasn’t been moving or really talking. Jahi is starting to act really funny he won’t get up off the floor. He’s not walking or talking when I tell him to get his cup he just looks at me.

I know it’s going to take some time. But I don’t want him hating me for something I can’t control. The bump on his head has gone down I put ice on it. It’s gotten a little red

[...]

Looking back on those journal entries, Jones said she now realizes they don’t sound authentic. They seemed “staged.”

[...]

Working with prosecutors, Jones identified items found in a Dumpster near the Golden Hill apartment, confirming they had belonged to Jahi. And she told them Tieray had no money when she left for the Rushmore. She used all they had to stock the apartment with food.

[...]

“(Jahi) had come out here from Maryland with his bag of animal cookies, and they were uneaten,” said Nicole Rooney, a child abuse prosecutor, who worked the case with Bill Mitchell. “And he loved those. So there was not enough food gone from the house. There was no evidence that he’d been living there that entire time.

[...]

Tieray Jones, then 37, was arrested in North Carolina in April 2016.

He was charged with murder.

[...]

In the end, 12 jurors deadlocked, unable to agree on whether he was guilty of second-degree murder.

[...]

A few days later, San Diego Superior Court Judge Joan Weber ruled there would be no retrial, noting that a few drops of Jahi’s blood on a blanket and the writings in the journal weren’t particularly strong evidence of murder. The judge said it was unlikely that new evidence or new witnesses could be found that would persuade a jury to convict.

[...]

For now, all there is to do is move forward, to keep working on herself and nurturing the positive relationships in her life. She recently launched a consulting business in human resources, and plans to start a foundation in Jahi’s name to provide resources to teen mothers — to let them know “that’s not the end of it.”

“You can still do what you set out to do even though you had a child at a young age,” she said.

Most of all, she tries to be a good mother to her now 17-year-old son. The one who never got to know Jahi.

[...]

“I don’t care if it takes another 18 years,” she said. “but I am always going to continue to fight for the truth of my son.”

In the end, the stepfather was never sentenced or convicted, a violent drug addict and ex-convict for other murder and drug cases... sick guy... I feel like his mother didn't want to hear from her son because how could he trust such an unstable person? the safety and life of his son... the biological father is another trash guy who never took charge, he wasn't part of the child's life either... maybe his mother was thinking about it a long time before...
whatever little boy rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back