CO - Edward Hayes, 10 mos, disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, Canon City, 21 May 2023 *arrest*

I was just checking next week's hearings before I print up new sheets...

and I noticed she has another case - which has Juvenile case #.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
6/21/23
10:00 AM 15M IN PERSON CRAWFORD, BROOK Rtrn Filing of Charges D222023CR203 Fremont County Courtroom 201

6/29/23
10:00 AM 1Hr CRAWFORD, BROOK Adjudicatory Hearing D222023JV30032 Fremont County Courtroom 102

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

but all I have for her charges is:

with suspicion of child abuse-negligence resulting in death.

And have no idea how to navigate the Colorado court site to find out "what" these charges are for. Anyone? :)

If they keep having hearings together I will merge them into one. Just lately they have started having their hearings together.

Wednesday, June 21st:
*Hearing (@ 9am MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City. *William Jacobs (21) BF of mom arrested & originally charged (5/23/23) with child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury, but police say the charges are expected to be amended. *Charged (amended 6/7/23) with 1st degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, child abuse resulting bodily injury & cruelty to animals. Held on $75K cash only bond. Bond changed (6/7/23) to no bond.
Case & court info from 5/21/23 thru 5/24/23 reference post #13 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...yfriend-canon-city-21-may-2023-arrest.679072/

5/31/23 Update: The 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday was granted a one-week extension to file charges against Jacobs. Jacobs initially was arrested on suspicion of child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury. Both the prosecution & the defense are awaiting findings from the autopsy, forensic neuropathologist review & additional investigatory reports. On Wednesday, Jacobs' public defender, Daniel Zettler, said at this time, the incident is a tragedy, but not a crime, but Deputy DA Wendy Owens said the prosecution disagrees with his assertion. "The People do believe that based on our observation of the autopsy & our communications with our law enforcement partner that a crime was very likely committed here," she said. Charges are expected to be filed 6/7/23. Return filing of charges hearing on 6/7/23 @ 8:30am.
6/7/23 Update: Jacobs was formally charged with first-degree murder in District Court Wednesday. Jacobs also has been charged with child abuse resulting in death, child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury & cruelty to animals. Next hearing on 6/21/23 @ 9am.

ALSO:

*Return Filing of Charges Hearing (@ 10am MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City - *Brook N. Crawford (20) arrested & charged (6/13/23) with suspicion of child abuse-negligence resulting in death. She was released on a personal recognizance bond by the Court.
6/13/23 Update: The mother Brook Crawford was arrested by Cañon City Police Dept. on Friday on suspicion of child abuse – negligence resulting in death. According to the FCSO, she was released on a personal recognizance bond by the court. Crawford is expected to appear in court for a formal filing of charges on 6/21/23 @ 10am. 6/17/23: Another case #D222023JV30032 on court site. No idea what this is for. An Adjudicatory hearing is scheduled on 6/29/23 @ 10am.

Looks like Crawford's hearing was reset.

6/28/23
10:00 AM 1Hr CRAWFORD, BROOK Rtrn Filing of Charges D222023CR203 Fremont County Courtroom 201

7/12/23
9:00 AM 1Hr JACOBS, WILLIAM Pre-Trial Conference D222023CR191 Fremont County Courtroom 201

Interesting - Jacobs got bond.... after he was charged with murder bond was denied (6/7/23)

June 21, 2023

The man suspected of the abuse of a Cañon City baby, who later died, was granted a $100,000 cash or surety bond Wednesday in Fremont County Court.

William Jacobs, 21, was set to appear for a proof evident, presumption great hearing Wednesday, but a Colorado Supreme Court ruling in a separate case Tuesday made him eligible for bond.

The case, called ‘In re People v. Smith,’ states that a no bond hold in capital cases violates the Constitution and now is null and void, according to Deputy District Attorney Wendy Owens.
[.....]
Under the ruling, Jacobs was eligible for bond.
[.....]
“He was not employed, he was essentially the babysitter for the child,” she said. “Although he is very young, he is only 21, he already has some violent criminal history.”

He was convicted of third-degree assault in Arapahoe County, convicted of harassment in Fremont County and has two juvenile matters “that are of concern” to the DA’s Office, Owens said.

She asked for a $1 million cash-only bond.
[.....]
“It is important to note that Brook Crawford, the co-defendant and the mother of the child, continues to support Mr. Jacobs, continues to stand behind him," Zettler said. " …She knows that he loved the child, she knows he did not abuse the child, she knows that he did not cause his death.”

Crawford, 20, was arrested on June 9 on suspicion of child abuse – negligence resulting in death, a Class 3 felony, and received a personal recognizance bond.
[.....]
Magistrate Michael Meyrick said it appeared that Crawford received a PR bond because no one from the DA’s Office appeared for weekend advisement after her arrest.

Owens said the office did not receive notification of the advisement.
[.....]
On Wednesday, Meyrick set Jacobs’ bond at $100,000 cash or surety.

Jacobs is slated to return for a status conference July 12; Crawford is slated to appear for filing of charges on June 28.

A lot more in the article about the ruling giving Jacobs a bond, plus other stuff.

Sadly, I believe we will see many more of these cases as women are forced to have babies they don't want or can't afford to care for while safety nets are gutted. We know that unemployed boyfriends don't make good babysitters.

Wednesday, June 28th:
*Return Filing of Charges Hearing (@ 10am MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City - *Brook N. Crawford (20) arrested & charged (6/13/23) with suspicion of child abuse-negligence resulting in death. She was released on a personal recognizance bond by the Court.
6/13/23 Update: The mother Brook Crawford was arrested by Cañon City Police Dept. on Friday on suspicion of child abuse – negligence resulting in death. According to the FCSO, she was released on a personal recognizance bond by the court. Crawford is expected to appear in court for a formal filing of charges on 6/21/23 @ 10am. 6/17/23: Another case #D222023JV30032 on court site. No idea what this is for. An Adjudicatory hearing is scheduled on 6/29/23 @ 10am.
6/21/23 Update: Return filing of charges hearing was reset on 6/28/23.
*William Jacobs (21) has pretrial conference hearing on 7/12/23.

June 29, 2023

The mother of the 10-month-old baby who died May 21 after he allegedly was abused by his caregiver appeared in court for formal filing of charges Wednesday.

Brook N. Crawford, 20, is facing charges of child abuse, a Class 3 felony; child abuse, a Class 1 misdemeanor; and cruelty to animals – neglect.
[.....]
Crawford is expected to appear in court for a pretrial conference July 26.

Actually the court site says Preliminary hearing on 7/26.

June 29, 2023

The mother of the 10-month-old baby who died May 21 after he allegedly was abused by his caregiver appeared in court for formal filing of charges Wednesday.

Brook N. Crawford, 20, is facing charges of child abuse, a Class 3 felony; child abuse, a Class 1 misdemeanor; and cruelty to animals – neglect.
[.....]
Crawford is expected to appear in court for a pretrial conference July 26.

Actually the court site says Preliminary hearing on 7/26.

Wonder if, now that she is also charged, she continues to stand by her man?

Wednesday, July 12th:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 9am MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City. *William Jacobs (21) BF of mom arrested & originally charged (5/23/23) with child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury, but police say the charges are expected to be amended. *Charged (amended 6/7/23) with 1st degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, child abuse resulting bodily injury & cruelty to animals. Held on $75K cash only bond. Bond changed (6/7/23) to no bond. $100K Cash or Surety Bond (6/21/23).
Case & court info from 5/21/23 thru 5/31/23 reference post #25 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-canon-city-21-may-2023-arrest.679072/page-2

6/7/23 Update: Jacobs was formally charged with first-degree murder in District Court Wednesday. Jacobs also has been charged with child abuse resulting in death, child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury & cruelty to animals. Next hearing on 6/21/23 @ 9am.
6/21/23 Update: Magistrate Michael Meyrick granted Jacobs a $100K cash or surety bond Wednesday in Fremont County Court. Jacobs was set to appear for a proof evident, presumption great hearing Wednesday, but a Colorado Supreme Court ruling in a separate case Tuesday made him eligible for bond. The case, called ‘In re People v. Smith,’ states that a no bond hold in capital cases violates the Constitution & now is null & void, according to Deputy District Attorney Wendy Owens. Next pretrial conference hearing on 7/12/23.
*Brook N. Crawford (20) “mom” has preliminary hearing on 7/26/23.

