CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you happen to have a link for that? Because I would love to read more about this subject....it beats the heck out of the technology stuff about cell phones/pings and all that related stuff! :floorlaugh:

I'd prefer the technology stuff any day if I didn't have to find a link to say what I want to say.

I can't say what I think caused the "initial" belief by LE that he was a runaway without a link, so until I find what I'm looking for, here's this:

Both sightings are unconfirmed, and, in both cases, the boy ran from rescue workers up a hill in the Vallecito area, Bender said. “We’re assuming at this point – it may be Dylan – eluded searchers,” he said. “We’re leaning toward his being a runaway

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl.../SEARCH/Police-search-for-teen-near-Vallecito

Thanks TxJan!

WOW well that sounds very poor to me for a reason. To assume for the above reason a 'runaway'. Also, before assuuming it should have been checked out to make sure by finding whom ever it had been. Might have been easier for LE to assume! However not acceptable to me and I doubt Dylan's mother would have been pleased about this. I am floored, missed this and it makes me angry!

Well I am in E here and saying GoodNight! Let us all Pray for Dylan!

Thanks TxJan!

WOW well that sounds very poor to me for a reason. To assume for the above reason a 'runaway'. Also, before assuuming it should have been checked out to make sure by finding whom ever it had been. Might have been easier for LE to assume! However not acceptable to me and I doubt Dylan's mother would have been pleased about this. I am floored, missed this and it makes me angry!

Well I am in E here and saying GoodNight! Let us all Pray for Dylan!

I believe they did find him later and it was a jogger.

Just been trying to find a reason for him not contacting anyone that morning, other than he didn't feel like it or no electronics/phones worked. :banghead:

You bring up a good question. Why would a 13 year old boy not contact his friend in the morning who was expecting him?

I look back when I was a young boy of 13 and see myself as a guy who would not want to let my friends down.

But if things were out of my control would I immediately tell my friends that I was unable to fulfill my promise? Probably not. It would be difficult to tell my friends that I had to bow down to my fathers will.

That would make me hesitant in telling my friends that I couldn't meet up at the time that was agreed upon. MOO.

I wish I could get away from Dylan not contacting anyone on Monday morning, but I can't. If a teen has time to eat cereal, they have time to text. If a teen has time to change channels and maybe watch a show, they text. Especially if they are supposed to be someplace else, i.e. with old friends and plans fell through for any reason. Kids are always at the mercy of adults for rides, etc. so being embarrassed about that (waiting until noon) makes no sense. All the more reason to find out where they will be at noon and make sure they are expecting him. And also, maybe just to text someone in CS, or whoever else he keeps in touch with. He is on a trip, he would want to reach out and see what his other friends are up to, maybe. Or he would text or call his dad to see if he could maybe get home sooner. Something.

All JMO, of course, but the lack of proof of Dylan being alive and well on Monday morning chills me. No word from him, no other witness to his being okay, no one seeing him on the road. It just paints a scary picture in my mind, but one I can't fill in. LE throwing it out there that maybe something happened at the house only adds to it for me.

It is my understanding as well, from another case that I followed, that they would want a worn item of clothing that has not been touched by anyone else other than the victim. This would require bagging a item from their dirty laundry in the same way that you would bag a piece of evidence in a case, so that you don't contaminate it with anyone elses scent or DNA, etc.

Now that's interesting! Thanks for sharing!!! Learn something new every day!

I know, huh?? I was actually surprised. I would have thought that a shoe or a sock would have made an excellent item for scent. But that wasn't at all what SARX said.

I wish I could get away from Dylan not contacting anyone on Monday morning, but I can't. If a teen has time to eat cereal, they have time to text. If a teen has time to change channels and maybe watch a show, they text. Especially if they are supposed to be someplace else, i.e. with old friends and plans fell through for any reason. Kids are always at the mercy of adults for rides, etc. so being embarrassed about that (waiting until noon) makes no sense. All the more reason to find out where they will be at noon and make sure they are expecting him. And also, maybe just to text someone in CS, or whoever else he keeps in touch with. He is on a trip, he would want to reach out and see what his other friends are up to, maybe. Or he would text or call his dad to see if he could maybe get home sooner. Something.

All JMO, of course, but the lack of proof of Dylan being alive and well on Monday morning chills me. No word from him, no other witness to his being okay, no one seeing him on the road. It just paints a scary picture in my mind, but one I can't fill in. LE throwing it out there that maybe something happened at the house only adds to it for me.

You know whats scary to me? A popular young man like Dylan only has one friend texting him. Why only RN?

Maybe he knows they move from one place to another a lot, so he'd just have to ask where they were again when the time came. My son once made an interesting comment when I was running way behind schedule. I said I was going to call my sister to let her know I was going to be late, and he asked me since she already knows I'm late, so why do I have to call and tell her. He thought it would make more sense to just go and get there sooner (no cell phones, so I'd have to stand there and call.) Or maybe X got there after he fixed a bowl of cereal, but before he turned on his phone. MOO

Not all young teens have cell phones, do they?
That's true. But Dylan only knows one person with one? I think not. And I think that LE has more information in regards to electronic communication than has been released.

Maybe he knows they move from one place to another a lot, so he'd just have to ask where they were again when the time came. My son once made an interesting comment when I was running way behind schedule. I said I was going to call my sister to let her know I was going to be late, and he asked me since she already knows I'm late, so why do I have to call and tell her. He thought it would make more sense to just go and get there sooner (no cell phones, so I'd have to stand there and call.) Or maybe X got there after he fixed a bowl of cereal, but before he turned on his phone. MOO

But he would want to know the plans, IMO. What if arrived without warning and they had gone to a movie, for example? Or if R did not text him right back and his grandma or whoever did not know where the boys were?

Maybe I am just stuck on it, but I can't see a teen sitting down and eating, alone in the house, and not using his devices, especially to text his friends he is supposed to be with that very moment. I have a middle school on my street and often see boys of his age walking, alone or even in groups, and cannot recall the last time I saw one who was not playing with his phone as he walked. I would not be surprised if they send texts to the guy walking furthest away from them in the group...

But he would want to know the plans, IMO. What if arrived without warning and they had gone to a movie, for example? Or if R did not text him right back and his grandma or whoever did not know where the boys were?

Maybe I am just stuck on it, but I can't see a teen sitting down and eating, alone in the house, and not using his devices, especially to text his friends he is supposed to be with that very moment. I have a middle school on my street and often see boys of his age walking, alone or even in groups, and cannot recall the last time I saw one who was not playing with his phone as he walked. I would not be surprised if they send texts to the guy walking furthest away from them in the group...
I have to admit that I've seen kids leaving school behaving in the same manner that you have described.

But I have not seen young people in a home situation where they can't control themselves enough to eat or drink because of an addition to texting. Is it really that bad?

I think that kids can delay texting if they are told to do so by a parent. MOO.

BBM

That is one of the main points, imo. Dylan would know that RN was not going to spend the entire day sitting at his grandma's, waiting on him. He knew that at some point RN was going to split and go meet up w/friends somewhere else.
So it makes no sense to me that D would just pack up and leave his Dad's, without first contacting RN to say he was on his way and find out where to meet them.

There are several reasons that he would contact RN before leaving his Dad's house, imo. Saying sorry for being late, checking where RN was going to be, finding out if anyone was in the area and might be able to pick him up, and tell them he was on the way.

As you said, the kids might have made plans to go somewhere, and why would D try to hitch 18 miles without finding exactly where to get dropped off? When you 'hitch' a ride, you don't often get door to door drop off service-- Unlike what he would get if he waited for his Dad.

I just cannot see him waking up and taking the time to watch cartoons and eat cereal, but not bothering to make contact with anyone before heading to Bayfield.

If he was wanting to go to Bayfield, and not waiting for his Dad, I believe he would have reached out to his friend in Vallecito first. Wouldn't there be a chance he was heading to town and could give D a ride?

I would see hitching as a last resort, not something he'd do before checking out easier options. JMO

BBM

That is one of the main points, imo. Dylan would know that RN was not going to spend the entire day sitting at his grandma's, waiting on him. He knew that at some point RN was going to split and go meet up w/friends somewhere else.
So it makes no sense to me that D would just pack up and leave his Dad's, without first contacting RN to say he was on his way and find out where to meet them.

There are several reasons that he would contact RN before leaving his Dad's house, imo. Saying sorry for being late, checking where RN was going to be, finding out if anyone was in the area and might be able to pick him up, and tell them he was on the way.

As you said, the kids might have made plans to go somewhere, and why would D try to hitch 18 miles without finding exactly where to get dropped off? When you 'hitch' a ride, you don't often get door to door drop off service-- Unlike what he would get if he waited for his Dad.

I just cannot see him waking up and taking the time to watch cartoons and eat cereal, but not bothering to make contact with anyone before heading to Bayfield.

If he was wanting to go to Bayfield, and not waiting for his Dad, I believe he would have reached out to his friend in Vallecito first. Wouldn't there be a chance he was heading to town and could give D a ride?

I would see hitching as a last resort, not something he'd do before checking out easier options. JMO
I think that Dylan would have liked to have communicated with his friends on Monday morning, but something prevented him from doing so.

He then set out on his own and met up with someone who harmed him. MOO.

Also, in Bayfield, it is possible that his friends do not live all near one another, since it is all kind of rural, another reason to find out where they would be.

I think that Dylan would have liked to have communicated with his friends on Monday morning, but something prevented him from doing so.

When you say something prevented him from communicating, do you mean something about his emotional state made him reluctant to reach out to friends or family? With cell phone, ipod, computer and land line available to him, I would think he could choose one of those, even if his cell phone had quit working.

My problem is, I have trouble reconciling the two above statements,

If something prevented D from communicating, by let's say, his cell phone, then he could have used his i-pod or his game console or the computer. And of course the landline. It is hard to believe they all failed him.

But if all of those failed, then even more reason to wait for his dad to give him a ride. If his cell didn't work, then I think he would have waited so his Dad would get him a new battery or a cheap throwaway phone.

I doubt he would have wanted to hitchhike to town with no way to communicate with any of his friends. What a hassle and waste of time that would be. How would he know where his friends were once he got to town? If he just waited an hour or so he could get a ride from his dad and a cell to use as well.

I just cannot see a reasonable scenario where he lounges around that morning, eating and watching tv, but then rushes out the door to try and hitch a ride, without reaching out to his friends first. And now that we know there is viable cell service in the house and various electronic devices, it is even more baffling that he did not contact anyone. JMO

If not for the alleged cereal,bowl, TV, etc. signs that he had been up and about, I would think it possible he was somehow cajoled into leaving with someone before he had a chance to do his morning texting. But once we have him up and eating, I can't see him not reaching for phone to read his messages and respond to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000