CA CA - Wineville Chicken Coop Murders/Disappearances, 1928-1930

was it even possible to have an unlisted number back then?

Well, she did work for the phone company and had so many sympathetic friends and fellow employees. IF at all possible to have an unlisted number I'm sure they would have made it possible. Remember, back then having an unpublished number just meant it wasn't listed in the phone book. They didn't have computers or any was of looking up phone numbers.

well, I am not so sure the movie was all that factual. It did do a good job. I did research into this and pulled up a link that has all the newspaper documents from this case. I did see Christine's DOD, somewhere.
But the land the farm was on-what is there now? can it be dug up for bodies?

I know you posted this a while back but there has been recent talk about demolitioning the old Wineville House. They did get rid of the chicken coops. So, if and before they decide what to do with this house, I went by and took pictures. (When people hear about the history, they want nothing to do with property).

0601121109-00.jpg

0601121108-01.jpg

Even tho I have moved on thinking about that poor woman and the travesty that visited her, I appreciate you sending me the pics. Man, I can only imagine how horrific it must have been being at that place, YUK! makes me sick to even think of it. Anyway GOd Bless all that suffered in that evil house(s) take care, annie :)

I found this article today, re Sanford and Flacco's book. I sure would like to read that..

http://www2.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_11283393

I am really glad Sanford Clark went on to have an upstanding life, and be a good dad to his adopted kids. How sad, though - he adopted, because he believed his family blood was too dangerous to pass on to another generation.

Sounds like his wife had a good head on her shoulders, and a good heart too. I don't believe Sanford would have survived the pain and guilt he carried without her.

Best of all possible outcomes, there.

I was particularly touched by this:

At the Whittier State School, she said the boys were placed in cottages with a house mother or father or both. They learned skills like tailoring, cooking, gardening and woodworking so they could earn their keep as adults.

The whole idea was rehabilitation. Not all the boys at the place had criminal records. She said some were too old to be adopted or their parents could not take care of them.

"This was such a unique facility," she said.

Hilliard said bragging about past criminal behavior was not allowed.

"I know boys were told that was your life before. They were now part of a family. That's what Fred C. Nelles brought," she said.

Nelles served as superintendent at the Whittier State School from 1912 to 1927. The place which later bore his name was closed by the state in 2004.

Sounds like an incredibly sane place, and probably quite far ahead of its time. Sad that it had to close. The world could do with more places like it, for those kids whose families are too atrocious or absent to care for them and teach them how to live well.

As many as 20 boys in Wineville, Calif., die at the hands of sadistic sex maniac Gordon Stewart Northcott in the late 1920s

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/jus...-1920s-article-1.1229595?pgno=1#ixzz2L9NKVJrk

But in 1928, something so awful happened there that it wiped the name off the map. It was a series of child killings that will forever be known as the “Wineville chicken coop murders.” As many as 20 boys may have died there at the hands of sadistic sex maniac Gordon Stewart Northcott, 21. Newspapers dubbed him the “ape man” because of the thick black hair all over his body.

================================================

these kinds of sick crimes have happened forever..

Since, have they not found any more remains?

I've recently read and researched a little into this so I've not gone in-depth.

BEWARE: These 50 Strangest Unsolved Mysteries of All Time Are Seriously Spooky!

33. The Disappearance of Walter Collins

On March 10, 1928, 9-year-old Walter Collins donned a lumber jacket, brown corduroy trousers, black Oxfords, and a grey cap and set off to see a movie in the Mount Washington neighborhood of Los Angeles. Walter never returned home.

His mother, Christine Collins, a telephone operator, reported her son missing 5 days later on March 15. At the time, the area was still recovering from the kidnapping and gruesome murder of a 12-year-old girl, Marion Parker, that had only happened 3 months earlier. Tips of apparent Walter sightings were coming from as far away as San Francisco and even Oakland. In one bizarre tip, someone reported seeing Walter at a gas station in Glendale. His body wrapped in newspaper with only his head visible. Police searched for months without any success.

In Illinois in August 1928, state police picked up a runaway boy who matched Walter’s description. The boy told authorities he was Walter Collins and gave a hazy description about his abduction. He spoke to Christine over the phone and she paid $70 to have her son back to Los Angeles. The boy lived with Christine for 3 weeks when she realized that this boy wasn’t her son. Christine found that the boy who was living with her was 1-inch shorter and she used dental records to show that this was a different kid. Christine told police that “yes, he looks like Walter. And in some ways acts like my son. But, still, I’m not certain about it. You see, Walter was quiet and well-behaved. He always called me ‘Mother.’ This child calls me ‘Ma’, and at times, he is hard to handle. I certainly hope that he is my son– but somehow, I just can’t bring myself to believe it.”

Pressured by the public, the police insisted that the child was indeed Walter. They conducted a series of tests to prove it. They had the child find his way back home from memory and brought in Walter’s pet dog who allegedly recognized the boy as its owner. Nevertheless, Christine wasn’t convinced. LAPD captain, JJ Jones accosted the grieving mother saying “what are you trying to do, make fools out of us all? Or are you trying to shirk your duties as a mother and have the state provide for your son? You are the most cruel-hearted woman I have ever known. You are a fool!” On September 8, 1928, the police had Christine committed to the psychiatric ward at the Los Angeles County General Hospital.

While Christine was in the hospital, JJ spoke again to the boy that they had picked up in Illinois. During that conversation, the boy made it known that he was, indeed, not Walter Collins but instead Arthur Hutchins. After his mother had died, the boy ran away from his father and stepmother. He was hitchhiking around the US and when inside a cafe, he was told that he resembled a missing boy from Los Angeles. When he was picked up, juvenile authorities were skeptical about his story but the police were so desperate to close the Collins case that they insisted on its accuracy. As for why Arthur lied, he said that he wanted to go to Hollywood to meet a cowboy actor, Tom Mix.

Christine was released from the psych ward on September 13, 1928, and sued the LAPD. JJ Jones was suspended from duty. Collins won her lawsuit against Jones and was awarded $10,800, which he never paid. She spent the rest of her life continuing to search for her missing son.

Gordon Stewart Northcott, the Wineville Chicken Coop Serial Killer.

LINK:

Reactions: byo
Two victims of Gordon Northcott:

Picture of Picture of
Brothers Lewis Henry Winslow (1916-1928) and Nelson Horatio Winslow (1917-1928)

LINKS:

Reactions: byo
It is my understanding there is at least one John Doe or Little John Doe, and it is one of the three victims they were put on trial for. I wonder what happened to his remains: the John Doe was usually referred to as "the Mexican" but was also tentatively identified as "Alvin Gothea." Not sure where they got the name from.

This is such an insane case.

It is my understanding there is at least one John Doe or Little John Doe, and it is one of the three victims they were put on trial for. I wonder what happened to his remains: the John Doe was usually referred to as "the Mexican" but was also tentatively identified as "Alvin Gothea." Not sure where they got the name from.

This is such an insane case.
In December 1928, three months after his arrest, Northcott was taken to the chicken ranch in handcuffs. Police reported that he initially said nine boys had been killed there, but admitted killing only five. In a written confession that day, he owned up to just one, believed to be the Mexican ranch hand: “I killed Alvin Gothea on the ranch on Feb. 2, 1928. No self-defense. Gordon Stewart Northcott will plead guilty to the above charge in Riverside County tomorrow"...

...Northcott was charged with killing Walter, along with the Winslow brothers and the Mexican youth...

...After a 27-day trial and two hours’ deliberation, jurors convicted Northcott of three slayings -- all but young Walter Collins. Northcott was sentenced to death...

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back