GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

This article mentions that authorities went to BH apts on saturday and sunday, June 25 and 26 from neighbor reports of foul odor, cutting back brush searching for source revealed a dead animal; what was it? possum, rat, "kittens"?

and saturday evening, SMD was lurking in those woods with a stick

was he looking or did he do it and why saturday the same day LG was last reported being seen

that's just too coincidental, not sure what it could mean but very ironic and has never left my mind

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/04/1619672/police-sifting-through-clues-in.html

Thank you for linking to that again. I had forgotten all about it. Knowing what we know now, it makes me wonder if someone could have acquired a dead animal (or even killed a living one) to mask a minor scene related to something far worse. I would assume that a dead animal would be promptly removed and the area cleaned, destroying unrelated evidence.

Just a discussion and updating my niece on the case she brought up something interesting, don't recall if it's been discussed here before except LG being afraid of "Macon Hoodlums" that she allegedly mentioned in her last email (or not)

But my niece wanted to know why she had teh doorstop there at all..............unless she was particularly afraid of someone nearby

She went on to say that if she (my niece) had two normal looking and normal acting fellows living below and beside her, she would not have ever thought of using a doorstick that her friends were nearby incase she needed them.

And on the contradictory side; yet she reportedly kept a key under the flower pot at her door (in case anyone needed to get in while she wasn't home?)

Being a law student and not from the area, did it heighten her fears of someone harming her or was she simply afraid of a nearby resident

Never thought of that angle before, being the age that I am, I would probably use a doorstick (and a ball bat and gun by my bedside) if I lived in Macon and I would never leave a key under my mat at the door, the fact that she did might also indicate she trusted her neighbors. I think she has relatives in Macon, so maybe they, on the other hand, suiggested the doorstick becuase of hoodlums in the area, which there are if you are on the major thoroughfares, esp car breakins if you park on the street, even in broad daylight

But it's interesting to imagine that she may have been afraid of him coming in on her at night after she'd gone to sleep

Would be terribly irony if that's what he did

I still wonder on that night that she disappeared and wonder about SMD demeanor while being observed by the friends friend beneath LG
I don't think this answers your questions, tomkat, but thought I'd bring it forward, anyway. We first learned that LG had a "door jam" from McD, himself.

MCDANIEL: No. I'm -- we're -- we don't know where she is. I mean, the only thing we can think is that maybe she went out running and someone snatched her, because I'm -- we went -- we went over -- one of her friends had a key. We went inside and tried to see if there was anything amiss, but the -- she had a door jamb that was sitting right by it. So there was no sign that anyone broke in. I mean, the door was locked when everyone got here. I mean, we just don't know where she is.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 25 June 2011

And in case anyone isn't familiar with a "door jam" security bar...

Iron Clad Alarm Security Bar - Door Jam Bar - Towel Bars - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AEuWZLs0L.@@AMEPARAM@@51AEuWZLs0L

This article mentions that authorities went to BH apts on saturday and sunday, June 25 and 26 from neighbor reports of foul odor, cutting back brush searching for source revealed a dead animal; what was it? possum, rat, "kittens"?

and saturday evening, SMD was lurking in those woods with a stick

was he looking or did he do it and why saturday the same day LG was last reported being seen

that's just too coincidental, not sure what it could mean but very ironic and has never left my mind

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/04/1619672/police-sifting-through-clues-in.html

bbm: tomkat, I believe the "Saturday and Sunday" referred to in the article at the link you posted is meaning July 2 and 3, after it was known that Lauren had been killed, not June 25 and 26.

From your link:

Macon police were back inside the apartment of Lauren Giddings on Sunday, looking for clues that would help them solve her disappearance and presumed slaying.

Saturday night and Sunday morning, workers also cleared property adjacent to apartments 13-16 at the Barristers Hall apartment complex, where Giddings lived, cutting back an overgrown area after receiving a tip about a “foul odor.”

Giddings was reported missing early Thursday. When police went to her apartment at 1058 Georgia Ave., they found a dismembered body outside. ...
The article is dated July 4, which was a Monday, and it seems to me that Saturday and Sunday clearly mean the ones just preceding that date.

Remember, local residents had been asked, by that time, to report any strange smells, etc., (after it was made public that not all of Lauren had been found) -- that's why people even would have reported the odor and why LE would have investigated.

(I do wonder, though, what sort of animal it was that was found.)

Question/s -- maybe some of you who have trial-watched more than me can offer some insight:

What is the significance, if there is any, of the language I've bolded in these excerpts from the two recent news reports about the two witnesses:

...Prosecutors filed a motion this week seeking a judge’s order to compel the girlfriend to testify at Stephen McDaniel’s murder trial...

...A second motion seeks to compel Bostic to testify at McDaniel’s trial. ...
http://www.macon.com/2014/04/11/3042178/affidavit-woman-saw-mcdaniel-in.html

Bibb County judge has ordered a man and woman from Columbia, S.C. (to) ... testify in Stephen McDaniel's murder trial. ...
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/04/11/witnesses-ordered-mcdaniel-case/7601185/

I don't know ... "compel" and "ordered" just sound so...compulsory? Almost as if there is resistance of some kind...?

But maybe this is just the normal wording of a motion seeking to summon any witness...? If that is the case ...do you think motions to summon other witnesses have already happened and the media just didn't cover them, maybe because they happened before the gag order, when news was more, um, plentiful?

If these witnesses are being "compelled" at a time after others ...why? Was the prosecution trying to keep them "under wraps" a bit? (Yet we know that at least the girlfriend was being discussed as early as December 2013 at a pretrial hearing....)

And, if ALL the witnesses are just now being "compelled", why are we only hearing about these?

Come to think of it ... how the heck, with the gag order and all, did the media get hold of this motion and affidavit?

:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: (<-- I think this is my very favorite WS smiley.)

Thank you for linking to that again. I had forgotten all about it. Knowing what we know now, it makes me wonder if someone could have acquired a dead animal (or even killed a living one) to mask a minor scene related to something far worse. I would assume that a dead animal would be promptly removed and the area cleaned, destroying unrelated evidence.

backwoods pointed out that it was the next week or two but when all this media coverage first came out that was the first thing I thought I remembered hearing was a dead animal being found causing a foul odor then a body

masking a scent of human remains was the first I thought of

Question/s -- maybe some of you who have trial-watched more than me can offer some insight:

What is the significance, if there is any, of the language I've bolded in these excerpts from the two recent news reports about the two witnesses:

http://www.macon.com/2014/04/11/3042178/affidavit-woman-saw-mcdaniel-in.html

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/04/11/witnesses-ordered-mcdaniel-case/7601185/

I don't know ... "compel" and "ordered" just sound so...compulsory? Almost as if there is resistance of some kind...?

But maybe this is just the normal wording of a motion seeking to summon any witness...? If that is the case ...do you think motions to summon other witnesses have already happened and the media just didn't cover them, maybe because they happened before the gag order, when news was more, um, plentiful?

If these witnesses are being "compelled" at a time after others ...why? Was the prosecution trying to keep them "under wraps" a bit? (Yet we know that at least the girlfriend was being discussed as early as December 2013 at a pretrial hearing....)

And, if ALL the witnesses are just now being "compelled", why are we only hearing about these?

Come to think of it ... how the heck, with the gag order and all, did the media get hold of this motion and affidavit?

:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: (<-- I think this is my very favorite WS smiley.)

I got a work related subpoena at school a couple of years ago. IIRC, it stated "hereby ordered".

I got a work related subpoena at school a couple of years ago. IIRC, it stated "hereby ordered".

Yes, as far as the wording is concerned, I really DO think it's just the legal language -- but it's odd, to me, how the media accentuated that (in headlines and leads and such).

And that still leaves the rest of the questions I posed in my post...

I'm inclined to think the media has known about these witnesses for a while but hasn't mentioned them -- except for that one brief (and quickly disappearing) clip WMAZ aired from the pretrial hearing where the female witness was being discussed.

I think the reason this subpoena seems more "formal" than normal (and why the prosecution has to file a motion with judge to request it) is because these witnesses are out of state, in South Carolina, so they aren't actually subject to a subpoena in Georgia. (For in-state witnesses, you don't need a judge to order it. The attorney as an officer of the court or a court clerk can issue them.) So instead of a subpoena, what the prosecution was actually asking for is a certificate requesting the attendance of an out of state witness. That cert would then go to a South Carolina judge, and the South Carolina judge would be the one to actually issue the summons.

At least I think that's what's going on, the articles aren't very clear. But that makes more sense.

I think the reason this subpoena seems more "formal" than normal (and why the prosecution has to file a motion with judge to request it) is because these witnesses are out of state, in South Carolina, so they aren't actually subject to a subpoena in Georgia. (For in-state witnesses, you don't need a judge to order it. The attorney as an officer of the court or a court clerk can issue them.) So instead of a subpoena, what the prosecution was actually asking for is a certificate requesting the attendance of an out of state witness. That cert would then go to a South Carolina judge, and the South Carolina judge would be the one to actually issue the summons.

At least I think that's what's going on, the articles aren't very clear. But that makes more sense.
Hi, Hyrax. :seeya: I started to post that last night, but had second thoughts because I have no idea what's transpired previously in regard to the witnesses. It's the most likely reason, though.

Ah, well that certainly sheds some light -- all makes better sense to me now. Thanks, Hyrax!

I don't think this answers your questions, tomkat, but thought I'd bring it forward, anyway. We first learned that LG had a "door jam" from McD, himself.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 25 June 2011

And in case anyone isn't familiar with a "door jam" security bar...

Iron Clad Alarm Security Bar - Door Jam Bar - Towel Bars - Amazon.com
BBM
Interesting that it was McD who mentioned the door jam. Seems he was implying that Lauren simply hadn't come home (deflecting suspicion away from the apartments), because the door jam would have been in place (and no one able to enter the apartment) if she had been home. Remember, if her torso hadn't been found before the trash was picked up at BH the following Thurs., LE wouldn't have any evidence that Lauren disappeared from her home. They would have no way of knowing whether she became a victim of crime or an accident while away from home ... somewhere on campus, while out running, etc.

I've thought the same as Tomkat ... LG was already dead when Bostic's GF saw McD outside, IMO. I don't think McD anticipated Bostic returning to his apartment that weekend, especially that late at night. He was taken off guard, but he tried to act nonchalant so as not to arouse suspicion about what he was doing. He may have gone inside his apartment after the encounter, since he knew someone was watching, but he could have returned to Lauren's apartment after Boyd went inside her BF's apartment.

I really think McD/the perp entered Lauren's apartment while she was picking up dinner at Zaxby's and waited for her. McD had a key to her apartment and the door jam wouldn't have been in place if Lauren wasn't home so he had easy access at that time. He may have entered Lauren's apartment again while Bostic and Boyd were in the apartment below hers to make them think Lauren was home and alive that night. MOO

BBM
Interesting that it was McD who mentioned the door jam. Seems he was implying that Lauren simply hadn't come home (deflecting suspicion away from the apartments), because the door jam would have been in place (and no one able to enter the apartment) if she had been home. Remember, if her torso hadn't been found before the trash was picked up at BH the following Thurs., LE wouldn't have any evidence that Lauren disappeared from her home. They would have no way of knowing whether she became a victim of crime or an accident while away from home ... somewhere on campus, while out running, etc.

I've thought the same as Tomkat ... LG was already dead when Bostic's GF saw McD outside, IMO. I don't think McD anticipated Bostic returning to his apartment that weekend, especially that late at night. He was taken off guard, but he tried to act nonchalant so as not to arouse suspicion about what he was doing. He may have gone inside his apartment after the encounter, since he knew someone was watching, but he could have returned to Lauren's apartment after Boyd went inside her BF's apartment.

I really think McD/the perp entered Lauren's apartment while she was picking up dinner at Zaxby's and waited for her. McD had a key to her apartment and the door jam wouldn't have been in place if Lauren wasn't home so he had easy access at that time. He may have entered Lauren's apartment again while Bostic and Boyd were in the apartment below hers to make them think Lauren was home and alive that night. MOO

These are some astute thoughts, IMO (on the guilt side of the fence, of course). Since the prosecution is basically saying they will use the testimony to set a timeline, I wonder if they are indeed going to propose, as you say, that Lauren was already deceased at the time of the witness's encounter with SM.

Thoughts/questions in response:

If Lauren was already (fairly newly) deceased when the witness encountered SM, though, why would SM have been out wandering about with a stick/staff? Scouting out disposal locations...or...?

Also: It is almost unbelievable to me that SM would have used the downstairs apartment for any activities after having that encounter with the tenant and his girlfriend -- unless, of course, as bessie wondered earlier, he may have known for SURE somehow that they were about to set off for a trip, etc., and wouldn't be likely to drop back in for a few days. (Indeed, regardless of SM's guilt or innocence, I still have my doubts that the downstairs apartment WAS used in relation to Lauren's murder -- though it may well have been.)

Wow, I would love to know the information that is in the affidavits from these two witnesses!

As I have said before, what Hogue said about the one (the female) witness in the short clip from the December pretrial hearing MAY have included some "defense spin", I don't know. But he seemed to be describing a scene where the witness saw and exchanged waves with SM and was at the same time aware of Lauren (Hogue said) moving around in her apartment. (Silhouette on the shade, maybe ...? Just guessing, Hogue didn't say that.) If that is true, the witness still could have HEARD more movement later, after she went in her boyfriend's apartment.

I can't recall if Hogue cited an "exact" time of the witness encounter with SM -- I'm thinking he gave something of a "ballpark" such as "around 10:30 or 11", but not exactly sure -- but it seemed he was looking at it as "timeline" material, too -- from the defense side. In the clip, as Hogue was talking quite matter-of-factly about SM's alleged location when the witness saw him, Judge Simms pretty much interrupted to say (with a bit of a raised eyebrow, I thought) something like "Which is the area where the torso was discovered...!" Hogue said yes, but that was later, and the witness said she was aware at the same time of Lauren moving around in her apartment, so "we know she was alive." Pretty sure he mentioned both the timing of incident and the time of Lauren's last email as fitting a scenario where Lauren was still alive at the time.

(All my "quotes" in paragraph above are definitely paraphrasing, but I think it's pretty close.)

I guess one "guilt" possibility, if witness DID see SM and become aware of movement in Lauren's apartment simultaneously, is that Lauren was by that time injured, or maybe bound...? (How heartbreaking would that be...) That I'd-call-it-vague FBI analysis described a scenario in which Lauren was removed from her apartment "to another location" by the perp; interestingly, it is not specific about whether this is thought to have occurred before or after her death. SM, if the perp, could have been scouting about for a place to which to remove her, I suppose, even while she was alive.

The clip of Hogue, by the way, did not reveal the identity of the witness -- it was a brief clip -- so if one viewed it one did not come away knowing that this had ANYTHING to do with the downstairs apartment, its tenant, or his girlfriend -- only that a female witness (who apparently could recognize SM, either before or after the fact) saw him. (It's clear to me now, though, after this latest news, that this was the witness being spoken about.)

Here is a little contradiction that continues to bother me. (I won't get into why it bothers me, right now, but leaving a note of it here to remind me later and for others, if they wish, to ponder.):

... One of Lauren's friends from law school conveyed to police the previous night that when he entered Lauren's apartment with others to check on her, that a front window was unlocked. ...
from bottom of page 11/top of page 12 of the pdf at this link:
http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/pdf/R...ess%20Keys.pdf

Compare to:

...There was no sign of forced entry to the apartment, and when the victim's friends entered the apartment, it was locked and secured. ...

from the FBI Investigative Analysis, as replicated in the pdf at the following link, with the quote coming in the "Crime Analysis" section, beginning of 4th paragraph, on page 21 of the pdf: http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wmaz/docs/fbi-mcdaniel.pdf

These are some astute thoughts, IMO (on the guilt side of the fence, of course). Since the prosecution is basically saying they will use the testimony to set a timeline, I wonder if they are indeed going to propose, as you say, that Lauren was already deceased at the time of the witness's encounter with SM.

Thoughts/questions in response:

If Lauren was already (fairly newly) deceased when the witness encountered SM, though, why would SM have been out wandering about with a stick/staff? Scouting out disposal locations...or...?

Also: It is almost unbelievable to me that SM would have used the downstairs apartment for any activities after having that encounter with the tenant and his girlfriend -- unless, of course, as bessie wondered earlier, he may have known for SURE somehow that they were about to set off for a trip, etc., and wouldn't be likely to drop back in for a few days. (Indeed, regardless of SM's guilt or innocence, I still have my doubts that the downstairs apartment WAS used in relation to Lauren's murder -- though it may well have been.)

Wow, I would love to know the information that is in the affidavits from these two witnesses!

As I have said before, what Hogue said about the one (the female) witness in the short clip from the December pretrial hearing MAY have included some "defense spin", I don't know. But he seemed to be describing a scene where the witness saw and exchanged waves with SM and was at the same time aware of Lauren (Hogue said) moving around in her apartment. (Silhouette on the shade, maybe ...? Just guessing, Hogue didn't say that.) If that is true, the witness still could have HEARD more movement later, after she went in her boyfriend's apartment.

I can't recall if Hogue cited an "exact" time of the witness encounter with SM, but it seemed he was looking at it as "timeline" material, too -- from the defense side. In the clip, as Hogue was talking quite matter-of-factly about SM's alleged location when the witness saw him, Judge Simms pretty much interrupted to say (with a bit of a raised eyebrow, I thought) something like "Which is the area where the torso was discovered...!" Hogue said yes, but that was later, and the witness said she was aware at the same time of Lauren moving around in her apartment, so "we know she was alive." He also mentioned the time of incident and the time of Lauren's last email as fitting a scenario where Lauren was still alive at the time.

(All my "quotes" in paragraph above are definitely paraphrasing, but I think it's pretty close.)

I guess one "guilt" possibility, if witness DID see SM and become aware of movement in Lauren's apartment simultaneously, is that Lauren was by that time injured, or maybe bound...? (How heartbreaking would that be...) That I'd-call-it-vague FBI analysis described a scenario in which Lauren was removed from her apartment "to another location" by the perp; interestingly, it is not specific about whether this is thought to have occurred before or after her death. SM, if the perp, could have been scouting about for a place to which to remove her, I suppose, even while she was alive.

The clip of Hogue, by the way, did not reveal the identity of the witness -- it was a brief clip -- so if one viewed it one did not come away knowing that this had ANYTHING to do with the downstairs apartment, its tenant, or his girlfriend -- only that a female witness (who apparently could recognize SM, either before or after the fact) saw him. (It's clear to me now, though, after this latest news, that this was the witness being spoken about.)
I could certainly see the testimony of the 2 witnesses being used for the defense. Even if Lauren was already dead at the time, Boyd had no way of knowing that so she would assume any noise coming from the apartment above was Lauren's movements. I do think the prosecution will challenge the defense's assumption that Lauren was still alive, but they cannot prove that Lauren was already deceased at that point. I don't think the timeline will really matter, anyway. Whether Lauren was murdered Saturday after returning from Zaxby's, or later that night, or Sunday or Monday, or whenever, it won't affect the evidence collected. And, we really don't know all of the evidence.

I, too, think it would be interesting to know the whole testimony of the witnesses. There are many questions/thoughts I have about the stick. It is actually described as "a large stick-like object" (http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/04/11/witnesses-ordered-mcdaniel-case/7601185/), so it could've been a number of things. When I first read about the GF's statement, I pictured SM with a branch off of a tree (isn't there a tree next to where the garbage cans are kept?). I suppose SM could've been using the stick to move trash in the garbage can around to determine if it could hold a body. But, why take it back to his apartment?

Isn't the maintenance room, where the hacksaw was located, accessible on the same side of the building as the garbage cans? Is there a tool other than the hacksaw that SM could have retrieved from the maintenance room, which he either used in the murder or to dismember the body? I wonder if any tools were missing from the maintenance room after 06/27/2011.

BBM

<rbbm>

Oh, Indy, regarding the bolded, that detail is always in the forefront of my mind when I think about Lauren's murder. Just mere minutes, and her name would have been added to that enormous list of cold cases that remain unsolved for decades, while loved ones endure lives tormented with fear and doubt. I wouldn't dream of speaking for the Giddings family, but the surviving loved ones in many cases would tell us nothing could be worse.

I agree that the neighbors weren't expected, and that rattled McD. Based on other facts we've learned thus far, however, I still disagree that the crime occurred prior to their arrival. The article said the young woman was waiting for her bf in the car when she saw McD. That would have signalled to him that they would be leaving the apartment soon. Even after she went inside, I don't think he would have risked going up the stairs knowing they could walk out at any moment. And they probably did. She wouldn't have stayed outside if they'd planned to be there for long. So I think the spotting of McD outside, and the movement heard upstairs, inside, occurred very close together. Almost spontaneously, as Backwoods said.

BW, if you're right about the time stated in the earlier report -- and I don't doubt for a second that you are, lol -- it would put to rest any speculation about who actually sent the email to DV. Going back to what you said about the judge's order, I didn't think much of it at the time because motions to compel are pretty common, and the witnesses do reside outside of the immediate area. But after you brought it up, and I read the articles again, I get your point. The way it was presented gave the impression there ws a sense of urgency surrounding that action, with heavy emphasis on establishing a timeline. So now I'm wondering if McD has an alibi for earlier in the evening, prior to say, 11 p.m., leaving the prosecution to show the crime took place later. Perhaps at a time that coincides with a break from his internet activity. jmo

April 18 would have been Lauren Giddings 30th birthday. North Laurel's Lauren Giddings' life was taken from her tragically down in Macon, Ga., in 2011. Lauren was studying for her bar exam when she was slain.

Lauren loved pink and running, so Agnes Scott College, her alma mater, decided to hold a 5K race in her honor. Then the race idea spread. All over the world in placed like China and Bulgaria, family and friends decided to run or walk a 5K in unison on the same day.

Over 60 people in our area walked or ran through North Laurel wearing pink. There were 29 locations around the world where friends and family joined in on April 5.

Agnes Scott is setting up a scholarship in her name. They also dedicated several benches on campus to her. Lauren will not be forgotten because she has so many friends and family members who will continue to make positive memories in her name. Lauren believed life should be lived to the fullest and helped many in her time. So remember to live Lauren's motto, wear pink and eat cake.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

... One of Lauren's friends from law school conveyed to police the previous night that when he entered Lauren's apartment with others to check on her, that a front window was unlocked. ...

and

There are many questions/thoughts I have about the stick. It is actually described as "a large stick-like object" (http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/loc...-case/7601185/), so it could've been a number of things.

I don't think there's really any evidence to support it, but I've wondered if there's some connection. The window and the door of the apartment look to be ~4 ft apart; if the door jam were in place, could a long stick have been used to reach through the window and knock it loose? That would only make sense if the window could be opened enough to get a stick through, but not enough for a person to just enter through the window. So probably not. Still can't think of anything else he might have been using a stick for, though.

Here is a little contradiction that continues to bother me. (I won't get into why it bothers me, right now, but leaving a note of it here to remind me later and for others, if they wish, to ponder.):

from bottom of page 11/top of page 12 of the pdf at this link:
http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/pdf/R...ess%20Keys.pdf

Compare to:

from the FBI Investigative Analysis, as replicated in the pdf at the following link, with the quote coming in the "Crime Analysis" section, beginning of 4th paragraph, on page 21 of the pdf: http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wmaz/docs/fbi-mcdaniel.pdf
I missed this post earlier, BW. TY for posting it! Going with the later timeline, it elicits some new thoughts...

If Lauren was still alive while the visitors were downstairs; if she were at home and had set the door jam, then someone may have entered her apartment while she was away sometime earlier, using a key, and unlocked a window -- raising it slightly -- with a plan of entering through the window during the dark hours of the night...knowing that Lauren habitually set the door jam as soon as she got home. He would have left through the front door, removing the door jam from place.

With that it mind, and assuming that McD is the perp, I wonder it the "stick-like object" he had outside was a tool for prying the window open. Could he have gotten the tool from the maintenance room? Or, maybe it was a tree branch. IIRC, doesn't McD like to whittle? He could have fashioned a crowbar from a sturdy stick.

The statement that LG's apartment was locked and secured may refer to the door being locked, and no signs of a broken window. In this article, the LEO who responded to a call Wed. night emphasized that the door was locked and there were no signs anyone had broken in: http://www.macon.com/2012/06/24/2071775/night-of-panic-the-evening-before.html. The officer didn't even enter LG's apartment. I wonder, too, if McD had the opportunity to return to lock the window that another friend noted was unlocked, possibly as the rest of the group moved to another room.

and

I don't think there's really any evidence to support it, but I've wondered if there's some connection. The window and the door of the apartment look to be ~4 ft apart; if the door jam were in place, could a long stick have been used to reach through the window and knock it loose? That would only make sense if the window could be opened enough to get a stick through, but not enough for a person to just enter through the window. So probably not. Still can't think of anything else he might have been using a stick for, though.

Hyrax, we had the same thought! I was thinking through how everything might fit together.

Good thinking, guys. I'n curious about the source of the ststement. Which "law school friend" reported the window was unlocked?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back