GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

I could certainly see the testimony of the 2 witnesses being used for the defense. Even if Lauren was already dead at the time, Boyd had no way of knowing that so she would assume any noise coming from the apartment above was Lauren's movements. I do think the prosecution will challenge the defense's assumption that Lauren was still alive, but they cannot prove that Lauren was already deceased at that point. I don't think the timeline will really matter, anyway. Whether Lauren was murdered Saturday after returning from Zaxby's, or later that night, or Sunday or Monday, or whenever, it won't affect the evidence collected. And, we really don't know all of the evidence.

I, too, think it would be interesting to know the whole testimony of the witnesses. There are many questions/thoughts I have about the stick. It is actually described as "a large stick-like object" (http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/04/11/witnesses-ordered-mcdaniel-case/7601185/), so it could've been a number of things. When I first read about the GF's statement, I pictured SM with a branch off of a tree (isn't there a tree next to where the garbage cans are kept?). I suppose SM could've been using the stick to move trash in the garbage can around to determine if it could hold a body. But, why take it back to his apartment?

Isn't the maintenance room, where the hacksaw was located, accessible on the same side of the building as the garbage cans? Is there a tool other than the hacksaw that SM could have retrieved from the maintenance room, which he either used in the murder or to dismember the body? I wonder if any tools were missing from the maintenance room after 06/27/2011.

bbm: I'm not sure where the laundry room/maintenance closet area is in relation to the garbage can area, but you're right, the relationship/likely route is interesting to contemplate.

As for stick-like tools that might have come from there, I think tomkat had a good suggestion (bbm):

shovel handle, they are about 4 ft long without the spade, don't seem like you could bludgeon someone with a small long stick but people do use axes, if it was the night of the disappearance and there was noise in her apt, maybe she was already dead and the noise they heard was him and not lauren

Did anyone dig, even if the dogs didnt' catch a scent?

I guess the question for the prosecutors would be "did you hear the sound in SMD apt simultaneous to the sounds in LG apt or at the same time?"

and

"did SMD seem out of sorts in any way? Dirty? glassy eyed? or did he seem casual and friendly when he waved back?

I guess SM, if the perp and if it was premeditated, might have been "borrowing" a tool, a shovel, for planned ways of covering evidence...ways that, in the end, he maybe didn't use.

I think, though, the witness would have been pretty likely to notice the scoop part of the shovel and identify it as such, rather than just noticing a long, stick-like object.

I'm really thinking it was the "staff stick" that perfect-murder-talk witness Garrison said SM owned (I linked his quote a page or two back).

Good thinking, guys. I'n curious about the source of the ststement. Which "law school friend" reported the window was unlocked?

Are you thinking, bessie, that it might have been SM himself?

Thought crossed my mind. At the time the friends were first talking to police, things he said would have been noted in much the same way and given the same weight as reports from the others probably; then, after he became the main suspect, his remarks would have been looked at in a different light.

I do think this was probably said by someone else, but I DO wonder...

Getting close to the trial date. Does anyone think there will be a plea deal?

bbm: I'm not sure where the laundry room/maintenance closet area is in relation to the garbage can area, but you're right, the relationship/likely route is interesting to contemplate.

As for stick-like tools that might have come from there, I think tomkat had a good suggestion (bbm):

I guess SM, if the perp and if it was premeditated, might have been "borrowing" a tool, a shovel, for planned ways of covering evidence...ways that, in the end, he maybe didn't use.

I think, though, the witness would have been pretty likely to notice the scoop part of the shovel and identify it as such, rather than just noticing a long, stick-like object.

I'm really thinking it was the "staff stick" that perfect-murder-talk witness Garrison said SM owned (I linked his quote a page or two back).

I haven't been all the way down in there, but the units are deep into the property,and narrow , I"m not sure how many units but 4 on the front where LG and SM lived and the driveway down into the property is on the right, I am guessing there are other trashcans down in there, LG and SM apts, if I remember correctly were attached to 4 others on the back, so basically an octo unit, I think others were seperat as you go down into the property, so the big dumpster was on the left, by LG and their trashcan or cans were in the front also,
I think it was discussed that the laundry/storage was at the ends, probably can see it on google maps
So i picture SM walking down the left side of the property to stay off the driveway but ofcourse there is parking as you round the front building LG lived in, seems there are trees and woods to the left, woods to the right also but buildings may back up to it
not sure the whole layout but I can picutre someone trying to stay out of peoples vision on the left

yes just went to google maps and again, the driveway is all the way down the right side, trees to right of it and a house, buildings are left of the driveway

the left side of the units by LG, DARK, trees, he was up to soemthing for sure, why go traipsing down in there the night LG went missing

Was it dark at this time, when GF saw him?

hmmm, plotting and planning

weeeiird

yes just went to google maps and again, the driveway is all the way down the right side, trees to right of it and a house, buildings are left of the driveway

the left side of the units by LG, DARK, trees, he was up to soemthing for sure, why go traipsing down in there the night LG went missing

Was it dark at this time, when GF saw him?

hmmm, plotting and planning

weeeiird

If it was in the 10:30-11:00 p.m. range, which I believe it was, it would have been dark.

Wonder if there is much lighting (on-at-dusk thingies) on that side of the building. Also wonder whether the witness noticed if SM was carrying a light of some kind.

One thing he could have been doing, IF he was planning to do something to Lauren, was checking her windows -- some of her windows would have been alongside that side of the building, right? Could have been trying to determine if she had retired for the night, etc.

We've always wondered whether the electricity was still on in the tenant-in-the-process-of-moving-out downstairs apartment. I guess we still don't know for sure -- I tend to think it was. But if SM was out and about and saw lights go on in that usually-dark apartment -- whether apartment lights or a flashlight -- that might have brought him back towards the front to check out what the activity was all about.

If it was in the 10:30-11:00 p.m. range, which I believe it was, it would have been dark.

Wonder if there is much lighting (on-at-dusk thingies) on that side of the building. Also wonder whether the witness noticed if SM was carrying a light of some kind.

One thing he could have been doing, IF he was planning to do something to Lauren, was checking her windows -- some of her windows would have been alongside that side of the building, right? Could have been trying to determine if she had retired for the night, etc.

We've always wondered whether the electricity was still on in the tenant-in-the-process-of-moving-out downstairs apartment. I guess we still don't know for sure -- I tend to think it was. But if SM was out and about and saw lights go on in that usually-dark apartment -- whether apartment lights or a flashlight -- that might have brought him back towards the front to check out what the activity was all about.

sounds plausible but I guess her lights could be seen on from the front as well with bdrm door open and her Living rooms blinds closed, her bdrm is in the back of her apt I think but if her door was closed to her bdrm he may not could have seen if her lights were on from the porch, so to be sure, maybe thats why he was lurking there

the witness didnt' mention a flashlight that we know of

also, there is access to the parking lot to the attached apts behind SM and LG, so could be used as a shortcut to go wherever it was he was (or was not) going but if you dont' want to be seen as easily take teh shortcut

funny when i looked up google maps, i zoomed in on the driveway entrance on the right of the complex and someone was walking down the hill on the driveway, didn't appear to have long bushy hair lol

whatever he was doing, it's easy to walk down either side, just depends on if you wish to be easily seen or not and like you mentioned her apt is to the left where the woods and flower beds are

maybe the stick was to whack a barking dog with, course that would have caused more of a scene but many carry sticks becuase of dogs in the area when walking, maybe the stick was meant for butterbean if he didnt' know if he was there or not

wasn't sure if the time was 8 or 830, would have been light during june at this time, thanks

probably dusk lights throughout the complex in or by the parking lots which could have lit up the flower beds and tree lined side a little, still suspicious he was over there, trees would have hid him a little

seems everything that has happend was on the left, the dumpster, the trash can, LG apt, SM with stick and LG bdrm window

I don't think the timeline will really matter, anyway. Whether Lauren was murdered Saturday after returning from Zaxby's, or later that night, or Sunday or Monday, or whenever, it won't affect the evidence collected. And, we really don't know all of the evidence.

The timeline should be simple to figure out IF her torso still contained her stomach and intestines. We know exactly when she picked up food at Zaxbys so if the food was eaten that would imply she wasn't killed the moment she walked in the door, though the killer could have been in the apartment and waited quietly. With stomach contents that should nail down the time of death pretty accurately if it occurred within 12 hours of eating.

I don't know how long the stomach contents would be viable if the body was in a serious state of decay but it should show something. Course early on there was a rumor that the lower part of the torso was missing so perhaps all of that evidence is gone.

Even without stomach contents if the Zaxby food was eaten that is telling, while it is remotely possible she could have been ambushed the second she walked in the door and then her dinner was eaten or removed from the apartment by the killer later that seems highly unlikely.

The did find the receipt and trash from the meal right? She didn't eat it in the car on the way home, but she brought it home, correct?

The did find the receipt and trash from the meal right? She didn't eat it in the car on the way home, but she brought it home, correct?

I don't think there would be anything relevant from the Zaxby's meal. She went to the drive-through at around 6:30, and probably ate in the car, since the bag/wrapper were found there. Her last e-mail was at 10:30. A meal takes 2-5 hours to digest, so it's unlikely any useful conclusions could be drawn based on the digestion rate from that.

It does seem like she had a study beer when she got home, though, and she may have also been snacking or something later that night. If so, that might help narrow down the timeline some.

1980308_10203443350584929_2640155590355031272_o.jpg

1922510_10203443351704957_4577721157575507675_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/LaurenTeresaGiddings

Lauren's 30th Birthday today ... my thoughts are with her family and friends today.

The timeline should be simple to figure out IF her torso still contained her stomach and intestines. We know exactly when she picked up food at Zaxbys so if the food was eaten that would imply she wasn't killed the moment she walked in the door, though the killer could have been in the apartment and waited quietly. With stomach contents that should nail down the time of death pretty accurately if it occurred within 12 hours of eating.

I don't know how long the stomach contents would be viable if the body was in a serious state of decay but it should show something. Course early on there was a rumor that the lower part of the torso was missing so perhaps all of that evidence is gone.

Even without stomach contents if the Zaxby food was eaten that is telling, while it is remotely possible she could have been ambushed the second she walked in the door and then her dinner was eaten or removed from the apartment by the killer later that seems highly unlikely.

her location is within 5 min or less of zaxbys so probably didn't eat all of it in the car, could have nibbled on fries on the way

also, wasn't there some reporting or confusion later about whether the zaxbys wrappers were in the car or in the apt on counter ?

why would the lower torso be missing? I mean what does that imply? this is gross but is it easy to separate, god that's nauseating, but just curious the reason for such if he was going to put it in the trash anyway, unless as suggested early on, he got in a hurry becuase of her being reported missing sooner than he'd planned, clearly fate wasn't on HIS side! Thank God, oh what a difference a day makes

I'm still wondering if the reported noises in the 2 upstairs apartments were simultaneous or at the same time

Thinking of Lauren

on her 30th birthday ...

:cupcake::cupcake::cupcake::cupcake::cupcake:

Prayers for her family
(including her "son", Butterbean)

McDaniel motions hearing scheduled for Monday

...It is unclear what will be argued during Monday’s hearing....
more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/04/18/3054311/mcdaniel-motions-hearing-scheduled.html?sp=/99/148/

Article at the link does mention a few pending motions that are possibilities for the hearing. (One it does not mention is the "sea of pink" motion -- IIRC, we have not yet heard any ruling on that, though perhaps one has been made and it just has not been reported in the media.)

ETA:

McDaniel case lawyers head back to court Monday

A 9 a.m. motions hearing is scheduled before Judge Howard SImms in Bibb County Superior Court. That's according to a news release from the office of District Attorney David Cooke. ...

more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/cr.../18/mcdaniel-lawyers-motions-hearing/7886681/

I don't think there would be anything relevant from the Zaxby's meal. She went to the drive-through at around 6:30, and probably ate in the car, since the bag/wrapper were found there. Her last e-mail was at 10:30. A meal takes 2-5 hours to digest, so it's unlikely any useful conclusions could be drawn based on the digestion rate from that.

You are assuming she died after 10:30, others are wondering if she was ambushed and killed as soon as she returned from Zaxby's and whether the renter below heard Lauren or someone else moving around in the apartment.

They don't just estimate based on stomach contents but also what is in the small bowel. Thing is the bacteria in the intestines rapidly speeds of decay so I would wonder if any of the material would be identifiable after 5 days.

If the stomach, at autopsy, is found to be filled with food, and digestion of the contents not extensive, it is reasonable to assume that death followed shortly after the meal. If the stomach is entirely empty, death probably took place at least 4 to 6 hours after the last meal. If the small intestine is also empty, the probability is that death took place at least 12 or more hours after the last meal. In certain cases the medical examiner will be able to determine the type of food, which still remains in the stomach, if matched with the last known meal. This can help establish a time period.
http://www.practicalhomicide.com/Research/LOmar2007.htm

Coincidentally, gastric emptying is up for debate by state and defense expert witnesses in the Oscar Pistorius trial.

In Lauren's case, it's significant only if analysis showed she died very soon after consuming the Zaxby's meal. It would then be apparent that the attack and death came close together, and early in the evening. As the gap widens between Zaxby's and estimated time of death based on gastric emptying, the less significant the latter becomes, even if accurate. Why? Because the missing part of the equation is the interval from time of attack to time of death.

6:30 -----7:00 TOD <<<-- pretty obvious

6:30-----------------------------9:30 TOD?????

6:30----------------------------------------------------Midnight????????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back