Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love white beans in chili. Cannellini beans are my favorite but I usually use cannellini and great northern beans.
When I was getting salmon out of the freezer yesterday, I noticed that we have a package of ground turkey. I haven't made "white" chili at all this winter, so that's on the menu for this weekend. I got the recipe from a newspaper article many years ago. It was from a now-closed restaurant in Bloomfield Hills that was the first local eatery to have "white chili" on their menu. The recipe is actually quite simple: ground turkey, chopped onion, garlic, canned diced green chiles, dried cumin, cilantro, and coriander, salt, chicken or turkey stock, canned white beans (I like Randall). I serve the chili with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime.

The quest for the best burger in metro Detroit continues.

MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. – We are on the hunt for the very best hamburger in Metro Detroit.

Like you, we’re sick of these “top 10 burgers” lists put out by every news organization and their mother. That’s why Carmichael Cruz and I, Cassidy Johncox, are putting our arteries at risk as we taste our way through the burgers of Southeast Michigan.

Together, we’re going to try every burger we possibly can to narrow down the best of the best of Metro Detroit. And we’re taking you along for the ride.

We’ve visited spots like Miller’s Bar, Grey Ghost, Redcoat Tavern and more. Now, we’re stopping at Kozy Lounge in Hazel Park, a locally-loved bar...

I have been to the Gasthof. They have a awesome buffet. It is located in a country setting. They also, have homemade bread, cakes, pies and cookies you can purchase to take home.

I am craving fried chicken now,

Gasthof was just named the best buffet in Indiana on a national survey. Sorry I can’t find the article at the moment so no link but I will add link to the article when I find it.

Happy Valentine's Day! Do you have special plans? We're staying home and will have grilled salmon with asparagus. I have my annual physical tomorrow and don't want to eat a huge meal or have wine tonight. Weather permitting, we will probably go out tomorrow for our Valentine's Day dinner.
Happy Valentine’s Day back!

No special plans.

Your grilled salmon meal sounds great. I love salmon.

I’m going to have fish tonight, too. I’ll be making fish tacos.
This is the recipe I have used for a long time. Besides a squeeze of lime, we add a few shakes of Tapatio hot sauce to the finished taco. One of my favorite eats.

Happy Valentine's Day! Do you have special plans? We're staying home and will have grilled salmon with asparagus. I have my annual physical tomorrow and don't want to eat a huge meal or have wine tonight. Weather permitting, we will probably go out tomorrow for our Valentine's Day dinner.

Happy Valentines Day to you as well and everyone! sounds like a good plan to eat light before a physical exam, but I know you and DH will enjoy your valentines day dinner tomorrow: we really like Olive Garden lasagne so that is what where we will go for Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day my foodie friends!
Your meals sound lovely. Mr Pirate and I are staying home. We just got back from vacation so something homemade sounds good. We will make a dinner together and share a bottle of wine.
We are making vegan stuffed shells. Served with a Caesar salad and crusty Italian bread. Here is the recipe!

Happy Valentines Day my foodie friends!
Your meals sound lovely. Mr Pirate and I are staying home. We just got back from vacation so something homemade sounds good. We will make a dinner together and share a bottle of wine.
We are making vegan stuffed shells. Served with a Caesar salad and crusty Italian bread. Here is the recipe!

Sounds delish! enjoy!!!! thanks for the recipe

I said prior that I had no special plans for today, but we did a short 2-mile impromptu hike on a nearby trail. The natural surroundings and fresh air was rejuvenating. :) Nice. Then, we decided to go to a takeout dim sum place to bring home some tasty selections to enjoy for lunch.
I’m a cheap date who enjoys the simple things. Ha!
happy117.gif

We had a light early supper, then went to church and sang with the choir for the Ash Wednesday service. When we got home, we had dessert!

The produce pick up yesterday had 2 purple cabbage. My uncle had made fried purple cabbage when I visited back in Dec. Today I made some and it turned out great. I only have a small cast iron pan so I made 2 little batches. It has minced onion & garlic with kosher salt.

I also made my 3rd batch of marinara this morning. I seeded my tomatoes but left the skin on. Each batch has been runny but I don’t mind. It’s tastes good. I put it in the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3218.jpeg
    IMG_3218.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 17
The produce pick up yesterday had 2 purple cabbage. My uncle had made fried purple cabbage when I visited back in Dec. Today I made some and it turned out great. I only have a small cast iron pan so I made 2 little batches. It has minced onion & garlic with kosher salt.

I also made my 3rd batch of marinara this morning. I seeded my tomatoes but left the skin on. Each batch has been runny but I don’t mind. It’s tastes good. I put it in the freezer.
You're amazing--- you make such wonderful dishes-- all healthful too!!!

A wedge of purple cabbage bakes really well in the oven, too. A splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of stock powder and white pepper, and bake at 180c until the outer leaves are papery and the inner bits are tender.

Is anyone else thinking food manufacturers don't understand quality control anymore? Good grief.

Included in the recall are one-pound packs of cooked chorizo and costillas ahumadas smoked pork ribs, as well as one-and-a-half pound lomo ahumado smoked pork loin; 5.4-5.5-pound packs of Cuban-brand mortadella; and 12-pound packs of jamon dulce sweet cooked ham.

All affected products were produced on December 21 and have expiry dates of March 30 this year.

Is anyone else thinking food manufacturers don't understand quality control anymore? Good grief.

Included in the recall are one-pound packs of cooked chorizo and costillas ahumadas smoked pork ribs, as well as one-and-a-half pound lomo ahumado smoked pork loin; 5.4-5.5-pound packs of Cuban-brand mortadella; and 12-pound packs of jamon dulce sweet cooked ham.

All affected products were produced on December 21 and have expiry dates of March 30 this year.
It seems like every day there is another recall of some type of food. I still can't bring myself to eat cantaloupe after the outbreak a few months ago--- I love cantaloupe- so now I am eating pineapple- which is good and good for you, but I miss cantaloupe- that outbreak went on for over three months before they said it is safe to eat cantaloupe---- a few days ago there was also a recall of some type of cheese! what is going on in the food industry?

I made some Rosemary Red Potatoes and an egg this morning. That really hit the spot. My blood work shows my Ferritin is 10 ng/mL (low iron stores I think?) Anyway, I have been using the cast iron skillet for my veggies. I had to look up how to take care of the pan. So I added a little oil to it and rubbed it in.

Now I want dessert. I haven't been keeping any sweets on hand so I don't snack too much. I have the cream cheese out on the counter so I can make a little cheesecake. I'm going to poke blueberries in it like usual.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 8
It seems like every day there is another recall of some type of food. I still can't bring myself to eat cantaloupe after the outbreak a few months ago--- I love cantaloupe- so now I am eating pineapple- which is good and good for you, but I miss cantaloupe- that outbreak went on for over three months before they said it is safe to eat cantaloupe---- a few days ago there was also a recall of some type of cheese! what is going on in the food industry?
I’ve probably mentioned it before on this thread, but several years ago the (then) two year old son of one of my good friends got E. Coli from organic spinach.

This was bagged organic spinach that was “triple washed and ready to eat.”

He was hospitalized for quite some time and nearly died. He suffered permanent kidney damage.

A recall was issued not long after his illness was reported. The recall affected this organic spinach in several states, and was traced to cattle being raised upstream of the spinach fields.

The crazy thing is that my friend has always been so health conscious. She only bought organic vegetables and even though the spinach was pre washed (“Triple washed”) she washed it herself before making a salad. Yet her son contracted E. Coli from eating it.

I saw a documentary not long ago. It showed arial footage of commercial farmland in the middle of nowhere. One side was a cattle farm the other side was romaine lettuce. Toxic runoff from the cattle seeped into the land on the lettuce farm :oops:

Listeria is SERIOUS. I'm really curious as to what is going on with all these outbreaks. Or is it just a news trend? Reminds me of the dystopian/scifi books I read in high school like "Make Room" and "Animal Farm". Scary.

I made some Rosemary Red Potatoes and an egg this morning. That really hit the spot. My blood work shows my Ferritin is 10 ng/mL (low iron stores I think?) Anyway, I have been using the cast iron skillet for my veggies. I had to look up how to take care of the pan. So I added a little oil to it and rubbed it in.

Now I want dessert. I haven't been keeping any sweets on hand so I don't snack too much. I have the cream cheese out on the counter so I can make a little cheesecake. I'm going to poke blueberries in it like

Now I want dessert. I haven't been keeping any sweets on hand so I don't snack too much. I have the cream cheese out on the counter so I can make a little cheesecake. I'm going to poke blueberries in it like usual.
I really like the idea of red potatoes and eggs for breakfast! would you share the recipe-- just thumbnail idea of how you put it together: I presume you fry the potatoes with the eggs-- I suppose one could add any spices one wishes- it sounds really delicious - Thanks in advance

Does the cast iron pan help at all with your levels or is that just your favorite pan? I'm doing monthly labs too and am trying to focus on nutrition... Sorry if that was too nosey :)

I really like the idea of red potatoes and eggs for breakfast! would you share the recipe-- just thumbnail idea of how you put it together: I presume you fry the potatoes with the eggs-- I suppose one could add any spices one wishes- it sounds really delicious - Thanks in advance
I buy tiny red potatoes because I think they taste better. Wash, cut them and fry them in real butter. I used minced onion & minced garlic, kosher salt & black pepper. Then near the end, I sprinkled just a tiny bit of dried Rosemary on them.

I stir them in the pan until they’re coated with the seasonings. Then put a lid on and keep the heat really low. I stir them frequently. When I lift the lid, I let the condensation drip into the pan. Otherwise they’ll dry out.

You can use olive oil instead. Sometimes I make a pan of them in the oven at 400deg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant