Identified! Canada - Vancouver, 2 WhtMale Brothers, 7-10, "Babes in the Woods", Jan'53 - Derek and David D’Alton

Jan 28 2022
What is the Babes in the Woods murder case in Vancouver, BC? - Vancouver Is Awesome
babes-hatchet.JPG;w=960

The murder weapon from the Babes in the Woods cold case at the Vancouver Police Museum and Archives.Photo by Eve Lazarus

''Once Sweet had extracted the DNA, Honeybourn thought it would be disrespectful to put the children’s bones back on public display, where they been at the Vancouver Police Museum and on loan at the annual PNE fair. He saved the skulls for possible future use, and without the knowledge of his superiors, had the rest of the bones cremated and buried at sea.

Unfortunately, the DNA profile developed from the children’s teeth in 1996 wasn’t good enough to submit to U.S.-based genealogy sites such as GEDMatch. At least not until last year, when technology improved to the point where DNA could be extracted from the bone matter. The children’s remains were forwarded to Redgrave Research Forensic Services in Massachusetts and they were able to produce the beginnings of a DNA profile. While their killer is likely long dead, this means that we are one step closer to giving the children back their names.''

A great case update from the Redgraves (and a call to WS'ers of the Vancouver, BC area of Canada)!

"On January 17th, we received fantastic news from bioinformatician Kevin Lord at Saber Investigations! The second attempt to sequence the DNA of the older boy of the Babes in the Wood by HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology was successful, and we were able to upload his kit to GEDmatch! Our team of forensic genetic genealogists got to work analyzing the DNA profile and building out trees of cousin matches right away, and we are feeling very optimistic. We are fully dedicated to reaching an ID, and hope that we will have more good news to share with you on this historic case soon!

See more about this case on our website: https://redgraveresearch.com/2021/05/18/babes-in-the-wood/
There are also some new articles out about this case:
-Daily Hive, Jan 14 2022: https://dailyhive.com/.../vancouver-babes-in-the-woods...
-Vancouver Is Awesome, Jan 28 2022, part 1: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/.../vancouver-cold...
Please follow Cold Case BC for part 2 of the above article this week.

***If you have family from the Vancouver, BC area of Canada and have taken a commercial DNA test (Ancestry, 23&Me, MyHeritage etc), we would like to ask you to consider uploading your data to GEDmatch as well. This is free to do, and could really help our research!***

Instructions for doing this are here: http://help.FG4LE.com

Thank you to the Vancouver Police Department again for entrusting us with this case!"

Weird possible identification with David and Derek Bousquet. Wonder what will come out of it, hopefully the identification but I don't really know how trustworthy it is.

Very trustworthy. Eve Lazarus is a well known and reputable writer here in BC. The DNA confirmed to the family members who pursued this who the two little boys were. Sad outcome but at least they know now.

It’s almost 70 years since they were found buried in Stanley Park, but now the Babes in the Woods have their names back – Eve Lazarus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it doesn't say anywhere.
I guess it would be either Vancouver Sun and/or VPD that would show it.
Will keep an eye out, posting link if I find one.

Who are the Babes in the Woods found dead in Stanley Park? - Vancouver Is Awesome
babes-doreen-with-the-boys.png;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

babes-with-derek-on-right-with-another-cousin-1.png;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000
babes-eileen-is-pictured-on-the-right-walking-with-one-of-her-sisters-.png;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

by Eve Lazarus
''Ally Brady, 26 was flicking through the family album one day when she discovered that she had two great uncles who she had never met. The older boy had blonde hair and blue eyes, and the younger had darker features. When Ally asked her grandmother Diane who they were, she found out they were Diane’s younger brothers David and Derek Bousquet.

“I remember my mother sharing stories with me about her mother’s poverty and how they used to jump out of windows at places they were renting in Vancouver to avoid having to pay because they were just so poor,” Ally says that she was told the two little boys were taken away by social services because their mother Eileen, a sex worker of Metis heritage, was too poor to look after them. Diane remained with her mother.''

