GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we could find out if McD submitted a DNA sample. I don't see how he can be cleared without it. I've forgotten which question Patterson was asked when he hesitated so long and wanted to confer with Winters. Was that in reference to the hacksaw? Guess it's time to review. :book:

I have not watched the hearing again but this is way I remember it. When Buford asked Patterson if SM's DNA was on the hacksaw, he hesitated a long time, seemed to get agitated or nervous to me, because he was flexing his fingers rapidly. Then he said "Not that I'm aware of". He also said he had not seen a written report from the FBI on it. I thought maybe Patterson was holding back on DNA info but he said that LG's DNA was on it so I think it would be difficult for him to say later that he knew her DNA was on the hacksaw but didn't know SM's was.

When Patterson asked to confer with Winters, Buford was asking if the FBI evidence Patterson had received (CP) was directly related to the murder charge.

Anyone want to speculate why it's taking so long to get this case to the Grand Jury?

Am I being impatient or unrealistic in thinking this should have happened weeks ago?

I have not watched the hearing again but this is way I remember it. When Buford asked Patterson if SM's DNA was on the hacksaw, he hesitated a long time, seemed to get agitated or nervous to me, because he was flexing his fingers rapidly. Then he said "Not that I'm aware of". He also said he had not seen a written report from the FBI on it. I thought maybe Patterson was holding back on DNA info but he said that LG's DNA was on it so I think it would be difficult for him to say later that he knew her DNA was on the hacksaw but didn't know SM's was.

When Patterson asked to confer with Winters, Buford was asking if the FBI evidence Patterson had received (CP) was directly related to the murder charge.

about what I bolded in your post: Unless -- once again, this -- there was not yet an acceptable sample of SM's DNA to compare.

Anyone want to speculate why it's taking so long to get this case to the Grand Jury?

Am I being impatient or unrealistic in thinking this should have happened weeks ago?

The grand jury that I served on in my county in GA in late August heard cases that were many months old, 1 that was a year old, and 1 that was in 2009. The 2009 case was origianally supposed to be a federal case but the feds, after consideration, kicked it back to superior court. The cases we heard, except for the 2009 one, were not anywhere near as complicated as Lauren's murder. With the budget cuts, personnel cutbacks, etc that every section of Georgia's government has and is still experiencing, I don't think the seeming delay with this case is worrisome. There are probably many more murder cases that are older than this one awaiting grand jury.

Apparently -- as best we could tell at the time this discussion (in which PlainJaneDoe posted what you quoted) was taking place -- the donated funds were NOT used for the search that took place -- since instead that search was made possible by donations and waivers and such from corporations and agencies involved, as well as the donation of time and equipment and search skills.

PlainJane, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was what you were referencing, wasn't it -- that in tight economic times, such donations from businesses and agencies were probably not easy to find "in the budget" for a strictly good-will mission, without some hope of finding evidence as well.

I really don't think she was saying that she found it odd that individuals would make donations to the cause of a search, if they were able. I think it's wonderful that such donations have been made -- maybe the time will come when they will be needed to search another area.

You interpreted me exactly right!!!

Apparently -- as best we could tell at the time this discussion (in which PlainJaneDoe posted what you quoted) was taking place -- the donated funds were NOT used for the search that took place -- since instead that search was made possible by donations and waivers and such from corporations and agencies involved, as well as the donation of time and equipment and search skills.

PlainJane, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was what you were referencing, wasn't it -- that in tight economic times, such donations from businesses and agencies were probably not easy to find "in the budget" for a strictly good-will mission, without some hope of finding evidence as well.

I really don't think she was saying that she found it odd that individuals would make donations to the cause of a search, if they were able. I think it's wonderful that such donations have been made -- maybe the time will come when they will be needed to search another area.
Apparently, you don't know where or how we made our donations as we did not donate directly to the family.

Thanks, 3doglady. I thought so but wanted to confirm before I went any further. I did look at the video again, and it's as you've stated. He was very hesitant to answer the question about whether or not McD's DNA was on the hacksaw.

about what I bolded in your post: Unless -- once again, this -- there was not yet an acceptable sample of SM's DNA to compare.
Yep. That's where I was heading and the reason I wanted to take another look at the video. I really feel for Det. Patterson and the way he labored over the questions. Talk about a rock and a hard place. Ugh! Think about how difficult it is to answer a tough question when you're not allowed to give a complete answer, and the little bit you can say sounds so bad. I think that's why he appeared reluctant to answer some of the questions. Going back to the question about the DNA on the hacksaw, perhaps what he wanted to say was "We don't know whether McD's DNA is on the hacksaw or not because we don't have a $&*!@ sample for comparison!"

I ask myself the same question everyday, Knox. On the one hand, three months seems like a long time. On the other hand, why should the DA rush? McD's not going anywhere. From a defense standpoint, I don't see an advantage to speeding things along in this case, either. Since McD's going to remain incarcerated on the other charges anyway, it's best to ride it out because the more time that passes until trial, the better the chances of an acquittal. Gives Buford more time to do some fact gathering, too.

Am I correct in thinking that no "speedy trial" clock starts until after a Grand Jury indictment...? I've been trying to research this a bit, specific to Georgia, and getting a little confused in the process. Where have all our lawyers gone, on this thread? Wish one of them -- or anyone, for that matter, who feels Georgia-law savvy enough -- would comment on the situation.

Seems the accused in such a situation could get stuck in a kind of limbo...but surely there is a limit on for how long? Of course, as you said, bessie, maybe for now there is "no rush" for either side...but I just would like to know a little more about the time requirements of the process, particularly with no indictment yet made.

Maybe this would be a good topic for the Macon Telegraph, too, to research and let us hear about, since this seems to be sort of a slow spot in visible things going on with the case.

Am I correct in thinking that no "speedy trial" clock starts until after a Grand Jury indictment...? I've been trying to research this a bit, specific to Georgia, and getting a little confused in the process. Where have all our lawyers gone, on this thread? Wish one of them -- or anyone, for that matter, who feels Georgia-law savvy enough -- would comment on the situation.

Seems the accused in such a situation could get stuck in a kind of limbo...but surely there is a limit on for how long? Of course, as you said, bessie, maybe for now there is "no rush" for either side...but I just would like to know a little more about the time requirements of the process, particularly with no indictment yet made.

Maybe this would be a good topic for the Macon Telegraph, too, to research and let us hear about, since this seems to be sort of a slow spot in visible things going on with the case.

Backwoods,
I did some reading around the internet and am also confused about this. My understanding of time constraints is that an accused person has to be arrainged with 72 hours of arrest and he/she can request a speedy trial. This site gives this information. It is the clearest explanation I found.
http://research.lawyers.com/Georgia/Criminal-Process-in-Georgia.html

I ask myself the same question everyday, Knox. On the one hand, three months seems like a long time. On the other hand, why should the DA rush? McD's not going anywhere. From a defense standpoint, I don't see an advantage to speeding things along in this case, either. Since McD's going to remain incarcerated on the other charges anyway, it's best to ride it out because the more time that passes until trial, the better the chances of an acquittal. Gives Buford more time to do some fact gathering, too.

Winters called Buford’s questioning a “fishing expedition” and said that there would later be an appropriate time to turn over all information if the case is presented to a grand jury. Judge Shurling allowed questioning for information regarding the murder charge and sustained objections by D.A. Winters concerning information related to the case as a whole.

Now that the prosecution may proceed with the case, it is up to District Attorney Greg Winters as to when the case will be presented to a grand jury. Winters has previously stated that there is no time frame as to when it will be presented and the prosecution could wait till more evidence from the FBI and GBI is returned to police.

After it is presented to a grand jury, the jury may choose to indict Stephen McDaniel. Floyd Buford has previously stated that if indicted, McDaniel will plead not guilty.

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...Murder-Charge-Against-McDaniel-128470773.html

According to this article Winters has no time frame on presenting the case to the grand jury.

I'm a little confused about the evidence aspect of this case. The FBI comes in and offers their help. Evidence is collected and flown to the crime lab. Is that normally how it is transported? I guess what I am trying to point out is there seemed to be a great rush to get evidence tested, initially. Now it seems to have stalled. Bigger cases being attended to, McD is behind bars no need to rush processing, all other items tested are producing negative results? I realize there is progress being made behind the scenes and the silence at this point in the case is normal. That being said, I wish a reporter would call Winters and Buford and get a case update. Online chats with reporters who cannot answer any of the questions posed, is useless. Call the DA's Office and Buford, ask for a statement.

The last interview and story with Karen Giddings was painful to read. My thoughts are with Lauren's family and friends as they wait for progress in the case.

I don't see anything on the macon.com web site yet (maybe I am just missing it somehow), but in the print edition of the Macon Telegraph today there is a "coming Sunday" blurb about an article in which "reporters speak to Stephen McDaniel's grandfather".

I don't see anything on the macon.com web site yet (maybe I am just missing it somehow), but in the print edition of the Macon Telegraph today there is a "coming Sunday" blurb about an article in which "reporters speak to Stephen McDaniel's grandfather".

I saw on Joe Kovac's Twitter that it said McD's Grandpa was "stung by his dashed dreams and possible dark side." Should be up after midnight on Macon.com

Update: He tweeted again - this is the grandpa that visited him in jail and saw something "dark and inhuman" (and several other similar adjectives listed)

I just re-read my post from this morning, lol. Conflict much?

What I wanted to convey is, I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly and the reason behind that. But as a person who always completes deadlines and never leaves a to-do list undone, it frustrates me. Patience is not my virtue.

I saw on Joe Kovac's Twitter that it said McD's Grandpa was "stung by his dashed dreams and possible dark side." Should be up after midnight on Macon.com

Update: He tweeted again - this is the grandpa that visited him in jail and saw something "dark and inhuman" (and several other similar adjectives listed)

The "upcoming" blurb in today's print Telegraph names the grandfather and spotlights a few much more positive comments from him about SM. It will be interesting to see how they present this. Sounds like light-and-shadows imagery again.

This is also the grandfather that was named in the comment section on a macon.com article a few weeks back -- in a comment that was soon removed.

And here it is:

http://www.macon.com/2011/09/25/1717788/mcdaniels-grandfather-stung-by.html

It seems like reality has finally sunk in for their family. Obviously, something snapped within Stephen - it's a scary thought. Maybe a bookworm, although odd, was much loved by his family - and his grandpa says he was a completely different person in just weeks? That gives me chills.

An interesting note - that Buckner's restaurant he speaks of as their last family gathering is on the same exit as the GA prison in Jackson where they execute and house death row inmates.

From your link, SouthernKate.

QUOTE:

McDaniel’s grandfather stung by dashed dreams, possible ‘dark side’
Suspect in Giddings slaying a "perfect grandson," says <name removed - maternal grandfather>

... &#8220;It&#8217;s enough for me to hear a little bit. I really don&#8217;t want to accept the truth, I guess. If it is the truth,&#8221; <name snipped> said. &#8220;I&#8217;m gonna let them prove things, see. And they probably will. Then I&#8217;ve got to accept what the truth is. I&#8217;m not a fool not to accept facts.&#8221;

He hasn&#8217;t much talked about the situation with his daughter, <name snipped>, Stephen&#8217;s mother.

&#8220;I know that her heart&#8217;s broken, and I don&#8217;t want to stir up an injured place,&#8221; <name snipped> said. &#8220;That&#8217;s kind of like pulling a broke arm. Just leave it alone.&#8221;

He can scarcely absorb the charges himself.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve had a perfect grandson for 25 years,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If this is true, he&#8217;s went from an excellent grandson to something that, that I can&#8217;t comprehend. It&#8217;s beyond me. ... If there was 1,000 people out there, I would&#8217;ve thought 999 would&#8217;ve been in trouble. Not him.&#8221; ...

more at:
http://www.macon.com/2011/09/25/1717...-stung-by.html

Sad and baffling.

How sad, Backwoods. :(

All of these terrible crimes committed... I don't think that the people that commit them understand how many hearts and souls they destroy in the process.

Talk about the complete opposite of the butterfly effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjane99