FL FL - Zachary Michael-Cole Bernhardt, 8, Clearwater, 11 Sept 2000

Little Zachary is not forgotten.
View attachment 278775 View attachment 278776 View attachment 278777 View attachment 278778 View attachment 278779
Zachary Michael-Cole Bernhardt – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Zachary was living with his mother, Leah Hackett, in the 2600 block of Drew Street in Clearwater, Florida at the time of his disappearance. Hackett told authorities she had insomnia during the early morning hours of September 11, 2000. She stated that she left the apartment she shared with her son in Clearwater, Florida at approximately 2:00 a.m. and took a short swim and a walk around the area.

Zachary was asleep when she left. Hackett said that he had disappeared from their residence by the time she returned home. He has never been seen again. Accounts as to when Hackett discovered him missing differ; some state that she was out of their apartment only fifteen minutes, others that she was gone as long as two hours.

Early on in the investigation, authorities stated they thought Hackett knew more about her son's disappearance than she had disclosed. She frequently changed residences and was facing eviction from her apartment at the time of Zachary's disappearance. Hackett maintained her innocence in her son's case.

She now lives in Hawaii and has changed her last name to Hanson. Zachary's father was never involved in his life and has not been called a suspect in his disappearance.

An extensive search of the area produced no evidence as to Zachary's whereabouts. Authorities believe he disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

Kevin Jalbert, who resides near Zachary's home, told an acquaintance that he was a child murderer and was prepared to find another victim in early 2001.
Authorities learned about Jalbert's comments and began tracking his movements. He attempted to solicit an undercover officer for assistance in a child abduction, rape and murder in September 2001. He was arrested shortly afterwards and later sentenced to forty years in prison.
Jalbert claims he has abducted and raped 1,000 children and killed five. His sister said he is a chronic liar and exaggerates to receive attention. He led the undercover police officer to Zachary's apartment building and said he had kidnapped a child from there, but he pointed out the wrong apartment and also described Zachary's clothing incorrectly. DNA samples from Jalbert also did not match available evidence in Zachary's case. Jalbert denied having abducted the boy, but then he failed a polygraph about his possible involvement in the case.
Investigators found child *advertiser censored* Web sites on Jalbert's home computer. It was determined that he visited a nearby landfill approximately two weeks after Zachary's disappearance. Jalbert had also been considered a suspect in a child abuse case in Florida some time prior to 2000. He was never charged in connection with the unrelated case. Authorities stated they've been unable to rule him out as a suspect in Zachary's disappearance.

In January 2002, a five-year-old boy was kidnapped from the same apartment complex Zachary disappeared from. The boy said his abductor lured him into a vehicle with the promise of ice cream, and drove around with him for ten hours. The boy was left alive in a trash bin in Bushnell, Florida and he was rescued by a passing motorist. He may have been sexually assaulted.
Investigators looked into the possibility that the 2002 kidnapping and the Bernhardt case were connected, but they found no evidence to support this. The 2002 kidnapping remains unsolved.

Zachary is described as an intelligent and cheerful child who excelled in school, where he was a third-grader. His disappearance remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
Clearwater Police Department 727-562-4422

Does she still go by her first name? Is she still in Hawaii and never participates in any of the anniversary dates?
I think Jalbert may have been a POI but in this case firmly believe Leah paid him or helped him or he was a convenient patsy for her and she already knew him....

This case sticks with me. Leah was on the edge of eviction, again. She states “I made him his favorite meal”, why? It wasn’t a special occasion and she didn’t have a lot of disposable income.
She went swimming in her clothes when she was very clearly at her apartment and simply could have changed.
She up and moves to Hawaii. Now she can’t afford to live in Florida , constantly moving and many evictions, how does she afford a cross country move and afford to live in Hawaii?
She had already lost custody of one child , what did she do to Zachary?
No disrespect to the family but I believe that first trip to the garbage , which was heavy that she needed to drive , was getting rid of Zachary , which is why she jumped in the pool to get rid of any evidence on her....
did the police look into her finances? Was a large sum of money deposited before she moved to Hawaii?
That's a good question. How did she afford to up and move to Hawaii? She was being evicted and it is expensive to move, much less to Hawaii from Florida.

Just watching this case on ID- remember seeing it a few years go and thinking the same thing I am thinking now-- mom's story makes no sense-- she goes for a swim at 4 am, comes back into her apartment and decides to take a shower and then discovers her son is gone. Sure. My guess is that she did something to him-- it would not be difficult to do something terrible in the middle of the night to an 8 year old and bury the child. Maybe she was just tired of being a single mother and wanted a new life- which she apparently got. At least that is my 2 cents!!! Watching these shows on Disappeared is difficult. So many missing people- never found-- no resolution. Sad

Just watching this case on ID- remember seeing it a few years go and thinking the same thing I am thinking now-- mom's story makes no sense-- she goes for a swim at 4 am, comes back into her apartment and decides to take a shower and then discovers her son is gone. Sure. My guess is that she did something to him-- it would not be difficult to do something terrible in the middle of the night to an 8 year old and bury the child. Maybe she was just tired of being a single mother and wanted a new life- which she apparently got. At least that is my 2 cents!!! Watching these shows on Disappeared is difficult. So many missing people- never found-- no resolution. Sad

Yeah nothing at all made sense and I am surprised more investigation on the mother was not done. I did some research on it after watching it on Disappeared and there's so much more that was not covered. For instance the mother also had a younger daughter that she lost custody of to the father due to neglect.

Yeah nothing at all made sense and I am surprised more investigation on the mother was not done. I did some research on it after watching it on Disappeared and there's so much more that was not covered. For instance the mother also had a younger daughter that she lost custody of to the father due to neglect.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a shoddy police investigation. I am amazed at how many investigations are not very good- I think sometimes the police get lazy ----- what a shame in this case. Apparently we will never really know what really happened to this child but this mother's explanation is almost laughable if it were not so tragic.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a shoddy police investigation. I am amazed at how many investigations are not very good- I think sometimes the police get lazy ----- what a shame in this case. Apparently we will never really know what really happened to this child but this mother's explanation is almost laughable if it were not so tragic.
Yes, I agree!

watching this again now--- the absurdity of her story woukd be
laughable if this case was not tragic-- she goes swimming at 4:30 am
in her street clothes- sure-- then she goes back to her very cold
apt and decides she wants a warm shower - sure thing-- just
outrageous lies IMO

Just another parent that gets away with a crime !ike Kyron Horman
or Sky Metawala and so many more

It is so telling: Mom left the area and was not part of the people interviewed for this story. Says a lot to me. But she will get away with it- it is nauseating.

Last edited:

This is what I can’t understand.

The dispatcher asks, “And your door was unlocked when you went to the pool?”

Hanson replies, “I guess it was unlocked. Yes, it's my fault.”

When I leave the house I lock the door. Weather there is someone there or not.

When she was interviewed by the LE she laughed
And acted strange considering the circumstances.

She was having trouble keeping a roof over their head constantly moving or facing eviction.

She could have wanted a new start, planning the whole thing instead of the 15 minutes maybe it was the 2 hours that she was gone, just long enough to do the deed, gets back and concoct the story she told.

7AC3B352-EDA1-454C-BB57-47B6C1BC0E46.jpeg746A5527-DEDC-4988-8F69-E39DAC03F5FF.jpeg

This is what I can’t understand.

The dispatcher asks, “And your door was unlocked when you went to the pool?”

Hanson replies, “I guess it was unlocked. Yes, it's my fault.”

When I leave the house I lock the door. Weather there is someone there or not.

When she was interviewed by the LE she laughed
And acted strange considering the circumstances.

She was having trouble keeping a roof over their head constantly moving or facing eviction.

She could have wanted a new start, planning the whole thing instead of the 15 minutes maybe it was the 2 hours that she was gone, just long enough to do the deed, gets back and concoct the story she told.

View attachment 348994View attachment 348995

I am watching this on Disappeared right now- have seen it before and thought then, as I do now that she did something terrible to that child and got away with it. The police keep saying that there are no perfect murders, but I have seen too many so-called "missing children", that we know were murdered by a parent(s) and got away with it. I believe this is one of those cases. Her story about going for a swim at 4 am in her clothes and leaving the door unlocked is in my opinion, a load of crap. The police found her affect strange and she just kind of disappeared from the scene- leaving the area fairly soon after her son went missing. Cases like this sadden and anger me because of parents getting away with it. Just like Kyron Horman.

I am watching this on Disappeared right now- have seen it before and thought then, as I do now that she did something terrible to that child and got away with it. The police keep saying that there are no perfect murders, but I have seen too many so-called "missing children", that we know were murdered by a parent(s) and got away with it. I believe this is one of those cases. Her story about going for a swim at 4 am in her clothes and leaving the door unlocked is in my opinion, a load of crap. The police found her affect strange and she just kind of disappeared from the scene- leaving the area fairly soon after her son went missing. Cases like this sadden and anger me because of parents getting away with it. Just like Kyron Horman.
I have to agree. she just up and moved on way too quickly imo. This saddens me idk how anyone can do that to their child without a care in the world. Makes me so sad.

"Zachary remains listed as an active Amber Alert with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and is the longest-running Amber Alert in the state."

This case has always bothered me. As the mother of a child close to the same age in the same general area, it really hit home. I can't imagine leaving my child alone under any circumstances. I hope one day the family is able to get the answers/closure they need.

"Zachary remains listed as an active Amber Alert with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and is the longest-running Amber Alert in the state."

This case has always bothered me. As the mother of a child close to the same age in the same general area, it really hit home. I can't imagine leaving my child alone under any circumstances. I hope one day the family is able to get the answers/closure they need.

This case has always bothered me as well. The mother of Zachary has a lot to answer for but apparently she will never answer for the loss of her son. Who believes her crazy story about leaving her child in her bed to go for a swim: oh yeah, she didn't put on a bathing suit, she kept on her regular clothes: Oh yeah, she doesn't lock the door. and when she comes home she takes a shower and didn't realize her son was gone. And wouldn't ya know, while she is dipping in the pool for a few minutes, someone comes into her home and takes her precious son: I say BS- what a lie!!!!

I hate that she has gotten away with whatever she did with him--- Her actions after her son went missing also point to her involvement and yet, another case of a missing child where the mother just goes merrily on her way--- now, for all these years. It is horrible.

306594594_446636754164018_4097426391845407412_n.jpg

“Someone out there knows something or has information that could help solve this case,” the department said in a social media post.

Authorities included two images on the anniversary of Zachary’s disappearance. The first photo is what Zachary looked like around the time of his disappearance. The second photo is an age progression of what he might look like today at 30 years old.

Anyone with information that could help detectives is asked to call 727-562-4242.

306594594_446636754164018_4097426391845407412_n.jpg

“Someone out there knows something or has information that could help solve this case,” the department said in a social media post.

Authorities included two images on the anniversary of Zachary’s disappearance. The first photo is what Zachary looked like around the time of his disappearance. The second photo is an age progression of what he might look like today at 30 years old.

Anyone with information that could help detectives is asked to call 727-562-4242.

So where is mom these days? are they interviewing her again? IMO Zachary is no longer with us and has not been with us since the day he went missing. Only his mother knows where he is --- Another case like Kyron Horman? I ask where is the justice?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back