CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to be getting into psychological profiling here. So, I looked up "what type of person sexually assaults elderly women" and here's what I found - coincidentally, from Special Agent Safarik who said "look young and look close".

LINK - http://www.volcanopress.com/pages/news.cgi?newscatid=5&newsid=19

This part struck me:

While crime statistics make it appear practically non-existent, rape of the elderly can and does occur. When it does, it frequently turns deadly. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics report “Sex Offense and Offenders,” 1 in 7 sexual assault murder victims were 60 or older. 2.6% of rape victims over the age of 60 were killed during the rape. Only one age group of rape victims—ages 13 through 17—had a higher murder rate, at 3.3%.

Special Agent Mark E. Safarik, a profiler in the Behavioral Analysis Unit at the FBI Academy, has researched and written extensively about the topic of sexual homicides of elderly women. The study, published in the May issue of the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, involved a review of 110 offenders who perpetrated the rape and murder of 128 women 60 years and older. The mean age of the victims was 77.

“People find it difficult to imagine why a rapist would target an elderly victim, because society still equates sexual arousal and desire with rape,” Safarik said in a phone interview. “You’re dealing with issues of power and anger in these cases, and for a number of these offenders the victim is largely symbolic,” he added. Safarik speculated that the anger level, particularly with those who target elderly women, could be one explanation for the high murder rate of victims.

Safarik found that rapists who target and murder elderly women varied greatly by age and race, but were homogenous in many other characteristics and methods of operation.

The study found that these individuals are typically undereducated, unemployed and substance abusers--usually alcohol. They are socially incompetent, do not fit into their peer group, and sexually inadequate with only 48% of the offenders leaving semen at the crime scene.

While we don't know if AG was 'raped' per se - we do know that "there was a sexual component" to her killing.

----------------

ETA: Also in today's research, I found that sexual killing of elderly females stays within racial boundaries - black on black, hispanic on hispanic, white on white, etc. So, our perp must be white and young and close! (According to this Agent Safarik).

NSU - Safarik has said two opposing things regarding age - in the second last paragraph of his study above, he says 'varied greatly by age' meaning those that rape and murder elderly women and 'look young and look close' regarding AG's case.

I find it so difficult to put all my trust in experts that claim they know the unknown.

ETA: Also in today's research, I found that sexual killing of elderly females stays within racial boundaries - black on black, hispanic on hispanic, white on white, etc. So, our perp must be white and young and close! (According to this Agent Safarik).

Great post, NSU! Thanks so much.

I will suggest though that nothing is black and white.

I will disagree that our perp MUST be white and young. I would restate this as it is LIKELY that our perp is white and young.

Very interesting reading though.

I'm thinking that we need a new thread. Who are the moderators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici