CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
'From the outside looking in, I would say that North America in general is bad at providing safety for its children, and Colorado in particular has a very poor track record.

There are a lot of societal contributors but the undercurrent of acceptance and glorification of violence in your society is a major one.'

Thank you Sapphiresteel for this in the last thread. It is in my belief very closely tied to societal problems and individualism. The US is seemingly a look into the future of where the world is headed and it's really not that other places are better or safer, but rather just not there yet. I've seen vast differences in Germany over the last 10 years but I still chose it for my little daughter over the US. The lack of caring for one's fellow man and respect for human life is all but non-existent in some places and it's sad.

There is no 'justice' for Jessica. She lost her life at the hands of a sick monster and justice would only mean she is back with us. And that will never happen. Death penalty or not, she isn't coming back. My heart aches for both families. It's such a senseless tragedy. Just remember this guy isn't the only one out there.

I think killers of this type, are born without conscience, no empathy, no guilt. When I was a young girl around 7 or so, a neighbor boy I used to play with next door, wanted a wallet I had. I wouldn't give it to him and he tried to strangle me for it. His mom hear me screaming and come running. She chalked it up to kids fighting, but it was scary to me, I couldn't breath and he had me in a grip. Another time a boy age 15 again chocked me in my SIL home because he wanted a kiss. I wouldn't kiss him and he grabbed me, pushed me against a wall and was chocking me. Once again I was saved, by someone coming into the house. He later raped a 12 yr old girl. I don't know what ever happened to him. But this was back in the 60's and people just didn't call the cops, at least not on kids fighting.

I have been checking in here daily. I was so afraid this case would go cold or it would take another Victim to solve it. I am beyond shocked and sickened. I have no words.

There have been instances of even younger killers murdering children than this 17 yr old.

I recall one case maybe 10 or so years ago in which the perp was all of 10 yrs old and he lured an even younger child into the woods and killed them because he wanted to see what it would be like.

And there are other examples of younger perps (younger than 17 for sure), but I don't have time to Google them.

This is not the first time by far, it won't be the last time (unfortunately), and these crimes are such anomalies that I don't think there's any one cause that can be pinpointed with an "Aha!" Video games, anime, violent movies or whatever are not going to answer the question of "how" and "why." It's much too complex and probably an individual thing that is a mix of brain chemistry, emotional, physical, environmental, etc.

The only way to ensure a child doesn't get abducted is to make sure that child is never alone where they can be abducted.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusive-details-about-arrest-kidnapping-of-jessica-ridgeway-revealed/

*“She was freaked out by a teenager staring at her at the park.” Emily Alexander says Sigg’s stare was so cold that her daughter remembered it days later.
“After Jessica was kidnapped she told me she knew who it was. She was sure she knew who it was and it was this teenager. A few days later he was walking by and she pointed him out and she said ‘That’s the guy!’ That was him.”

Wow, that's spooky that a little girl suspected him all along.

<<A high-placed law enforcement source says Sigg confessed to leaving those things as a distraction for police.>>

Thinking of scattered ( staged) evidence in every other case.I am so sad for this little girl and scared for our children.

I would be shocked if Jessica was dismembered in that open space. That would be one heck of a chance for this guy to take getting caught in the act. It makes more sense- if he indeed did this because of his curiosity in seeing someone cut up- for him to want to take his time, meaning he took her to his house and likely dismembered her in the bathtub.

This case has really shaken me up!

I feel like there is a whole lot more of these young boys headed in this direction due to the violence we see on tv and video games. If I had a son I would be very worried about it.

But I have two young daughters ages 14 and 11. My 14 yr old has always been very very cautious and scared of everything so I don't worry as much about her as I do my 11 yr old. She is a free spirit and has a mind of her own and always has... Once when she was around 3 she told me "I ain't afraid of nothing!" cute but scary and once when she was about the same age she got up one morning and with a scowl on her face said "Are you gonna boss me today??". Night and day with these two!

Anyway, I am terrified of something like this happening to one of them and wanted to scare them into being more cautious. My 11 yr old loves to put on her headphones and play outside after school. She is in the front or back yard but still with the headphones on she is maybe not aware of her surroundings as much. I told her about this case and didn't spare any details telling her to never approach a strangers car or talk to a stranger even teenagers and do you know what she said to me after rolling her eyes...?? "Well! It's not MY fault he did that to her!" Ummmm.....she just doesn't get it and I don't know how to make her get it.

I would be shocked if Jessica was dismembered in that open space. That would be one heck of a chance for this guy to take getting caught in the act. It makes more sense- if he indeed did this because of his curiosity in seeing someone cut up- for him to want to take his time, meaning he took her to his house and likely dismembered her in the bathtub.

I think he did it at home also!
where was Mom tho?
Work?

I would think this would take quite a while to clean up if he did it at home and
wouldnt she smell it? Blood alone has a smell.

This case has really shaken me up!

I feel like there is a whole lot more of these young boys headed in this direction due to the violence we see on tv and video games. If I had a son I would be very worried about it.

But I have two young daughters ages 14 and 11. My 14 yr old has always been very very cautious and scared of everything so I don't worry as much about her as I do my 11 yr old. She is a free spirit and has a mind of her own and always has... Once when she was around 3 she told me "I ain't afraid of nothing!" cute but scary and once when she was about the same age she got up one morning and with a scowl on her face said "Are you gonna boss me today??". Night and day with these two!

Anyway, I am terrified of something like this happening to one of them and wanted to scare them into being more cautious. My 11 yr old loves to put on her headphones and play outside after school. She is in the front or back yard but still with the headphones on she is maybe not aware of her surroundings as much. I told her about this case and didn't spare any details telling her to never approach a strangers car or talk to a stranger even teenagers and do you know what she said to me after rolling her eyes...?? "Well! It's not MY fault he did that to her!" Ummmm.....she just doesn't get it and I don't know how to make her get it.

UMMMM If I had girls id have one of neighbors or friends do an abduction on my kids scare them sheetless. Would they hate me forever probably but id get to get up and look at their beautiful faces every day!

First of all I want to say I am very overjoyed that this alleged killer is off the streets. I would love to say that Colorado can breath easier. However, can we ever really breath easier? Anywhere?

I feel very sad for all victims in this case, (Jessica, her entire family and friends, children that were in her classes, the mother that turned in Sig, and his little brother). The damage that this has done to so many is overwhelming.

I have felt for some time that this was not motivated as a sex crime. I am waiting to see how it pans out. I honestly believe if it was sexual in nature it was not in any sense we see in normal sex crimes. (not that any are normal) I think this is going to be so twisted. In my opinion Jessica was more of a specimen to the perp. I am not going into details of where my mind is on this. I am in "wait and see mode".

If he did hot tie her, which I believe he did, I bet he used zip ties due to the ability to move fast and very effective. I do believe Jessica was probably unconscious due to a chemical soaked rag. However, if he did strangle her while unconscious, why hogtie her. I think to every lie there is a bit of truth. I fear the suffering that will come out that this child went through and it truly shivers me to my core.

I feel compassion for the killer only so far as I know what its like to be in a broken home. I know what its like to be bullied. I also know what its like to not fit in as you are different. But.... that is where I draw the line. Once he crossed that bridge and became an evil person, I can no longer feel any pity for him now.

May Jessica rest in peace, and her family find a way to go on and have some happiness in their future. :(

Even though one is too many, these incidents of teenagers committing horrific murders are not common; just highly publicized (just like child abductions.)

But I also don't think that simply keeping track of kids' computer use, etc. is a guarantee of anything. If the child or teen has an interest in something dark, he or she will find a way to explore it, or will begin later, i.e. at 18, once they get away to college or out of the home.

what will happen in court today? will they read charges? set dates? Will camera's be allowed, he's a minor being charged as adult, does that also mean he is now veiwed as an adult in the courts eye or just the charges are being held to adult standards, if that makes sense.?Tia.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusive-details-about-arrest-kidnapping-of-jessica-ridgeway-revealed/

They say in the this video-- they even searched his home in the initial search?????

I got a few things from this video:

1. The neighbor says that they (LE) came over and took swabs from everyone. This tells me that they did not find DNA on Jessica's body or backpack. Otherwise, they could have already identified him.

2. "Because he was 17, I didn't believe her. I thought she was just being paranoid." This is a quote from the mother of the young girl who pointed AS out to her, indicating that the girl felt he was the one who killed Jessica. This is so unfortunate. Profilers assumed this perp was much older. They had most of us feeling like he was going to be some creepy old man, yet they encouraged everyone to report anything unusual, even gut feelings. How can one have a "gut feeling" (the mother), if LE is disuading her in a different direction?

3. They are still searching for the crime scene where he "dismembered" her body. Why would he confess to the crime, and even tell them where the rest of her remains were located, yet not tell them where he dismembered her?

4. He claims that he placed her backpack to distract LE from his direction. There were some on this board who predicted that. However, he hid her other body parts under his house. Why would he so openly "dispose" of her torso, to be found? Honestly, I think if he had hidden everything, they may still be looking for Jessica and he wouldn't have drawn attention to himself. Therefore, this tells me that it may have been his first human murder. I think he started acting weird, and couldn't handle it anymore, which is why he confessed to his Mom. The other thing that makes me think this is that he claimed that just killing her didn't give him the thrill that he thought it would, so he took it further.

I know, for some reason I do not think he did that act in open space either.

Imo, Austin R. Sigg, left home that morning of October 05/2012 with the intentions of abducting and murdering a child. It is doubtful that he would have had the necessary tools available to carry out the abduction unless preplanned including an abduction/rape kit.

RE: The source says Sigg told police he drove by Jessica Ridgeway on the morning of October 5, turned his car around and grabbed her. He brought her into the car where he hog-tied her and then he strangled her to death.

First of all I want to say I am very overjoyed that this alleged killer is off the streets. I would love to say that Colorado can breath easier. However, can we ever really breath easier? Anywhere?

I feel very sad for all victims in this case, (Jessica, her entire family and friends, children that were in her classes, the mother that turned in Sig, and his little brother). The damage that this has done to so many is overwhelming.

I have felt for some time that this was not motivated as a sex crime. I am waiting to see how it pans out. I honestly believe if it was sexual in nature it was not in any sense we see in normal sex crimes. (not that any are normal) I think this is going to be so twisted. In my opinion Jessica was more of a specimen to the perp. I am not going into details of where my mind is on this. I am in "wait and see mode".

If he did hot tie her, which I believe he did, I bet he used zip ties due to the ability to move fast and very effective. I do believe Jessica was probably unconscious due to a chemical soaked rag. However, if he did strangle her while unconscious, why hogtie her. I think to every lie there is a bit of truth. I fear the suffering that will come out that this child went through and it truly shivers me to my core.

I feel compassion for the killer only so far as I know what its like to be in a broken home. I know what its like to be bullied. I also know what its like to not fit in as you are different. But.... that is where I draw the line. Once he crossed that bridge and became an evil person, I can no longer feel any pity for him now.

May Jessica rest in peace, and her family find a way to go on and have some happiness in their future. :(

Regarding the parts bolded by me....

I also agree that he probably used some chemical. I invision that he grabbed her rather quickly and that there was no scream. He likely hog tied her because perhaps he didn't intend to kill her right then and there. Maybe he felt that he'd have to take her elsewhere, then he was just overcome with his excitement and did it anyway. He may have hogtied her b/c that was a part of his "plan". However, he may have quickly realized that no one was around, so he strangled her.

As for her suffering, I HAVE to believe (because anything else is too difficult to imagine) that she didn't suffer much. I keep telling myself that she was likely unconscious while being hog tied and while being strangled. I hope she just "died in her sleep". It sounds to me as though he was more infatuated with death, rather than with murder. I don't get the feeling that he necessarily enjoyed hearing someone scream (or he wouldn't have done this on a neighborhood street), not watching them writhe in fear or agony. I think he was infatuated with the dead body. Therefore, he killed her. When looking at her dead body didn't produce enough "thrill", he moved on. I HAVE to believe that she was completely dead by the time that process began.

I've heard that Colorado is pretty strict with no-cameras rule and gag orders. For those of you who are following James Holmes' case, how much information has been coming out? I feel like Denver media will try to obtain information just as hard in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox