FBI - Serial Killers Among Us: There is No Set Profile

I think the title of this thread about sums it up and there is no set pattern but here is a recent report about Serial Killers. I think the answer to the question is no and the offspring of killers can have a conscience their parent does not have:

Does Being Raised by a Serial Killer Make You More Likely to Become One?

There are other factors such as animalities in the brain and violence in upbringings that need to be looked at. Society can only try to be a good one and I do not think it can eliminate itself of Serial Killers and just try to catch them when they occur.

I think the title of this thread about sums it up and there is no set pattern but here is a recent report about Serial Killers. I think the answer to the question is no and the offspring of killers can have a conscience their parent does not have:

Does Being Raised by a Serial Killer Make You More Likely to Become One?

There are other factors such as animalities in the brain and violence in upbringings that need to be looked at. Society can only try to be a good one and I do not think it can eliminate itself of Serial Killers and just try to catch them when they occur.

Just want to add to me it appears psychopathic tendencies can be fairly common amongst people. There were a group of trolls on a crime message board that to me displayed some of these tendencies heaping abuse on a very young murder victim and in the country I come from I have heard of people taking pictures on phones and shouting jump when someone was on a building contemplating jumping off to commit suicide. This is not most people of course and that in my opinion is what makes the world bearable most of the time but there is more of it about than you might think and of course there are many crimes on this website.

Given the tendency of serial killers to insert themselves into investigations of their crimes, I would be extremely surprised if some serial killer(s) weren't following this site.

Just want to add to me it appears psychopathic tendencies can be fairly common amongst people. There were a group of trolls on a crime message board that to me displayed some of these tendencies heaping abuse on a very young murder victim and in the country I come from I have heard of people taking pictures on phones and shouting jump when someone was on a building contemplating jumping off to commit suicide. This is not most people of course and that in my opinion is what makes the world bearable most of the time but there is more of it about than you might think and of course there are many crimes on this website.

Most people have personality disorders traits. Most people don't kill for pleasure even if they are sociopaths. They steal, lie, cheat and sometimes that works in business or society. These people still want to fit in on some level. They say groups make it easier for people to feel like they can commit a crime if people around them are supporting it. Like harassing a suicidal person instead of getting help. It makes you wonder if the person would behave differently without the support of others or would they urge the other person to jump. Is one behavior better than the other?
It kind of reminds me of these studies where people listen to authority figures or follow their peers even if they are abusing classmates.
https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html
https://www.simplypsychology.org/zimbardo.html

Most people have personality disorders traits. Most people don't kill for pleasure even if they are sociopaths. They steal, lie, cheat and sometimes that works in business or society. These people still want to fit in on some level. They say groups make it easier for people to feel like they can commit a crime if people around them are supporting it. Like harassing a suicidal person instead of getting help. It makes you wonder if the person would behave differently without the support of others or would they urge the other person to jump. Is one behavior better than the other?
It kind of reminds me of these studies where people listen to authority figures or follow their peers even if they are abusing classmates.
https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html
https://www.simplypsychology.org/zimbardo.html

Interesting articles I have often wondered how Hitler managed to get so many people to follow his orders and it has relevance to the way people behave in the above situations. I liked this series Most Evil which had some scientific experiments in like the ones mentioned above. One of which is how people reacted when they were told other people were against them. In the episode below it discusses possible issues with the brain that makes people commit evil acts:

Most Evil - Wikipedia

His 22 point scale of evil used to make me smile for some reason. I have a suspect in cases who I feel would be a number 22:

Interesting articles I have often wondered how Hitler managed to get so many people to follow his orders and it has relevance to the way people behave in the above situations. I liked this series Most Evil which had some scientific experiments in like the ones mentioned above. One of which is how people reacted when they were told other people were against them. In the episode below it discusses possible issues with the brain that makes people commit evil acts:

Most Evil - Wikipedia

His 22 point scale of evil used to make me smile for some reason. I have a suspect in cases who I feel would be a number 22:

Of course abnormalities within the brain to not explain why whole groups of people or countries show what might be termed psychopathic tendencies mentioned in the posts above. Interesting subject. When you look at the world it is far from perfect and this is the world serial killers come from. Of course in the natural world you might have a lionesses that trys to kill other lionesses cubs. Just want to add you could argue that violence is part of the human make up. For instance catching prey is violent and this is in conflict with humans development of civilised societies with law and order.

Last edited:

Most Evil - Wikipedia

As I say the scale makes me smile as it is a bit subjective and the result of any murder is much the same for the victim but I know where he is coming from and there are valid points about different types of crimes. Of course Joe Kenda says on his program Homicide Hunter everyone is capable of murder given the right trigger and he should know. Hopefully that actor who plays him and you think is him will never actually get into bed with his wife;) Anyone got a scale that goes up to the number 52. Very interesting subject as Hitler was a very evil man and a serial killer who hoodwinked a nation in a way.

Given the tendency of serial killers to insert themselves into investigations of their crimes, I would be extremely surprised if some serial killer(s) weren't following this site.

That makes sense in this digital age.

Always talking about Hitler and the Germans in the WWII...
Of course Adolf Hitler did many cruel and despicable things but...what about "our" then POTUS Truman? He "dropped the bomb" (2 nice nukes...) on 2 town full of children, women, people in hospitals...
How Truman managed to get so many people to follow this evil order? There was not even a logical military reason...pure cruelty... :cool:

Of course abnormalities within the brain to not explain why whole groups of people or countries show what might be termed psychopathic tendencies mentioned in the posts above. Interesting subject. When you look at the world it is far from perfect and this is the world serial killers come from. Of course in the natural world you might have a lionesses that trys to kill other lionesses cubs. Just want to add you could argue that violence is part of the human make up. For instance catching prey is violent and this is in conflict with humans development of civilised societies with law and order.

Survival for humans depended on violence at times. You had to protect yourself from other humans and animals that were a threat or prey. You couldn't be like, "don't kill that deer" if you wanted food. History is filled with war and violence that we see today as barbaric.

Always talking about Hitler and the Germans in the WWII...
Of course Adolf Hitler did many cruel and despicable things but...what about "our" then POTUS Truman? He "dropped the bomb" (2 nice nukes...) on 2 town full of children, women, people in hospitals...
How Truman managed to get so many people to follow this evil order? There was not even a logical military reason...pure cruelty... :cool:

People like propaganda.

Survival for humans depended on violence at times. You had to protect yourself from other humans and animals that were a threat or prey. You couldn't be like, "don't kill that deer" if you wanted food. History is filled with war and violence that we see today as barbaric.

Agree with you. These previous behaviours must still be present to a degree and fit into want is termed civilised society. I would argue the world is less violent in previous era's but is you look at the news there is still a lot of it about. Of course is some of these cases on this board we have people removing a love rival which is a primal instinct even the most intellectual could be susceptible to:

Disgraced astronaut Lisa Nowak, who attacked love rival, is booted out of the Navy | Daily Mail Online

Agree with you. These previous behaviours must still be present to a degree and fit into want is termed civilised society. I would argue the world is less violent in previous era's but is you look at the news there is still a lot of it about. Of course is some of these cases on this board we have people removing a love rival which is a primal instinct even the most intellectual could be susceptible to:

Disgraced astronaut Lisa Nowak, who attacked love rival, is booted out of the Navy | Daily Mail Online

Serial Killers are slightly different of course preying on strangers with no conscience and I think this is why people are fascinated with them because they cannot understand their behaviour despite the fact they are of course a product of the same society. There motives are much more primal and without human emotion which is opposite to the case I posted about above.

Serial Killers are slightly different of course preying on strangers with no conscience and I think this is why people are fascinated with them because they cannot understand their behaviour despite the fact they are of course a product of the same society. There motives are much more primal and without human emotion which is opposite to the case I posted about above.
Serial Killers would have thrived in war, taking advantage of chaos. Especially when war wasn't a choice it was part of life back in the day way back. It's like the wiring in their brains is off. They want to hunt people, they're aroused by murder and violence. Is that nature and nurture? Is it one or the other. I think people canon some level understand a crime of passion or rage targeted at people they know. A stranger it's like how do you predict it? Not dating an or someone abusive, or putting yourself in dangerous situations are things you can control. We want to be able to have some control and Serial Killers are people but they are playing by different rules. Does that make sense?

Serial Killers would have thrived in war, taking advantage of chaos. Especially when war wasn't a choice it was part of life back in the day way back. It's like the wiring in their brains is off. They want to hunt people, they're aroused by murder and violence. Is that nature and nurture? Is it one or the other. I think people canon some level understand a crime of passion or rage targeted at people they know. A stranger it's like how do you predict it? Not dating an ******* or someone abusive, or putting yourself in dangerous situations are things you can control. We want to be able to have some control and Serial Killers are people but they are playing by different rules. Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. I agree people can understand crimes of passion and rage because they are emotions we all have. It is Serial Killers motive of enjoyment of killing and lack of emparthy that fascinates the public. Of course I do not have all the answers more than anyone else but I feel Serial Killers are part of nature but lack of nurture might help to trigger them. I can again think of one killer who served in Vietnam as a very young man. It did not shatter him though he found he liked it and liked killing people and this was I believe his trigger. Thanks for your thoughts.

Makes sense to me. I agree people can understand crimes of passion and rage because they are emotions we all have. It is Serial Killers motive of enjoyment of killing and lack of emparthy that fascinates the public. Of course I do not have all the answers more than anyone else but I feel Serial Killers are part of nature but lack of nurture might help to trigger them. I can again think of one killer who served in Vietnam as a very young man. It did not shatter him though he found he liked it and liked killing people and this was I believe his trigger. Thanks for your thoughts.

The other thing about some serial killers is that they seem to be able to live double lives. They seem to be good liars. If pulled over with a body in the car or their ID that is on a wanted list or a dead man's they will talk their way into a warning. I would think it would hard to never slip up when talking to a spouse or friend not about killing, but the details of where you were, who you met.
It seems like a lot of effort to be a killer.

The other thing about some serial killers is that they seem to be able to live double lives. They seem to be good liars. If pulled over with a body in the car or their ID that is on a wanted list or a dead man's they will talk their way into a warning. I would think it would hard to never slip up when talking to a spouse or friend not about killing, but the details of where you were, who you met.
It seems like a lot of effort to be a killer.

I think also what it shows is you can never truly work out what is going on in another persons mind even if you are close to them. Of course most human beings are pretty nice even if they are different than you and are not Serial Killers or criminals and are capable of good acts and kindness and you can get a reasonable idea of how they will behave. This board though is testament to the other side of human nature and behaviour. We all have the odd thing we have done we might not even tell our loved ones even if it is not that bad really. Serial Killers though can keep vile secrets and lead double lives.

I think also what it shows is you can never truly work out what is going on in another persons mind even if you are close to them. Of course most human beings are pretty nice even if they are different than you and are not Serial Killers or criminals and are capable of good acts and kindness and you can get a reasonable idea of how they will behave. This board though is testament to the other side of human nature and behaviour. We all have the odd thing we have done we might not even tell our loved ones even if it is not that bad really. Serial Killers though can keep vile secrets and lead double lives.

Socio and psychopaths can mimic emotion and and get good at knowing what works on others, I think. I would rather believe that I can trust a person until they give me a reason not to. The A-holes of the world you don't always see coming but for one of them there are 10 decent people at least. I'm not changing my life because of any sociopathic d*ck, serial kill or basic style. Locking doors I will agree to.

An interesting article from an unusual source: Modern Life Has Made It Easier for Serial Killers to Thrive

An interesting discussion of the most basic question: Just how many serial killers are running loose in America? 2,100? 4,000? Who knows?

I just want to make a point about human society and violence and of course Serial Killers are human beings (stating the obvious but I think this is one of the reasons by people are fascinated by them and of course the reason they are difficult to catch). Most people today are generally not that violent and are frightened of violence yet we have all this interest in horrible acts in the True Genre and how often is violence part of the entertainment they like to watch. It may be escapism but we have murder mysteries like Hart to Hart, cop programs like Cagney and Lacy, many thrillers and movies like Dirty Harry and of course Westerns and War Films that are about violent situations. How often did the lads have a punch up or gun fight in the Westerns or the Duke Boys have a punch up where no one got hurt. Still today we watch many films that involve violence even if it a film like Blank Panther.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back