GUILTY CT - John Regan for kidnapping, rape, Waterbury, 2004

Moe said:
Agreed, I think we are seeing the tip of a huge iceberg here. Regan chose the wrong girl to go after, Saratoga Springs track and field teams boast some of the best in the country. This atempted abduction happened less than a mile from my house, when all the kids were trick or treating. If Reagan is responsible for other crimes, I hope he confesses and saves families the anguish of a trial. Thank goodness the girl was able to get away, I believe she would have met the same fate as Molly Bish.
Well it sounds like he liked athletic girls... and Maura Murray was an athlete too... I think they need to definitely look into him for her death!

PrayersForMaura said:
Well it sounds like he liked athletic girls... and Maura Murray was an athlete too... I think they need to definitely look into him for her death!

I knew you'd find this thread interesting.

fran

fran said:
I wish we knew his screen name. :confused:

fran
I'm sure we can do some sleuthing on him.
With all the stuff we found on Raven Abaroa, Duncan, and Ben Fawley/Taylor Behl, there's got to be some stuff on this guy.

I'll do some surfing tonight. We have some great sleuthers around here ... we need to round up the troops!

I have found several articles about this guy on Yahoo News. It seems that LE is trying to investigate him quietly as they feel that if he gets too high profile, potential witnesses will be afraid to come forward. So for anyone who's interested, they have formed a task force, JUST FOR HIM!!

JMHO
fran

This is from a Nov.6,2005 article.

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=29926

While Regan's DNA has not been linked with any other crimes, authorities in New England and New York still believe he may have a more extensive -- and serious -- criminal past. That's because of the nature of his arrest last week, combined with the existing allegations in the three pending Waterbury cases.

Waterbury Police Superintendent Neil O'Leary and Waterbury State's Attorney John Connelly formed a task force Friday that aims to track Regan for the past 20 years. Along with O'Leary and Connelly, the task force includes two assistant state's attorneys, two detectives and a police lieutenant.

Regan, the married father of three from a prominent Waterbury family, worked for years as a traveling salesman.

The task force wants to determine if he committed crimes in any of the places he traveled.

"He fits the profile of, at the very least, a serial rapist," O'Leary said. "His actions since 1993 are consistent with a stereotypical sex offender."

O'Leary said he will make Regan's DNA profile available to any law enforcement agency that requests it.

I still can't believe they nabbed this guy right down the street from my home. We are a tourist town, aside from some problems down down at the bars, we have very little crime. Everytime something like this happens you hear folks say that, but it sure is different when it is your town.

Moe said:
I still can't believe they nabbed this guy right down the street from my home. We are a tourist town, aside from some problems down down at the bars, we have very little crime. Everytime something like this happens you hear folks say that, but it sure is different when it is your town.

Moe:
It is enough to creep you out, isn't it? People live in exclusive areas or small towns and they think they're immune to this type of thing. But these guys travel on purpose. They go to different jurisdictions, therefore it's harder for LE to figure out it's a 'serial' type thing.

I live in an area that has lots of developments that have gated security entrances. You'd think they were immune from 'serial killers.' But I just learned a year or so ago, that the 'original night stalker' actually committed one of his crimes here, murdering a young doctor and his wife in their home in just one of these communities. He went from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and it wasn't until dna came out that they linked several crimes, up and down the state together. Heck, it wasn't until just a few short years ago that they linked the 'original night stalker' case to more than 50 rapes in Northern California. BTW, he's never been caught.

hmmmm.......wonder if this guy was in California during his younger days? :p
Now I'm reallllyyyy stretching it!! ;)

JMHO
fran

http://www.mollybish.org/

http://www.unsolved.com/0242-Bish.html

If you compare the composite on the second site with the picture of the POI in the first site, I don't think it's him. The suspect description said dark hair and this guy's hair looks light.

On the other hand, they need to look at him for other crimes. I don't think he's just done the few they have him for now. That's why they formed a 'task force,' just for him.

IMO, they'll bring up more cases, just watch.

JMHO
fran

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/headlines/?ArID=158469&SecID=33

According to the Times Union, a grand jury could hand up an indictment against John Regan so.

Regan was arrested Halloween night after police said he tried to force a 17-year-old cross country runner into his car. The student fought back and was able to get away.

Police said there are more charges pending against Regan in Connecticut.

IMHO,.............remember this guy's name. We're going to be hearing more about him in the future. :mad:

JMHO
fran

I think your one hundred percent correct! This will be a trial I can actually go to, and I plan on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/n...l=1&adxnnlx=1133187053-pNWbTSkZTW5sC1rCeyBV2w

John F. Regan had been out on bail for a year when a concerned photo clerk at the Walgreens on West Main Street called the police earlier this fall.

In the weeks since, local and F.B.I. investigators in Connecticut, New York and Massachusetts have been examining whether Mr. Regan might have links to several unsolved sex crimes and murders reaching back nearly two decades. Parents of long-missing young women have expressed cautious hope that a suspect might finally be in custody.

But so far, for all the attention and suspicion, no evidence has surfaced, some investigators say.

Mr. Regan is now in custody at the Central New York Psychiatric Center near Utica after he attempted suicide this month while in jail in Saratoga Springs. While the Waterbury police portray him as a dangerous man, he has steadfastly maintained his innocence through his lawyers.

Mr. Regan was first arrested in the summer of 2004 on an unlawful restraint charge. He is accused of trying to force a co-worker in her early 20's to have sex with him on a back porch at his parents' house while they were away.

The publicized details of the arrest in Saratoga Springs, coupled with the charges Mr. Regan already faced in Connecticut, prompted a broader investigation of his life.

The Waterbury police say they are also investigating whether Mr. Regan was involved in two murders, in the late 1980's, of prostitutes who worked not far from where Mr. Regan lived.

In New York, the parents of Suzanne Lyall, a student at the State University of New York at Albany when she disappeared from a shopping mall in 1998, have asked the state police to revisit her case. In Massachusetts, where Mr. Regan sometimes traveled when he was a salesman for ABC Supply, the parents of Molly Bish, who was 16 when she disappeared in 2000 from Warren, near Worcester, said elements of the Saratoga Springs case paralleled their daughter's disappearance.

But John J. Conte, the district attorney in Worcester, who is investigating the Bish case, said last week that his office had confirmed that Mr. Regan was not in the area the day Molly disappeared, June 27, 2000. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/n...l=1&adxnnlx=1133187053-pNWbTSkZTW5sC1rCeyBV2w

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=158773

Regan indicted on attempted kidnapping charge

An indictment has been handed up against a Connecticut man accused of attempting to kidnap a local high school student.

A grand jury has indicted John Regan, 49, on a charge of second-degree attempted kidnapping.

...........According to this article there are still more charges pending against this guy. I understand there is a task force investigating his past twenty years. I still think we're going to be seeing more of this guy. :behindbar

JMHO
fran

A photo of suspect John F. Regan taken by Saratogian Chief Photographer Rick Gargiulo appeared Monday in The New York Times. Tuesday night, Saratogian reporter Jim Kinney discussed the case on CNN's Nancy Grace show.

Kinney, who has covered county news and major crimes for The Saratogian since 1997, has reported on the attempted abduction since it happened Oct. 31. In the latest news, a grand jury on Monday indicted Regan on charges of attempted kidnapping.

On the Nancy Grace show Tuesday night, it was noted that police in three states are reviewing unsolved sex and murder cases going back to the 1980s to see if Regan could have been involved. Waterbury Police Chief Neil O'Leary and others commented that while he must be presumed innocent, he could be a serial killer/serial rapist.

'He's the classic case of a double life,' O'Leary said on CNN.

Regan's travel records are <>being researched, and his home computer has been seized for examination. His home and his parents' home were searched, the police chief said.
http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15663045&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6

A Saratoga County grand jury indicted a Connecticut man Monday in connection with the attempted kidnapping of a Saratoga Springs High School girl following her cross-country team practice last month.

John F. Regan, 49, of Waterbury, Conn., was indicted on a single count of second-degree attempted kidnapping, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years. Regan is expected to be arraigned next week in Saratoga County Court. Regan also faces criminal charges in his hometown and is the subject of a three-state investigation to determine whether he may be involved in similar abductions.
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/st...gory=SARATOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=11/29/2005

It took the MSM long enough to get hold of this story. I'm telling you, this guy didn't just start to commit. He's been cruisin' for awhile.

JMHO
fran

mysteriew said:
MurrayDwyer sent me this article. It is from Nov. 1, but it tells the story of the first known rape. That woman has gone through h*!! since her rape! She was victiimized by the police dept. and the media also!

http://www.waterburyobserver.com/worxcms_published/news_51.shtml
mugshots of Regan at link

What an incredible story. Thanks for giving us this insight. It shows the dilemma over and over about rape victims/and /or abuse victims going forward. It also shows the heart of people who never give up. If it wasn't for certain people stepping up to the plate and showing we can make a difference some of these crimes would go unnoticed forever. Bless all of you that do step up to the plate. This is such a good place to be for answers.And a good place to be for people who seek them.

Thank you mysteriew, for the link to that article. The link below is from that one. I've bookmarked their site. It seems they're going to be a good source for information on John Regan.

From day 1 that I heard of this guy, I knew he was going to be linked to many, many disappearances and rapes. We have links in this thread to earlier discussions of the many, many unsolved murders and disappearances in the region this guy traveled. Who knows, we never connected NY to this guy (Connecticut and New Hampshire),....... the net widens. How many other states has he traveled?

In the end, I think we may need to have a section just for John Regan, as his victims come forward, as his crimes are revealed.

Thank the Lord this detective had the perseverance to continue to follow leads on this case from so many years ago. If it hadn't been for him, this guy may have gotten away with yet another crime.

Now I'm off to see what Moe found.

JMHO
fran

http://www.waterburyobserver.com/worxcms_published/news_54.shtml

A terrifying incident on Halloween night destroyed John Regan's mask of innocence, and revealed the monster that lurked beneath.

As darkness descended upon Halloween, a month before his kidnapping trial in Waterbury was to begin, Regan was arrested in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. and charged with trying to abduct a 17 year old high school girl from the school parking lot.

Waterbury Police Chief, Neil O'Leary, who broke the case last year by connecting dots separated by an 11 year span, talked to the Observer the day after the latest arrest. He said Regan had removed the back seat of his van in Saratoga Springs, laid down a blue tarp, and had pre-knotted ropes waiting to secure his victim.

In addition, sources have confirmed that the ropes were tied in a noose and Regan had a shovel in the van with him.
It is not unreasonable to conclude that John Regan was intent on raping, killing and burying his young 17 year old victim

O'Leary, who immediately dispatched three Waterbury detectives to Saratoga Springs, said Regan had been in New York for two weeks working at a relative's construction project. O'Leary said Regan had probably stalked the girl because of the way he had positioned his van for the attack. The sliding door was positioned right next to the driver's door. When the student, a cross country star on one of the premiere teams in the country, went to open her door after practice, Regan is accused of opening the sliding door of his van, grabbing her by the waist, covering her mouth, and attempting to drag her into the van.
"She bit, screamed, yelled and kicked him," O'Leary said. "He yelled at her to stop. Thank God she got away."

Regan was confronted by two teachers and is accused of jumping back in his van and fleeing the scene. A coach and parent pursued the van in their cars. They called the police on cell phones and the van was stopped minutes later and Regan was arrested. "It is horrific what happened to that child," O'Leary said. "Thankfully she was not physically hurt. But the fact that this happened strengthens the case back here in Waterbury." O'Leary said that the Waterbury police had received a tip about Regan several weeks ago which sparked a new police investigation. A photo technician at a local lab was processing film and he noticed all the images were of women who were unaware that they were being photographed. He saw that the film was sent in by John Regan and recognized that the customer had been charged with kidnapping and assaulting women in greater Waterbury. Security personnel for the store contacted the Waterbury police department. The women had been photographed as they jogged and worked out along a sev eral mile stretch of a bicycle path through the woods in Cheshire. In most of the images of the women, sources confirmed, they were wearing shorts and tight fitting athletic attire. Other images on the rolls of film were of a former co-worker that Regan was accused of assaulting last summer. Police have said that the woman was unaware that Regan had been stalking her. After Regan was arrested in New York, the Waterbury Police Department got a warrant to search his house on Euclid Avenue and removed additional photographic images. Waterbury police have charged Regan with stalking, and in the near future he will be arraigned back in Connecticut.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleCrimeOnThePrairie
Back