GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

could that tattoo actually say "virgon"? i am pretty sure that is something from star trek or battlestar galactica.... sci fi folks, help me out!

as an aside, i am really disturbed that this guy ended his life weighing 85 pounds. a 6' man should weigh more than twice that. at the very least a weight from right after the accident would be way more useful in find him a name...

I am going to guess that because of the brain damage they were only giving him palliative care.

Both the dragon and the "virgo" look to me like they're covering other tattoos. You can see traces around the dragon's upper loop -- looks like something else with wings, and maybe a face looking out through the opening. The outline work may be part of the old design being worked into the new one.

Well, you know, that word might be Vogon, with an x and a curved mark of some kind above it.

I'm not convinced that is supposed to say Virgo.. Looks like a cover up of something else to me.... but it might be.

I totally agree. It looks like a cover up of a previous tattoo...something starting with the letter V.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree. It looks like a cover up of a previous tattoo...something starting with the letter V.

It looks like it could have previously said ”vain.”

I wish we had more information or even a pic for Russell Chase. He would've been missing for 6 years before 1995, but it's possible. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/720/52/

If these tattoos are cover-ups (which they look like to me too - thanks to the show "Tattoo nightmares" :) ), I wouldn't be surprised if he was a runaway and was trying to cover-up identifying marks. Just a thought!

I thought he looked like Alan Lee Morse....Alan had no tatoos, but in 6 years could have easily acquired some. But Alan is not a Virgo....so that would be off.

But Alan is from Georgia, is 6'2, the right age range, brown hair (not black), brown eyes, and I think he resembles the recon....although the recon doesn't show a dimple in the chin, which is pretty noticeable in some pics of Alan...

ALMorse.jpg

ALMorse4.jpg

I wonder if Alan may have gotten some tattoos while in the Navy. There's talk that he went AWOL, and maybe he got cover-up tattoos to hide his Navy ones and disguise his identity. Just another thought!

Did anybody ever submit Alan Morse, Allan Hoffman, or Timothy Smart? None of them are on the ruleouts list and they all look like good candidates, particularly Morse.

Stephen Byron
Benjamin Cannon
Gregory Dokos
Donald Frye
Donald Izzett
Cengiz Nuray
Mark Seelman
Steve (Steven) Shelton

An aside: after looking at the post-mortem photo, which shows how badly the left side of his head was caved in, I think the face-on sketch probably has a strong resemblance to what he looked like in life, without the distortions.

I've known a few Deadheads in my life and while some could be considered groupies, they all had real lives. between this guy and the other Grateful Dead UID in Virginia, it makes you wonder what these people did for money to get into the shows and travel to and from them.

I am struck on so many of these threads how it is that someone could simply drop out of the ordinary work-a-day existence and no one seems to report them missing. not family, friends, co-workers, landlords, etc.

Following the Dead around was the best job I ever had- made hundreds and sometimes over a thousand a show selling food and beverages in the parking lot aka "Shakedown" While many had "real lives" like being college students or having seasonal jobs, many also lived year round on the road. I met so many people who were tossed away by their "families" either because the families were abusive or neglectful to begin with, or because they rejected the alternative lifestyle choices. When a person lives freely without traditional schedules, off the grid and such, it may be hard to know that anything has changed...

here are my observations about Cannon and why I don't think he is the UID:

this page is an unofficial website about the Rainbow Family and it says the 1995 gathering was in New Mexico July 1-7.

http://welcomehome.org/rainbow/

it would seem to me that if his physical description when he was last seen in Nebraska "sometime" in March 1995 was accurate, then it would be extremely difficult for him to have grown out the buzz cut and had all those tattoos put on by March or April (if there really was a GD concert the night he was struck).

if he went off with the Rainbow Family for real then who knows where they would have been after the July gathering in New Mexico.

other links for Cannon:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1691dmne.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1969/1/

ETA: I intended to type columns but it did not work. I hope all can understand what I intended to type.

