GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the items purchased on the WalMart video have indeed remained in the "rumor" category, as far as any official comment -- but the article below says a WalMart employee reported he purchased ponchos.

Yeah I remember when the Walmart video rumor broke early on, then suddenly not another word about it. The version I recall said they had him on video buying ponchos and the hacksaw during the time she was missing, folks said the ponchos were like what Dexter used.

I don't think there is any truth to it. That would be the "smoking gun" and rumors of them having solid evidence would leak. Sheesh the video rumor leaked and that was the ONLY rumor that wasn't later verified by the authorities. Winters would have used it already.

Here's one fellow's take on why the DA election turned out as it did:

Professor: District attorney’s race decided by party line voting

Although the candidates spent more than $150,000 campaigning to be district attorney, Tuesday’s race in the Macon Judicial Circuit was decided by party-line voting.

“Ninety-nine percent of the election is explained by people casting party ballots,” said Chris Grant, an associate professor of political science at Mercer University. ...

...also interesting, from the same article:

...Assistant District Attorney Sharell Lewis said the mood in the office Wednesday was “somber.” She said there was an air of uncertainty as staffers anxiously await news of Cooke’s plans once he is sworn in....

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/11/07/224...rneys-race.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=po

I recall discussion of the possibility the swords and knives were removed from SM's apartment in a plastic container mentioned in this article:

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...n-from-McDaniels-bound-for-FBI-125922229.html
~snipped~
Detectives brought in brown paper bags and a plastic tub container to collect more evidence that will be tested by the FBI.
However, the plastic container shown in the accompanying video doesn't look long enough to hold swords. If they removed SM's sword collection in paper bags, I hope the swords were encased in sheaths. :/

None of the following items, all from Macon media in the past few days, relate directly to Lauren's case -- but I thought that some of you who have followed the case and its myriad Mercer connections might find them interesting.

Mercer University Enrollment Is on the Rise

Enrollment is up for the 6th year in a row
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Mercery-University-Enrollment-Is-on-the-Rise-177796161.html

(I remember that, from early on, from time to time it was mentioned that Mercer likely had concerns about the fallout from Lauren's murder in terms of enrollment, etc.)

Jimmy Carter among new Mercer University trustees

When Mercer University trustees gather Friday for their fall meeting, one of them will have Secret Service protection. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/11/08/2241881/jimmy-carter-among-new-mercer.html#storylink=misearch

Carter says he wants to contribute to Mercer
http://www.macon.com/2012/11/09/2243392/president-carter-attends-meeting.html

Nancy Grace set to receive Mercer honor
http://www.macon.com/2012/11/08/2242354/nancy-grace-set-to-receive-mercer.html#storylink=misearch

ETA: BTW, I think (can't find a sure-thing reference right at the moment) newly-elected DA David Cooke is -- you guessed it -- a graduate of Mercer's Walter F. George School of Law. So, in that sense, the Mercer "roll call" of this case will remain intact.

'Round about now is a time I'd sure like for one of the "truly local" posters who have seemed to have a close-range vantage point to check in at WS -- say, AgentFrankLundy.

'Round about now is a time I'd sure like for one of the "truly local" posters who have seemed to have a close-range vantage point to check in at WS -- say, AgentFrankLundy.
That makes two of us, BW. It's hard to believe that nothing at all is being leaked. No rumors, no gossip (not that we could post it here :lipssealed:) . But seriously, is no one at all talking about Lauren's case?

Oh, Agent Fraaank...

Total speculation on my part, but I am thinking there will eventually be a plea deal. Surely the defense has had time to go through the evidence and file their motions, but we have heard nothing.

Hello Sleuthers, Agent Lundy checking in, with not much news to report, but one tidbit. Hogue and Buford were waiting until the election was over to file their motions. Why, I am not sure, but the fact that David Cooke will inherit the case from Greg Winters is interesting in and of itself. Will he change things/take the death penalty off the table ? I do not know, but I would if I was him. ALL
(virtually all, I believe there may be one piece of direct) of the evidence is circumstantial. David Cooke made a big issue of the way Greg Winters handled the prosecution of this case, especially the 90 day time period expiring for the indictment. Cooke should be careful what he has asked for, because now all eyes will be on him to get a guilty verdict. I guess if he doesn't he can always blame his predecessor (sound familiar?) I am back on the case , will try to find more to report on.

Boy, Agent Frank, you sure have good ears! :lol:
Glad to hear you're back on the case. I'm not too happy to hear about the almost exclusively circumstantial evidence, but we'll see. If it's strong and Cooke presents it properly, then it will suffice.

Thanks for the update. ;)

Hello Sleuthers, Agent Lundy checking in, with not much news to report, but one tidbit. Hogue and Buford were waiting until the election was over to file their motions. Why, I am not sure, but the fact that David Cooke will inherit the case from Greg Winters is interesting in and of itself. Will he change things/take the death penalty off the table ? I do not know, but I would if I was him. ALL
(virtually all, I believe there may be one piece of direct) of the evidence is circumstantial. David Cooke made a big issue of the way Greg Winters handled the prosecution of this case, especially the 90 day time period expiring for the indictment. Cooke should be careful what he has asked for, because now all eyes will be on him to get a guilty verdict. I guess if he doesn't he can always blame his predecessor (sound familiar?) I am back on the case , will try to find more to report on.

I am not as local as you (I am 10 miles north) but I know folks with ears in Macon (including Mercer) and yeah, the word is no hard evidence. Gossip is king around these here parts.

It will come down to a battle of wits between the prosecution and the defense. Hogue is darn good, I wonder if the new DA can best him?

I don't see a plea deal coming. No way. Bibb County Jury, no smoking gun, great defense attorney; no reason to plea.

Remembering Lauren and her family today.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

hmmm, alot can be missed apparently and how it's presented or IF evidence is presented, this is just sickening.........

I pray Lauren's trial goes better than THIS

thttp://www.windstream.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA2P3N2G2%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

With the holiday season here and then the changeover in DAs at the first of the year ...<sigh> ... I think maybe we are in for yet another long dry spell in developments in this case.

What I don't get is the absolute silence from local media outlets -- it's as though they have placed a gag order on themselves.

Given the original intense local media focus, you'd think someone would at least run a story to say, basically,"Isn't it weird how nothing's happening in this case...?" It's not as though every story that ran in earlier stages was jam-packed with true "news" or showed overmuch concern with preserving the venue for any trial. Things sure changed.

Backwoods, I think there is just nothing going on that is news worthy about the case right now . Hogue and Buford are preparing their motions , they should file the first of them in about two weeks. Stay tuned. McDaniel remains in jail and cannot come up with bail money from any source. I especially agree with your last paragraph . Now macon.com has gone to a pay site , in case you haven't noticed, so you better believe they are going to use this trial as one way to get their number of subscribers up , when the time comes.

Backwoods, I think there is just nothing going on that is news worthy about the case right now . Hogue and Buford are preparing their motions , they should file the first of them in about two weeks. Stay tuned. McDaniel remains in jail and cannot come up with bail money from any source. I especially agree with your last paragraph . Now macon.com has gone to a pay site , in case you haven't noticed, so you better believe they are going to use this trial as one way to get their number of subscribers up , when the time comes.

Thanks, AgentFrank.

bbm: Ah, so the changeover to pay site at macon.com has come to pass, then. I had heard it was in the offing, but I've been really busy and haven't surfed over there in a week or so. Guess I will encounter a roadblock if I do!

And Houston County gets Greg Winters, did I hear that correctly? Not relevant just interesting, both Bibb and Houston need NEW blood........ Merry Christmas Everyone! I continue to pray for the LG Families and SM Families

And Houston County gets Greg Winters, did I hear that correctly? Not relevant just interesting, both Bibb and Houston need NEW blood........ Merry Christmas Everyone! I continue to pray for the LG Families and SM Families

bbm: Yep, I think you did, tomkat. This link has confirmation:

Winters to Join Houston County DA's Office

...Look for the entire interview with Greg Winters later here on 13wmaz.com.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/207536/153/Winters-to-Join-Houston-County-DAs-Office

(What has me scratching my head a little, though, is that on Tuesday evening, WMAZ ran a lengthier piece with some of the interview with Winters that's foreshadowed at the above link. I tried to find it online later Tuesday night to post here, but it was not posted -- and it still seems not to be. He was asked, among other things, what advice he would give incoming DA David Cooke. I did not hear the whole thing -- don't think Lauren's case was mentioned but not entirely sure. Just wondering why they have not posted the interview online, after including a "check back here" type of blurb in Monday's link posted above.)

Merry Christmas to you, too, tomkat -- and to all here! I think of both families often, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea