GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep the thread up and to make a speculation, I finally just started watching Dexter from Episode 1, Season 1. I have always been an HBO person, but we just got Showtime with our new package. Wow!! Is all I can say. Has been very disturbing to watch as I believe I read an account on the other site about Dexter from SMD, and how it was rumored and I do not know if ever made true that there is Walmart Video evidence of Smd purchasing heavy rope and ponchos, which makes me cringe because Season 1 of Dexter is all about ponchos, draining body of blood, mutilation of parts etc. I have had a really hard time watching, as it all seems too coincidental. And how cleanly and neatly Dexter does things to not be traced.

I believe that the items purchased on the WalMart video have indeed remained in the "rumor" category, as far as any official comment -- but the article below says a WalMart employee reported he purchased ponchos.

Also -- according to macon.com and "a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation", anyway -- ponchos were found in SM's apartment:

Glenda McDaniel said she knows nothing about purchases Stephen is said to have made at a Macon Wal-Mart, transactions that have investigators have scrutinized. In mid-July, after an employee at the Gray Highway Wal-Mart told a Telegraph reporter that Stephen McDaniel had bought rain ponchos there and that police had inquired there. A law enforcement source familiar with the case said authorities had found ponchos in Stephen McDaniel’s apartment. But the law enforcement source did not say whether the ponchos had any bearing on the case.

(bolding in the quote is mine)

I started following a couple of other cases, but I always check this thread first.

Not too much to the story at link below -- and nothing directly related to Lauren's case, but since there just ISN'T any news about her case in local media right now, thought some of you might like to see the included video clip of DA Greg Winters and his opponent David Cooke.

Bibb DA Candidates Debate at Mercer

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/201281/175/Bibb-DA-Candidates-Debate-at-Mercer

And just found this one -- longer story about the debate, at macon.com/Telegraph site:

Winters, Cooke debate at Mercer law school
http://www.macon.com/2012/10/22/2222504/winters-cooke-debate-at-mercer.html

I believe that the items purchased on the WalMart video have indeed remained in the "rumor" category, as far as any official comment -- but the article below says a WalMart employee reported he purchased ponchos.

Also -- according to macon.com and "a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation", anyway -- ponchos were found in SM's apartment:

(bolding in the quote is mine)

Oh, yes, the WalMart purchases. We heard the torso was wrapped in black plastic? Am I remembering correctly? If the same kind of poncho was found in the trash can, that would be pretty strong circumstantial evidence. IMO

I wonder what else they took out of the apartment. I remember watching LE carry out bags and bags of evidence. The image that sticks in my mind is the rather tall object with what appeared to be a long neck. From the way the detective was holding it, it looked almost triangular in shape.

Oh, yes, the WalMart purchases. We heard the torso was wrapped in black plastic? Am I remembering correctly? If the same kind of poncho was found in the trash can, that would be pretty strong circumstantial evidence. IMO

I wonder what else they took out of the apartment. I remember watching LE carry out bags and bags of evidence. The image that sticks in my mind is the rather tall object with what appeared to be a long neck. From the way the detective was holding it, it looked almost triangular in shape.

bbm: I'm pretty sure it was confirmed at one of the hearings -- the commitment hearing, I think? -- that the torso plastic was black garbage bags, three or five (weird I can't remember number for sure), one inside the other.

The tall thing -- don't remember it, but that sounds almost like it could have been a lamp. (But why...? Probably not.)

Gosh, BW, you've got a mind like a steel trap. :) I do recall the multiple trash bags now that you mention it.

The object in the evidence bag, it starts about 40 seconds into the video. You can see something pressing against the paper bag from the inside.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/135428/175/Investigators-at-Giddings-Apartment-Complex

After I looked at it again, I'm not sure it has a "neck", but it appears to be tall and solid. Any ideas about what it might be?

Gosh, BW, you've got a mind like a steel trap. :) I do recall the multiple trash bags now that you mention it.

The object in the evidence bag, it starts about 40 seconds into the video. You can see something pressing against the paper bag from the inside.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/135428/175/Investigators-at-Giddings-Apartment-Complex

After I looked at it again, I'm not sure it has a "neck", but it appears to be tall and solid. Any ideas about what it might be?

bbm: oh yeah -- and I'm constantly getting caught in it, too, LOL!

...About the object in the video -- I tried, but I am going to have to look again tomorrow when (I hope) my contact lenses will be in better shape -- that clip is so dark to begin with, and then add to that seeing double and I can hardly make out anything tonight.

Macon's channel 13WMAZ had Macon Judicial Circuit DA Greg Winters and his challenger, David Cooke, on for sort of a mini-debate yesterday. The debate can be seen in the video at the link below. Lauren's case is mentioned.

There is also a print article at the link.

Cooke, Winters Battle for Macon Judicial Circuit DA Slot

... For the most part, Cooke is on offense, saying Winters mishandled the Lauren Giddings murder case, and has a soft record on crimes against women.

Winters contends Cooke has his facts wrong. He argues the proof that he's an effective district attorney is in the endorsements from the Bibb, Crawford, and Peach Sheriff's offices. ...
video and article at: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...ers-Battle-for-Macon-Judicial-Circuit-DA-Slot

bbm: oh yeah -- and I'm constantly getting caught in it, too, LOL!

...About the object in the video -- I tried, but I am going to have to look again tomorrow when (I hope) my contact lenses will be in better shape -- that clip is so dark to begin with, and then add to that seeing double and I can hardly make out anything tonight.

The video would not load for me, so can't see what it was. But I remember discussing a sword or machete collection? Didn't we think that was what was in the bag?

The video would not load for me, so can't see what it was. But I remember discussing a sword or machete collection? Didn't we think that was what was in the bag?

There was a sword collection, but I can't remember if we speculated earlier that that might be what is in the bag bessie pointed out a few posts ago.

I was able to watch the video the other night, but just couldn't make much out (it was taken at night).

bumping up and hoping that getting Tuesday's election over with will put this case back on track

bumping up and hoping that getting Tuesday's election over with will put this case back on track

bbm: Amen to that, pearl -- me, too!

I am very glad that in Georgia DAs are elected (thinking that in some states they are appointed...?), I think that's as it should be -- but I have to think that everything surrounding an election often disrupts the flow of things in the office.

Yep, we did speculate about the bag might hold those things. I just wish we knew for sure. I tried to get a few stills from the video, but they all came out very dark.

Yes, I too recall the torso being found inside garbage bags within garbage bags(as mentioned above several garbage bags IIRC)..but I also do recall that the torso was said to have been wrapped in some type material.. I recall my mind going immediately to literal "material" as in fabric to which you all immediately brought me to reality that "material" did not at all necessarily mean it was actual material/fabric but rather the more general term of the word material as in any number of different types of material such as plastic for example..

I also recall discussion of the possibility of his using plastic ponchos as not only the material for which he wrapped at the very least the torso, but I also brought up the possibility that he could have used the plastic ponchos as a preventitive type measure in protecting such type surface as the bathroom floors, walls, etc during the dismemberment.. Not necessarily fully protecting all of those surfaces but rather better containment and easier clean up..jmo.

I haven't yet clicked on your link above, bessie re: the long object that appeared to have a triangular shape at either its top or bottom..but just going strictly off what I vaguely remember of that particular image my initial thought was some type of broom perhaps with a triangular type attachable scoop pan..or I recall discussion of one of the floor type lamps as well...hmmm..now I've really piqued my own curiosity of what the object was so I'm now off to click on your link to refresh my memory on what exactly it looked like..

All jmo..

ETA: ok just watched video at link and you all can officially ignore my above opinion regarding the long/triangular shaped at the top object..IT IS NOT AT ALL WHAT I AM RECALLING that resembled a possible size or shape of a broom..lol.. God Gawd am I having Alzheimer issues already in my mid-thirties??..lol..sometimes the different details of these many different cases seem to all mesh and mash together for me..please disregard my ignorant sounding memory of believing any of the objects seen on the video at the above link were in any way resembling a broom..lol..my bad:blushing:

Bibb District Attorney Macon Judicial Circuit
Last Updated: Nov-06-2012 09:17 PM Eastern Standard Time

Precincts Reporting:

59% David Cooke
41% Greg Winters

Interesting

Bibb District Attorney Macon Judicial Circuit
Last Updated: Nov-06-2012 09:17 PM Eastern Standard Time

Precincts Reporting:

59% David Cooke
41% Greg Winters

Interesting

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I would love to hear the locals take on this.

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I would love to hear the locals take on this.

I'm exhausted -- I'm a poll worker in my county (not Bibb, but in the same judicial circuit), and it was a long day -- but I wanted to post this link:

Cooke’s win fulfills “lifelong dream” to be DA

David Cooke unseated incumbent District Attorney Greg Winters on Tuesday night, winning the chief prosecutor’s job in the Macon Judicial Circuit. ...​

Because I am a poll worker, I've tried to be careful not to express any personal leaning in this race on this public forum, as that would be improper -- but in this case it wasn't too much of a problem for me to refrain, because I felt so torn over which of these candidates to vote for myself.

I will say that the results pretty much stunned me -- just because I sort of felt Winters probably would be a sure thing, after all that "went on" with the campaigns and after the Telegraph/macon.com endorsed Winters soundly on Sunday (as many area attorneys and law enforcement already had):

http://www.macon.com/2012/11/04/2237244/endorsements-bibb-judicial-circuit.html

Just goes to show what I know -- I sure called this one wrong.

I have no idea if/how the changeover might affect Lauren's case. Anybody...?

Bless your heart, BW. I know you must be exhausted.

I'm curious what impact LG's case had, if any, on the outcome in the DA's race. As for how the case might be impacted now, I hope the new DA will be eager to roll up his sleeves and delve into his caseload. I don't see how the change can be beneficial to McD other than stretching out the delays.

Bless your heart, BW. I know you must be exhausted.

I'm curious what impact LG's case had, if any, on the outcome in the DA's race. As for how the case might be impacted now, I hope the new DA will be eager to roll up his sleeves and delve into his caseload. I don't see how the change can be beneficial to McD other than stretching out the delays.

personally didn't care for Winters, trust Cooke less, could be wrong, just hope Cooke does a good job and it helps LG case and doesnt' hurt it atleast, dont' know the ramifications this change could have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman