Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

There are some cases here involving a "Mary Jones" who is a nurse. Absolutely no idea if this is Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones. Also no idea how to see the appellant court documents, or locate the original case to have a DOB. Sigh.

<modsnip>

(Shrugs shoulders)

Last edited by a moderator:

There are some cases here involving a "Mary Jones" who is a nurse. Absolutely no idea if this is Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones. Also no idea how to see the appellant court documents, or locate the original case to have a DOB. Sigh.

And this, but while sometimes information about others sheds light on the cases we follow, we do not sleuth family members:

(Shrugs shoulders)
This site puts Mary at the same previous address as JJ from the link you posted "truepeoplesearch".
<modsnip>
Granted, not all info posted on these types of sites are accurate.

Mary M Jones - San Diego, CA (619)582-9922 - Public Record

SmartBackgroundChecks
https://www.smartbackgroundchecks.com › people

Mary M Jones is living on 17165 W Bernardo Dr in San Diego,CA. (619)582-9922 Full address, phone, email history available - SmartBackgroundChecks.

@Izzylizzy , yup. Some people might wonder about a child or step-child as well as a spouse.

Confident that LE found those tidbits.

Do you (does anyone) have access to California records databases?

Newspaper social pages in the early 2010's in San Diego?

Kaiser employee newsletters?

Guess what, I don't like to be 'stuck.' o_O

jmho ymmv lrr

:confused:

'Caregiver' moved into the house, then took over? If so, RH is fortunate imho.

Old genealogist here, agree completely with the 1942/43 birth year. Cough cough. The surname Jones is no picnic. There are more Haxbys than I expected.

I wonder if our Mary Margaret Haxby was British?

In my usual sources -- there is basically just death information. imho there should be more!

Worker at Kaiser as a medical professional -- anyone have access to professional licensing in California? IF we could figure out if the deceased was a physician, a nurse, a physical therapist -- that might lead us to more information.

@LotsaLatte , calling a very skilled genealogist to the fray and we have others. Please call any that could help us.

@gitana1 , California family law attorney. Where else should we be looking?

@Tink56 iirc this is local?

jmho ymmv lrr
I’m not immediately seeing anything but Mary Jones…. Oi vey…

New Story. Nothing New. Out-of-town family members find dead body in home freezer

One of the stories did say the freezer was inside the house.

However, this is the most decidedly "not going there" lack of coverage - even at Christmas - I've ever seen for an event.

48 hours - or close. NO! Bad math. Closer to 72 hours. Body reported before noon on Friday. 24 hours on Saturday, 48 and Sunday and 72 NOW -- Noon Monday or close now. Camera crew(s) has been out and talked to at least two neighbors.

Did no one think to ask if anyone was known to live in the house?
When the out-of-town guests showed up, was everyone accounted for?

Or had Aunt Sally vanished and it's possible the woman in the freezer will be Aunt Sally? Or do they have one body and 4 missing?

Maybe no one had lived in the house for years, since the owner died and was sensibly buried. Relatives had come into town to decide what to do with the property and discovered this nightmarish mystery. Body could be anyone from anywhere. Person stashing it had only to know the house was empty.

But, hey San Diego journalists -- even a young and inexperienced Nancy Drew would have uncovered more in this time than YOU have. No hungry journalists in San Diego? How about California? Why is the coverage on this so lacking? It has the possibilities of developing into a massive story - or fizzling completely. But you won't know 'til you dig in.

Feels like an Episode of FARGO.

I'm curious if the out-of-towners were at the property by themselves, or if the homeowner was on-site.

And if they were there, would you first confront your relative, or would you just secretly call the police?

I wouldn't CONFRONT anyone...leave ASAP and call the police as driving away from the house.

Believe it or not, I was a mini sleuth at that age! We had/have many unsolved murders in my hometown and I remember one story in particular they would publish about a young girl, I memorized her image bc I thought I could solve it!

Also, my grandparents bought meat at the butcher and I think I just conjured a lot from my imagination... or maybe I was onto something ?? The butchers were always in rural areas on the outskirts, in between jurisdictions now that I'm thinking on it. We lived in Ontario, in the same areas where Bruce MacArthur grew up :confused:

You are bringing up fond/strange childhood memories for me too! My grandparents house was a very large rambling house in Ohio, with secret cutouts in the floorboards, and a ricketly staircase down into the dirt floor basement. If I ever OPENED that basement door, my grandfather would scream out at me. I always felt there were horrific things down there.
Later in life, my mother would suggest he was just concerned about us kids on that old staircase, or getting hurt in some way.
I still don't believe that. There is more to that secret dirt floor basement.

In summary, the woman whose body was found would be 81 years old today and went by Mary Jones and Mary Haxby-Jones. She’s on the title of the property where her body was found.
Robert Haxby <modsnip> lives at the house, and was previously on the title too.
So he’s got to be her brother (and at some point she married a Mr Jones) or he was married to her.
Presumably the visiting relatives are his relatives. If he’s her brother then they’re her relatives too.
Since the relatives are not talking I’m going to guess dementia and confusion are factors in this case.

