Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have been searching the 16 year olds house again today

“A few years ago, he had a problem losing bales of straw. It got heated and the mayor had to intervene. The young man took the situation a little lightly,” a source familiar with the situation told BFM DICI. the stories of the village.
-.-
He is now 16yo, and "a few years ago" he was already driving a tractor with a loaded trailer?? That's a bit too much freedom for a farmer's child in a village, where the driver's license issue is always interpreted plenty generously (in GER also). IMO

“A few years ago, he had a problem losing bales of straw. It got heated and the mayor had to intervene. The young man took the situation a little lightly,” a source familiar with the situation told BFM DICI. the stories of the village.
-.-
He is now 16yo, and "a few years ago" he was already driving a tractor with a loaded trailer?? That's a bit too much freedom for a farmer's child in a village, where the driver's license issue is always interpreted plenty generously (in GER also). IMO

I am not sure what to make of this lad. He has never been to school, he "lives on the fringes of society", he is "nice but lacking in direction".

He may never have had any input into shaping his life, other than the tough life of a farming family, and brushes with others when he has "had accidents with tourists".

Accidents with tourists??

Is there even a school he could have attended or is this sort of "unschooling" accepted in France?
Some nearby countries (thinking of Germany) require formal schooling. Because otherwise you can imagine how little some people will be exposed to/learn/understand about life.

Painting him as a POI is going to be damaging to him. Assumption of innocence. JMO.

Last edited:
Is there even a school he could have attended or is this sort of "unschooling" accepted in France?
Some nearby countries (thinking of Germany) require formal schooling. Because otherwise you can imagine how little some people will be exposed to/learn/understand about life.

Education is mandatory and free in France, from 3-16 years old. Maybe he is (or has been) home schooled, as well as working on the farm.

Education is mandatory and free in France, from 3-16 years old. Maybe he is (or has been) home schooled, as well as working on the farm.

I dont know how to put it politely it but here we have special schools for people maybe who would struggle in a normal school. Maybe he needed such a school and there wasnt one so didnt go?

Last edited:
I dont know how to put it politely it but here we have special schools for people maybe who would struggle in a normal school. Maybe he needed such a school and there wasnt one so didnt go?
Considering that the educational system in France is all about integrating disabled kids into mainstream education, he would have to have some very, very heavy intellectual disability to require a spec ed school. so heavy he would not be able to drive a tractor. And France is a developed country with a lot of spec ed schools.

Considering that the educational system in France is all about integrating disabled kids into mainstream education, he would have to have some very, very heavy intellectual disability to require a spec ed school. so heavy he would not be able to drive a tractor. And France is a developed country with a lot of spec ed schools.
so is England to be fair but its still very hard to get children a place unfortunately.

Thursday 18 October 2023, in the episode of Enquêtes Criminelles dedicated to Émile's disappearance, other leads were mentioned. While the journalists talked about a teenager from the village of Haut Vernet as a suspect, they also mentioned the possibility of kidnapping. In fact, two witnesses saw little Émile walking down the only road in the village of Haut-Vernet. These eyewitness enabled the gendarmes to investigate further, using their Saint-Hubert dogs to find out what might have happened to the child.

Thanks to these animals, investigators wereable to 'track from the start of the family property' and travel 'some fifty meters to the village washhouse', where Émile was last seen. According to a journalist who appeared on Enquêtes Criminelles, this could suggest that the little boy was kidnapped there by 'someone with ill intentions
*Of course I don’t understand a word. I’ll drop this here for anyone that does speak French. You’ll have to visit YouTube.

Thursday 18 October 2023, in the episode of Enquêtes Criminelles dedicated to Émile's disappearance, other leads were mentioned. While the journalists talked about a teenager from the village of Haut Vernet as a suspect, they also mentioned the possibility of kidnapping. In fact, two witnesses saw little Émile walking down the only road in the village of Haut-Vernet. These eyewitness enabled the gendarmes to investigate further, using their Saint-Hubert dogs to find out what might have happened to the child.

Thanks to these animals, investigators wereable to 'track from the start of the family property' and travel 'some fifty meters to the village washhouse', where Émile was last seen. According to a journalist who appeared on Enquêtes Criminelles, this could suggest that the little boy was kidnapped there by 'someone with ill intentions
*Of course I don’t understand a word. I’ll drop this here for anyone that does speak French. You’ll have to visit YouTube.
The teenager and an abduction are not mutually exclusive, I think? Why one or the other??

I agree with previous posters about expanding the search area, his parents noted he was a great walker for his age so we should take their word for it. Hopefully when the vegetation dies back during the next few months things become a bit clearer.

The local teen is also an interesting lead, there's definitely red flags there. Emile also could have shown an interest if he was using machinery. If it was an accident, he would know the area very well to conceal a small body, having grown up in the area. It all could have happened in a very narrow time frame.

(*Cousins' names have been changed)

"An argument broke out the very morning of the child's disappearance in the hamlet of Haut-Vernet. A tractor was also seen that morning in the narrow artery of the hamlet.

A lively and heated exchange between two key characters: the little boy's grandfather and Romain*, the young farmer whose house was searched last week.

The subject of the dispute concerns the use of the shovel of a tractor to flatten a surface of earth in the heart of the hamlet. Work which would have been carried out some time before Saturday July 8 in front of the home of Marc*, Romain's cousin. A young man who is not unknown to investigators since he is one of the only two witnesses to have seen Émile for the last time before his disappearance. This work, discovered by Émile's family during his summer arrival, enraged the little boy's grandfather because one of his walls had allegedly been damaged."

"According to the young man's statements, Romain did not respond to Émile's grandfather and took refuge at his house. Then the two cousins went to a nearby field to move cows.
Did Romain ride the tractor to his cousin's house that morning? “No, he came to my house on foot,” Marc responds straight away. However, a tractor was seen by at least one resident of the hamlet on Saturday July 8 in the morning.

“There were tractors in the surrounding fields since it was the season. But a tractor on the main road of the hamlet which does not serve any fields, it was the first time I saw that," confides this neighbor who failed to identify the farmer who was on the machine.

"There are other farmers who were harvesting during this period. Frankly, I don't understand what the investigators are looking for. A child disappears and we come to look at a young person who has nothing to do with it. We must not be surprised if nothing advances." Marc is indignant, annoyed by the "rumors and people who speak without knowing" about his cousin.

Marc and Romain are very close. From the same generation, they were raised almost together and often spend time together. On the afternoon of Saturday July 8, a phone call was made from Romain's cell phone to his cousin's cell phone. A phone call that raised eyebrows among investigators.
Where was Romain that day at the end of the afternoon? His cousin says he “doesn’t know.” But those around the young farmer swear that he was not in the hamlet of Haut-Vernet. So many questions that Marseille SR investigators wish to clarify.

A few hours after Émile's disappearance, Romain's mother was one of the first people heard by the gendarmes. His vehicle was inspected as was his son's tractor. Before his home was searched last Tuesday, without these new investigations providing any convincing evidence for the moment."

"According to the young man's statements, Romain did not respond to Émile's grandfather and took refuge at his house. Then the two cousins went to a nearby field to move cows.
Did Romain ride the tractor to his cousin's house that morning? “No, he came to my house on foot,” Marc responds straight away. However, a tractor was seen by at least one resident of the hamlet on Saturday July 8 in the morning.

“There were tractors in the surrounding fields since it was the season. But a tractor on the main road of the hamlet which does not serve any fields, it was the first time I saw that," confides this neighbor who failed to identify the farmer who was on the machine.

"There are other farmers who were harvesting during this period. Frankly, I don't understand what the investigators are looking for. A child disappears and we come to look at a young person who has nothing to do with it. We must not be surprised if nothing advances." Marc is indignant, annoyed by the "rumors and people who speak without knowing" about his cousin.

Marc and Romain are very close. From the same generation, they were raised almost together and often spend time together. On the afternoon of Saturday July 8, a phone call was made from Romain's cell phone to his cousin's cell phone. A phone call that raised eyebrows among investigators.
Where was Romain that day at the end of the afternoon? His cousin says he “doesn’t know.” But those around the young farmer swear that he was not in the hamlet of Haut-Vernet. So many questions that Marseille SR investigators wish to clarify.

A few hours after Émile's disappearance, Romain's mother was one of the first people heard by the gendarmes. His vehicle was inspected as was his son's tractor. Before his home was searched last Tuesday, without these new investigations providing any convincing evidence for the moment."

ok but it said in one article that the old man said Emile went one way and the young lad said he went the other way which made no sense but is now saying that the young lad was cousin to the family? The young lad isnt the one who didnt go to school is he?

ok but it said in one article that the old man said Emile went one way and the young lad said he went the other way which made no sense but is now saying that the young lad was cousin to the family? The young lad isnt the one who didnt go to school is he?
I think those lads are converging into one.

JMO

Horrible to think it, but I hope every well, every septic was swept.

I'm of the sad opinion now that Émile died immediately after the one sighting, whether by accident or force and was hidden at once.
He never saw nightfall.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members