FL FL - Zachary Michael-Cole Bernhardt, 8, Clearwater, 11 Sept 2000

I am soooo irritated right now. I live in Clearwater and after reading these posts, it is the first time I have ever heard of the neighbor who was arrested for hiring an undercover police officer to help him abduct a child AND this man has admitted he killed before!!!!! That man is now in prison until 2038 and also visited the landfill two weeks after Zach disappeared. Why was this man not a big deal in the media??????? I realize they don't want people to focus too much on one POI, but this completely changes my mind and I think it would do so for others too. I think a lot of people feel the mom's story doesn't add up, but this changes things. This psycho (IMO) neighbor probably was up all hours of the night. Probably heard mom going outside or saw her outside and went in to their apartment.

Based on the information from this casting call, it looks like Zachary's case will be featured on the next season of Disappeared.

http://www.projectcasting.com/casti...iscoverys-disappeared-lead-roles-casting-call

If so, that's great news! I'm interested to know, however, if Zach's mother is cooperating with the production since Clearwater PD reported that she was less than cooperative with their investigation, and has since moved to Hawaii. As a fan of the show, it seems like it would be hard to produce an episode without the family's collaboration.

https://corporate.discovery.com/dis...ason-premiering-with-milestone-100th-episode/

Zachary's case will be profiled on the upcoming season of Disappeared.

To help commemorate National Missing Children’s Day (May 25), ID is teaming up with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) for the Sunday, May 21 premiere episode to bring awareness to the chilling story of 8-year-old Zachary Bernhardt, who vanished from his Florida home in September of 2000.

“It’s so important to continue to bring cold cases much-needed attention through national platforms like DISAPPEARED,” said Kevin Bennett, general manager of Investigation Discovery. “The opportunity to develop new leads and aid the important work of organizations like the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children – who are the real heroes for supporting families and law enforcement 24 hours a day – is what has made this series so unique and relevant for 100 episodes.”

If so, that's great news! I'm interested to know, however, if Zach's mother is cooperating with the production since Clearwater PD reported that she was less than cooperative with their investigation, and has since moved to Hawaii. As a fan of the show, it seems like it would be hard to produce an episode without the family's collaboration.

According to this article (from the 10th anniversary of his disappearance) it seems his maternal aunt and maternal grandmother are the ones who have continued the search for him. Brings up some doubts about the mother for me.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...h-for-zachary-bernhardt-goes-onbr-br-/1120808

My hinky meter is off the charts at the mother. The one night she goes for an after hour dip, he is abducted? I guess it could have been a crime of opp: perp saw the door open or Zach walking around and took him, but still... I feel this is more like an accidental death thst was hidden. The shower perhaps to wash off mud/dirt/debris. So sad. What a cutie.

I'm watching this story in Disappeared right now. My hinky meter immediately went off too.The mom reminded me of Susan Smith in one of the first press conferences. She wasn't crying, reading, and wouldn't look up at the cameras. She told police she went for a swim (without a towel and left the door unlocked) at 4am..She also said she didn't know why because she didn't even like to swim. She was seen driving around at about 3:30 and then went for a swim at 4am...what better way to create an alibi and wash off in the pool....sorry I just read your post fully mtnlites...we are on the same page. I guess too another perp could have seen a moment of opportunity...but what are the odds? Prayers the truth finally comes out...yea he was a cutie for sure.

I have the same feelings. The mother told LE she doesn't even like to swim and doesn't know why she decided to jump in the pool at 4am. Moving away and not looking for her missing son are huge red flags too. Hope someday this will be resolved and Zachary can be brought home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't know what to think about this one. When she went back in to shower was he in the bed? Didn't get that from the show. If he was, somebody probably watched her in the pool and followed her in the apartment and took the boy after she got in the shower.

The other thought is she had something to do with it.

Why wasn't she on the show? A mom that is distraught over a missing child wouldn't miss that opportunity.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I'm watching this story in Disappeared right now. My hinky meter immediately went off too.The mom reminded me of Susan Smith in one of the first press conferences. She wasn't crying, reading, and wouldn't look up at the cameras. She told police she went for a swim (without a towel and left the door unlocked) at 4am..She also said she didn't know why because she didn't even like to swim. She was seen driving around at about 3:30 and then went for a swim at 4am...what better way to create an alibi and wash off in the pool....sorry I just read your post fully mtnlites...we are on the same page. I guess too another perp could have seen a moment of opportunity...but what are the odds? Prayers the truth finally comes out...yea he was a cutie for sure.

Who leaves the door unlocked with a small child in the apartment? I am not a mother but I guarantee, I would NEVER have done that. Ever.

Hope I don't get in trouble for this, but something is not adding up with this little boy's mother. That 911 call was strange. And she moved away from where her son went missing within months? I hope this episode spawns new leads.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I too just watched Disappeared. I understand she worked 2nd/3rd shift and was used to being up at night. I wasn't giving the show my total undivided attention but I thought they said she checked on Zack after coming back from the pool. I can see someone having watched them for a while then kidnapping the child. However, I don't believe that to be so. Like the last few posters, I'm thinking it has something to do with his closest family member. (If she's innocent, please God forgive me)
Has anyone come across that she'd done a poly? I kept watching, and thought 'why isn't the mom on this episode?'. Strange....and then I just read that she moved and not just a state or two away, she really MOVED. And changed her name.....And the cops think she's not divulging all the information from that night. I'm sure there are a lot more 'coincidences' that point that way.

I just watched this also and came here to find his thread. Cannot imagine his family members all this time. Was also suprized no word from Mom and that she had never told his Father of his existence.I worked nights at one time so i understood the staying up to stick with routine but the nighttime swim in clothes and no towel when she didnot even like to swim? Odd....

I just saw the Disappeared episode and am not sure what to think. Could Zach have woken up when mom was at the pool and wander outside looking for her, then someone saw him? I'm also wondering about an 'adoption'. But the pool story really bothers me, that could be a good cover for several scenarios.

Why wasn't she on the show? A mom that is distraught over a missing child wouldn't miss that opportunity.

There have been a few Disappeared episodes about missing kids where a parent wasn't involved or missing adults whose spouses weren't involved in the production. I admit that their absences always feel wrong. I did find a lot of the things in her story plausible, but the absolute withdrawal from the case doesn't feel right.

I do understand that when an innocent person feels s/he might be railroaded by cops and media, they might just choose to stop cooperating, though. This might especially be the case if they have already told the story on the record several times. And she has done that. Maybe she thinks there's nothing more she can do for Zack that she hasn't already done. I still don't like it, but I get it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I too just watched Disappeared. I understand she worked 2nd/3rd shift and was used to being up at night. I wasn't giving the show my total undivided attention but I thought they said she checked on Zack after coming back from the pool. I can see someone having watched them for a while then kidnapping the child. However, I don't believe that to be so. Like the last few posters, I'm thinking it has something to do with his closest family member. (If she's innocent, please God forgive me)
Has anyone come across that she'd done a poly? I kept watching, and thought 'why isn't the mom on this episode?'. Strange....and then I just read that she moved and not just a state or two away, she really MOVED. And changed her name.....And the cops think she's not divulging all the information from that night. I'm sure there are a lot more 'coincidences' that point that way.
IIRC, it was stated she checked on him before going to the pool.

I also found it strange that they didn't say anything about whether or not she seen him when she walked past the bed to get in the shower but seen he was not in the bed as soon as she walked out of the bathroom from taking a shower.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back