FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I write here is JMO of course.
I respect your position of wanting facts to rule her out, but I have yet to see any real facts that make her a suspect or person of interest in my mind. I haven't ruled it out completely, but just don't see it right now. She used to be more of a person of interest to me, but it's a sort of combo of little things that have made me focus less on her recently.

Sad recently posted (I'm paraphrasing here so somebody please correct me if I am wrong) about the ongoing divorce/custody hearings, and that ST is beginning phone contact to eventually work up to full visitation if everything goes well.

IMO, I can't see a judge, who knows way more about the facts in this case than any of us, leaving the surviving children in DT's custody if DT, or anyone in the household, was putting the children in danger, either by abuse, neglect, direct or indirect involvement in Somer's murder. Even if DT hasn't been charged criminally yet, the children could still be put in ST's custody but that hasn't been done yet (I'm not giving a judgement or my opinion on this, just it is what it is). For that matter, we have at least four mandated child abuse reporters that at least some of the details of this case are known to: a judge, law enforcement, therapist(s), and teachers. I have a hard time believing that at least one, if not more, of these individuals would report suspected abuse/neglect. I have seen posts here over time that allege substance abuse, mental problems, inadequate supervision of the children, possible physical abuse, possible sexual abuse, etc. IMO, either 1) The people who these children are actually visible to have no reason to suspect these are a current issue (leaving open they may have been in the past). 2) All of the above people are turning a blind eye and failing to report. or 3) These concerns have been reported to child services, and they found no reason to remove the children from her custody. So far, we have nothing reported about child services being involved with the family. There were reports of their involvement in Haleigh and Caley's case. So it could be another one of those things not reported in this case, or it could be they are not involved.

And before everyone turns on me (lol), I know that child services fails, I know that judges fail, and I know there are always those few cases where all the systems in place fail a child. And that child could have been Somer. However, given what has happened to Somer, I can't see all these same people and systems continuing to fail her siblings and not take some action to protect them. Was this household perfect? Probably not, but it probably also isn't as bad as some make it sound.

Another telling fact for me (that I posted a while back) is that law enforcement has been involved in fundraising for the family. I can't believe they would do this unless cleared in their mind.
wife of sheriff's deputy co-organizes carnival fundraiser
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/25/national/main5420298.shtml
FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) and JFRD (Jacksonville Fire Rescue) involved in bike ride
http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/7/4/b/5/highres_11489877.jpeg

The Sheriff is elected in Clay County. Law enforcement involved in fundraising if DT was involved in any way wouldn't go over well at election time, IMO. Neither would some large scale deception like her body wasn't really found at the dump, or was found on Monday night leading people on a bogus 2 day search. JMO.

There are very few real facts in this case. We don't know at this point if the apparent contradictions are the result of deception/mistakes/some other reason on the part of law enforcement, poor reporting/mistakes by the media, or deception for whatever reason on the part of DT/other family members/witnesses. Or a little of all of the above. Again, JMO.

IMO she is a person of interest because she has gone so far to prove that she is not a person of interest. In the beginning she cried foul because there were no buses to bring Somer home. In the middle she talked about her emptiness. Now she is saying she feels guilty. As long as she keeps saying contradictory things and putting herself out there, I will be interested in her.

But it's not just DT who did not have access to Somer (by bringing the dress).

They had a LE officer ... not an aunt, grandmother, or family friend, etc., bring the dress to the funeral home (if that is the case).

They didn't want ANYONE outside of LE seeing Somer.
JMO

I don't think we can read anything into the fact that LE brought the dress to the funeral home - I just wondered why DT didn't bring it while she was there that day. When you choose clothes for your loved one's burial, usually a family member takes the clothes to the funeral home and drops them off with someone there - they don't view the body during this. The only other person I can think of aside from LE and the mortician who gets to see the body before it is prepared for burial is a beautician who does the hair. In somer's case, though, since it was going to be a closed-casket, I doubt that this was done. JMO

Hi Sad, good morning!

I started to make more of a comment on Cams post of the video but I really needed to think it out. I think the "boyfriend" if it is an elementary type kid isn't AS big of a red flag as the potential elder one. Anyway, more on that later...

I think it is interesting also about the "they" -- If this boy did have a relationship of some sort or know Somer well... it is possible she confided in him too -- If you notice the video the Sheriff also trips up in pressers and talks as if this is a group of people--

IMO, I feel it possible DT could have killed Somer in a rage/punishment and now has the help of SP and/or PC with a coverup. Sorry, I know it sounds cruel and victim unfriendly but it is my opinon! I think if "they" was attributed to kids in some way I think the beans would have spilled...by now... I will work on explaining my theory in more detail but it is all a matter of how you look at information in any case. It just so happens DT was the last person I put in the "perp" seat -- and when I do put her there it all fits - for me and in my eyes.

I also take back my theory that Somer could have been killed for her silence due to a possible incest between siblings, that is no longer my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing your theory & others. Oakleaf Junior High goes from Grade 6 to Grade 8.

In DT defense, some handle things better than others. She's a strong woman. I'm glad she's getting the support she needs. I know it does nothing for Somer though. But you do know Somer would like her family to be helped. I think she would be proud of her mom's strength. I wouldn't be that strong but I would have seen the body. Not seeing the body can be a plus too. Any case, I'm glad she has support. I would have donated myself if SP and PC weren't in the picture.

As a mother, I agree with you, and I feel for her.
In any other capacity, I think the support of the whole community during the event, over $100,000.00 in donations, being able to quit work, and still fundraising is too much. Let's put it in the context of other high-profile still missing or found deceased people and how their mothers grieve. Everyone is different, but statistically speaking, she is a real original, IMO

Please ask him if the police ever tell him not to show the body and what he says to the family if they do. Has he ever lied for the police about the condition of the body?

I certainly will. If you knew this fine young man you would know that he would never lie, and if he did, it could cost him his license and his whole career. I am sure he has a whole list of statements that cover those situations. I just want to know what situations he would have to cover.

I don't know him too too well and it's going to be tricky for me to call him and ask him these sensitive questions but I'll pluck up courage and try.

I also found this comment while reading back:

what they did to her was messed up i went to the same school as her the day after she died we all wore purple all 2000 of us she was a smart kid everybody liked her
To somer Thompson we all miss u here at oakleaf junior high school we all love u especcially me ur boyfriend, James
snipped out video

I could have sworn I'd read a story about a Sommer or Summer Thompson murdered in Oregon or Washington but cannot find anything now. All this time, I'd thought this person commenting was confused about what Somer the video was about.

BUT

There is an Oakleaf Junior High in Orange Park.

Makes me wonder who they are?

And what about James? Is he the one referred to here as Somer's "high school boyfriend"? (even though in junior high)? Does anyone know where that came from? That Somer had a "high school boyfriend"?

I saw that before and thought it was very strange but remember kids are very very rude. One poor girl was killed (DWI, hit and run) right before Thanksgiving in my area and this crazy boy was writing how some other boy had a crush on her and wanted to do things to her.

Some adolescents are very weird and extremely immature.

http://www.youtube.com/user/odstairsoft

It seems he says he's 19 which can't be true. And this is the only comment I see by him.

No No No...I read on another link last night (news article) some little guy had a crush on Somer and said he was her boyfriend. You know how little ones are, they think they have boyfriends and girlfriends even at that age...

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/death/reviewf.php

This is very thought provoking in context of our former questions of the wisdom of LE in notifying parents of death of Somer by PHONE. Your comments? Might want to read some of the sidebar articles such as the one that says, "I Thought He Was Going to Kill Me"...

I don't think we can read anything into the fact that LE brought the dress to the funeral home - I just wondered why DT didn't bring it while she was there that day. When you choose clothes for your loved one's burial, usually a family member takes the clothes to the funeral home and drops them off with someone there - they don't view the body during this. The only other person I can think of aside from LE and the mortician who gets to see the body before it is prepared for burial is a beautician who does the hair. In somer's case, though, since it was going to be a closed-casket, I doubt that this was done. JMO

Let me be more clear. I did not think it had anything to do with viewing the body at this time, but was a clue as to the way LE VIEWS DT.

Both the phone call and the dress are case in point examples that they are "Dissing" her in an overt way. Or maybe I should say covert as many people seem to miss the point here. It shows me anyway what they really think of her when push comes to shove.

As a side note. Why worry about doing her hair if she was closed casket was asked? Well for that matter why worry about a dress either, if you think that way? IMO:
They did her hair, and they had her dressed in a beautiful white dress for the ones who could see her, out of respect. And that was LE. That is my view. And I appreciate them for the gestures.

when I go to the link, I dont see any comments... grrrrr.... gotta go for now.. BBL.. hopefully I can figure it out then... have a good day sleuthers!

Just go straight to YouTube and look it up, and all of the comments to vids are posted underneath.

As a mother, I agree with you, and I feel for her.
In any other capacity, I think the support of the whole community during the event, over $100,000.00 in donations, being able to quit work, and still fundraising is too much. Let's put it in the context of other high-profile still missing or found deceased people and how their mothers grieve. Everyone is different, but statistically speaking, she is a real original, IMO

Because of my opinion on DT, I will say this...

IF she does end up getting arrested, her kids will need money, that I get. In my opinon the kids are what matters most here!!!

Side note: my guess is that amount way exceeds what you have written above - just a hunch and a guess on my part -

Last, it makes me sad because there are other cases out there where other parents children are STILL missing and could use funds to help their endeavor to find out what happend to them but are not in the position. This is just another higher profile case that garners the media attention etc.. I wish they all received the same attention. I am happy Somers case was brought to the spotlight, I don't want anyone to get that confused. I can think of a particular case that I would like to at some point help out when I am in the position to do so - it exists here on WS - I would think after two months it would be appropriate to re-distribute the money to others that are in dire need and in a similar situation -- *slaps head* I can't believe I used *redistribute* I am a die hard fiscal conservative but since the funds were donated I think it's appropriate and the "right" thing, IMO.

Let me be more clear. I did not think it had anything to do with viewing the body at this time, but was a clue as to the way LE VIEWS DT.

Both the phone call and the dress are case in point examples that they are "Dissing" her in an overt way. Or maybe I should say covert as many people seem to miss the point here. It shows me anyway what they really think of her when push comes to shove.

As a side note. Why worry about doing her hair if she was closed casket was asked? Well for that matter why worry about a dress either, if you think that way? IMO:
They did her hair, and they had her dressed in a beautiful white dress for the ones who could see her, out of respect. And that was LE. That is my view. And I appreciate them for the gestures.

From what I have read, notifying parent of violent death of child by PHONE is NOT standard protocol (unless parent lives out of state) - it would be considered inappropriate and beyond insensitive. That is covered in an earlier link I posted re: homicide protocols.

LE would not have to notify this mother in person to gauge her reaction because they already knew what her reaction would be based on her reactions thus far. She said early on that she knew something was wrong and thought somebody had taken her.

Let's consider WHY LE WOULD NOTIFY THIS MOTHER OVER THE PHONE. Why not, instead send a detective to her (one who was standing by to comfort her in case of bad news) and say, "...you might want to prepare yourself..." Sometimes in the course of events, the parent at a point is shown a picture of the victim so that the parent can positively i.d. the child. As far as I know, this is the standard procedure.

My apologies for being sarcastic, but if I suspected my child was possibly murdered, I'd be looking at all of her dresses and maybe her favorite teddy bears in anticipation of a funeral and would not be on the computer changing my MySPace profile picture.

I wonder, too, how many of DT's friends or acquaintenances were calling her on the phone with possible "tips" or even condolences, or sending her messages, or was LE also monitoring the phones? It doesn't seem like they were seizing her computer. You would think they'd at least ask her to hold off unless and until they could look over computer activity to see if there were any clues there from a possible perp?

As I have said previously, I'd be huddled up in a ball somewhere or laying on my child's bed with the door shut wailing and wanting to die.

Because of my opinion on DT, I will say this...

IF she does end up getting arrested, her kids will need money, that I get. In my opinon the kids are what matters most here!!!

