FL - Tracy Ocasio, 27, Orlando/Ocoee, 27 May 2009 - #2

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...sio-ocoee-detectives-20100526,0,3492823.story

By Bianca Prieto, Orlando Sentinel

12:05 p.m. EDT, May 26, 2010
E-mail Print Share Text Size os-tracy-ocasio-ocoee-detectives-20100526

Ocoee detectives this morning officially named James Hataway as the suspect in the disappearance of Tracy Ocasio, who was last seen one year ago today.

"He's definitely a suspect," Detective Mike Bryant said. "He was the last person to see her, he drove with her home and he lied about what he did with her."

Until today, police had referred to Hataway as a person of interest. He is currently in the Seminole County jail awaiting trial in an unrelated attempted-murder case.

Ocasio was 27 when she vanished about 1:30 a.m. May 27, 2009, after watching an Orlando Magic game at the Tap Room bar on Raleigh Street in Orlando's MetroWest neighborhood.

She was seen leaving with Hataway. He told police she gave him a ride home and left. Police don't believe him, Bryant said.

Get more stories like this. Sign up for home delivery today.

In the year since Ocasio went missing, officers have followed up on over 100 tips and performed more than a dozen searches. Nothing substantial has been found during the searches.

"The searches have failed because we have not found her," Bryant said.

All the evidence that has been collected so far is circumstantial, Bryant said. Detectives have not pushed forward with prosecution because Hataway has been in jail for nearly a year on various charges.

"As long as he's in jail, we have time to work our case," Bryant said.

During the hour-long press conference at the Ocoee police headquarters, Courtney Turner, 27, and Taryn Anthony, 26, friends of Ocasio, broke down and cried when detectives talked about not being able to find her. They wiped tears and hugged each other.

Ocasio's parents, Liz and Joe, and her younger brother, Joey, also joined the press conference to talk about the upcoming search planned for June 5 and 6 around Ocoee. Volunteers are not needed.

"We are re-tracing our steps, and we hope that it will lead us back to our daughter," Joe Ocasio said. "It's like a needle in a hay stack; we don't know where to start."

Her family urged the public to call in any information about where their daughter could be found.

"Even if you don't think it's important, please tell us," Liz Ocasio said. "We just want to get her, bring her home and lay her to rest."

Anyone with information can call Crimeline at 1-800-423-8477. A reward of up to $10,000 is being offered.

Wow! Surprised to find new information and a possible lead. I pray that they are able to find Tracy.

Zero news since the mapping of the lake. Is there anything? I can't find anything, even on her website. No parent update and not one approved comment posted since last Sunday???

I see some very strange things happening.

1. FDLE missing page has just recently added Onda Christopher George and Tracy Ocasio. Wonder why it took so long? Oddest part is it shows as being reported by APOPKA Police Department???? Apopka has nothing to do with either case. WTH?
http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/person/displayMissingPersonsSearch.a

2. I went yesterday to the following sites: www.clickorlando.com (Channel 6 local), www.wftv.com (channel 9 local), www.wesh.com (channel 2 local), www.cfnews13.com (channel 13 local) and the Orlando Sentinel newspaper. Only the Sentinel had ANY stories about Tracy. All of the stories on the television media sites are GONE. Did a search of each site and not one article came up - not even old ones. ZERO, ZIP, NADA. HUH?

3. The Orlando Sentinel original article (I have it) had a paragraph talking about the lake mapping and how they "had heard" of chain link fencing, concrete blocks, canvas and that they would be looking for those things. That paragraph is now gone from the article. You guys want me to post it? Am I allowed if it has been edited by the source?

Something seems to be going on behind the scenes. But what? What would cause every major media outlet to pull all of their stories on a crime? :waitasec:

Update: the local media stations now have search results for Tracy Ocasio but her site still has nothing.

From 6/22/10 (From Orlando Sentinel)

OCOEE — Orange County divers are again searching Lake Bennet this morning for the remains of Tracy Ocasio.

Divers wearing scuba gear are in the water for a more detailed search than their last visit here. Earlier this month, the Sheriff's dive team used sonar equipment to scan the bottom of the lake. They discovered some anomalies and decided on today's dive.

Divers will search places of interest at the bottom of the lake, which has a "clear, hard bottom," according to Sgt. Michael Bryant.

The initial search of the lake stemmed from a request from Ocasio's family. Cadaver dogs, during a recent search of the area, showed signs that something was inside the lake, said Liz Ocasio, Tracy's mother.

Get more stories like this. Sign up for home delivery today.

Ocasio went missing May 27, 2009, after being seen leaving a Metrowest bar with James Hataway. Ocoee police say Hataway is the only suspect in the woman's disappearance.

He is being held in the Seminole County jail on an attempted murder charge in an unrelated case.

This is the third body of water to be searched recently in the case. Lake Meadow and Prairie Lake are the others. All three lakes are areas frequented by Hataway, according to police.

Last year, Orange County's mounted unit discovered a black boot near Lake Bennet that friends thought belonged to Ocasio. Investigators tested the shoe for DNA, but the results were inconclusive.

Dozens of volunteers canvassed the areas around those lakes for clues into the disappearance of the Ocoee woman.

Check back for updates.

From WFTV

Dive Teams Search Lake For Tracy Ocasio

Posted: 11:36 am EDT June 22, 2010Updated: 6:00 pm EDT June 22, 2010

OCOEE, Fla. -- Orange County dive teams searched again Tuesday for missing woman Tracy Ocasio. The Ocoee woman disappeared just over a year ago and, Tuesday, divers searched Lake Bennett in a wooded area at the intersection of Colonial Drive and Bluford Avenue (see map) for her body.
Sent
AT THE SCENE: Aerials Of Ocasio Search It's rare to see Liz Ocasio smiling, but Tuesday she was as she talked to Ocoee police about the search for her daughter's body.“I'm reminiscing about little things she used to do. Thinking about things like that helps a little bit,” Liz said.Ocoee police got help from the Orange County Sheriff's Office to search for 28-year-old Tracy Ocasio. Three divers were going in to search specific areas that showed something suspicious when they searched two weeks ago with boats that have sonar imaging.Earlier this month, cadaver dogs picked up a scent along the shores of the Ocoee lake. Police walked along the shoreline as well, Tuesday, but no one found any new evidence that Ocasio's body was dumped there.Investigators said the area is still crucial in finding Ocasio, because the prime suspect in her disappearance, James Hataway, was a regular on the dirt trails around the lake."It's our love for our daughter. If you stop, if I stop, it’s like I feel like I'm abandoning her," Tracy's father, Joe Ocasio, said.It's been just over a year since Hataway and Ocasio walked out of the Taproom in Metrowest. Hataway told police that Ocasio gave him a ride to his Ocoee home and he never saw her again. But, police say, cell phone towers picked up a signal from her cell phone, six hours after Hataway said she dropped him off.WFTV asked officers why they have not charged Hataway. They said they want to find a body so they can have a solid case.“Have you given up hope that she will be found alive?” WFTV reporter Daralene Jones asked Liz.“In my head, yes I've given up hope. But in my heart, no. I keep thinking, ‘Wouldn't it be great if she just walked through the door?’ I have dreams that she's come home, but deep inside, I don't think that's ever going to happen. We're just hoping that we can get some closure,” she replied.Hataway is scheduled for a court hearing July 21 on an unrelated case. He is currently being held in the Seminole County jail for allegedly attacking a Casselberry woman in 2008. Hataway faces attempted murder charges.Diving teams will re-group Wednesday and likely search an area near Clarcona-Ocoee Road in the coming weeks. Copyright 2010 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I don't know much about this case, only that she drove this guy Hataway home and went missing. Does anyone know if the son or the dad, or any of his friends own a hunting cabin? Or was there property they had as a cabin but maybe not used anymore or sold?

Tracy has been on my mind today so I checked for news. Has anyone heard more about the letter?

November 23, 2010 - Tracy Ocasio's parents turn over potential evidence to police
The family of missing Ocoee woman Tracy Ocasio turned over potential evidence to detectives that may shed new light on the case.

Tracy Ocasio went missing in May 2009 after leaving a MetroWest bar with suspect James Hataway.

Liz Ocasio confirmed that her family received a letter from a man claiming to have information about three slayings involving the mother of Hataway's daughter.

Liz Ocasio declined to comment specifically about the letter, and said it has been turned over to Ocoee police for further investigation.

The ex-girlfriend of the letter writer thinks it's a hoax. (video at the following link)

Strange Letter, Map Emerge In Tracy Ocasio Case

The strange case of missing Ocoee woman Tracy Ocasio just got more bizarre. A letter obtained by WFTV links the prime suspect in her case, James Hataway, to three other murders.

RAW INTERVIEW: Suspect's Ex Talks To WFTV
SLIDESHOW: See Images Of Tracy Ocasio
VISIT: Family's Website For Tracy

The man who wrote the letter claims he knew Hataway and Hataway's ex-girlfriend. He even sent out a map showing where police could find evidence linking Hataway to three murders.

WFTV also tracked down someone who knew Hataway intimately. She claims the guy wants his 15 minutes of fame.

The man, claiming to have dated one of Hataway's ex-girlfriends, sent a letter to Ocasio's dad, Joe, claiming the ex-girlfriend admitted to being involved in three murders with Hataway prior to 2007.

The map he sent shows Little Lake Barton, where he said a body and a gun were tossed; then, just blocks away, Lake Susannah near Baldwin Park has more evidence from yet another crime.

WFTV tracked down that ex-girlfriend Tuesday. She does not want to be identified.

"That's hilarious," she told WFTV.

"It's a joke to you?" WFTV reporter Liz Artz asked.

"Yeah, five seconds of fame. That's what he wants," she said.

The woman said the man making these claims is addicted to drugs and for a long time wanted to get back in a relationship with her. They dated in 2007 and she can't figure out why now he's going public with what she calls false accusations.

December 15, 2010 - Seminole court appearance for James Hataway cancelled

A status conference on the case against James Hataway was cancelled Wednesday after his lawyer told Circuit Judge Donna L. McIntosh that some discovery issues had, for the most part, been resolved.

Jeff Leukel, attorney for Hataway, the man suspected in the Tracy Ocasio missing-persons case in Ocoee, told McIntosh that he had six more witnesses to dispose. Hataway did not appear before the judge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back