FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

Seeing DR on the video, hearing him talking, probably everyone would say, "something is not right". I wonder how alexithymia plays in the situation of DR's obvious puberty, and being in a two-bedroom apartment with the mother who just gave birth to a baby? Could there be emerging Oedipal complex that this boy can not process and that finally drives him to kill? I doubt he can explain to himself why he did it. This could explain the surprising support of both sides of his family, because there probably is another side of him there, too, a boy that misses his mother. He obviously experiences all human emotions, he is afraid when the police arrives, and yet he appears strangely dissociated, I wonder if this is him all the time, or just a temporary fog?

IMO he seems calm in the video when saying that he sees officers and asking whether he should leave. He is not emotional.

My sense is that he lives highly in a fantasy world and not very connected to reality. Additionally he reacts to what's going on around him and doesn't really think his actions through.

However this describes many children and teenagers, even adults, so not sure where my point is going here.

IMO he seems calm in the video when saying that he sees officers and asking whether he should leave. He is not emotional.

My sense is that he lives highly in a fantasy world and not very connected to reality. Additionally he reacts to what's going on around him and doesn't really think his actions through.

However this describes many children and teenagers, even adults, so not sure where my point is going here.

Yes, he is the type to live in the fantasy world. But since, as you rightfully noticed, it describes many children, teenagers and adults, understanding what happened might be the key to prevention, this is how I am trying to view these scary, odd cases.

Although Derek Rosa did not attend, his family was at the courthouse during the hearing.

The family was joined by more than 50 supporters who showed up claiming the teen was innocent.

Many packed the courtroom to listen to the judge and attorneys address the case, and afterward chanted outside the courthouse.

At one point, several Miami-Dade police officers warned the crowd they needed to back away from the entrance and stand on the sidewalks.

When questioned if the supporters were associated with Rosa’s legal team, his attorney, Dayliset Rielo said they appreciate the love the family had been getting, but they are not affiliated with them.

Although Derek Rosa did not attend, his family was at the courthouse during the hearing.

The family was joined by more than 50 supporters who showed up claiming the teen was innocent.

Many packed the courtroom to listen to the judge and attorneys address the case, and afterward chanted outside the courthouse.

At one point, several Miami-Dade police officers warned the crowd they needed to back away from the entrance and stand on the sidewalks.

When questioned if the supporters were associated with Rosa’s legal team, his attorney, Dayliset Rielo said they appreciate the love the family had been getting, but they are not affiliated with them.
I don't understand their use of the term 'innocent' here. There is plenty of video evidence showing him calmly killing his mother as she was in her bed. How does the term innocent apply ?

We've not heard anything since February and I was hopeful this status hearing would result in information about whether or not the parties were closer to setting a date for the PH. Instead, it seems DR's 50+ supporters in attendance dominated the news and nothing about the hearing itself!

State Case No.:13-2023-CF-021321-0001-XXName:ROSA, DEREKDate of Birth:08/26/2010
Date Filed:10/26/2023
Hearing Date:05/29/2024Hearing Time:09:00Hearing Type:R

DOCKET:

DIN
DateBook/PageDocket
14904/19/2024REPORT RE: STATUS CONFERENCE SET FOR 05/29/2024 AT 09:00
14804/18/2024MOTION FOR PRE-TRIAL RELEASE EREK ROSAS MOTION TO SET REASONABLE CONDITIONS OF PRETRIALRE LEAS
14704/17/2024NOTICE OF INTENT TO SERVE SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM
14604/03/2024AMENDED DISCOVERY EXHIBIT
14404/02/2024NOTICE OF INTENT TO SERVE SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM
14303/15/2024LETTER RE: LETTERS OF SUPPORT FROM THE PUBLIC
14203/29/2024MTN TO COMPEL STATE ATTY TO COMPLY WITH DEMAND OF DISCOVERY
14003/27/2024REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 04/03/2024 AT 09:01
13803/18/2024NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION
13703/11/2024AMENDED DISCOVERY EXHIBIT
13602/26/2024ORDER GRANTING DEFENDANTS SECOND MOTION TO COMPEL INPART
13504/03/2024REPORT RE: STATUS CONFERENCE SET FOR 04/19/2024 AT 09:00
13402/20/2024REDACTED A-FORM
13302/16/2024AMENDED DISCOVERY EXHIBIT
13102/15/2024MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE FILED 02/15/2024 ORAL SET FOR 02/15/2024 AT 10:20 GRANTED DEFS

Pulled the docket for this case (see above) and it appears the defense filed a Motion on 4/18 seeking to set reasonable conditions for pre-trial release. This is unbelievable and wish MSM would have reported on this instead of his supporters.

With DR's fan club showing at status hearings, and letters of support arriving claiming the teen is innocent, how could DR not be considered a flight risk! JMO

Next status hearing set for 5/29/24.

Pulled the docket for this case (see above) and it appears the defense filed a Motion on 4/18 seeking to set reasonable conditions for pre-trial release. This is unbelievable and wish MSM would have reported on this instead of his supporters.

With DR's fan club showing at status hearings, and letters of support arriving claiming the teen is innocent, how could DR not be considered a flight risk! JMO

Next status hearing set for 5/29/24.
That is really frightening. WHERE would he stay?

Apparently many of his family members are supportive of him---would he stay with them?????

I hope his baby sister is somewhere FAR AWAY from wherever he will be staying.

If I was his Auntie or his grandma I don't think I could sleep a wink if he was out and free...

I don't understand their use of the term 'innocent' here. There is plenty of video evidence showing him calmly killing his mother as she was in her bed. How does the term innocent apply ?
Considering there was no one else in the house aside from him and his baby sister (unless they're claiming there was?), my guess would be they're using the word innocent to mean it was possibly some mental condition that forced his hand (literally) into repeatedly stabbing his mother until she was dead. Not that he didn't actually, physically stab her to death, but that the action wasn't his fault.

Which, in my mind, is a complete load of horse droppings but that's my guess.

jmo

To release this boy, and not force him into the treatment he so desperately needs, is enormously disrespectful of his mother, his step father and his little sister. His healthcare needs should override every other person's opinion, or definition, of innocence.

If he is so in need of mental healthcare that he's still locked up, how in the world would any caretaker sleep at night? What triggered him to murder his mother? What would prevent him from murdering a caretaker? JMO

If I’m not mistaken, I think they genuinely believe that he is innocent and that it is not him on the camera. I think at one point (not sure if they still are) accusing the stepfather as the one on camera. How awful is that!? Absolutely disgusting :( I feel terrible for the baby sister and step father

If I’m not mistaken, I think they genuinely believe that he is innocent and that it is not him on the camera. I think at one point (not sure if they still are) accusing the stepfather as the one on camera.

He and Step Dad look absolutely nothing alike. StepDad is much taller, much bulkier, nearly bald.

And Derek has confessed multiple times and not under duress, but calmly and voluntarily.
How awful is that!? Absolutely disgusting :( I feel terrible for the baby sister and step father
Yah, so his stepDad texted Derek's friend pretending to be him? :rolleyes:

And didn't Derek text a pic to the friend of the bloody knife?

ETA:
The teen is accused of stabbing his mother with a purple-handled knife 46 times while she slept next to her newborn baby, before sending bloody photos to a friend of his mother and his hands.

Last edited:
Considering there was no one else in the house aside from him and his baby sister (unless they're claiming there was?), my guess would be they're using the word innocent to mean it was possibly some mental condition that forced his hand (literally) into repeatedly stabbing his mother until she was dead. Not that he didn't actually, physically stab her to death, but that the action wasn't his fault.

Which, in my mind, is a complete load of horse droppings but that's my guess.

jmo

I can’t comment on the mental condition as we don’t know, but the whole situation resembled me of the Sermon on the Mount. “If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.”

We don’t know what Derek was doing on his computer, what was going on in his head. The reality was, he was living in a small apartment with his mom and her new husband, through mom’s new motherhood, childbirth and caring for the infant. I think that hitting puberty but being very immature, he experienced some feelings and impulses that he could neither process nor suppress. It is all very scary.

The stepfather is not to be blamed. He is the victim here. I suspect the only thing that could have saved Irina and Derek would have been one of the relatives hosting Derek in their house, at least, temporarily. However, for this, they needed to be aware of what was going on in Derek’s head.

I wonder if Derek could be viewed as the victim of the Internet, but I don’t have enough details to support my intuitive feeling.

Despite what LE knows, I worry that all this family's delusion/ support of this 13 year old who allegedly stabbed his mother with his own hands.... will pressure the courts to consider him differently. I absolutely hope they do not, as this puts him at public risk, TO the public. But then again this is Florida, which never ceases to surprise me, maybe they'll surprise with actual justice.

I wonder if Derek could be viewed as the victim of the Internet, but I don’t have enough details to support my intuitive feeling.
Regardless of what is/was on his computer, I don't consider him a victim at all.
While he certainly could have been influenced by some trash online, that doesn't excuse away his choice to butcher his own mother, in her sleep.

jmo

ETA:
The teen is accused of stabbing his mother with a purple-handled knife 46 times while she slept next to her newborn baby, before sending bloody photos to a friend of his mother and his hands.
^^rsbm

I listen lived to one of the hearing where I heard testimony from LE so this is MOO. A detective testified that DR sent photos of the victim and crime scene to a cyberspace contact residing outside of the US-- WR only knew his/her screen name and not their true identity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back