Side note: my guess is that amount way exceeds what you have written above - just a hunch and a guess on my part -

Last, it makes me sad because there are other cases out there where other parents children are STILL missing and could use funds to help their endeavor to find out what happend to them but are not in the position. This is just another higher profile case that garners the media attention etc.. I wish they all received the same attention. I am happy Somers case was brought to the spotlight, I don't want anyone to get that confused. I can think of a particular case that I would like to at some point help out when I am in the position to do so - it exists here on WS - I would think after two months it would be appropriate to re-distribute the money to others that are in dire need and in a similar situation -- *slaps head* I can't believe I used *redistribute* I am a die hard fiscal conservative but since the funds were donated I think it's appropriate and the "right" thing, IMO.

SP the Indigo Healer is the administrator of the Vystar account which funnels all donations. He could be making recommendations to DT even as we speak. He is a very, very good friend.

Somer's body was found about 3:30 p.m. When the Sheriff announced that a body of small child had been found, he said that the mother and father had already been notified of this (0:39 or so). Did he tell Diena in person?

http://jacksonville.com/video?bcpid=45533482001&bclid=45314954001&bctid=45802833001

IIRC, he then called Diena at around 9, when the investigators there had been able to uncover the body and Somer was IDd by her clothing and birthmark. Maybe she had asked him to call her the minute he had positive ID?

ETA
Beseler said he got a call about the visual confirmation on the body about 9 p.m. and called Somer's mother, Diena Thompson.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/21389523/detail.html

I am trying to find a source for something else I remember, and that is that the Sheriff spent most of this day (10/21) at the Thompson house. I wonder if he stayed there, hoping to get confirmation while he was with Diena. Hallucination until I post a source.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001110.htm

This article gives statistics about homocides perpetrated by persons such as boyfriends, acquaintenances, etc. Well worth reading. Sure helped me nail down my theories.

25% of child homicides occurred resulting from interfamilial argument; 4% in the course of a sexual crime.

The use of bodily force or blunt object was predominant in murders of children up to 9 years of age.

A pattern represents a child who is thrust into an adult environment for which s/he is not ... developmentally prepared or properly supervised...

Somer's body was found about 3:30 p.m. When the Sheriff announced that a body of small child had been found, he said that the mother and father had already been notified of this (0:39 or so). Did he tell Diena in person?

http://jacksonville.com/video?bcpid=45533482001&bclid=45314954001&bctid=45802833001

IIRC, he then called Diena at around 9, when the investigators there had been able to uncover the body and Somer was IDd by her clothing and birthmark. Maybe she had asked him to call her the minute he had positive ID?

ETA
Beseler said he got a call about the visual confirmation on the body about 9 p.m. and called Somer's mother, Diena Thompson.

I am trying to find a source for something else I remember, and that is that the Sheriff spent most of this day (10/21) at the Thompson house. I wonder if he stayed there, hoping to get confirmation while he was with Diena. Hallucination until I post a source.

Way OT - I LOOOOOVE your avatar!!! There's nothing better than fun socks!!

ETA

Whether it was Beseler or another Detective who notified her, even if it was by phone, I am hoping there was a trained detective standing right there and noting exactly what happened, including her reaction and her activities immediately afterward. Especially if they included going right to CPC.

Maybe CPC was there too. Maybe they were gauging his reaction. :)

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001110.htm

This article gives statistics about homocides perpetrated by persons such as boyfriends, acquaintenances, etc. Well worth reading. Sure helped me nail down my theories.

Actually that article was dated 1982 and some stats. were from the 70's, I have seen stats much higher and of course that is why LE look very closely and try to rule out the family first. Although I don't have an opinion yet in this case, I certainly think family should be looked at of course. Looking at the parents makes some people upset in these type cases, however it is and should be done in every case for the real victim; the deceased child.

I could have sworn I'd read a story about a Sommer or Summer Thompson murdered in Oregon or Washington but cannot find anything now. All this time, I'd thought this person commenting was confused about what Somer the video was about.

BUT

There is an Oakleaf Junior High in Orange Park.

Makes me wonder who they are?

And what about James? Is he the one referred to here as Somer's "high school boyfriend"? (even though in junior high)? Does anyone know where that came from? That Somer had a "high school boyfriend"?

That school is a fur piece from S neighborhood. My next question would be:
Is it near where GPs lived. How would they have crossed paths?
Not that he is a suspect in my mind. Not a jr high schooler from across town.
Just curious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member