GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very interesting. I think it's interesting that at a time when funding is tight, so much would be put into a humanitarian mission. I'm not saying this to be an <unusual person> or because I begrudge Lauren's family the resources. I am saying it because I am puzzled.
I think we all find it pretty unusual, Jane, but Sgt. Chapman was quoted in the media at least twice this week as having said it was a goodwill gesture. *shrug*

Definitely two different slants on reports of the "success" of the search coming through the media reports -- with the print media having the "no luck" report, with several quotes from Chapman that seem to validate that, and then TV news (that I've seen thus far) going more towards that Chapman/LE have "no comment" about the results. (Could he have thought he was speaking off the record to the Telegraph reporters?) The discrepancy seems odd.

updated story on end of landfill search from macon.com (basically the same as the first version, a few additions)

QUOTE:
No trace of Giddings&#8217; remains at landfill

"The search of a Twiggs County landfill for the remains of a slain Mercer University law graduate ended Friday morning without success.
Two dozen or so searchers raked through unearthed garbage for the past five days but turned up no traces of homicide victim Lauren Giddings."

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2011/09/17/1706898/no-trace-of-giddings-remains-at.html

WHAT....ever........floorlaugh: I hope so to but I dont' buy that, if they found the head, and a gunshot wound, well, they'd hit the floor running, more to know, more to investigate, more possible leads. Of course I dont' suspect gun was involved but I just dont' buy that. Not that LE or others don't have a heart but I think that's alot to spend tying up that many FBI and LE officials without at least HOPES to find more, I think they do NEED more. I'm glad the search was conducted atleast to give some closure on that aspect of the case for the family. Now concentrations can elsewhere. (if there is anywhere else :banghead:)

I am as puzzled as anyone by the intent of the search, I guess. Not that I don't feel sure that all of the searchers hoped that they might be able to return more of Lauren to her family, because certainly I do believe that. I guess maybe the crux of the matter might be that this was just a stone that many felt they could not afford to leave unturned, searching both for solace and for evidence. The question would have always lingered, I guess. We really just don't know what amount and quality of evidence is available to the prosecution in this case, IMO. I do start to think it may be thin...but there could be many surprises being kept quiet. One thing I'm wondering: What if they came up with a zero on the blue-or-grey fiber evidence that they appear to have been trying to match? Maybe something to fill that gap (if there is one) is one thing they were seeking at the landfill.

I am as puzzled as anyone by the intent of the search, I guess. Not that I don't feel sure that all of the searchers hoped that they might be able to return more of Lauren to her family, because certainly I do believe that. I guess maybe the crux of the matter might be that this was just a stone that many felt they could not afford to leave unturned, searching both for solace and for evidence. The question would have always lingered, I guess. We really just don't know what amount and quality of evidence is available to the prosecution in this case, IMO. I do start to think it may be thin...but there could be many surprises being kept quiet. One thing I'm wondering: What if they came up with a zero on the blue-or-grey fiber evidence that they appear to have been trying to match? Maybe something to fill that gap (if there is one) is one thing they were seeking at the landfill.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Backwoods. The pile of refuse had been isolated. It was sitting there staring at them like a huge question mark. The effort had to be made.

I'm still not convinced the search indicates a lack of sufficient evidence. Without an eye witness or a full confession, there are always missing pieces in an investigation. Besides LG's remains, I suppose there was the hope that something else would be found to fill in the gaps. Even with DNA evidence, a clever defense attorney can create reasonable doubt. That's why it's so important to create a complete picture, to fill in all the steps from A-Z leaving little wiggle room for a juror's imagination to wander.

Well of course they would be further investigating if this search had proved to be a success and yielded Lauren's missing remains and in that was found to be a gun shot wound.. Of course that would be additional and extra evidence.. Given what is known of Stephen in a way it wouldn't be surprising that his cowardly azz knew he couldn't or found tht he wasn't able to overpower the fit and athletic match that Lauren proved to be thus him having to resort to a method such as a gunshot in order to overpower and kill his victim.. I don't believe that this would have ever been his original or plan "a" due to it being very quick and likely fairly painless if it were a gunshot wound to the head, as was purposed ^above^.. He very much was a sadistic
Predator that wanted to see his victim suffer while committing deplorable acts on his helpless victim.. From what I've read that definitely seemed to be an important aspect to his murdering someone and I feel that if it were found that he did infact have to resort to a tactic such as this it would have been because Lauren proved to be much stronger and more of a fighter than he had planned for her to be..

Although now in truly giving this a moment of thought as I type this post it would however make sense that if he had indeed ended up having go resort to a gun in overpowering Lauren whatever part of the body was impacted with the actual gunshot most definitely WOULD HAVE TO BE THOROUGHLY DISPOSED OF OR DESTROYED DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE WOUND WOULD BE AN EASILY IDENTIFYING KEY PIECE OF EVIDENCE THAT COULD BE DIRECTLY TIED TO STEPHEN AND HIS FIREARMS.. So in looking at it that way I'd say it's in the realm of possibility that he had to resort to using a gun and is all the more reason that her remains have not been able to have been located..

All in all this landfill search IMO never held true or real promise of holding her remains, ATLEAST IMO it did not.. I honestly believe LE and the DAs office felt similarly that searching the landfill was a total shot in the dark with nothing indicating it held Lauren's remains.. There was truly nothing and I believe that all agencies involved realize and know this better than anyone that it was highly unlikely that the remains were there.. That's why I, unlike others do not see LE as being deceitful and lying to everyone, hiding behind this precious family's pain and desperation of hoping to find Lauren's remains.. I believe they are being honest this was for the family.. THERE NEVER WAS ANYTHING TO INDICATE THAT THE REMAINS WERE THERE!!! it was the family and their private searching that had a hunch and that's what that precious family was hoping and praying that the hunch was truly Gods way of leading them to where Laurens remains were.. LE and FBI CLEARLY SAW IT FOR WHAT IT WAS AND KNEW THERE'D LIKELY BE ZERO EVIDENTIARY VALUE IN THIS SEARCH!! They knew this and they did not go into the search with the intent of finding evidence . This Has been repeated several times by LE and they truly do not have any reason to be lying, because again there was zero evidence that led to this landfill search, nor does the court of public opinion matter like it does for the defense.. Prosecution doesn't show their hand til the trial and the court of public opinion matters not..

As I said when speaking of a gunshot wound being discovered if the remains had turned up.. Sure that wouldve been great, too.. Of course every DA would love to have every single piece of the puzzle of a murder case, but obviously that isn't possible and doesn't happen.. If the family's hunch had unexpectedly yielded results that would have been great for the DA as well.. But all agencies involved full well knew going into this search that there was nothing whatsoever to indicate the remains were in the landfill.. The motive was for the family and I am so happy that they were able to raise the funds to help aid in making this search happen, along with having the resources available to them that were volunteering their time to do so!! Many were not even field agents but rather deskjobs that volunteered their time.. Thank God for people like them and I *know the Giddings even tho this did not yield the results they so desperately desired it to.. Nonetheless I know they are extremely grateful to those who volunteered their time, on their own dime to help a perfect stranger, Lauren and her family..

Jmo, tho!

According to this statement, LE always intended to do another search.

Since then, that area of the landfill has been kept clear of other garbage in case authorities were able to perform a more in-depth search, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/18/1669391/investigators-in-giddings-case.html#ixzz1YFeB9utu

And this one:

Since the first search, the portion of the Dry Branch-area landfill where Mercer’s trash was taken in late June has been kept clear of other garbage in case authorities were to return for a more in-depth search.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/09/10/1697239/new-giddings-landfill-search-expected.html#ixzz1YFhPs4R6

I think the purpose was twofold. One reason was to find LG's remains, and the other was to find more evidence. Or, at least to eliminate the possibilities. If McD goes to trial and is acquitted because some piece of evidence is missing, how could any investigator on this case ever sleep knowing it might be out there lying in that pile of trash?

September 16, 2011
Search for Giddings' Remains Ends at Twiggs Landfill
A Macon Police crime van and several other vehicles rolled out of Wolf Creek Landfill Friday morning.
That's after five days of going through trash and searching for Giddings' remains.

Searchers Find No Trace of Giddings Remains at Landfill
&#8220;No luck,&#8221; Macon police Sgt. Scott Chapman said shortly after noon.

:(

From an earlier report on Friday:

Landfill Searchers "doing all we can" to Help Lauren Giddings Family
&#8220;I think because we had a funeral and we have had a burial that my heart and my mind think of that as closure,&#8221; Karen Giddings, 50, said by phone this week. &#8220;But then, ... I think about the fact that it was just a torso.&#8221;
She paused, then said, &#8220;You think of her beautiful face and hair and her hands -- I want her hands -- and that&#8217;s very hard. But I know that her body isn&#8217;t who she is.&#8221;

Well of course they would be further investigating if this search had proved to be a success and yielded Lauren's missing remains and in that was found to be a gun shot wound.. Of course that would be additional and extra evidence.. Given what is known of Stephen in a way it wouldn't be surprising that his cowardly azz knew he couldn't or found tht he wasn't able to overpower the fit and athletic match that Lauren proved to be thus him having to resort to a method such as a gunshot in order to overpower and kill his victim.. I don't believe that this would have ever been his original or plan "a" due to it being very quick and likely fairly painless if it were a gunshot wound to the head, as was purposed ^above^.. He very much was a sadistic
Predator that wanted to see his victim suffer while committing deplorable acts on his helpless victim.. From what I've read that definitely seemed to be an important aspect to his murdering someone and I feel that if it were found that he did infact have to resort to a tactic such as this it would have been because Lauren proved to be much stronger and more of a fighter than he had planned for her to be..

Although now in truly giving this a moment of thought as I type this post it would however make sense that if he had indeed ended up having go resort to a gun in overpowering Lauren whatever part of the body was impacted with the actual gunshot most definitely WOULD HAVE TO BE THOROUGHLY DISPOSED OF OR DESTROYED DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE WOUND WOULD BE AN EASILY IDENTIFYING KEY PIECE OF EVIDENCE THAT COULD BE DIRECTLY TIED TO STEPHEN AND HIS FIREARMS.. So in looking at it that way I'd say it's in the realm of possibility that he had to resort to using a gun and is all the more reason that her remains have not been able to have been located..

All in all this landfill search IMO never held true or real promise of holding her remains, ATLEAST IMO it did not.. I honestly believe LE and the DAs office felt similarly that searching the landfill was a total shot in the dark with nothing indicating it held Lauren's remains.. There was truly nothing and I believe that all agencies involved realize and know this better than anyone that it was highly unlikely that the remains were there.. That's why I, unlike others do not see LE as being deceitful and lying to everyone, hiding behind this precious family's pain and desperation of hoping to find Lauren's remains.. I believe they are being honest this was for the family.. THERE NEVER WAS ANYTHING TO INDICATE THAT THE REMAINS WERE THERE!!! it was the family and their private searching that had a hunch and that's what that precious family was hoping and praying that the hunch was truly Gods way of leading them to where Laurens remains were.. LE and FBI CLEARLY SAW IT FOR WHAT IT WAS AND KNEW THERE'D LIKELY BE ZERO EVIDENTIARY VALUE IN THIS SEARCH!! They knew this and they did not go into the search with the intent of finding evidence . This Has been repeated several times by LE and they truly do not have any reason to be lying, because again there was zero evidence that led to this landfill search, nor does the court of public opinion matter like it does for the defense.. Prosecution doesn't show their hand til the trial and the court of public opinion matters not..

As I said when speaking of a gunshot wound being discovered if the remains had turned up.. Sure that wouldve been great, too.. Of course every DA would love to have every single piece of the puzzle of a murder case, but obviously that isn't possible and doesn't happen.. If the family's hunch had unexpectedly yielded results that would have been great for the DA as well.. But all agencies involved full well knew going into this search that there was nothing whatsoever to indicate the remains were in the landfill.. The motive was for the family and I am so happy that they were able to raise the funds to help aid in making this search happen, along with having the resources available to them that were volunteering their time to do so!! Many were not even field agents but rather deskjobs that volunteered their time.. Thank God for people like them and I *know the Giddings even tho this did not yield the results they so desperately desired it to.. Nonetheless I know they are extremely grateful to those who volunteered their time, on their own dime to help a perfect stranger, Lauren and her family..

Jmo, tho!

I"m certain they are greatful. I am greatful. You ran with that gunshot thing. Point was, as Backwoods stated, "leave no stone unturned" and in the meantime...........Do a good deed"

I do wish there was more. I feel for the family. My post wasn't in regards to the family. That's a separate emotion, I'm only imagining if that stone had NOT been unturned. That would look bad as well. But now, there is nothing from the landfill to investigate, there is sad but somewhat closure for the family and the LE (knowing they did all they should/could at the landfill) AND they know where she is NOT.

I pray to God that LE has more that we just don't know about. That's alot of damn money to not hope there was something significant there for the investigation. I truly think there were 2 motives. Both involved hope and also covering there gluteus maximus.

Yea, tomkat I got it.. As I said in my thinking about it while posting about a gunshot wound other things relating to that came to my mind and I posted about them.. I understood your post exactly for what it was and nothing more.. Anything I chose to further elaborate about a gunshot were of my own thoughts.. The only thing that was directly related to your post was my stating that of course it's quite obvious that if a gunshot wound were to have been discovered that it woukd be investigated..

September 18, 2011

A Mother's Grief
"In the darkest hours...God draws near."

“We were shown the worst form of evil,” Kaitlyn Wheeler, Lauren’s 24-year-old sister, said recently. “But then (we) came back home, and we’ve been shown the most humanity. So many people have reached out to us. So many are willing to give us the shirts off their back. It evens it out. I think that’s the way it’s supposed to be.”

Nearly three months have passed since her Lauren was stolen. For Karen Giddings, the future is just about impossible to fathom.
“There’s a saying that the Lord never gives you more than you can handle, and I’m praying that maybe it’s just a gradual thing,” she said by phone. “Every week, it seems to get worse and worse and worse. Sometimes I’m afraid that all of a sudden it’s just gonna hit me like a Mack truck and I won’t be able to function or get out of bed. But I think that I’m just getting this in doses. As it becomes more real, it becomes more painful.”

From SouthernKate's link:

“There’s a saying that the Lord never gives you more than you can handle, and I’m praying that maybe it’s just a gradual thing,” she said by phone. “Every week, it seems to get worse and worse and worse. Sometimes I’m afraid that all of a sudden it’s just gonna hit me like a Mack truck and I won’t be able to function or get out of bed. But I think that I’m just getting this in doses. As it becomes more real, it becomes more painful.”

Maybe I missed this, but I saw on Joe Kovac's Twitter that they're having another reporter chat at noon today on Macon.com.

I looked for the link/story on their site but it's either down or they haven't put it up yet.

The other chats were duds with no new info, but I guess they're just trying to keep this "front page" at this point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...alvert-county/2011/09/19/gIQAPXn1eK_blog.html

A recent poster on Macon.com mentioned this article in the Post and if you read the comments at the bottom of the Post article, another statement is made about LG. I do not know if this is her skull, but man would that be creative on the perps' part. Truly the "perfect disguise for the perfect murder". ;);)
:takeabow:

Very interesting. Would blow the whole case out of the water I presume, and lead us back in the direction of who had it in for Bill Giddings ?

Maybe I missed this, but I saw on Joe Kovac's Twitter that they're having another reporter chat at noon today on Macon.com.

I looked for the link/story on their site but it's either down or they haven't put it up yet.

The other chats were duds with no new info, but I guess they're just trying to keep this "front page" at this point.

It's up , Amy Leigh and Joe must be bored again, or looking for web hits .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...alvert-county/2011/09/19/gIQAPXn1eK_blog.html

A recent poster on Macon.com mentioned this article in the Post and if you read the comments at the bottom of the Post article, another statement is made about LG. I do not know if this is her skull, but man would that be creative on the perps' part. Truly the "perfect disguise for the perfect murder". ;);)
:takeabow:
There is a thread about these remains in the Unidentified forum with a link to this article.
http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/24187
Some of the comments mention that homeless people are known to live in the woods where the skull was found. Prince Frederick is about 60 miles south of North Laurel, BTW. I'd be very surprised if the remains are Lauren's, but yes, it would rule out McD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROrgeron