FL FL - Kevin McGrath, 26, missing from a cruise ship, Miami, 4 Sept 2023

From the above linked article;

McGrath pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in September 2022 after threatening to kill his family. He was sentenced to six years of supervised probation, according to legal docs.

"We are not afraid of Kevin. We love Kevin. He was literally the life of the party and not a bad person at all. I just want him to know that we love him dearly. He knows that. We just want him found and want him to come home to his family," concluded Thomas.

A Carnival Cruise passenger who mysteriously vanished from the ship during a family vacation was not allowed to sail [yes, he was allowed to sail but he shouldn't have been] because he was on probation for assault after his wife said he threatened to kill her and their kids...
< >
His wife said he threatened to kill her and their children...
< >
McGrath received permission to move from Tennessee to Florida, where he was living with his parents
< >
McGrath pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in Tennessee in September 2022 and was sentenced to six years of supervised probation

Vanished while on Parole - NYP

As a passenger, I'd be upset with the cruiseline for allowing someone onboard who was on parole for a felony assault. He's a criminal and a badboy who beats women and threatens children.
Maybe he did stay in Bimini [pop 2417 in '22].

Is Bimini having the same problem with a huge influx of illegal immigrants from Haiti as the main islands experience? It appears to be alarming for some Native Bahamians that illegal immigrants are taking their jobs because they'll work longer hours for less pay. Maybe the fleeing Haitians do not attempt to go as far as Bimini.

Crackdown on undocumented Haitians - 2019 after Hurricane Dorian
In the Bahamas, the Government has announced that Haitians who fled Hurricane Dorian and are not in the country legally will now face deportation.

Haitian Immigrants in Bahamas Struggle After Hurricane Dorian Feb 2020

There was growing animosity and disdain toward Haitians living in The Mudd. Before the storm hit, the government of the Bahamas already had plans to relocate all shantytown residents, according to Lesley Johnson from the Bahamas Disaster Reconstruction Authority. Tensions were high. Many Haitians lived in fear of deportation.
You think a cruise line is going to run background checks on all the passengers?? You interact with people with felonies everyday.

I'm a diamond cruiser... over 30 cruises. February of this year I went on a cruise to the Bahamas. When me and my 2 sisters got off the ship our cards were scanned.... of course we were talking and excited and lines were crazy not really paying attention. We were at a Waterpark on one of the islands. We had the drink package which was included on the island. We were there for several hours drinking and eating using our cards. When I was getting my last drink I realized my card was not my card. Either it got mixed up getting off the boat or at one of the bars I was getting drinks from. We instantly panicked thinking how will I get back on ship without my card. Anyway.... we went to board ship and I told them somewhere between getting off and getting my last drink my card got switched. They said I never scanned out....My card must have gotten mixed up night before and I didn't notice it. ... they politely said it's ok no problem and let us right on. We were shocked it was so easy. They didn't ask for any ID. After cruising over 30 times I always thought getting on and off was so strict and would be impossible without ID... clearly it wasn't. If I hadn't noticed it and not went back to ship I would have been in the system as never leaving ship. They didn't even keep the GUYS card (yes was even a man) they habded it back to me....so later that night I went to service desk and ask if they could see if the guy had my card (I was worried about him charging things on my card). They called him down and he said he did not and that he lost his the day before. He was 88 and stayed on ship not going to waterpark. He didn't report his card lost because he said he used his wife's and it was to hard getting down to service desk. We closed out my card and I got a new one. It was very strange.
Edit by me for spelling

Last edited:
I'm a diamond cruiser... over 30 cruises. February of this year I went on a cruise to the Bahamas. When me and my 2 sisters got off the ship our cards were scanned.... of course we were talking and excited and lines were crazy not really paying attention. We were at a Waterpark on one of the islands. We had the drink package which was included on the island. We were there for several hours drinking and eating using our cards. When I was getting my last drink I realized my card was not my card. Either it got mixed up getting off the boat or at one of the bars I was getting drinks from. We instantly panicked thinking how will I get back on ship without my card. Anyway.... we went to board ship and I told them somewhere between getting off and getting my last drink my card got switched. They said I never scanned out....My card must have gotten mixed up night before and I didn't notice it. ... they politely said it's ok no problem and let us right on. We were shocked it was so easy. They didn't ask for any ID. After cruising over 30 times I always thought getting on and off was so strict and would be impossible without ID... clearly it wasn't. If I hadn't noticed it and not went back to ship I would have been in the system as never leaving ship. They didn't even keep the GUYS card (yes was even a man) they habded it back to me....so later that night I went to service desk and ask if they could see if the guy had my card (I was worried about him charging things on my card). They called him down and he said he did not and that he lost his the day before. He was 88 and stayed on ship not going to waterpark. He didn't report his card lost because he said he used his wife's and it was to hard getting down to service desk. We closed out my card and I got a new one. It was very strange.
Edit by me for spelling
That's interesting and the same thing happened to me when I took my granddaughter on a Carnival cruise. It happened when we were in a restaurant on board and my card got mixed up with another passengers card. It didn't affect anything like us getting off the ship with someone else's card because it was discovered very quickly but those types of issues can happen anywhere. I was given someone else's credit card in a restaurant once after getting the bill and I had make sure they didn't put their meal on my card and vice versa. So it seems like it can be a fairly benign situation without any criminal intent on any party.

Here's a couple of articles going back 14 years when cruising really ramped up. It's a very competitive business, especially now when cruise lines are offering two for one, free fine dining and unlimited booze packages. Most people think, Oh, there's no way I'd be drinking 14 drinks in one day but it does happen. People start with a couple of mimosas with brekkie then a couple of beers with lunch, then a couple of cocktails lounging around the pool, then a bottle of wine with dinner, and then take a beverage into the theatre for the show and a couple more in the night club. Even though you don't get blotto, you are probably legally over the limit, but hey, you're not driving so who cares? That's what happens to a lot of people. They are drunk but not falling down drunk but their reactions are slow and their choices are questionable. Check the date below of an off duty staff member who went overboard.

There's also the issue of people who make plans with family members who have already thought about committing suicide while on their vacation. You'd think, nah, no one would do that. But it's a fact that people make dinner reservations, drop off dry cleaning, and make dentist appointments they have no intention of keeping so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone, even if they didn't plan ahead, to be overtaken by despair among happy groups of revelers.

I still wonder why the family doesn't have a tighter timeline regarding KM's activities on the last night before disembarking and provide it to LE to at least review his activities. It's difficult to plot his activities without more information.

Since 2009 when these articles were printed the numbers of missing passengers has increased substantially. It's still a drop in the bucket compared to how many people cruise. So I understand why the cruise lines believe the safety elements they have in place don't need to be increased. It's similar to why car manufacturers don't provide windows in vehicles that can be easily broken in the case of submersion in water where the occupants drown. The percentage of deaths in submerged vehicles in microscopic compared to reduced deaths on land where a laminated windshield is a safety feature not an impediment.

This thread seems to have died down. I am guessing because none of us can find or have heard anything new. Is there a way to get an investigative reporter to do an update? To ask Miami Dade to give an update? There are still so many people that just want to know what happened to Kevin. If he went overboard, if he ran away etc. I feel like the public is at least owed that. Am I the only one?

This thread seems to have died down. I am guessing because none of us can find or have heard anything new. Is there a way to get an investigative reporter to do an update? To ask Miami Dade to give an update? There are still so many people that just want to know what happened to Kevin. If he went overboard, if he ran away etc. I feel like the public is at least owed that. Am I the only one?
No, you're not the only one but the reality is, out of all the ways Kevin could have gone missing, going overboard has the highest probability more so than murder, suicide or his deciding to go rogue and disappear. If you peruse the threads on WS you'll find threads that are moribund for years and years without any activity other than some member 'bumping' the thread.

When new cases emerge, especially if they are local or of special interest to me, I tend to move on from those that have no new information being reported. As an avid cruiser, I was interested in what might have happened to Kevin and why he went missing from the ship or in port. For now, it seems that there is no new information available to the public, so there really isn't anything to discuss. JMO

No, you're not the only one but the reality is, out of all the ways Kevin could have gone missing, going overboard has the highest probability more so than murder, suicide or his deciding to go rogue and disappear. If you peruse the threads on WS you'll find threads that are moribund for years and years without any activity other than some member 'bumping' the thread.
I definitely don't think he was murdered. This is the one for me that I can't seem to let go of. Patience is a virtue that I am struggling with on this one lol. I keep hoping that an investigative reporter with be as consumed with it as I am and will try to get some of the questions answered that are still looming. Nothing about this "feels" right. I guess I was just hoping there was something new that I haven't found yet.

I definitely don't think he was murdered. This is the one for me that I can't seem to let go of. Patience is a virtue that I am struggling with on this one lol. I keep hoping that an investigative reporter with be as consumed with it as I am and will try to get some of the questions answered that are still looming. Nothing about this "feels" right. I guess I was just hoping there was something new that I haven't found yet.
I've never considered murder or any other crime in this case. I think Kevin a) fell overboard accidentally, b) jumped overboard intentionally, or c) prearranged his disappearance from the ship or in port with a family member or other person to escape criminal proceedings he was facing. In the first two instances, Kevin would most likely be deceased. In a prearranged disappearance, he might still be alive and have limited contact with his family. JMO

I am guessing there is nothing to update.

I’m sure that if was found, either dead or alive, it would make the news.

There is concern for missing Louisiana cruise ship passenger Tyler Barnett. Tyler is missing from the cruise ship Carnival Glory Which has set off from Orleans Sunday for Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island and Cozumel. It’s set to arrive back in New Orleans on Nov. 19.
Let’s hope there is a successful resolution to Tyler’s whereabouts.

Edit by me for spelling
You are about ten times the party animal that I am. Credit where credit is due. - Dana, Diamond RC

There is concern for missing Louisiana cruise ship passenger Tyler Barnett. Tyler is missing from the cruise ship Carnival Glory Which has set off from Orleans Sunday for Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island and Cozumel. It’s set to arrive back in New Orleans on Nov. 19.
Let’s hope there is a successful resolution to Tyler’s whereabouts.
I started a thread for Tyler.

Presuming that KM fell overboard (man overboard, sometimes shortened to MOB), it may never be resolved. There are a few MOB cases in which no body has been found, even when the location/time when the person went overboard was known. We don't know when/where KM fell...if that happened.

This article includes Tyler Barnett (it may have been recently updated)...of the 10 cases, only two were rescued alive. 8/8 of the other cases have not been recovered/found. (In two cases, there is CCTV that confirms the person did go overboard.)

IMO the 'best case' is that they do find footage of when/where he fell overboard. The linked article says that the cruise ship originally told Tyler Barnett's family that there was no surveillance footage, but later found it.

Presuming that KM fell overboard (man overboard, sometimes shortened to MOB), it may never be resolved. There are a few MOB cases in which no body has been found, even when the location/time when the person went overboard was known. We don't know when/where KM fell...if that happened.

This article includes Tyler Barnett (it may have been recently updated)...of the 10 cases, only two were rescued alive. 8/8 of the other cases have not been recovered/found. (In two cases, there is CCTV that confirms the person did go overboard.)

IMO the 'best case' is that they do find footage of when/where he fell overboard. The linked article says that the cruise ship originally told Tyler Barnett's family that there was no surveillance footage, but later found it.
Agree. IMO it’s been 3 months since he disappeared, if there was any footage period of him on Sunday night onboard after the ship left Bimini, it would be announced. Since his criminal background has been reported on and repeated in national media, I really think that would be reported on. I’ve believed from the beginning that there was way more to the story than we’ve been told.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dallasgrl
Back