GA GA - Gloria Baird, 23, Atlanta, Dec 1969

The reason I brought up the FBI was to say that if they couldn't find her, how could they declare her AWOL or as a deserter? I understand the beauocracy issue. They were merely attempting to locate someone; however, they didn't locate her and still decided to assume that she left willingly. AWOL (Absent Without Leave) implies that someone decided to leave and not return. There is no evidence to show that she did this. Her car was found abandoned. She hasn't been seen since the party in 1969. Ok, one hand doesn't talk to the other. Happens. I have attempted to talk to the FBI to no avail. I have attempted to talk to the police; however, since a police report wasn't filed (I don't know why), the case won't be re-opened (according to the Atlanta Police Department). Anyway, I'm getting off the mark.... The FBI visited my father, my step-mother, my grandparents and my aunt and as far as I know, they stopped there. Perhaps it was merely protocol. My problem with that is that by assuming she became listed as a deserter or AWOL, it's implied that she attempted to do something illegal. This is hurtful to not only me but also to my grandmother (grandfather now deceased). It's embarassing and it's frustrating. It's embarassing because the family is left with this negative implication and it's frustrating because I, her own daughter, cannot get straightforward answers.

:banghead: The reason I brought up the FBI was to say that if they couldn't find her, how could they declare her AWOL or as a deserter? I understand the beauocracy issue. They were merely attempting to locate someone; however, they didn't locate her and still decided to assume that she left willingly. AWOL (Absent Without Leave) implies that someone decided to leave and not return. There is no evidence to show that she did this. Her car was found abandoned. She hasn't been seen since the party in 1969. Ok, one hand doesn't talk to the other. Happens. I have attempted to talk to the FBI to no avail. I have attempted to talk to the police; however, since a police report wasn't filed (I don't know why), the case won't be re-opened (according to the Atlanta Police Department). Anyway, I'm getting off the mark.... The FBI visited my father, my step-mother, my grandparents and my aunt and as far as I know, they stopped there. Perhaps it was merely protocol. My problem with that is that by assuming she became listed as a deserter or AWOL, it's implied that she attempted to do something illegal. This is hurtful to not only me but also to my grandmother (grandfather now deceased). It's embarassing and it's frustrating. It's embarassing because the family is left with this negative implication and it's frustrating because I, her own daughter, cannot get straightforward answers.

Thanks Richard - I did obtain her service record. It didn't offer me much use. I contacted my congressman and I was provided documentation to assist in getting a hearing to discuss the possibility of changing her AWOL status. I turned it in and it was returned stating that I needed a death certificate..... I moved and wrote to my new congressman and with their help, I'm attempting again, although I'm not expecting much to come of it. I was informed by my congressman's assistant that there was a span of time where the military was cleaning up their files and probably just came across the case in the early 1980's and pretty much just stamped it AWOL in order to get it off their desk. I'm also told that the military gets many requests like mine; so, it could be a really long wait. Regardless, I'm trying.

You hit the nail on the head, but it is a sort of Catch 22 story. Her disappearance (AWOL/Desertion) actually DOES fall under Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) and FBI jurisdiction. And as you point out, that is about all the two agencies care about it. They view it in terms of it being a case of AWOL initially and do little about it but document her absence. Then after 60 days with no reappearance, it becomes a case of Desertion.

But again, it is mainly a documentation game and things are done administratively. There is really little effort made to ever locate Deserters. But the really sad part is that the Military and the FBI generally do Very Little to involve the local police with what is, in fact, a Missing Person Case.

Incidentally, JAG is a Navy acronym for their Judge Advocate General Corps. JAG does not investigate missing persons (Desertion) cases for the Navy, the Naval Investigative Service (NIS) does.

I believe that there may be some procedures for Gloria's daughter to follow which will allow her to pursue her mother's disappearance. Locating her Service Record would be a start. Involving her Congressman or Senator would also be a route to go.

Declaring a person officially deceased is something which could be pursued, but it would not change Gloria's status with CID or the FBI in any way.

Johnny Goodman past away on 02/11/00. According to his brother, he was found in the woods with a few cents in his pocket. He has quite the criminal history (DUI, check fraud, bigamy). His criminal career appears to have begun on 12/16/69; however, I cannot tell what he was charged with. This might have been an arrest due to his AWOL issue, although I'm not sure how that works. Wouldn't that be a military arrest? His brother told me that the FBI visited them in December, 1969....if memory serves me. I'm not sure whether he was questioned about Gloria, although I would assume they would. It's that type of question I asked the FBI in the first place. Atlanta FBI claims they never investigated her though. I've been trying to get information about the car. It's been so long though that information doesn't seem to exist anymore. I'd love to know whether it was investigated for clues if it was abandoned. All I've ever heard is that my grandfather was notified (he owned the car) and he sold it to a family member. I spoke to the family member's daughter, who gained ownership of the car, and she doesn't know anything about where the car was found, except for a memory of it being found in Florida. Others adamently tell me that it was found in Georgia......

The thing I don't understand about this case, is the inferrence is made that she went with Goodman, it says they were both AWOL. Why is there no information as to what happened with him, was he reprimanded ? Was he found shortly afterwards or never ? Was he questioned about her disappearance ? It would be interesting also to know where exactly her car was found and if there was any evidence or clues therein.

Wow! Heehee. This is my father. He's a good guy. He was left caring for me when my mother left and it wasn't easy, to say the least.

Just found this, it probably has no significance, as he was a child at this time:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Immigration

Name: Martin M Siegel
Birth: 1 Jan 1945 - North Carolina
Departure: Bremerhaven, Germany
Arrival: 14 Aug 1948 - New York, New Yor

Incidentally, JAG is a Navy acronym for their Judge Advocate General Corps.

I know that, for some reason when I wrote the post I typed JAG instead of CID, I wasn't paying close attention.

This might be a really dumb question, but have you checked to see if there is any activity on her social security card? Have you tried to track her down using a private detective? I know that can be expensive..........Has her family in Florida been contacted recently?

portlandchurch.org

Scroll down to the two couples at the Marriage Retreat....Check out the woman. in the couple on the left..I know it says Al and Gloria Baird so that is probably his name but still................see a resemblance?

There are no dumb questions. Yes. I have checked her Social Security information through the Social Security Administration. Learned that her card had not been used since 1969. Yes, I have contacted a private detective. There's not much out there. I spoke to the Florida family members about, uh 10 years ago. The person that claimed to know my mother has passed away.

This might be a really dumb question, but have you checked to see if there is any activity on her social security card? Have you tried to track her down using a private detective? I know that can be expensive..........Has her family in Florida been contacted recently?

Here's some information on Johnny Clyde Goodman:

Born: 01/20/51; Died 02/11/00

Georgia Criminal Offenses range from DUI, Bad Checks, Motor Vehicle Theft, Bigamy, Escape and Attempted Rape!

Florida Department of Corrections

Sex Battery/Physical Force!

I had NO idea about the sex crimes!!! Will be finding a way to obtain copies of those records.

It's really hard to believe that she became involved with this guy. As mentioned earlier, he was in the Army. I don't expect his medical record to give me a clue to anything as my mother's didn't; however, I'll get what I can.

Johnny Goodman past away on 02/11/00. According to his brother, he was found in the woods with a few cents in his pocket. He has quite the criminal history (DUI, check fraud, bigamy). His criminal career appears to have begun on 12/16/69; however, I cannot tell what he was charged with. This might have been an arrest due to his AWOL issue, although I'm not sure how that works. Wouldn't that be a military arrest? His brother told me that the FBI visited them in December, 1969....if memory serves me. I'm not sure whether he was questioned about Gloria, although I would assume they would. It's that type of question I asked the FBI in the first place. Atlanta FBI claims they never investigated her though. I've been trying to get information about the car. It's been so long though that information doesn't seem to exist anymore. I'd love to know whether it was investigated for clues if it was abandoned. All I've ever heard is that my grandfather was notified (he owned the car) and he sold it to a family member. I spoke to the family member's daughter, who gained ownership of the car, and she doesn't know anything about where the car was found, except for a memory of it being found in Florida. Others adamently tell me that it was found in Georgia......

Steph, I'd like to examine this case more closely. Is there any way you could construct a chronological list of events as you knoow them, add everything you know into it and post it here, just for reference ? This is really very mysterious, the way she seemed to just vanish. I can't help but think of Mary Shotwell Little's disappearance in conjunction with this also.

I will gladly put together a chronology for everyone.

This case just became a bit more suspicous given the newly found information concerning Mr. Goodman. I read up on Mary Shotwell Littl's case. Very interesting. Thank you.

I'm so upset about finding MORE info on Mr. Goodman. It's easy to be angry and honestly, it's easier than being sad and confused. I called Johnny's brother today to see if he would tell me who his brother was married to before he married my mom and he very abruptly said he didn't know and clammed up. I'm going to try and see if I can find out another way.

Anyway, I'll get to the chronology now. This case has consumed my heart all day and I'm so incredibly grateful that this group is here to help.

Steph, I'd like to examine this case more closely. Is there any way you could construct a chronological list of events as you knoow them, add everything you know into it and post it here, just for reference ? This is really very mysterious, the way she seemed to just vanish. I can't help but think of Mary Shotwell Little's disappearance in conjunction with this also.

Name : Gloria Jean Baird
Aliases : Gloria J. Siegel, Gloria J. Goodman, Buggles, Peanut, G.J.
Birth Date : 11/26/46
Place of Birth: Toledo, OH
Description : 5’3, 107 lbs, blue eyes, light brown hair
(according to 1969 Army application)

Education

1957 – Lady Field Elementary – Toledo, OH
1957 – 1962 – Brunswick Elementary, Brunswick, GA
1962 – 1964 – Brunswick Junior High School, Brunswick, GA
1964 – 1966 – Glynn Academy, Brunswick, GA

06/04/66 – Gloria marries Martin Siegel
Fall 1967 – Gloria leaves Martin and moves to New Orleans; Leaves me behind
01/25/68 – Gloria writes Martin and asks for divorce from New Orleans

Letter sent from:

930 Jackson Avenue, Apt. #3
New Orleans, LA

11/15/68 - Martin and Gloria officially divorce

Prior to 02/04/69 - Gloria writes letter to Martin from Prichard, AL stating that she’s dating individual named: Jimmy Weaver.

Letter sent from:

413 Craftmore Drive
Prichard, AL

02/04/69 – Gloria marries Johnny Clyde Goodman
*Stats: - DOB - 01/20/51; Death - 02/11/00
- Description 5’9, 166 lbs, Blue Eyes, Brown Hair
- Tattoo on medium forearm (left)
- Tattoo on medium forearm (right)

02/14/69 – Petition for Divorce drafted by attorney named Walter M. Henritze, Jr.
** 04/01/69 - Petition signed by Gloria B. Goodman

Divorce Petition States (in part)

[Plaintiff] separated from Defendant [Johnny Clyde Goodman] because of Defendant’s cruel treatment of petitioner….

That Defendant is guilty of willful, cruel treatment as defined by the code of Georgia….

That the acts of cruel treatment, and each of them, inflicted upon petitioner were calculated to cause and, in a matter of fact, did cause petitioner much pain and suffering; that she is in a highly agitated, nervous condition as a result of said cruel treatment; and that petitioner’s health has suffered serious and permanent impairment because of the said treatment upon petitioner by the defendant.

Address in this record:

Gloria B. Goodman
1231 Druid Place
Atlanta, GA

Johnny Clyde Goodman
1368 Mercer
East Point, GA

08/20/69 – Gloria enters Army as Gloria Goodman; Entry: Atlanta, GA
**Assigned to Ft. McClellan, AL
**Military record states that she was also assigned to Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN
**Military record states that Gloria’s service was from 08/20/69 through 05/02/83
**Military record states “Discharged” under status.

12/31/69 – Allegedly last seen at a party in Atlanta, GA

01/13/70 – Army notifies parents that Gloria’s “absent without authority” since 01/04/70

02/02/70 – Gloria dropped from “the rolls of the unit as a deserter”.

02/06/70 – Gloria’s parents notify Army that she was supposed to show for Christmas (1969) and never did.

09/30/82 – The Army notifies Gloria, through her parents, that on 09/30/82, she was eligible for discharge from service with the US Army. The discharge would be under “other than honorable conditions” and that she could provide a statement in her defense if she wished.

05/02/83 – Discharge in Absentia letter mailed to Gloria’s parents along with a Discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions document.

Jimmy Clyde Goodman Research – Info obtained through Internet and court records

Undated – Criminal Attempted Rape
**5 year sentence; No case number
**Georgia Department of Corrections

Undated – Bigamy, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part) & Escape
**Case No. 75597; Cobb County

Undated – Escape, Bad Checks, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part)
**Case No. 122232; Cobb County & Gilmer County

12/16/69 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**07/24/71: Incarceration ends; No case number

11/28/82 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**11/28/82 – Incarceration ends; No case number

12/02/82 – DUI & Driving with suspended license

05/11/83 – Theft by Deception

10/18/83 – Sexual Battery/Physical Force
**Sentenced on 01/25/84 (probation/parole) & 11/24/87 (2 years)
**Florida Department of Corrections – Hillsborough County

02/06/85 – Violated Motor Vehicle Laws, Driving Habitual Violator (Fulton County)
**Case No. 179897; Fulton County

05/09/85 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**12/12/85 – Incarceration ends; No case number

04/16/87 – Driving Habitual Violator
**Case No. 282876; Cobb County
**Court records report that his driver’s license had been revoked as of 05/12/83; Warrant issued for his arrest on this date

12/15/88 – Pled guilty to DUI, Habitual Violator, Improper Lane Change
**Sentenced to 12 months prison, 5 years probation, fined $2050 @ $10/month & no alcohol. On 06/18/91, a Petition for Revocation of Probation was filed.
**Pardoned on 11/01/91

04/14/93 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced to 6 months in jail on 08/23/93

06/11/93 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 08/23/93 (see above)

09/29/94 – Theft of Service; Sentenced on 10/02/97; 30 days in Jail; 11 months probation

11/23/94 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 02/03/95 to 60 days in Jail; 10 months probation

09/30/97 – Theft by Taking; Sentence unknown

03/22/99 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced on 06/22/99

DEATH: 02/11/00 – BELIEVED TO BE BURIED IN MARIETTA, GA

I will gladly put together a chronology for everyone.

This case just became a bit more suspicous given the newly found information concerning Mr. Goodman. I read up on Mary Shotwell Littl's case. Very interesting. Thank you.

I'm so upset about finding MORE info on Mr. Goodman. It's easy to be angry and honestly, it's easier than being sad and confused. I called Johnny's brother today to see if he would tell me who his brother was married to before he married my mom and he very abruptly said he didn't know and clammed up. I'm going to try and see if I can find out another way.

Anyway, I'll get to the chronology now. This case has consumed my heart all day and I'm so incredibly grateful that this group is here to help.

Ya know, I feel I need to say something. I realize that by pointing out Johnny Goodman's past, without knowing for sure whether he was in fact involved, was a bit harsh. I have been working on this case, well, for what feels like my entire life. My professions have been designed around the sense of loss and confusion surrounding this case. I have been very angry at several people throughout the years who were close to Gloria; however, I could never stay angry.... When I learned more about Mr. Goodman, I think I felt I had finally found someone I could truly be angry at. I am a compassionate person and I do realize that although he made some very bad decisions throughout his life, I don't really have the right to point my anger directly at him. Little by little, I am coming to realize what I need to do and shooting anger towards a possible innocent person, isn't going to work. He was obviously troubled and a bit misled in life. It's my hope that I find the truth behind her disappearance and until I do, I'm going to try and stay a bit more neutral.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back