CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish instead of spending huge amounts on prison, this society would spend the money up front.

There is plenty of research that shows what kinds of home lives indicate that a child will have issues . If a juvenile is arrested, the whole family should go into counseling. If a parent is arrested for DUI, the whole family should go into counseling. If the father is arrested, the whole family should go in for counseling.

Parenting and child development should be taught in school every year. Class sizes should be smaller (the well to do pay thousands of dollars a year on their small class size private schools)

There are so many things that we could do to make this a better world instead of putting chips into our children and keeping them in a bubble.

I almost wonder if he didn't - in his immature mind - think that by leaving part of her where it could be found that he thought the search would subside. He may have thought that if they knew she was no longer alive and even suspected wild animals were to blame, that the search would stop and he would be off the hook.

He may have been so intent on possessing a body that he didn't think farther down the road to the fact that there would be a monumental search for his victim, and then when the entire area became paralyzed while DNA swabs were taken, homes were searched, etc., he felt the need to do something to stop the frenzy as a last-ditch effort to possibly remain anonymous.

wowitsdark, imo, Austin Reed Sigg, had a preplanned safe haven to carry out his evil fantasies. He had likely preplanned his next abduction since the failed May 2012 attempt on the adult female jogger.
Sigg's would not have predicted the tremendous amount of law enforcement resources brought in on the investigation, nor the Awareness and community involvement in Jessica Ridgeway's abduction, imo.
Jessica Ridgeway has touched folks from all across Colorado, the US & beyond...

I wish instead of spending huge amounts on prison, this society would spend the money up front.

There is plenty of research that shows what kinds of home lives indicate that a child will have issues . If a juvenile is arrested, the whole family should go into counseling. If a parent is arrested for DUI, the whole family should go into counseling. If the father is arrested, the whole family should go in for counseling.

Parenting and child development should be taught in school every year. Class sizes should be smaller (the well to do pay thousands of dollars a year on their small class size private schools)

There are so many things that we could do to make this a better world instead of putting chips into our children and keeping them in a bubble.

The Dna Revolution - A Vision Of The Future Three Billion Dollar Genetic Study -

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=billion+dollary+genetic+study+predict+sociopathic+behavior&rlz=1C1RNPM_enUS399&oq=billion+dollary+genetic+study+predict+sociopathic+behavior&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8"]billion dollary genetic study predict sociopathic behavior - Google Search[/ame]
He studied law at Harvard and Columbia Universities. ... scientists from many countries, and cost approximately three billion dollars. ... Despite an inability to predict the course of the human genome project ... Genes would play a larger role in determining the propensities of behavior and the scope of criminal responsibility

BBM...
I'm in NO WAY condoning what he did, I'm just looking at it biologically/neurologically-- as the brains functions and ability to repair itself, etc fascinate me...

With that said-- when asking why he did some illogical things we have to keep in mind research shows the frontal lobe doesn't fully mature until approximately age 25-- hence why 'teenagers/early 20's' (males in particular) do extremely risky and 'dumb' things. The frontal lobe is where the ability to understand probable consequences from action as well as the difference in good and bad actions comes from. It's also responsible for suppressing unacceptable social responses.

Add to that any chance of mental health or other disorders/disabilities and anything is possible... someone also said something about his facial features indicating a possible TBI-- organically this kid may have never stood a chance of being 'typical'.

I don't have the links to all of this, was learned from speaking to my DS's neurologist... and asking "Why does he do (fill in the blank w/stupid stunt)" So consider it my MOO :moo::moo:

That does all make sense. And mostly, what I was thinking was that an adult psychopath with more 'maturity' would probably have seen enough in life to know that finding a body (or parts of a body) wouldn't be the end of it. The older one gets, the more they understand how things will progress. If he thought he could just cover it up by creating the impression that wild animals were responsible, he was sorely mistaken.

I think the technology issue can be answered with good ole fashioned parenting.

Use of the iPad, cell phone, laptop etc... is a privilege that comes with responsibility. It is not your cell phone instead it belongs to the family, if you do not follow the rules then you may not use it. Of course, if I can't trust you with the cell phone then you will also lose other privledges bc you won't be able to go to specific places or events bc we will not be able to communicate with each other (pay phones are hard to find and I'm a nervous nelly). I realize that laptop is a vital tool for your studies however if you cannot follow my rules and I can't trust you, then you may use the family desktop or go to the library.

Essentially, parents need to be tough, raise their expectations, be involved, and recognize that while letting technology babysit a child is easier for the parent in the short term the long term results are much more difficult to deal with.

It's like anything, as you earn my trust your freedom increases. However, when you break that trust there are consequences even if it's less convenient for both of us.

"Rope could be in the backseat floorboard-- and zipties could be stored in the glove box... my dad always had some in the console of his truck so he could grab them quickly if he needed them, (for farming purposes-- NOT abductions)"

You've touched on one of the things that is so disturbing about this case. We all want to know how to prevent this kind of tragedy and looking for clues in people's behavior is something we're all interested in. Some of the activities and signs this perp was into are also practiced by people who would never have any urge to do something so horrible. I keep a rope and knife in my Jeep. Why? I do activities such as hiking, kayaking, camping and cycling and sometimes I'm alone in remote areas and these are good survival tools (I also have candles, matches, signal mirror, space blanket, compass, extra flashlight, extra batteries, glow sticks, first aid kit, etc.) I like books about forensic science. Why? Because I like the intellectual stimulation of imagining how to solve the mystery. I have no desire to see a real dead body or make someone dead. I want the perps caught. I cry when animals die, even ones I don't know. I would never hurt one, I'm the type who rescues baby birds and injured wildlife. I am not interested in being in the death care industry but I've had to see a lot of relatives buried and I appreciate the service they do and their kindness and professionalism has helped me a great deal. I'd hate to see someone who is interested in that profession for the right reasons be suspected of terrible urges without cause. I guess the line between healthy and not healthy has been mysterious for centuries and will always be so, but I hope science can help us learn more and more and maybe we'll get better at prevention. I hope so.

BBM

This goes wayyyy past a kid with issues. JMO, of course, I am not sure there is ANY thing that could rehabilitate this type of person....before or after.

While I do appreciate your thoughts on this, from my perspective, this really won't do a lot to fix things. There are millions of children, sadly, living in poor home conditions, broken families, acting out at school, etc., who don't become like A.S. did. My guess is that it would cost as much to attempt to create a program to 'fix' all of the children in those situations, given the sheer number of families who fall into that category.

People like AS are, I fear, the types of people who were going to become this way regardless of family dynamics. I think he has a deep-seated mental problem that has probably always been there. Certainly, his home life (dad a mess, etc.) didn't help, but I think he may have been genetically 'programmed' in such a way that family counseling could not have mitigated.

I have to wonder if AS was fantasizing about being some sort of Dexter character, where he was a murderer, but wanted a career as a serial murderer investigator. I truly believe that he expected to get away with it.

I think that when the description of Jessica's murderer came out as a 5'6"-5'8" brown haired male that probably lived in Westminster, who was connected to attacks in Ketner Park, and who lost a cross at the murder scene, AS's mother had no choice but to ask him about his cross. I think those conversations eventually led to the point where AS gave responses that told his mother that he was responsible.

The Dna Revolution - A Vision Of The Future Three Billion Dollar Genetic Study -

billion dollary genetic study predict sociopathic behavior - Google Search
He studied law at Harvard and Columbia Universities. ... scientists from many countries, and cost approximately three billion dollars. ... Despite an inability to predict the course of the human genome project ... Genes would play a larger role in determining the propensities of behavior and the scope of criminal responsibility

the article does not say that genes have been found to predict criminal behavior. It says IF they do, what will happen

I have worked with families and children for 30 years. So what? I have seen 100% of the time what dysfunctional has done to families and children.

Smaller issues to bigger issues. No one is perfect and we all have our family issues to learn from as we mature into adults.

WESTMINSTER - Austin Reed Sigg, the Westminster 17-year-old arrested in the abduction and killing of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, is described as a shy, loner who's won awards in student crime scene investigation competitions.
"He was very quiet, shy and to himself. I would say he was Gothic," said Brooke Olds, who has known Sigg for about nine years. "He never really talked about his family or his friends. Like, all he talked about was playing or spending time with us. He always wanted, just, to play capture the flag."

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/...ct-new-details-on-the-westminster-17-year-old

There have been instances of even younger killers murdering children than this 17 yr old.

I recall one case maybe 10 or so years ago in which the perp was all of 10 yrs old and he lured an even younger child into the woods and killed them because he wanted to see what it would be like.

And there are other examples of younger perps (younger than 17 for sure), but I don't have time to Google them.

This is not the first time by far, it won't be the last time (unfortunately), and these crimes are such anomalies that I don't think there's any one cause that can be pinpointed with an "Aha!" Video games, anime, violent movies or whatever are not going to answer the question of "how" and "why." It's much too complex and probably an individual thing that is a mix of brain chemistry, emotional, physical, environmental, etc.

The only way to ensure a child doesn't get abducted is to make sure that child is never alone where they can be abducted.

A pair of 10 year olds

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger"]Murder of James Bulger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

They were jailed for a minimum of 10 years, but this was appealed and reduced to 8. They were released shortly after 8 years but Venables, arguably the ring leader, is back inside with an indefinite term.

Their victim was shopping with his mother in a busy town centre when he was abducted pretty much from under her nose :(

wowitsdark, imo, Austin Reed Sigg, had a preplanned safe haven to carry out his evil fantasies. He had likely preplanned his next abduction since the failed May 2012 attempt on the adult female jogger.
Sigg's would not have predicted the tremendous amount of law enforcement resources brought in on the investigation, nor the Awareness and community involvement in Jessica Ridgeway's abduction, imo.
Jessica Ridgeway has touched folks from all across Colorado, the US & beyond...

I agree.

I think he probably originally just assumed there would be some people looking for his victim, but that if he could stay off their radar long enough, it would hit 'cold case' status and he would be off the hook.

BBM...
I'm in NO WAY condoning what he did, I'm just looking at it biologically/neurologically-- as the brains functions and ability to repair itself, etc fascinate me...

With that said-- when asking why he did some illogical things we have to keep in mind research shows the frontal lobe doesn't fully mature until approximately age 25-- hence why 'teenagers/early 20's' (males in particular) do extremely risky and 'dumb' things. The frontal lobe is where the ability to understand probable consequences from action as well as the difference in good and bad actions comes from. It's also responsible for suppressing unacceptable social responses.

Add to that any chance of mental health or other disorders/disabilities and anything is possible... someone also said something about his facial features indicating a possible TBI-- organically this kid may have never stood a chance of being 'typical'.

I don't have the links to all of this, was learned from speaking to my DS's neurologist... and asking "Why does he do (fill in the blank w/stupid stunt)" So consider it my MOO :moo::moo:

Supporting info can be found in the link in my signature.:seeya:

Also, "hi" from a fellow brain-obsessed poster!

10:07 eastern. what's happening at court? I have the live link up but nothing but those gorgeous mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark