GA - Rapper Young + others indicted on RICO & other charges, May 2022. Trial ongoing April 2023, interruptions, lawyer arrested. Fulton County.

First motion being taken up is YoungThug's motion relating to the use of lyrics by prosecutors.The motion was filed after the recent ruling by the GA Supreme Court relating to a murder conviction tossed after a rap video was played at trial.

Judge Glanville is giving both sides 30 minutes each to argue their side, since he has read the case already and he has previously ruled on this before the Georgia Supreme Court issued their ruling.

"The state has to lay a proper foundation before they can admit these (lyrics) but the foundation now, according to Baker, is really tied hard to specific facts and not just generalities," Young 's attorney Brian Steel said in his argument about the rap lyrics.

Steel took less than the allotted 30 minutes by Glanville. Now, Shannon Stillwell's attorney Max Schardt is up to present his argument regarding the GA Supreme Court decision. He is playing a social media rap video of Stillwell.

Assistant DA Dane Uhelski is making the argument for the state. He is given the same 30 minutes as the defense.

"Baker leaves the court's lyrics order undisturbed, that's the headline here," Uhelski said.Glanville ruled last year certain lyrics can be used as evidence if prosecutors could lay the foundation for how those words pertained to alleged YSL crimes.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/youn...-used-as-evidence/QMZX5PIR2VHIRKD7DBDAW4ZDK4/

Judge Glanville DENIES #YoungThug's motion regarding the lyrics. The lyrics he let in in the beginning of this case still will come in.

Lunch until 1:35pm. Then we will hear more motions including defendant Kendrick's motion about time wasting/duplicative witnesses, etc..

@cathyrusson

@JozsefPapp_

Glanville denies Young 's and Stillwell's motions relating to the Baker case. "The court is still of the opinion that Baker, although good law, does not apply at this point in time to the facts and circumstances of matters involving Mr. Williams and Mr. Stillwell."

12:58 PM · Apr 2, 2024

Lunch break until 1:35 p.m.

1:03 PM · Apr 2, 2024

@JozsefPapp_

Judge Glanville just said he plans to take up the motion to disqualify ADA Love on Thursday morning. The motion was filed yesterday by YoungThug’s attorney Brian Steel. The state has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to file their response.

2:14 PM · Apr 2, 2024

Last edited:
@cathyrusson

Judge Glanville addressing Weinstein's motion about time wasting. He says there's blame to go all around.

Glanville says first, one of the problems is attorneys bringing up arguments, or late disclosures while the jury is in the back waiting. He says some of these arguments take hours. Some of things may or may not have been disclosed in discovery but then he has to "unwind it".

1712082225908.png

I'm waiting for the judge to take accountability for his part in the delays/length of this trial......

I don't believe this for a minute. He can't even hold court for 6 hours a day.

Suurrreeee

Glanville briefly mentions he's allowed admin days so the attorneys can work out these issues. (So is he saying ALL the time and days off were to allow attorneys work on theses things?)

Prosecutor Love says she thinks they have about 150 more witnesses in roughly 120 days. What does she consider days? Right now they average 2-4 hour days.

120 days - IF there are 5 day weeks, that's 24 more weeks. Note, there are never 5 day weeks on a consistent basis.

That's through mid-September IF they take no time off, which of course they are going to take time off. ALSO, that's ONLY the state's case. Not the 6 defendants.

The state's estimation doesn't take into account cross-exam. It's very likely they won't rest until the end of the year at the earliest.

Edited: include a few more X posts.

Last edited:
#YSL Judge Ural Glanville shared his thoughts on a defense attorney's motion to limit witnesses due to delays in the RICO Case. Judge Glanville provided some changes that would happen to help the case move faster, including the possibility of having the trial on Saturdays and Sundays.

Judge Glanville is now handling the motion filed by Deamonte Kendrick to limit witnesses.

https://ajc.com/news/crime/young--trial-could-last-until-2027-lawyer-says/FO2DGH4IGRA73DCPCXR3D5IUXY/#YSL #YoungThug

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/youn...7-lawyer-says/FO2DGH4IGRA73DCPCXR3D5IUXY/#YSL

Glanville said delays occur when attorneys bring up "substantive issues" just before he brings out the jury. He tends to ask them, "Is there anything else we need to take up?" before bringing up the jury, and a lot of times, attorneys bring something up which delays proceedings.

"I would rather not call or have jurors present if you all have substantive things to take that I'm aware of," Glanville told defense attorneys.

"I've had to excuse our jurors, sometimes for hours, in respect to try and unravel issues that you present to the court," Glanville told defense attorneys.

"I cannot take up your issues while we have jurors waiting to come out, that seems to be the biggest argument between both of you," Glanville said. "This is certainly something that bothers the court.”

Glanville asked ADA Love if the state has a list of potential witnesses and the days it's going to take the state to present the rest of its case."I don't have that for the court," Love replied.

"How many days more of trial do you think your case in chief will take?" Glanville asked ADA Love.Love didn't have an answer ready for Glanville.

Glanville seems to be annoyed at both defense attorneys and prosecutors for delaying the trial and causing a lot of starts and stops due to them not being able to resolve issues before the jury is called or during administrative days.

Glanville has decided that on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays court will start at 8:45 a.m. to take up anything before the jury arrives.

Glanville has decided to exclude any evidence, documents or pictures that aren't timely disclosed. If defense attorneys argue that something wasn't timely disclosed, the state will have to tell the court what date they disclosed that evidence.

It seems that Glanville is tired of having the jury sitting in the backroom every day for hours while attorneys argue different motions and issues outside the presence of the jury.

Glanville said he is going to start excusing the jury for the day, if there are things he needs to take up and they will take a long time to resolve.

Glanville just said, if necessary, he will start having court on Saturday and Sunday. "If you don't want your Saturday and Sunday sucked up, I think we need to work a little harder, in terms of being able to streamline," Glanville said.

"I don't want to be in 2027 trying this case, or as Mr. Steel said, I don't want to be here next Super Bowl trying this case," Glanville said."I'd like to watch the Super Bowl without having to come back to try your case. I hope your case is resolved by that time," - Glanville.

"There is enough blame to go around but you all are going to have to, as I've said before, do better," Glanville told attorneys. "I shouldn't be having these many discussions and interruptions," Glanville said.

Glanville said he has been considering all these changes for some time, even before Kendrick's motion was filed.

"How many more days and witnesses you think you'll have?" Glanville asked ADA Love."We think 150 witnesses your honor and, roughly, 120 days," ADA Love said.

"We hope to be able to prove everything that we intend to put before this jury in our case in chief with these (150) witnesses," Love told Judge Glanville.

Glanville said he wants to see the full list of 150 state witnesses and what they are going to testify to by tomorrow.

Attorney Doug Weinstein said at this pace, with 150 witnesses and 120 days, they will be making bets with each other for Super Bowl 2026. He asks Glanville to limit the state witnesses.

"Unless you exert some type of limit, we are never going to get through this (case), even working on the weekends," Weinstein told Glanville imploring him to use his authority as judge to limit witnesses.

"We are losing our jurors," Weinstein said. He said sometimes he sees them taking notes but other times they have tuned out. (Note: it's hard to see the jurors from where the media is required to sit inside the courtroom)

"We are looking at another six months and I think we are asking a lot of our jurors, so I want you to really to look at the number of witnesses you are going to call and the number of counts you are going to prove," Glanville told ADA Love.

Judge Glanville plans to deal with the state witness list tomorrow at 11 a.m.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back