Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The public defender who spoke on behalf of SS today.... was admitted to the bar in September 2022.... I'm surprised Mommy and Daddy didn't hire a high profile lawyer for their delusional son.
That would be like shoveling money into a furnace. The sexual abuse charges are based on irrefutable evidence, and that alone is a life sentence.

I remember we heard a few weeks ago that SS had only had one visitor in jail, and it was his dad on a single occasion.

I think his parents know what we know.

The public defender who spoke on behalf of SS today.... was admitted to the bar in September 2022.... I'm surprised Mommy and Daddy didn't hire a high profile lawyer for their delusional son.
Maybe they flushed that money down the toilet, may as well, it would yield the same results as spending it on SS defense. They see the writing on the wall.
@MassGuy jinx, we had the same thought

My takeaways from felony Wednesday:

Premeditated = malice aforethought = he knew what he was doing, meant to do it and it wasn’t an accident.

I think they have another suspect. Or at least enough evidence to believe there might be an additional suspect/s. If they didn’t, I think they’d say something along the lines of “we believe he acted alone,” or something like that.

I also agree that if they weren’t looking at JS at all they’d put out that fire. And I think it’s perfectly reasonable for us here at WS to suspect her involvement.
It's very interesting that LE stated Madeline is the only victim. Also LE usually says if someone is cooperating with them. MOO

about the ' WE" statement and the lie about seeing her get dressed at 8 am. why the need to lie? whether he told her to lie, or it was guilt about something? the fact that she felt the need to lie, What was the point?
Does that not imply she had to know something was up? why not just say My boyfriend drove her? but to lie about it, and create a different story ... why? if you know you are lying, you have to know why.
Lies are one form of confession,
Providing a false alibi is being an accessory after the fact.

She really ought to be fully on board with the police to get SS convicted to the full extent of the law, and if that means doing her own time she should care less. Justice for Maddie should be her only concern.

Lies are one form of confession,
Providing a false alibi is being an accessory after the fact.

She really ought to be fully on board with the police to get SS convicted to the full extent of the law, and if that means doing her own time she should care less. Justice for Maddie should be her only concern.
BINGO. There is zero margin for lying when your child is missing period. MOO

the 27th is a difficult piece of information to reconcile now based on LE not stating if Madeline was even in the home that evening or morning.....the only info disclosed by LE initially:

SS dumped her belongings at 7:35am. his license plate was captured near her school at 8:10am. she was spotted in his vehicle when he RETURNED to the complex. they believed her to be deceased.

then the initial LE presser skips to: his vehicle is spotted later on in the day on the side of the road (supposed tire issue). the 27th could be right after midnight on the 26th....does it really mean she was still alive, after all, initially they used the term 'believed'....or just pointing to disposing of her remains, having scoped out the location that afternoon of the 26th and returned after midnite (no lights on that road, IIRC).

any thoughts?
The only thoughts I personally have are really upsetting/depressing.

I'm trying not to think too much about what some of the new information about dates could possibly mean? I've always thought it seemed possible, and perhaps even likely MS died shortly after her party, i.e. Sunday night, but had never considered she may have still be alive somewhere while reported missing. Which is one possibility now with that extended timeframe. i.e. "believed" to be deceased....

On the other hand, this also opens up the possibility JS did see MS that morning, although not at 8am. Premeditation could mean the plan to kill MS--whatever it looked like--and MS was alive, but incapacitated and only APPEARED deceased in those video images of her in SS car.

So...where did he take her? Did he not dump her body that afternoon? Or did he and he took her somewhere that morning?

We never learned where SS or JS were all day before MS was reported missing. We only know where they said they were, and then the flat tire sighting, etc. of SS.

Ugh. :(

On the other hand, this also opens up the possibility JS did see MS that morning, although not at 8am. Premeditation could mean the plan to kill MS--whatever it looked like--and MS was alive, but incapacitated and only APPEARED deceased in those video images of her in SS car.

SBM

Premeditation just means he meant to kill her. It doesn’t mean he was planning on it days or even hours before, necessarily. As someone mentioned upthread, premeditation can be established in a manner of minutes before death occurs. So I don’t think the fact that they attached it to the charges necessarily means he had plans ahead of time to kill her. He certainly could have, but it still could have been a spur of the moment thing.

SBM

Premeditation just means he meant to kill her. It doesn’t mean he was planning on it days or even hours before, necessarily. As someone mentioned upthread, premeditation can be established in a manner of minutes before death occurs. So I don’t think the fact that they attached it to the charges necessarily means he had plans ahead of time to kill her. He certainly could have, but it still could have been a spur of the moment thing.
Could strangulation be considered premeditated since it…. isn’t quick? I am not sure about in Florida specifically, what is considered premeditation.

Could strangulation be considered premeditated since it…. isn’t quick? I am not sure about in Florida specifically, what is considered premeditation.

The offense of First-Degree (Premeditated) Murder occurs:

1. When victim is dead.
  2. The death was caused by the criminal act of person.
  3. There was a premeditated killing of victim.
An “act” includes a series of related actions arising from and performed pursuant to a single design or purpose.

“Killing with premeditation” is killing after consciously deciding to do so. The decision must be present in the mind at the time of the killing. The law does not fix the exact period of time that must pass between the formation of the premeditated intent to kill and the killing. The period of time must be long enough to allow reflection by the defendant. The premeditated intent to kill must be formed before the killing.

In order to find that the defendant did not act with a premeditated design to kill because he/she acted in the heat of passion based on adequate provocation:
  1. There must have been a sudden event that would have suspended the exercise of judgment in an ordinary reasonable person; and
  2. A reasonable person would have lost normal self-control and would have been driven by a blind and unreasoning fury; and
  3. There was not a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable person to cool off; and
  4. A reasonable person would not have cooled off before committing the act that constituted the attempt to cause death; and
  5. Person was, in fact, so provoked and did not cool off before he/she committed the act that constituted the attempt to cause the death of victim.

Wasn't there a presser or some other comment by LE where it was stated MS died in the home? Or am I mistaken and this was our (general) interpretation of other remarks?
They never specifically said where she was killed.

He dumped evidence at 7:35, and allegedly returned with her visibly deceased body at 8:20.

So she had to have been killed in the house, or (much less likely), killed after or around the time he first left (after dumping her belongings).

I’m all in on her being murdered in the house, and I think it occurred hours before her bag was dumped.

Gemmie posted a good definition of it… I think strangulation is unlikely with premeditation since it’s more of a crime of passion, unless he decided beforehand he was going to kill her and chose that manner of death. If they added premeditation they have to be able to eliminate those factors that were listed in Gemmie’s post, which to me would be more difficult to do with strangulation - defense could be, “I didn’t mean for her to die, I got carried away,” etc. With premeditation my guess is something more like blunt force trauma or intentionally drugging her. MOO.

Wasn't there a presser or some other comment by LE where it was stated MS died in the home? Or am I mistaken and this was our (general) interpretation of other remarks?
I'm going to look back on some old posts I remember we had a pretty good debate on what he said at the presser and it included links . I think I remember it being unclear , thats why we were debating , ( yikes, now to find them )

Gemmie posted a good definition of it… I think strangulation is unlikely with premeditation since it’s more of a crime of passion, unless he decided beforehand he was going to kill her and chose that manner of death. If they added premeditation they have to be able to eliminate those factors that were listed in Gemmie’s post, which to me would be more difficult to do with strangulation - defense could be, “I didn’t mean for her to die, I got carried away,” etc. With premeditation my guess is something more like blunt force trauma or intentionally drugging her. MOO.
MOO I would say yes its murder 1.
It takes so much time that a
reasonable person would fully realize they are causing death and stop.

I'm going to look back on some old posts I remember we had a pretty good debate on what he said at the presser and it included links . I think I remember it being unclear , thats why we were debating , ( yikes, now to find them )
From @Mack the Knife's notes from this post from the presser:

:05
  • Still waiting on ME’s report
  • No conclusion on if MS was killed inside the home or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics