FL FL - Dorothy Schofield, 14, Ocala, 22 July 1976

This case fascinates me-I don't think Wilder was involved. I think those 2 mystery men were her killers.

Dee was my brother's classmate and he was very upset by her abduction and disappearance, so much so that I still remember the day we heard the news very clearly.

I've looked on the internet for updates on her case through the years, hoping that her family would finally find her. I'm so
sorry they haven't had closure.

I strongly believe she would have been found quickly if law enforcement back then had acted right away. The area she was last seen, Nuby's Corner, was not well developed (still isn't) so it might have been pretty easy to catch up to them. From there, it's anyone's guess.

I keep hoping one day she will be found. Having no answers when a loved one disappears is a terrible burden, I know from experience.
My brother, Dee's schoolmate, disappeared 5 years ago. We got a very sad answer after 6 long heart wrenching days. I can only imagine what it would be like if he had never been found.

If any of the Schofield family reads this, please know, we haven't forgotten her. And I pray you get the answers to her abduction soon.

I remember when I first learned about this case, I was shocked at how much Dorothy resembled a very close friend of mine from middle school. I have never forgotten this case, and I hope law enforcement still continues to search for answers. My heart goes out to Dorothy and her family.

Kairi'sMom, I'm sorry about your brother. Thank you for sharing. This case, and all the missing never found cases are so heartbreaking.

I can't believe that waitress didn't speak up or call the police when she saw Dorothy in that restaurant with those two men. The cops need to try to track that waitress down and get more info from her. It seems like they didn't even get a police sketch of the suspects.

Apparently the waitress accurately described Dorothy's physical traits before the police even showed her a picture, but yeah, I find it very odd she didn't take immediate action. There is a sketch of a possible suspect, but you never know how veritable these sketches really are.

There were 2 men-why is there only a sketch of one? Has that waitress ever been talked to since?

Richard mentioned in an earlier post on this thread about the possibility of Dee's case being linked to the Lyon Sisters disappearance for a bunch of reasons. Now that there is a suspect in that case I started looking into his verifies whereabouts and when I found a list of them...Ocala, FLA was shown on it with Dorothy's name and case info. So the person who provided that list who was obviously law enforcement or some sort of insider in the Lyon Sisters investigation must believe at some level that Lloyd Lee Welch could have been involved in Dorothy's abduction. The sketch of the possible suspect in Dorothy's abduction doesn't look as similar to LLW as the sketch of in the Lyon sisters case, but it could be him with shorter hair. I wonder how well the witness can remember the suspect she saw with Dorothy 2 hours after she was reported missing and if law enforcement ever showed her pics of LLW in the mid 70s.

is there proof he was in Ocala on this day? and if so, who was the second man he was with?

Here are some 1970s murders from California and some detectives believed at the time there was likely a Serial Killer operating coast to coast. My feeling is they were right and should have been listened to more:

Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders - Wikipedia
Hi, jaejae,
Do you think the Santa Rosa hitchhiker killer may have been prowling the east coast?

Hi, jaejae,
Do you think the Santa Rosa hitchhiker killer may have been prowling the east coast?

Thanks for the post yes that is the implication in my post. I do not know for certain though if the crime sprees are related but believe I have identified a Serial Killer that travelled from coast to coast back in the 1970s and was active in California stationed there in the military but whose home was on the East Coast. It is not my theory though it is the theory of LE who worked the cases back in the 1970s. As I say I do not know for sure it is him but have a Serial Killer who was active then and might fit the bill so to speak. Thanks.

Thanks for the post yes that is the implication in my post. I do not know for certain though if the crime sprees are related but believe I have identified a Serial Killer that travelled from coast to coast back in the 1970s and was active in California stationed there in the military but whose home was on the East Coast. It is not my theory though it is the theory of LE who worked the cases back in the 1970s. As I say I do not know for sure it is him but have a Serial Killer who was active then and might fit the bill so to speak. Thanks.
This is very, very interesting.

Here is a description of a possible in the Santa Rosa Hitchiker Murders suspect from Wikipedia:

Jeannette Kamahele[edit]
Jeannette Kamahele, 20, a Santa Rosa Junior College student,[22] was last seen on April 25, 1972, hitchhiking near the Cotati on-ramp of Highway 101.[12] A friend witnessed her likely abduction and reported that she entered a faded brown Chevrolet pickup truck fitted with a homemade wooden camper and driven by a 20- to 30-year-old Caucasian male with an Afro hairstyle. Her body has never been found.[2]

Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders - Wikipedia

Here is part of the Wikipedia page about the Flat Tire Murders:

Suspect[edit]
Sgt. Erwin Carlstedt of Sonoma County, California theorized that the suspect acted alone, moved from coast to coast, and was responsible for more than 30 unsolved homicides. The Florida investigators did not comment on this theory; their suspect was known only someone who deflated the victims tires, and then offered them assistance.[1]

According to police, the killer is likely very intelligent, with an above average IQ, and above average strength and prowess. The method of killing has been a combination of shooting, penetrating stab wounds inflicted with an ice pick, and blunt-force trauma from hammer blows.[citation needed] Three of the four victims could not immediately be identified due to severe disfiguration.

Flat-Tire murders - Wikipedia

I have to make the point I do not who is responsible for any individual murder case in these crimes sprees but just have a possible suspect who I know was a prolific Serial Killer. In some crime sprees there can be more than one killer as seen in Texas Killing Fields and perhaps also in the Long Island Serial Killer case.

Hi, jaejae,

I have to make the point I do not who is responsible for any individual murder case in these crimes sprees but just have a possible suspect who I know was a prolific Serial Killer. In some crime sprees there can be more than one killer as seen in Texas Killing Fields and perhaps also in the Long Island Serial Killer case.

Just want to make the point and this is a serious one if it was not my suspect then there was another killer out there. Some maniac was the Flat Tire Killer and the Santa Rosa Hitchiker Killer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Contrary Marge
Back