This site puts Mary at the same previous address as JJ from the link you posted "truepeoplesearch".
<modsnip>
Granted, not all info posted on these types of sites are accurate.

Mary M Jones - San Diego, CA (619)582-9922 - Public Record

SmartBackgroundChecks
https://www.smartbackgroundchecks.com › people

Mary M Jones is living on 17165 W Bernardo Dr in San Diego,CA. (619)582-9922 Full address, phone, email history available - SmartBackgroundChecks.
FWIW, the January 1970 dates within the link above (they're all the same) may be a case of the Unix epoch date of 1/1/70 stepping in as a placeholder because the actual start date is unknown.
MOO

I don't find it that unusual that they wouldn't notice or remember.

There's a neighbor at the bottom of our hill that I haven't seen in ages. I have seen his car coming home late a time or two, but I couldn't actually swear he was driving it because he pulls directly into the garage. I see lights on at his house and the yard is taken care of. The last time our paths did cross face to face was early in the pandemic when we shouted briefly across the street to make sure we weren't getting too close to each other. He has a daughter but I haven't seen her in years; I think she might have been home for Christmas three years ago, maybe? He says she got a job in Memphis after graduation.

I'm starting to think I should make some kind of excuse to check on him.
Love this response. I’m in the CSI program right now at a university & one thing I have drilled into my mind is the intensity/wording of questioning and talking to witnesses. It’s very very possible she has no general time frame. When pushed further— she could go with her best guess which hey is better than no answer right? Wrong— let’s she feels pressure and somewhat confident in an answer like 5 years ago. Then we begin to ask what was Mary wearing? What was her demeanor or behavioral traits five years ago when she saw her?

The neighbors entire conversation at that given answer could have been confirmation bias inevitably humans practice this, and every day life unknowingly. Not saying the neighbors statement could be useful or important, but I think it’s crucial to understanding the implications of reliability and validity of witness responses.

'Caregiver' moved into the house, then took over? If so, RH is fortunate imho.

Old genealogist here, agree completely with the 1942/43 birth year. Cough cough. The surname Jones is no picnic. There are more Haxbys than I expected.

I wonder if our Mary Margaret Haxby was British?

In my usual sources -- there is basically just death information. imho there should be more!

Worker at Kaiser as a medical professional -- anyone have access to professional licensing in California? IF we could figure out if the deceased was a physician, a nurse, a physical therapist -- that might lead us to more information.

@LotsaLatte , calling a very skilled genealogist to the fray and we have others. Please call any that could help us.

@gitana1 , California family law attorney. Where else should we be looking?

@Tink56 iirc this is local?

jmho ymmv lrr
Good to contact them!

Maybe her family wanted the house so disposed of her :( and took over the property. just a thought.
Freezer discoveries are usually the hiding of a murder victim or freeze the deceased body for continued cash...$$$ motive, SS cks. bank account access etc.

Actually, it could be a combo of both reasons.

We need to be careful here about violating the privacy of people who aren't in any way involved in this case. Speculation based on frequently inaccurate background check sites can do real harm, and not everybody who reads this thread is going to be as ethical as we usually are at websleuths.

We need to be careful here about violating the privacy of people who aren't in any way involved in this case. Speculation based on frequently inaccurate background check sites can do real harm, and not everybody who reads this thread is going to be as ethical as we usually are at websleuths.
Agreed. When people-search sites say "may be related to" it often smply means they used the same address, but that could be years before or after the person of interest.

Bizarrely, this even applies when the address is a PO Box! I learned this from personal experience when searching myself once, to see how accurate they are or aren't. I live where there is no residential mail delivery and everyone has a PO Box. The people who had my box number prior to me were listed as possible relatives!

IMO and IME

WS does NOT allow the personal information of private individuals and families being used on the public threads unless it is the name of a victim or a POI.

For all other private individuals, use their initials only and provide a link. For example, if you find what you believe is a connection at Ancestry use "it seems ABC had an uncle YZ ..." and provide the link to the source page. That way, the name of the private individual is not coming up in Google Search as being found directly on a true crime sleuthing site. You may discuss via PM and that information will never crop up in a Google search.

Agreed. When people-search sites say "may be related to" it often smply means they used the same address, but that could be years before or after the person of interest.

Bizarrely, this even applies when the address is a PO Box! I learned this from personal experience when searching myself once, to see how accurate they are or aren't. I live where there is no residential mail delivery and everyone has a PO Box. The people who had my box number prior to me were listed as possible relatives!

IMO and IME
Yes! This! I ran one of these searches (Fast people search) on myself and a bunch of names came up that I didn’t even recognize as “possible associates”. The only name I did recognize was a thief who listed my phone number as his own when he bought items on credit and never paid for them. Took years for his creditors to stop calling me. Never met the guy but somehow now on these sites now he’s listed with me.

Yes! This! I ran one of these searches (Fast people search) on myself and a bunch of names came up that I didn’t even recognize as “possible associates”. The only name I did recognize was a thief who listed my phone number as his own when he bought items on credit and never paid for them. Took years for his creditors to stop calling me. Never met the guy but somehow now on these sites now he’s listed with me.

Boy that sucks! Pardon my French...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D4rckfire
Back