This person, Ben Cannon looks SO FAMILIAR to me!!! Do you know if anything has been found about him? I will search but thought I'd ask too : )

FYI- The Rainbow Family has a big annual meeting, but throughout the rest of the year there are smaller gatherings and family members are found in many places where music and love is happening- I remember being at a small "Family" festival near the old Woodstock sight right after Jerry Garcia died... I don't like the description of "cult" for the Rainbow Family, it's just the opposite of conservative corporate capitalism, IMHO

Edit- sorry, I tried to shorten the quote for sake of space, but it made the quote thing not work... the first part of this is a quote from an earlier post- apologies

Do we know how long the UID's hair was at the time of the accident? His hair was longish in the PM photo, but it would have continued growing while he was comatose. It could have been a lot shorter when he was injured.

p.s. If you can still edit your post -- all it needs is a "]" character at the end of the [/QUOTE.

Do we know how long the UID's hair was at the time of the accident? His hair was longish in the PM photo, but it would have continued growing while he was comatose. It could have been a lot shorter when he was injured.

p.s. If you can still edit your post -- all it needs is a "]" character at the end of the [/QUOTE.

It looks like the standard is that the family decides how the grooming is done. Seeing as how this guy had no family I'd say they probably allowed the hair to grow out. But then again facial hair grows during a coma too... maybe the hospital kept the same hair-y features he was brought in with so as to better help the public identify him.

And as for the tattoo, I'm a Virgo and I can see how a fellow Virgo would get something to whimsical-looking (you know with the tail on the O and the x or star above the I). This is also a really REALLY stupid longshot but there was an artist named Marshall Jefferson who went by "Virgo" (Marshall Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) -- maybe our UID was a fan?

Timothy Smart doesn't look a good match to me. Timothy's earlobes seem to be attached, while the UID's apparently are not.

could that tattoo actually say "virgon"? i am pretty sure that is something from star trek or battlestar galactica.... sci fi folks, help me out!

as an aside, i am really disturbed that this guy ended his life weighing 85 pounds. a 6' man should weigh more than twice that. at the very least a weight from right after the accident would be way more useful in find him a name...

I think what you're searching for is Vogon, which is a race of beings notable for their stupendously dreadful poetry in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they would've found a match if his DNA were on the NamUs system as a missing person, right? I'm new here, so I thought it would be a good idea if I started by looking for missing people without DNA samples available.

Did anybody ever submit Alan Morse, Allan Hoffman, or Timothy Smart? None of them are on the ruleouts list and they all look like good candidates, particularly Morse.

I'm just curious, did anyone?

I'm surprised Morse is NOT on the rule out list because he went missing about 25 miles from where this guy was found. I know there is a time gap but it wouldn't be to hard to fly under the radar in Atlanta. Both have DNA in Namus.

I'm just curious, did anyone?

I'm surprised Morse is NOT on the rule out list because he went missing about 25 miles from where this guy was found. I know there is a time gap but it wouldn't be to hard to fly under the radar in Atlanta. Both have DNA in Namus.

Just because he isn't on the rule out list it doesn't mean they weren't compared. To my knowledge every time a person's DNA is added to NamUs it is compared to the ones already located in their database.

Timothy Smart's DNA is stated as "initial inquiry underway". So maybe there is still a chance for him?

EDIT: I'm actually mistaken. Rainwater explained better in another post how automatic ruleouts work on NamUs here.

Just because he isn't on the rule out list it doesn't mean they weren't compared. To my knowledge every time a person's DNA is added to NamUs it is compared to the ones already located in their database.

Timothy Smart's DNA is stated as "initial inquiry underway". So maybe there is still a chance for him?

EDIT: I'm actually mistaken. Rainwater explained better in another post how automatic ruleouts work on NamUs here.

Yes, that means Smart's family has only just been contacted about providing DNA.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back