George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we can get to the point where we don't have to be babysat and give the mods a break...and we can have a thread open all night! LOL!!

But I understand why it has to happen.

Let's continue to prove ourselves...that we can be good!!! I know today was hard for a lot of us...but having to think before posting is ALWAYS A GOOD THING!!!

Thanks mods for giving us a chance. I know it's a thankless job...but I will give you all a BIG HUGE THANKS ANYWAY!!!

Homicide just means that he was killed by someone. It's not the same as murder. Just like calling Travyon the victim. He's a victim of homicide, but not necessarily of murder. I know you followed the Arias trial, too. Same issue there with the defense trying to prevent the state from referring to Alexander as the "victim." They lost and that's why, imo. I don't know if the defense would try to exclude it. More likely they'll just explain the difference. jmo

Thank you so much! So glad you are on as you are so knowledgeable about courts. This case is seemingly so different from the JA case. Do you think that the make up of the jury will be key?

I still can't believe the knock-knock joke! So disrespectful to everyone involved. Also, can't believe the defense allowed the prior calls in without objecting, then tries to object. Not a very good start for the defense. It struck me odd that Zimmerman was falling asleep too. He's on trial for murder and he can't keep his eyes open. Odd.

I have a feeling that attorney will never live down his bad choice with that joke--nor should he. Why he didn't realize at some point before the trial that it would be a huge flop, for so many reasons, is beyond me. I'm embarrassed for him and the whole defense team.

About this whole left/right handed thing.

I mean, really? ANOTHER trial where the defendant is ambidextrous???

Is that a common trait I have somehow missed hearing about all my life? LOL!! Not saying I haven't heard of it, but that's pretty remarkable.

The 2 "big trials" of the year and BOTH defendants happen to be ambidextrous?? Nah...I think something weird is going on!

Anyone know who is on the witness list tomorrow? First, they try to get the tapes they played in court today thrown out. I don't think they will get the tapes out and that bell has already been rung.

4 witnesses today. I like this judge!

I have a feeling that attorney will never live down his bad choice with that joke--nor should he. Why he didn't realize at some point before the trial that it would be a huge flop, for so many reasons, is beyond me. I'm embarrassed for him and the whole defense team.

all the news stations were comparing it to prosecutor letting oj put on the glove:banghead:

i have heard 1 to 8 -depending on where u read, i have only heard 1 from the police myself and ppl who post and go on tv saying as much as 8

These "people" have probably gone to the public web-site of the city where it is documented that there were EIGHT burglaries in GZ's neighborhood in the past 14 months before this happened. I am surprised the police would say ONE since this is absolutely untrue!

On CNN I think, last year, they did a story about a young widow who had a baby in the house and her young husband had just died of cancer. Somebody was trying to break into her home to steal her husband's Hospice narcotics and she blew them away with a shotgun. Her state had a Stand Your Ground Law and she was never charged as it fell under the law. She was absolutely right to protect herself and her baby.

I think they were using the story to highlight the benefit of the law. I just don't know how the law applies in this case. Hopefully, the judge will instruct or the lawyers will.

Thank you so much! So glad you are on as you are so knowledgeable about courts. This case is seemingly so different from the JA case. Do you think that the make up of the jury will be key?

The jury make-up is ALWAYS key.

On CNN I think, last year, they did a story about a young widow who had a baby in the house and her young husband had just died of cancer. Somebody was trying to break into her home to steal her husband's Hospice narcotics and she blew them away with a shotgun. Her state had a Stand Your Ground Law and she was never charged as it fell under the law. She was absolutely right to protect herself and her baby.

I think they were using the story to highlight the benefit of the law. I just don't know how the law applies in this case. Hopefully, the judge will instruct or the lawyers will.

They've decided not to use SYG in this case. It's strictly classic self defense. It's confusing though, because the relevant FLA statutes address both SYG and classic self defense.

Hi Everyone,

I will be closing this thread at 12:15 AM Eastern. In about 20 minutes.

Thank you for your participation.

A new discussion thread will be opened up in the AM.

Goodnight.
Tricia

all the news stations were comparing it to prosecutor letting oj put on the glove:banghead:

Yes, I saw that! Personally though, I think it was far worse since it was so disrespectful. A young man is dead----not a time to try out jokes. Did he really think the jurors (or anyone else) would laugh? Did he think it would add anythng to the defense? It was just so.....so .....so......DUMB!

These "people" have probably gone to the public web-site of the city where it is documented that there were EIGHT burglaries in GZ's neighborhood in the past 14 months before this happened. I am surprised the police would say ONE since this is absolutely untrue!

I think there was only one solved.

Zimmerman went with self-defense, not Stand Your Ground. HTH.

Were there specific instructions that no emotions could be displayed in court? Earlier, some were saying that TM mom left the courtroom when the 911 tape was played and that it was not allowed? TIA

I keep wondering about an odd point..one about the law. And since I am not a lawyer perhaps somone can weigh in. When someone is accused of murder and they claim self defense Is it improper to call the deceased the victim before a verdict is rendered?If the jury finds GZ not gulity hen they have in fact said TM was not a victim. I'm wondering about this because the judge just ruled that TM's parents can be in the court room becuase they are the "victim's" family.
Interesting point, but as GZ has been indicted for a crime, that IMO makes TM the victim. I think of JA's defense (sorry, slightly OT)...she claimed self-defense, would anyone think that TA wasn't a victim? I see the nuance of what you're saying, though.
I'm kinda glad that the Judge is sticking with keeping witnesses sequestered. IMHO, having certain grandparents/witnesses in the courtroom worked against the State in another highly publicized Flordia case.

About 7 minutes to go before thread is shut down for the night :)

I think there was only one solved.

and here is the problem all the evidence that has been on the news - imo this case became a battle of the networks and each side gave totally opposite info, so what i am doing is only going by the evidence in the court or evidence that came from the courts and can be traced back to exactly where is came from - there is way to much incindiary info out on both sides that is not true

Were there specific instructions that no emotions could be displayed in court? Earlier, some were saying that TM mom left the courtroom when the 911 tape was played and that it was not allowed? TIA

i think that is pretty status quo in all cases like these

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member