''Police have always believed that the boys were killed by their mother, who covered them up with her coat and most likely committed suicide soon afterwards.''

AUDIO
Eve Lazarus on a new development in an old cold case | On The Coast with Gloria Macarenko | Live Radio | CBC Listen
On The Coast with Gloria Macarenko
Eve Lazarus on a new development in an old cold case

''Nearly 70 years ago in 1953, the bodies of two children were found buried in Stanley Park. The case was dubbed "Babes in the Woods," and became one of Vancouver's oldest cold cases. Now we know the identities of those two boys, taking us a step closer to finding out what happened. For more on this we reached Eve Lazarus. She's a Vancouver-based author and crime historian, and the creator of the Cold Case Canada podcast.''
Aired: Feb. 14, 2022''

Press release:

VPD identifies child victims in historic cold case murder - Vancouver Police Department

Vancouver – Nearly 70 years after skeletal remains were discovered in Stanley Park, the Vancouver Police Department has finally identified the victims in the city’s oldest unsolved murder case.

“These murders have haunted generations of homicide investigators, and we are relieved to now give these children a name and to bring some closure to this horrific case,” says Inspector Dale Weidman, commanding officer of the Vancouver Police Department’s Major Crime Section. “Although significant folklore has surrounded this case for years, we must not forget that these were real children who died a tragic and heartbreaking death.”

The children, now confirmed to be brothers Derek and David D’Alton, were discovered in 1953 by a groundskeeper who was clearing brush near Beaver Lake in Stanley Park. The children – David was age six and Derek age seven at the time of death – had been bludgeoned by a hatchet. They were covered by a women’s coat, and concealed by thick brush that had grown around their bodies after death.

No homicide case is ever closed until it is solved, and for the past 70 years VPD investigators have regularly revisited the cold case to review evidence and examine new leads. In 2021, investigators obtained a DNA sample from each of the boys’ skulls and contracted Redgrave Research Forensic Services, a Massachusetts-based forensic genetic genealogist company. The Redgrave Research team was able to identify the maternal grandparents of one of the boys, and constructed a family tree by comparing the victims’ DNA to people who had submitted their own DNA to private companies for genetic testing.

“We knew there were good odds of finding a living family member out there somewhere,” says Detective Constable Aida Rodriguez, VPD’s lead investigator. “But, once we discovered that DNA match, we still had a significant amount of work to do to locate family members, check school records, and confirm specific details about the victims so we could be absolutely certain about their identities.”

Earlier this month, VPD investigators met with a distant relative who lives in a Vancouver suburb, informing the family member of their findings. At that time, investigators were also able to gather additional information about the boys.

VPD now believes Derek and David were descendants of Russian immigrants who came to Canada at the turn of the 20th century. The victims, who lived in Vancouver, had a family member who lived near the entrance to Stanley Park at the time of their death. Investigators theorize the person who killed Derek and David was likely a close relative who died approximately 25 years ago.

“After seven decades as a cold case, we presumed that the person who killed Derek and David had likely passed away,” adds Inspector Weidman. “But at this stage in the investigation, it was never about seeing someone charged for these crimes. It was always about giving these boys a name and finally telling their story. I’m proud to be part of the team that has done that.”

Derek-and-David-DAlton-282x300.jpg

Derek and David D’Alton

Derek-DAlton-247x300.jpg

Derek D’Alton

David-DAlton-194x300.jpg

David D’Alton

That's NOT the name in the official announcement (quoted in post #119)

I see that Bousquet was the mother's name, and yes, that is offputting to see a different name in this police article! Perhaps that was the mother's married name, D'Alton, at any rate as Alice notes, it is best to wait till the official statement from police. So glad I never made that mistake as a former community reporter myself!!!

Exactly. And that is why only LE or the genetic researchers should make announcements like these.
Poor boys. I wonder why this happened, but I guess we'll never know.

You are right! The way you describe it is usually the way things are done. But in this case, I guess media got the info. from the relative as she did seem to speak to them ahead of time. However, I would think Bousquet is the maiden name of the mom, but don't quote me on that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back