Brook N. Crawford (Fremont County Sheriff's Office)

The incident happened at Motel 6, where Jacobs, Crawford and Edward had been living since they lost their home to a fire earlier this year.

During his initial interview, according to the affidavit, Jacobs said he was changing the baby’s diaper when “he went stiff and began making gargling noises.”

“William ran downstairs to tell (redacted) that Edward was acting strange and they needed to take him to the doctor and then returned to the room,” the affidavit states. “William began shaking Edward and slapping him on the back to get him to breathe.”

While speaking with him at the hospital, Jacobs told authorities that he was “kinda rough” during that process, but in a later interview, he stated he had not been rough, the affidavit states.

A nurse who was in a neighboring room overheard the commotion and began to assist. The nurse noted that Jacobs was being too rough and took over beginning CPR and calling 911.

During an interview, Jacobs admitted to biting Edward’s arm while playing with him and biting too hard, but he also told law enforcement that the baby sustained the bite mark from a dog.

Jacobs also admitted to hitting Edward’s head on the bathroom door frame while he was trying to take him to throw up in the toilet.

While Jacobs kept stating that he was scared that he was going to be “pinned” for this and scared of being in trouble, “he never asked about Edward or how he was doing throughout the interview.”

William Jacobs booking photo. (Cañon City Police Department)

According to the court ruling, previously, a district court could deny bail if “proof is evident and presumption is great” that a capital offense had been committed. Because the term “capital offenses” refers to offenses for which a statute authorizes the imposition of the death penalty, the General Assembly abolished the death penalty in Colorado as a punishment for offenses charged on or after July 1, 2020, the Supreme Court concluded that a district abused its discretion when it treated the charge of first-degree murder as a capital offense and then denied the defendant’s request for bail.

Under the ruling, Jacobs was eligible for bond.

At the time of his arrest, bail originally was set at $75,000 cash-only based on the original probable cause affidavit, which at that time was based on a Class 3 felony child abuse charge.

Last edited:
I shall have surgery (carotid artery stent put in) on Tuesday, July 25th - So I will need to post Tuesday the 25th, Wednesday the 26th & Thursday the 27th hearings - as I do not know "when" I shall be back home from the hospital. I am HOPING for Wednesday afternoon!! :)

Wednesday, July 26th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 1:30pm MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City - *Brook N. Crawford (20) arrested (6/13/23) & formally charged (6/28/23) with child abuse (F3), child abuse (Class 1 misdemeanor & cruelty to animals/neglect. She was released on a personal recognizance bond by the Court.
Court info from 6/13/23 thru 6/17/23 reference post #30 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-canon-city-21-may-2023-arrest.679072/page-2

6/21/23 Update: Return filing of charges hearing was reset on 6/28/23. 6/28/23 Update: Crawford appeared in court for formal filing of charges Wednesday. Crawford is facing charges of child abuse, a Class 3 felony; child abuse, a Class 1 misdemeanor & cruelty to animals – neglect. Next preliminary hearing on 7/26/23 @ 1:30pm.
*William Jacobs (21) has preliminary hearing on 8/23/23.

I shall have surgery (carotid artery stent put in) on Tuesday, July 25th - So I will need to post Tuesday the 25th, Wednesday the 26th & Thursday the 27th hearings - as I do not know "when" I shall be back home from the hospital. I am HOPING for Wednesday afternoon!! :)

[SBM for focus]
thinking of you today hoping all goes to plan and your recovery is brief. CYA soon friend.

All there is for Crawford on the court site is her other juvenile case.

10/11/23
10:30 AM 1Hr CRAWFORD, BROOK Review Hearing D222023JV30032 Fremont County Courtroom 102

I did not list this as I do not know what it is about - not the greatest court site...

I shall keep watching for her criminal charges. Fremont County #D222023CR203

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaid28
Back