FL FL - Zachary Michael-Cole Bernhardt, 8, Clearwater, 11 Sept 2000

I agree that that's an awfully convenient coincidence that an abductor just happened to be there on the very date and at the very time that the mom went out. The only way that would make sense to me is if the mother did this somewhat regularly and a local predator noticed and waited for the next time. Sadly, that's entirely possible.

I agree that that's an awfully convenient coincidence that an abductor just happened to be there on the very date and at the very time that the mom went out. The only way that would make sense to me is if the mother did this somewhat regularly and a local predator would noticed and waited for the next time. Sadly, that's entirely possible.

OR; That is was a neighbor. That would make sense also but then it would make it somewhat improbable that the pic found in Dillon,Co was him. I am sure they probably checked out the neighbors.

I don't know the whole story behind the picture that was found or about the "Tara photos". I did see the picture and remember that I didn't think that it was Zachary.

In any case, even if it was a neighbor, it could still be Zachary in that pic. found in Colorado, couldn't it? Zachary could have been taken elsewhere or handed off to someone else, I suppose.

I've always found the 2 a.m. walk odd too. It just seems like such a strange decision, IMO, to leave a child alone at 2 in the morning, even for "just" 15 minutes.

I have to confess to being guilty of that very thing back when I was a single mother and going through severe money troubles. I couldn't sleep, and I couldn't stop worrying, so I would end up walking around the complex I lived in. My oldest daughter was a toddler at the time, and asleep inside. I always locked the door but I would go outside for some air and to look up at the sky, anything to try to clear my head. 15 minutes was about right too.

Seriousely, sometimes when you are so bad off that you are looking at you and your child being homeless, but working a full-time job and bringing in money, yet have no control over the downward spiral that is happening. You hate yourself, you are scared to death, you want to kill yourself, but you are scared to death for the future your kid could get stuck with. You go over it and over it until you feel like you will just blow, and getting outside to clear you head works, especially at night because everything is calm.

What the hell is wrong with people? This picture makes me sick. I know there are really bad people out there, but for someone to take a child from their home to pass them around for this kind of thing is SICK SICK SICK. If they ever catch someone who did something like this they should just let them be passed around prison like they passed around children. I'm sure the treatment would be about the same and in the end they will meet the same fate their victims did.

Mafitz, I totally respect your honesty and you're right - single parenting is hard. It's been so long since I've been in that situation that I sometimes forget. I can understand what you mean about sometimes just needing to step outside and collect your thoughts once in a while. And honestly, we should be able to do that at any time without worrying that someone will abduct our children. Sick, sad world sometimes.

Mafitz, I totally respect your honesty and you're right - single parenting is hard. It's been so long since I've been in that situation that I sometimes forget. I can understand what you mean about sometimes just needing to step outside and collect your thoughts once in a while. And honestly, we should be able to do that at any time without worrying that someone will abduct our children. Sick, sad world sometimes.

Thank you Jersey. I know his mom has to be feeling like heck right now because had she not gone on the walk he would likely have not been taken.

I can't even imagine the horrendous "what ifs". That's got to be a life of pure hell.

* bump for Zachary*

Anything new on this case?
Another of the Tampa Bay area's cold cases that I would like to see solved.

How does a little boy just go "missing" without someone hearing or seeing something? This case has always baffeled me.

http://www.tbnweekly.com/pubs/clearwater_beacon/content_articles/091409_clw-01.txt

14 Sept 09

Clearwater police are still searching for clues in the 2000 disappearance of a Clearwater boy.

An age-progression picture was recently released for Zachary Bernhardt who disappeared from his Clearwater home on Sept. 11, 2000 when he was 8.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released the photo of what he might look like at age 17.

Bernhardt has a scar on the bridge of his nose, under his chin and on the upper right side of his lip.

The case is still active and detectives are asking for the public’s help to find him.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Clearwater Department Tip Line at 562-4422.

pics
http://www.tbnweekly.com/content_images/091409_clw-01.jpg
On the left is a photo of Zach Bernhardt at age 8 when he went missing. On the right is an age-progressed picture recently released by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children showing what Bernhardt may look like at age 17.

Various photos and age-progressed photo from the Charley Project:

The Charley Project: Zachary Michael-Cole Bernhardt

Also info about a possible POI.

Kevin Jalbert, who resides near Bernhardt's home, told an acquaintance that he was a child murderer and was prepared to find another victim in early 2001. Authorities learned about Jalbert's comments and began tracking his movements. He attempted to solicit an undercover officer for assistance in a child abduction, rape and murder in September 2001. He was arrested shortly afterwards. Jalbert's sister said that he is a chronic liar and exaggerates to receive attention.

DNA samples taken from Jalbert did not match available evidence in Bernhardt's case, but authorities looked into the possibility that Jalbert was involved in the child's disappearance. Investigators found child *advertiser censored* Web sites on Jalbert's home computer. It was determined that he visited a nearby landfill approximately two weeks after Bernhardt's disappearance...

In January 2002, a five-year-old boy was kidnapped from the same apartment complex Bernhardt disappeared from...

Bernhardt is described as an intelligent and cheerful child who excelled in school, where he was a third-grader. His mother and his father, who was absent from Bernhardt's life, have both been ruled out as suspects in his disappearance.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Bernhardt has scars under his chin, between on his eyes on the bridge of his nose and on the right side of his upper lip. His nickname is Zach (it may be spelled "Zack"). Some agencies may refer to him as "Zachary Michael Bernhardt."

Something caught my eye in what you said.....wondering what DNA in Bernhardt's case was available where it was compared with this POI? Or the other way around?

I hope that Zach did not happen to wake up when his mother left for a walk (which is odd at 2AM, sorry) and go after her outside where he happened to be abducted. This is just a weird case. Poor little boy.

The other thing I worry about is that the mother did something to the boy because of her financial circumstances.....

After 10 years, search for Zachary Bernhardt goes on

By the spring of 2001, 8-year-old Zachary Bernhardt had been missing for seven months. Scores of investigators had chased down hundreds of tips and found nothing.

[snip]

To this day, Zachary's case is the only active, long-term investigation into the mysterious disappearance of a young child in Pinellas County.

[snip]

Zach was in third grade when he disappeared in the predawn hours of Sept. 11, 2000 — 10 years ago today. He and his mother, Leah Hackett (now Leah Hanson), were alone in the apartment when she went for a walk around the apartment complex about 4 a.m., she told investigators.

Zach was asleep in his bed when she left, she said. When she returned about 15 minutes later, he was gone.

[snip]

Today, on the 10th anniversary of Zach's disappearance, they'll gather at the Courtney Campbell Parkway with Roy Brown, whose 7-year-old daughter, Amanda, went missing exactly two years to the day before Zach. She has never been found but is presumed dead. A Seffner man is on death row for her murder.

Much much more: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...h-for-zachary-bernhardt-goes-onbr-br-/1120808

Still Missing, 25 Children Still Gone

The families of 25 missing children are asking the public to take another look. Their children were honored today at the state capitol at the 12th annual Missing Children’s Day ceremony. Some of the kids have been missing for more than a decade, but as Whitney Ray tells us, family members haven’t given up on their safe return.

It’s been 10 years since Zack Bernhardt was taken from his Clearwater home. His aunt and grandmother were at the state capitol Monday pleading for his safe return.

“Today I get weak. And on his birthday,” said Carole Bernhardt.

More: http://www.flanews.com/?p=10410

I remember this case, I was 19 years old and worked just around the corner at the time of his dissapearance and I attended elementary school right behind the complex when I was younger. I remember at the time being VERY suspicious of the mom. She had said that she walked all the way around the complex but IIRC a neighbor came forward and said that they saw a car pull up and drop her off around the time in question. I have thought if this child often wondering if they will ever find him. I will see if I can find a news link about the car/drop off, I don't really think that the picture is of him though, but you never know.

ETA: http://www.sptimes.com/News/091300/TampaBay/A_boy_sunny_amid_stor.shtml This is the article but apparently the cops discounted the neighbors statement. It also talks in this article about her needing a restraining order against a man, and that zachary was scared of him. I wonder if they were able to rule this man out?

Family, police seek leads in 2000 Clearwater boy’s disappearance
Published: September 11, 2014
CLEARWATER — Zach Bernhardt vanished without a trace.
The 8-year-old boy disappeared from his Drew Street home at about 4 a.m. on Sept. 11, 14 years ago today.
“Our primary goal right now is to find Zach, whether in grim circumstances or alive,” Slaughter said.

Slaughter, who recently became chief, was an investigator on the case 14 years ago. He met Bernhardt (Zach's grandmother) Monday at a Missing Children’s Day event in Tallahassee, a trip the family makes annually to meet with families of other missing children.

3253991_G.jpg

ZACHARY BERNHARDT

Zachary's photo is shown age-progressed to 17 years. He was last known to be sleeping in his bed on the night of September 10, 2000. At approximately 4am on September 11, 2000, he was discovered missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back