GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

The UID's namus profile said that the tattoos looked like they were fairly new, so there's a possibility that he didn't have them when he went missing.

It's mind boggling that someone could be 6'2" and weigh 85 lbs. Were they not feeding him?

I am sure he was getting nurishment but his muscles most likely atrophied due to him not moving for close to a year. Poor guy, it is so sad that no one misses him.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/691

Died at local hospital after nearly one year stay following a hit and run incident in which the decedent was a pedestrian. The accident happened on July 20, 1995.

Black hair, brown eyes, tatoos:

"Virgo" written in blue on left shoulder with the i being dotted with an x, red and blue flaming star or planet in the web between thumb and nidex finger, globe surrounded by letters on left forearm, large serpent-like dragon tattoo on chest

I thought he looked like Alan Lee Morse....Alan had no tatoos, but in 6 years could have easily acquired some. But Alan is not a Virgo....so that would be off.

But Alan is from Georgia, is 6'2, the right age range, brown hair (not black), brown eyes, and I think he resembles the recon....although the recon doesn't show a dimple in the chin, which is pretty noticeable in some pics of Alan...

ALMorse.jpg

ALMorse4.jpg

could there have been a concert scheduled but cancelled yet deadheads showed up to party anyway?

I can't find anything like that....they were supposed to play Boston Garden, and Devore, CA. I have seen NY and Philly as well, but can't confirm. I don't see anything about playing GA.

Phish played GA the month before, they were long gone by July. (Lots of my Dead following friends were also Phish fans.)
What about a tribute band? The Dead has tons of them. Although even if we found out that this UID went to a tribute band concert, would it help us ID him?

I've known a few Deadheads in my life and while some could be considered groupies, they all had real lives. between this guy and the other Grateful Dead UID in Virginia, it makes you wonder what these people did for money to get into the shows and travel to and from them.

I am struck on so many of these threads how it is that someone could simply drop out of the ordinary work-a-day existence and no one seems to report them missing. not family, friends, co-workers, landlords, etc.

I am having a difficult time with the ” virgo” tattoo. It doesn't look like virgo to me. Any thoughts on what else it might say?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

you're right, the last GD show was in chicago on 7/9/95. i am not sure how LE determined this gentleman crossed the street after a grateful dead concert if there was no concert on that date.

however, GD did play atlanta at the end of march, which is the month that mr. cannon (link above) went missing.

Someone should probably check into this. If he was found on the day of a Dead concert, then this was the wrong day. It's pretty important to verify this. The concerts in Atlanta were between 3/26 and 4/30. There was no Dead concert on July 20 in any city. Jerry Garcia died on Aug. 9 1995.

here are my observations about Cannon and why I don't think he is the UID:

UID Cannon
hair color black "dark" brown
hair style normal haircut buzz with bangs (see 2nd
pic from right in Doe link)
tattoos multiple none
zodiac presumed Virgo Libra (Oct 11)
eyes brown hazel/gray
ears silent pierced
DNA available available
circumstances "Deadhead" left for Rainbow Family*

*this is Wikipedia link to the Rainbow Family (with all the pitfalls that come with citing Wikipedia)

Rainbow Family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this page is an unofficial website about the Rainbow Family and it says the 1995 gathering was in New Mexico July 1-7.

http://welcomehome.org/rainbow/

it would seem to me that if his physical description when he was last seen in Nebraska "sometime" in March 1995 was accurate, then it would be extremely difficult for him to have grown out the buzz cut and had all those tattoos put on by March or April (if there really was a GD concert the night he was struck).

if he went off with the Rainbow Family for real then who knows where they would have been after the July gathering in New Mexico.

other links for Cannon:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1691dmne.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1969/1/

ETA: I intended to type columns but it did not work. I hope all can understand what I intended to type.

I thought he looked like Alan Lee Morse....Alan had no tatoos, but in 6 years could have easily acquired some. But Alan is not a Virgo....so that would be off.

But Alan is from Georgia, is 6'2, the right age range, brown hair (not black), brown eyes, and I think he resembles the recon....although the recon doesn't show a dimple in the chin, which is pretty noticeable in some pics of Alan...

ALMorse.jpg

ALMorse4.jpg

For what it's worth, I think they resemble each other as well, although the chin dimple is throwing me off. Alan has not been ruled out according to the UID's NamUs.

Ruled out:
Stephen Byron
Benjamin Cannon
Gregory Dokos
Donald Frye
Donald Izzett
Cengiz Nuray
Mark Seelman
Steve (Steven) Shelton

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/691

Also according to NamUs, he was found on "I-75/85 Southbound near Hwy 166" - there is an amphitheater nearby. It's called Aaron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood, (2002 Lakewood Way, Atlanta, GA 30315) but in 1995 it would have likely been called Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre. I'll do some digging through newspaper archives from around that time to check for concerts, but wanted to throw this out there in the meantime in case anybody has thoughts about it that they are willing to share. :)

http://www.livenation.com/Aarons-Amphitheatre-at-Lakewood-tickets-Atlanta/venue/114696

The Dave Matthews band was at Lakewood on July 22, 1995 - two days after this guy was found. A fan, a groupie, a roadie? I used to know Lakewood like the back of my hand. I got back stage with Aerosmith there, and I have the pictures to prove it!! Yes.... I was a 'groupie' back in the day. :seeya: This guy actually looks familiar to me. I will post it on my facebook page latter, just in case someone I know recognizes him.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-matthews-band/1995/lakewood-amphitheatre-atlanta-ga-6bd6e66e.html

thanks for that link Reannan. if that is the theater then this is the band that played that night:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kyuss/1995/lakewood-amphitheatre-atlanta-ga-bd2f55e.html

it was a group called Kyuss (I never heard of them before but that's just me).

this is what Wikipedia has to say about the group and ironically its then lead singer was a guy named John Garcia (not Jerry Garcia as in the Dead):

Kyuss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not sure how this helps us but this well could have been the actual band performing in Atlanta that night.

I sent an email to the Fulton County ME to try to get some clarification on the concert/date discrepancy. I will let you know when/if they respond.

I wonder about Alan Hoffman. The time is a little off, among a few other things, but the dragon tattoo, I think the resemblance is high.

Here is some basic on him from namus.gov: Missing
First name Allan
Middle name Anthony
Last name Hoffman
Nickname/Alias Tony A. Hoffman
Date LKA July 02, 1989 00:00
Date entered 12/12/2008
Age LKA 25 to 25 years old
Age now 49 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 70.0 to 72.0
Weight (pounds) 120.0 to 130.0
Also a pic:

Attachments

• img_993.jpeg
    img_993.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 179
Can I post a postmortem picture, it looks different. Also, there used to be a picture of this man when he was alive in the hospital and he look way different than the sketch.

Can I post a postmortem picture, it looks different. Also, there used to be a picture of this man when he was alive in the hospital and he look way different than the sketch.

If you can put it under a link with a graphic content warning, yes. But not in open view.

The Dave Matthews band was at Lakewood on July 22, 1995 - two days after this guy was found. A fan, a groupie, a roadie? I used to know Lakewood like the back of my hand. I got back stage with Aerosmith there, and I have the pictures to prove it!! Yes.... I was a 'groupie' back in the day. :seeya: This guy actually looks familiar to me. I will post it on my facebook page latter, just in case someone I know recognizes him.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-matthews-band/1995/lakewood-amphitheatre-atlanta-ga-6bd6e66e.html

BBM

Wooooaaahhh... I was at that show!!!

BTW... As Reannan noted above - We Atlanta folks just call the venue "Lakewood" (no matter what corporate entity owns it in any given year). We don't even add "amphitheater" - if you say "Lakewood" then everyone knows what you are talking about.

It is a very, very, VERY scary area south of the city near the airport.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherriS
Back