GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just my point. IF he did purchase the items for nefarious reasons, it was foolish to use his Kroger's card. But maybe he couldn't resist because otherwise he'd pay full price, something he'd be loathe to do.

Can't believe I don't know the answer to this....but was he planning to move out in a few weeks too? When was his lease up? At the end of the summer? Did we hear or read anything about that?

I ask because if he was planning to move in a few weeks then buying scissors, rope, bleach, rubber gloves, etc...could be in preparation for cleaning up the apartment, packing and moving. He could have also been buying packing tape, sponges and other items at the same time.

If he bought a top quality chef's meat knife (and he was not know for cooking gourmet meals at home) now that would be unusual and suspicious!

Well, I doubt an anti-pink ruling will stop Lauren's family. They will have to wear pink under garments or ribbons.

Justice for Lauren

Does the wearing of pink in honor of LG during trial in courtroom cause disturbances. I can see where it might sway the jury in sympathy but they havce to look at facts, do they not? What a shame, you get murdered (AND OTHERWISE) but family can't wear your favorite color in your honor

Trials are about evidence. Wearing "No snitches" t-shirts....or even police uniforms by real police officers during the trial of an accused cop killer has been deemed prejudicial by judges because quite frankly it is. See Backwoods article.

Humans are herd animals and they are subject to psychological "peer pressure". If a jury trying the cop killer sees a sea of police uniforms you can be sure that will have an impact on them, likewise if a jury looks out and sees a sea of pink every day for weeks on end...and is stared at by people wearing pink they will also be influenced.

We all know that is the truth. Let the real evidence and facts speak for themselves.

If it is about the facts then let the facts be the focus. Let the justice system work as it should.

Trials are about evidence. Wearing "No snitches" t-shirts....or even police uniforms by real police officers during the trial of an accused cop killer has been deemed prejudicial by judges because quite frankly it is. See Backwoods article.

Humans are herd animals and they are subject to psychological "peer pressure". If a jury trying the cop killer sees a sea of police uniforms you can be sure that will have an impact on them, likewise if a jury looks out and sees a sea of pink every day for weeks on end...and is stared at by people wearing pink they will also be influenced.

We all know that is the truth. Let the real evidence and facts speak for themselves.

If it is about the facts then let the facts be the focus. Let the justice system work as it should.

Does the appearance of the defendent affect the jury or the facts?

I, personally, am sick and tired of so much leniency and allowances made for defendants in the name of "justice".

A vibrant young woman with everything in the world to live for, was heinously murdered and dismembered.

If her loved ones want to give her memory and spirit a "voice" in the courtroom, they damn well should be able to.

Sorry, but, this one just irks me to no end. Bring pictures of Lauren, in large frames, to remind everyone who lost her rights, and her life. That's what Jessica Lloyds mother did at the trial of former Col.Russell Williams. She also wore her ashes in a necklace. :(

I, personally, am sick and tired of so much leniency and allowances made for defendants in the name of "justice".

A vibrant young woman with everything in the world to live for, was heinously murdered and dismembered.

If her loved ones want to give her memory and spirit a "voice" in the courtroom, they damn well should be able to.

Sorry, but, this one just irks me to no end. Bring pictures of Lauren, in large frames, to remind everyone who lost her rights, and her life. That's what Jessica Lloyds mother did at the trial of former Col.Russell Williams. She also wore her ashes in a necklace. :(

Yeah and I am equally irked.

The "boyfriend" stating the defendant is "evil"..... errrm.... The local newspapers printing endless articles saying "she loved pink" and painting the defendant as some sort of freak when he just graduated from law school and has NO criminal record whatsoever. No criminal record and no prior incidents.

If there is REAL EVIDENCE then that will settle the matter. Guess evidence isn't the issue here. It is all about emotion and anger.

Why is expecting actual hard core evidence of a murder even an issue when accusing folks?

I just have to comment on the part of the article that I copied from Backwood's upthread link. "...involuntary statements made by McDaniel..." After viewing the infamous television interview of SM, I can't imagine him making an involuntary statement. He was certainly voluntary in his statements on television.

Cops get promoted to homicide because they get people to open up and they have a gift for emotional manipulation.

CopStoppers: I WANT A LAWYER! - YouTube

The "boyfriend" stating the defendant is "evil"..... errrm.... The local newspapers printing endless articles saying "she loved pink" and painting the defendant as some sort of freak when he just graduated from law school and has NO criminal record whatsoever. No criminal record and no prior incidents.

If there is REAL EVIDENCE then that will settle the matter. Guess evidence isn't the issue here. It is all about emotion and anger.

Why is expecting actual hard core evidence of a murder even an issue when accusing folks?

Are you suggesting the charges are contrived, and LE has no evidence?

Lawyers seek lower bond for McDaniel in Giddings

...In a motion filed Monday, McDaniel’s lawyers argue the judge should reconsider their client’s bond because prosecutors removed the option of the death penalty from the case in February. They also say the $850,000 amount is “tantamount to having denied bail” and is excessive. ...

...In a separate motion, Buford and Hogue are asking that a judge set a bond for the 30 counts of sexual exploitation of children charges against McDaniel. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503496/lawyers-seek-lower-bond-for-mcdaniel.html

If a bond is not set in the sexual exploitation case or reduced in the murder case, Buford and Hogue also requested that they be allowed to pick him up at the Bibb County jail each Friday at 9 a.m. and take him to their offices so he can help work on his case. They propose that they will return McDaniel to jail by 5 p.m., according to one of the motions.

http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503496/lawyers-seek-lower-bond-for-mcdaniel.html
Are these two insane? On what planet does a murder suspect get to leave jail, go to his Attorney's office to work on his own defense, then return to jail at closing time. SMH at their nerve to even file the motion. I'll bet Lauren's friend KM is seething ...

If only The Telegraph/macon.com would post some of these motions in their entirety, maybe we could see if any precedents are cited for the bond matters related to the murder charge.

On the request for bond for the sexual exploitation of children charges: There will be a hearing, no? Maybe if there is we will learn something more during it about the nature of the images, the flash drive, etc.

Are these two insane? On what planet does a murder suspect get to leave jail, go to his Attorney's office to work on his own defense, then return to jail at closing time.

On this planet. I know Hogue did that with another client, Pamela Moss, he even mentioned it to the judge (same judge that allowed it for Pamela Moss) and they reminisced about it during one of the court sessions that most of us watched.

I state just as I have in the past regarding criminal records: neither did Holmes in Colorado mass murder, Lanza in Newtown and/or the Boston Bombings' suspect Tsarnaev.......criminal record means nothin, aspergers and social inadequacies mean much more in these types of suspects and accused

When you're talking about the family and friends of the murder victim, of course there's a strong element of emotion directing their actions. Wouldn't you say they're entitled to a little anger? But despite the bf's comment, the G's are channeling their emotions in a positive way by wearing pink as a symbol of support for Lauren. More power to them! (Another family might allow their emotions to take them down a negative path by exacting revenge on the defendant's family.)

The time for evidence will come later when it will be up to a jury to decide its value. If the system works, emotion will have no part in it.

Regarding the issue of symbols and expressions in the courtroom, I wonder if the defendant's mother will carry her Bible into the courtroom. I have no problem with it, personally, and I'm not raising questions about religion and state, or anything along those lines. Strictly speaking about symbols and expressions, an argument could be made that a Bible in the hands of the defendant's mother is a form of non-verbal communication. IMO

I state just as I have in the past regarding criminal records: neither did Holmes in Colorado mass murder, Lanza in Newtown and/or the Boston Bombings' suspect Tsarnaev.......criminal record means nothin, aspergers and social inadequacies mean much more in these types of suspects and accused
Agreed. No priors can mean either the perp got caught the first time, or, his luck finally ran out. To take it a step further, academic and professional accomplishments don't preclude criminal impulses, and can be dangerously deceptive. Look at Russell Williams, a decorated colonel in the Canadian Forces, and one of the most depraved serial killers of modern times. He didn't have a record, either, when he was charged with the murders of two young women, and confessed to 82 home invasions, plusa slew of burglaries, fetish crimes, and sexual assaults.

By now we should all be aware that background isn't an adequate indicator of a person's criminal potential. When it comes down to it, as Sonya says, it really is all about the evidence. IMO

The Telegraph/macon.com has added pdfs of the bond motions on the murder charges and on the sexual exploitation charges at the link below (earlier story) -- look to the right, under the photograph, under heading "Other related content":

http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503496/lawyers-seek-lower-bond-for-mcdaniel.html

Still do not see the recent additional pre-trial defense motions posted though ... anybody else? I do hope they post them.

Thank you, Backwoods, for keeping us current for Lauren.

When you're talking about the family and friends of the murder victim, of course there's a strong element of emotion directing their actions. Wouldn't you say they're entitled to a little anger? But despite the bf's comment, the G's are channeling their emotions in a positive way by wearing pink as a symbol of support for Lauren. More power to them! (Another family might allow their emotions to take them down a negative path by exacting revenge on the defendant's family.)

The time for evidence will come later when it will be up to a jury to decide its value. If the system works, emotion will have no part in it.

Regarding the issue of symbols and expressions in the courtroom, I wonder if the defendant's mother will carry her Bible into the courtroom. I have no problem with it, personally, and I'm not raising questions about religion and state, or anything along those lines. Strictly speaking about symbols and expressions, an argument could be made that a Bible in the hands of the defendant's mother is a form of non-verbal communication. IMO

Nicely stated, Bessie, nicely stated. I could not agree more with every statement you made. Thank you for this encouraging reply. Thinking Pink that justice shall prevail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname