FL FL - Dorothy Schofield, 14, Ocala, 22 July 1976

DScofield.jpg
DScofield1.jpg

Left: Scofield, circa 1976; Right: Age-progressed image of Scofield at age 45 (circa 2010)

Dorothy Delilah Scofield
Missing since July 22, 1976 from Ocala, Marion County, Florida.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: January 8, 1964
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11; 100 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long brown, straight hair; blue eyes. Scofield wears eyeglasses; at the time of her disappearance, she was wearing teardrop-shaped frames. She has a mole on one knee.
    • Clothing: A red short-sleeved body suit with blue floral print, blue jeans, a leather belt with a metal buckle, and lime green "Keds" tennis shoes. Her glasses had gold wire rims.
    • Jewelry: Garnet stud, post earrings.
    • Dentals: Her incisor tooth slightly covers her upper front tooth. One of her teeth was missing at the time of her disappearance.
    • AKA: Dee; Dee-Dee
    • Circumstances of Disappearance
Scofield and her mother went to a shopping mall together in Ocala, Florida on July 22, 1976. They went their separate ways once at the mall and agreed to meet later at a designated location; Scofield never arrived and has not been seen since. She was last seen at approximately 14.00 in the center.

DScofield_clothing.jpg

Face superimposed, showing how clothing at time of disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Scofield's whereabouts, please contact:

Ocala Police Department
Detective Mike Balken
352-629-8508
352-369-7070

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: O76072084
NCMEC #: NCMC601894
NCIC Number: M085578070
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Florida Department Of Law Enforcement
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
The Doe Network
NamUs

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 363DFFL

Other than the trip to Australia, it is believed he stayed in Florida until his fateful cross-country kidnap-murder rampage. One thing of note about Wilder is the lack of any pattern in his violence. When given the time, he liked to torture with electricity-having created a special wire instrument just for that reason (during his incarceration in Australia at the age of 17, he was given shock treatments and decided it would be a great method of torturing his victims). During his final spree, he grabbed girls wherever he could (having a penchant for malls), and disposed of them as was convenient.

He most often approached girls using the ruse of being a photographer looking for models to put on film. Wilder earned the nickname "The Beauty Queen Killer" for his choice of victims...This is one of the primary reasons that Tammy Leppert is believed to be a victim of Wilder's.

Wilder is known to have a penchant for large older-model American-made cars. A Caddilac tied him to the disappearance of Kenyon, and just prior to his spree he purchased a large Chrysler.

Some of his known victims have never been found, and he has been linked to several other missing girls. However, some of the missing cases he has been linked to are much less likely, such as "Cali" from upstate NY (Wilder was tied to this case due to his love of racing, and "Cali" was found wearing a jacket which was a racing promotional item). However, Wilder himself was a driver who raced his Porsche at a track near his home in Florida.

I ordered a couple of books on Wilder, when I have had time to properly peruse them I will post more on his known activities.

Can you tell me the source for his connection to "Cali" in NY. That was Tammy Jo Alexander from Fl.

I have posted about the Flat Tire Murders on this thread before. There is not that much information on them and they are very cold cases. In the 1970's some LE Detectives felt there was a Serial Killer committing murders coast to coast from Florida to California. Here is recent Podcast about the Flat Tire Murders case and other Floridian crimes:

Officer Carlstedt was one that had this theory about a Serial Killer crossing from one side of the US to the other:

Sgt. Erwin Carlstedt of Sonoma County, California theorized that the suspect acted alone, moved from coast to coast, and was responsible for more than 30 unsolved homicides. The Florida investigators did not comment on this theory; their suspect was known only as someone who deflated the victims’ tires, and then offered them assistance.[1] It is thought Carlstedt's theory was referencing Ted Bundy before he had been caught.

According to police, the killer is likely very intelligent, with an above average IQ, and above average strength and prowess. The method of killing has been a combination of shooting, stabbing with an ice pick, and blunt-force trauma from hammer blows.[citation needed] Three of the four victims could not immediately be identified due to severe disfiguration.

Flat-Tire murders - Wikipedia

Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders - Wikipedia

Dorothy Delilah Scofield
dorothy_delilah_scofield_1.jpg
dorothy_delilah_scofield_2.jpg

Dorothy, circa 1976; Age-progression to age 46 (circa 2010);

• Missing Since 07/22/1976
  • Missing From Ocala, Florida
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 01/08/1964 (57)
  • Age 12 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'11, 90 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A red short-sleeved body suit with a blue flower design and snaps at the crotch, a button-up shirt tucked inside blue jeans, a brown leather belt with a metal buckle and lime-green high-top Keds sneakers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Dorothy wore eyeglasses with gold-colored, teardrop-shaped frames at the time of her disappearance. Her upper incisor slightly overlaps her upper front tooth, and she was missing one tooth when she was last seen in 1976. She has freckles across her nose, pierced ears and a mole on her knee. Dorothy's nicknames are Dee and DeeDee (sometimes spelled "Dee-Dee" or "DeDe"). Her middle name my be spelled "Delila" by some agencies. Her hair was styled in two pigtails at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance

Dorothy and her mother left their Ocala, Florida residence together on July 22, 1976. Her mother took a driving test while Dorothy exchanged a pair of sandals at the J. M. Fields department store. She also planned to buy a birthday present for her brother.

Dorothy returned the shoes and was last seen at the mall at approximately 2:00 p.m. that day. Dorothy never met her mother at the designated location they had agreed on and she reported her daughter as missing. She has never been seen again.

A witness reported having seen a girl matching Dorothy's description two hours after she was reported missing. The child was in Nuby's, a convenience store at the intersection of Highway 40 and State Road Highway 314, less than a mile from the Ocala National Forest. with one or two adult males. They purchased sodas and left.

dorothy_delilah_scofield_5.jpg

The child was shaking and appeared to be very frightened. She and the adult male companion(s) were never identified and law enforcement authorities are not sure if she was in fact Dorothy. A sketch of a possible suspect is posted with this case summary.

Dorothy is the youngest of five children and lived with her family in a mobile home in Citra, Florida in 1976. She was an honor student at Marion Middle School, regularly attended church, and worked at her parents' barbecue. Investigators do not believe she ran away from home, as she was not having any personal problems at the time of her disappearance.

There was some speculation at that her disappearance might be linked to the 1975 disappearances of the sisters Sheila and Katherine Lyon, but no evidence connecting the cases was discovered.

Dorothy's parents divorced in 1981 and her father died ten years later. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Ocala Police Department 352-629-8508
Source Information

I came across another thread on Websleuths regarding another female who also disappeared under similar circumstances that Dorothy Scofield disappeared.

The other missing female is Carlene Tengelsen, 16, who disappeared on June 21, 1972.

Carlene Tengelsen left her home on the afternoon of June 21, 1972 and drove her family's station wagon to a shopping mall.

Carlene was a newly licensed driver who had her drivers license for two weeks and it was her first time driving alone.

Carlene invited her younger brother and older sister to go with her but neither siblings wanted to go, so she drove herself to the shopping mall.

Carlene planned to pick up her younger sister from summer day camp after she left the shopping mall.

Carlene saw some boys she knew at the shopping mall and she also stopped at her boyfriend's workplace leaving a note on his car that she would see him later that evening.

Carlene didn't pick up her younger sister from the summer day camp that day.

Carlene never returned home and was never seen again.

The family's station wagon was found parked in front of the Krispy Kreme donut shop at the shopping mall with the doors unlocked and windows rolled down at 1:45 a.m. the next day.

Among the similarities I noticed between the disappearances of Dorothy Scofield and Carlene Tengelsen are that both teens were last seen during the afternoon at a shopping mall.

Both teens disappeared during the midweek.

Carlene Tengelsen disappeared on Wednesday June 21, 1972.

Dorothy Scofield disappeared on Thursday July 22, 1976.

I noticed that the distance between Macon, Georgia and Ocala, Florida is 288 miles and Interstate 75 goes thru both areas.

I suspect that a serial predator had been stalking teens and women at shopping malls.

I also suspect that the disappearances may all be related.

Carlene Tengelsen

GA - GA - Carlene Tengelsen, 16, Macon, 21 June 1972

Carlene Sessions Tengelsen

Https://charleyproject.org/case/carlene-sessions-tengelsen

Carlene Sessions Tengelsen - 2837DFGA

The Doe Network: Case File 2837DFGA

Dorothy Delilah Schofield, age 14
Missing since 22 July 1976

Dorothy's parents; Lena and Joe Scofield in 1977 (Photo credit: The Orlando Sentinel)

It is possible that the employee had someone wanting to intervene when he saw her crying, nervous and sad... many times people see adults with children and assume that they are with their family. In this case, it is very possible that she thought that her father dressed her down and decided to stay out of her way. Be that as it may, we might not be having this conversation if she reacted differently. On a fundamental level, she absolutely should have said or done something. However, things were different than they are now... I'm pretty sure "mind your own business" was pretty standard back then. She might have been afraid to intervene. Fear is a very strong motivator. I'm going to read a little about it. These cases always send me in a million directions, because it's also possible that it was just some girl he talked to. Whatever the case, everything was wrong. I want to know what happened to her, but I doubt it will have a happy ending... but the most important thing in all of this... how does a supposedly worried mother leave a 12-year-old daughter alone? again the carelessness of trusting Americans... then they love to cry even though it was something completely avoidable... 12 years old is still a baby...
I hope with all my heart that one day we will know the truth and where the remains of her are...
rest in peace little one

JM Fields was not actually in a mall. The only mall in town now is Paddock Mall and it was built in 1980. Here's an article of where JM Fields was being erected in 1968. It was a plaza where a library branch was also going to be part of the plaza according to this. It was located on Silver Springs Blvd and Ft King Street. This area is near where the health department and other state offices and the school board are located. The land was originally state owned land and was a turn of the century prision farm. Fields store gets big welcome in '68

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back